Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
(Job 40:15) Behold, Bevemoth, which I made as I made you; he kicks rear end like an ox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
aw, gently caress

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lotta good av material in this pic i found in an ancient images folder on and old hard drive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Fabricated posted:

Campus network just completely fell over. Glad I don't work on it but I'm baffled how we have these infrastructure issues every single august

same. software we bought in april still hasn't been installed on the license servers and none of the students have VPN access.

apparently there are currently about three full time IT people working the department and 20 temps and students, for a campus of 18,000 all online.

A+

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
beep gettin' ready to post

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

same. software we bought in april still hasn't been installed on the license servers and none of the students have VPN access.

apparently there are currently about three full time IT people working the department and 20 temps and students, for a campus of 18,000 all online.

A+
It's unfortunate but nobody could have foreseen schools having to switch to online classes before last week.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

A+
We're getting buried in poo poo being caused by a series of lovely turnkey solutions and backend network stuff that my group flat out does not administer. All of our misery is from stuff we have no control over and it's real basic poo poo. VPN issues, Gigapop issues, DNS issues, etc. Just nonstop.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i need to take some time off and I can't really afford to. i wanted to maybe go back to school for a master's degree since i dont want to gently caress with the job market right now as a recent grad. my friend who started working at the same place as me got upgraded to full time after his first year, but that was last year. my contract was renewed back in may but i stayed on a part time contract so i earn like half as much and don't get PTO. if it weren't for the pandemic i'd probably quit, but that feels like a bad decision currently. besides, i'm not sure i actually have any useful skills. it feels like the vast majority of the computer janitoring i do is insanely specific to the place i work at because i'm janitoring in-house tools implemented on my own company's hardware. i can kind of code a bit and i guess i did learn a bit about telecom stuff at school/work. i also don't particularly want to go back to school but everyone around me keeps pushing the narrative that i should. and all my coworkers are either working on their masters' degrees or already have them. so maybe if i want to stay in this industry then i should go for it? i'm tired of my job but the technology i janitor is cool. this post is rambly, idk why i'm writing it. i felt like venting to other people than those i usually bother, i guess.

also my city got upgraded from green to yellow zone status because of the rising number of infections to keep this more relevant lmao

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
as a computer toucher with a master's degree, you do not need a master's degree to have a successful career in computer touching. practical experience is just as valuable if not more so. the main reason to get the MS is because your bachelor's is from a foreign school that no one in the united states knows anything about (or your major was not CS or any adjacent subject). then it gets you past gates that would otherwise be closed to you. but there are very few gates that specifically require an MS. i have mine due to dropping out of a phd program lol

DELETE CASCADE fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 27, 2020

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i also do not live in the us, so that makes going back to school easier lol. instead i live in the catholic alabama of europe.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
oh. my comments are not really relevant then sorry.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Fatal Error posted:

n the catholic alabama of europe.

ok, so lemme see ...

guess #1: Bavaria?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rural italy?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wrt getting a masters to get a better job: idk what its like where you are but this always feels like a bad idea to me. At some point 2 years experience in a different place is more valuable than another degree. A masters isn't vocational school. I mean, unless it actually is where you are, in which case a masters is vocational school and you should ignore me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Fool posted:

rural italy?

eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

rotor posted:

ok, so lemme see ...

guess #1: Bavaria?
poland lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Fool posted:

rural italy?

I was closer without going too far north, therefore I win all the prizes.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

rotor posted:

wrt getting a masters to get a better job: idk what its like where you are but this always feels like a bad idea to me. At some point 2 years experience in a different place is more valuable than another degree. A masters isn't vocational school. I mean, unless it actually is where you are, in which case a masters is vocational school and you should ignore me.

thats sorta how i feel about it personally tbh. but i dont actually have a clear picture on how helpful it would be to me. at least looking at my peers it's just what you are 'supposed' to do. not sure what to think about that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fatal Error posted:

thats sorta how i feel about it personally tbh. but i dont actually have a clear picture on how helpful it would be to me. at least looking at my peers it's just what you are 'supposed' to do. not sure what to think about that

yeah i think in a lot of circumstances "go back to school" is just the default response after people run out of other ideas

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah, an ms can give you a leg up, but so can two more years of experience - and those two years youll be earning money and climbing the seniority ladder (towards more money) and not writing tuition checks

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
no tuition checks for me, we haven't gotten around to ruining higher education yet

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Two years of real world experience working with people in an organization is way more valuable than a masters. At least in the circles I live in. No idea what’s going on in Italy.

Apr 7, 2003

tk posted:

Two years of real world experience working with people in an organization is way more valuable than a masters. At least in the circles I live in. No idea what’s going on in Italy.

Lots of gabbagool

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsBipoG22Nw

Apr 7, 2003

Lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i was working in semiconductor manufacturing with a bs in physics and i got a masters in engineering (electrical, focusing on circuit design) to move into chip design. it was $40k tuition for the whole MS but it paid for itself quickly and opened up more jobs.

probably not the best plan if you already work in the area you want to, but it can definitely help if you want to move to an adjacent but still pretty specialized job.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i did a EE/Telecommunications degree which was kind of populated by people who don’t know what they want to do and those who didn’t get into Computer Science. so i’m in a kind of jack of all trades situation

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i studied LIFE at THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't have booksmarts I have beepsmarts

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:whitewater:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
give them back!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
had another off/unfocused day.

didn't sleep well but started off by reading about some issue that happened at 3 am or so that seems like it's my problem. Wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Then i think i sat in some really, really poorly presented meeting about golang ide tips for a while. ended up bailing after 15m. think I sent out a scrum update - first in a week. then I went out grocery shopping and dropped off my old work laptop at fedex to be returned. Got home. responded to some slack messages and made lunch.

then there was some other quarterly platform status update for 30 mins. responded to a few more trivial slack messages and checked up on the guy I'm meant to be buddy systeming. Then I took a break to maybe do a little bit of excercise, stretching and cleaning. Then took another break right after to play old gba fire emblem on my phone for little bit. then there was some happy hour meeting with my team.

part of the happyhour chat was christopher nolan movies and dunkirk was mentioned as being good. I've heard the soundtrack before and - yeah han zimmer is good. I ended up watching dunkirk and then reading wikipedia articles about the real event for the last 3-4 hours.

The movie was garbage but the real event was a big deal.

:(

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 28, 2020

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've crashed after having actual, really productive several days in a row

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Methanar posted:

I've crashed after having actual, really productive several days in a row

isn't that just called "being a programmer?"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

in our team meeting a week or two ago, my boss admitted to falling asleep on his dog's bed, then waking up in a panic thinking he'd slept through til morning

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Now that my tinder+ 6 months have expired I deleted my account and recreated it as an experiment

The tinder algorithm is definitely just bullshit because in 24 hours I got like 3 matches(two were bots) after getting near nothing for the last 5 months. What this means to me is that my profile isn't actually bad, but rather its just never presented to anybody. When an account is newly created they must just give you super priority in the queue to give you a good first impression.

All the girls were great too, way better than ususal, so its definitely also capable of sorting by some attractiveness measure. Probably measured by viewing time, how often they respond to messages, and swipe left/right ratios.

love being held hostage and psychologically manipulated by an algorithm. guess I'll just delete and recreate a new account every week instead of buying tinder+. good business model guys.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was going to make a kids these days just need to go get plastered at a goddamn pub like the old days but then I remembered we live in hell world

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was going to make a kids these days just need to go get plastered at a goddamn pub like the old days but then I remembered we live in hell world

a new pub was going to be opening up barely ten minutes' walking distance from my house this summer but the loving pandemic ruined that little spark of possible inebriated joy for me

poo poo sucks eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

tinder sucks. use hinge or bumble.