Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the consensus on the Snapmaker 3 in 1 printer? I have a hankering for one even though I can't immediately identify any uses. Is this one of those products that mediocre at all three things or does it at least shine at 3d printing or laser stuff (I don't have high hopes for the CNC stuff but it would be a nice option).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what's the consensus on the Snapmaker 3 in 1 printer? I have a hankering for one even though I can't immediately identify any uses. Is this one of those products that mediocre at all three things or does it at least shine at 3d printing or laser stuff (I don't have high hopes for the CNC stuff but it would be a nice option).

Be absolute poo poo at all three things, is my guess.

I honestly don't know of any reputable reviewers (that I've watched any other reviews on anything else) that have posted any videos/reviews of one in action.

I mean, where is the eye protection for the laser? What keeps the milling function from gumming up the motion system (even assuming it can handle the hilariously light machining their promo images show)? Don't expect anything with the torque for CNC milling to be able to move fast enough for 3d printing without being hilariously loud, either.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, the Snapmaker is a mess. I wrote my own thoughts, found a buried All3DP review, so I'll put my thoughts after the link and block quote:

https://all3dp.com/1/snapmaker-2-3d-printer-review-specs/

quote:

Cons

Frustrating workflow
Native CNC carving/cutting is undeveloped
Good gosh is it loud – the linear modules sound horrendous

It's a benchtop bedslinger, so rigidity is ill suited for milling. That collet is maybe ER11 which isn't awful, but it's attached to a super wimpy spindle.

Shapeokos are OK for milling, but those are $1300 on their own and have a substantially beefier spindle.

The laser is even more laughable, 1.6W is going to take a long time to do any lasting engraving (2.5W is a regular strength laser diode for a lot of hobbyist stuff), I don't think it would even be able to competently cut a thin plastic sheet, either. No air assist or ventilation either. At least you can buy an enclosure that filters the laser for an additional $450 and it has an exhaust fan and duct.

It also runs Android, which is an operating system ill-suited for manufacturing (timeshare OS vs a real time OS). But that's a lot more grognardy than I really need to be about it.

I guess if your time is priceless worthless and you can let it do a job for a long time to get subpar results, sure.

The subreddit is empty, too, and that's a pretty solid indicator that it's more hype than substance.

I dunno, it feels like an OK beginner's machine for these three technologies, but I have to imagine that you'd grow out of it fast hence the lack of reviews on any major sites and lack of subreddit activity.

e: Can you even load your own code into this thing? You have to use their in-house slicer and CAM software? Absolutely gently caress that.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 25, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sadly that's about what I feared. Thanks for the info!

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

jubjub64 posted:

Upgrade/tinkering question: I bought some MGN12H linear rails to upgrade my coreXY's X & Y axis from those roller thingies that are so popular nowadays. I was wondering if the axis that the printhead rested on could just be supported by the linear rail itself or do y'all think that the linear rail needs support from the existing 2020 extrusion? The linear rail seems really thick and sturdy but I wanted to get some additional opinions. Also, if someone has done this before do you have a recommendation for an upgrade path from thingiverse? Like which design should I try to assimilate? I see the Voron design is really popular, any other ideas? Thanks!

Here's a couple of people who used them like that while also putting a new spin on the X and Y axes

https://hackaday.com/2020/08/19/re-imagining-the-crossed-gantry-3d-printer/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Despite the collective NO from the thread I decided to buy that Labists mini 3D printer - goon collective wisdom and my own uncertainty about what I'd actually use it for are powerless against a £10 off voucher meaning it cost me £80. Yes, I'm aware I'm the problem.

Anyway I'm pretty impressed, admittedly only with my mate's Wish.com no-brand thing to compare it against - setup was almost completely plug-and-play (two screws to put in, two connectors to connect, then level the bed).

Unfortunately they only give a tiny amount of filament with it so I've not been able to give it a real test, but the two things I have printed out came out okay:

(The slight droopiness on the capital is my fault - I deleted all the supports because I literally didn't have enough filament to do them all)

They're no rougher-surfaced than anything I've seen printed out on a home printer - once I get a bit more filament I'm going to print out a copy of the helmet camera mount that I had professionally done and do a direct comparison. The little magnetic build platform works really well too - piece of piss to detach stuff from it.

It comes with a slicer programme that seems to Just Work (automatically hollowing out the model then adding supports, although of course you can change this), and while obviously the tiny platform (100x100x100mm) and general toyness of it means it's never going to compete with "proper" printers I'd say for a lot of use cases it's actually perfectly adequate.

Now to another newb question - is there anything somewhere between MS 3D Builder and FreeCAD in terms to ease of use versus power? The former is really simple to use but obviously extremely limited, but the latter makes GIMP look well-thought-out and user-friendly. Do I just have to suck it up and sift through a billion wiki pages that all treat me like I've got a PhD and 10 years experience with CAD to work out how to build something, or is there something out there that's at least a little less actively hostile?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now to another newb question - is there anything somewhere between MS 3D Builder and FreeCAD in terms to ease of use versus power? The former is really simple to use but obviously extremely limited, but the latter makes GIMP look well-thought-out and user-friendly. Do I just have to suck it up and sift through a billion wiki pages that all treat me like I've got a PhD and 10 years experience with CAD to work out how to build something, or is there something out there that's at least a little less actively hostile?

Fusion 360. It’s not without a learning curve but as someone with no prior CAD experience, I have found it quite friendly overall. There are no shortage of tutorial videos on YouTube and it’s powerful and free for individuals for non-commercial purposes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Fusion 360. It’s not without a learning curve but as someone with no prior CAD experience, I have found it quite friendly overall. There are no shortage of tutorial videos on YouTube and it’s powerful and free for individuals for non-commercial purposes.

Thanks, I'll check it out for my first major project, a cat-proof enclosure for the printer. I'm aware the words "cat-proof" are the definition of hubris, but I have to try...

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I've been using onshape over fusion 360 lately. I can just open my Chromebook and start modelling wherever. My desktop is usually unplugged due to my wfh setup so I just plug it in on the weekends for slicing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out for my first major project, a cat-proof enclosure for the printer. I'm aware the words "cat-proof" are the definition of hubris, but I have to try...

My printer is in a cat proof enclosure (a separate building from where my cat lives). Works great!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How much would it cost to set up a 3d printer if i was going to use it for making custom pocket hole jigs, angle guides, tool boxes for woodworking and diy projects? Getting tired of shipping delays and general craziness. Would be using it at least once an week since me and my friends would be using it alot for projects. Trying to figure out the cost, so that me and my friends can pool our money and get something.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ughhhh posted:

How much would it cost to set up a 3d printer if i was going to use it for making custom pocket hole jigs, angle guides, tool boxes for woodworking and diy projects? Getting tired of shipping delays and general craziness. Would be using it at least once an week since me and my friends would be using it alot for projects. Trying to figure out the cost, so that me and my friends can pool our money and get something.

Depending on the size of the jig you intend to make (and where you are located), relatively little. Shipping delays are still a thing if you intend to order cheap Creality machines from China or awesome Prusa machines from the Czech Republic, but there may be a re-seller locally in the US if you are located there and okay with a markup.

You can get a knockoff machine from Monoprice for between $200-500 and get your feet wet for a couple weeks and return it if you don't like it (or keep it and be able to swap it for a replacement for up to a year when it inevitably breaks down).

EDIT:

This hilarious machine is on sale for $600 if you want something that is hypnotic to watch.

Thomas Sanladerer reviewed it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CxeVYJ-Zqw&t=1s

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 27, 2020

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I tried all the popular freely available CAD software and found freecad to be the most "normal" feeling to me, a non-CAD user and I'm seriously enjoying making things with it. I think this is because I'm old and it doesn't have ribbons, circular right click menus, cloud stuff, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what do most folks here use 3d printers for? The only thing keeping me from buying one is I don't have a clue what I'd do with it. I just think they're cool as poo poo.

Followup question: What's the learning curve? The videos Ive watched on reviews make it seem pretty steep.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

So what do most folks here use 3d printers for? The only thing keeping me from buying one is I don't have a clue what I'd do with it. I just think they're cool as poo poo.

Followup question: What's the learning curve? The videos Ive watched on reviews make it seem pretty steep.

I mostly use mine for printing terrain, box organizers, tokens, etc for table top games. I have an ender 3 pro and it works great for that. I have used it to print a few replacement parts for small kitchen appliances as well (knobs, etc), and I've made some jigs/fixtures both from files off thingiverse and also from some basic fusion 360 designs of my own. I have done a bit of work with it making molds to use in my jewlery making hobby, but I really need to get a resin printer in order to get the kind of resolution I need for that. I would say my usage is like 80% printing stuff for tabletop games though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I print hooks, key fobs, containers, small shelves, things like JB/light switch covers, board game organizers, garden widgets... I 3d printed a bunch of brackets for holding up rain gutters.

This week a friend and I started collaborating on designing a sport mask that fits to the face much more securely using straps and velcro, and i printed a bunch of prototype parts for it.

3d printers can be extremely useful once you get your head into noticing the problems that can be solved with a 3d printer. That was the biggest hurdle for me.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I use mine for enclosures and it’s crazy how much time it saves not having to hand-machine them for every 1-off design I do.

I’ve also done replacement gears, Spacers, and TONS of brackets. A few custom hand tools for things as well, like a hex wrench that is hollow so that I can tighten nuts on hard to access sensors without twisting the wires.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I originally bought my first printer (Maker Select Plus) for D&D terrain and minis, and also because I just wanted to tinker with something.

Along the way, I've used my printer for everything from fixing my daughter's broken toys or lost parts to creating custom cup holders for my patio furniture to creating classroom supplies for local teachers, as well as a ton of terrain and minis (though I also purchased a resin printer which has taken over primary mini duties). The hobby is as deep as you want to make it.

Side note: I used an original Prusa for most of the things listed above.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm planning on printing 3-D puzzles for my aunt. Does anyone have any recommendations for those types of things? Going to be printing on a Prusa Mini if that makes a difference.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Maigius posted:

I'm planning on printing 3-D puzzles for my aunt. Does anyone have any recommendations for those types of things? Going to be printing on a Prusa Mini if that makes a difference.

Just keep in mind that you want about a 0.5mm gap in your design if you want puzzle pieces to fit together.

So like, wherever you do your puzzle cutting, make the cut 0.5mm "thick" (where normally this would be taken care of by the razor wire/whatever cutter normal puzzle making machinery uses).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve printed face shield visors, earsavers, and TPU respirator parts at work, and everything from router brackets to dice towers to replica movie props at home. Right now I’m printing a little dvd/blu stand for my dad’s birthday that’s supposed to mimic the ‘70s “Our Feature Presentation” title card. You can find drat near anything on Thingiverse but the real fun for 3D printers comes when you start designing your own stuff. Even if it’s just messing around in Tinkercad to start with.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The real fun for 3D printers comes when you start designing your own stuff. Even if it’s just messing around in Tinkercad to start with.

The first time you design a part from scratch that clicks right into place is the most satisfying feeling in the world

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm using 3D printers for making woodworking jigs and brackets.

I find that 3D printing and woodworking are really great matches. I'm also planning on using them to make soft jaws for an inbound bench vise.

I've got some Formlabs resin at the makerspace that I use for some high fidelity/weird geometry stuff. I want to get some high temp stuff to do some casting with at some point.

I'm also gonna be using 3D printed stuff to hold together milled out HDPE that'll be molds for some 2 part urethanes.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Enclosures and fixtures for one-offs that would be a pain in the rear end to make any other way is where 3D printing really sings.

I also enjoy 3D printing little household things as well. Replaced the broken foot on a computer desk with a 3D printed version, for example. It's pretty gratifying to print a replacement handle or whatever for stuff.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

I also enjoy 3D printing little household things as well. Replaced the broken foot on a computer desk with a 3D printed version, for example. It's pretty gratifying to print a replacement handle or whatever for stuff.

This is where a lot of my use comes in (alongside organizational stuff for board games and small child.) The angle my phone holder in my car sits at was a little off, so I printed a shim to angle it to where I wanted. CPAP hose flopping all over, so designed and printed a bracket and rotating hose clip sized to fit my bed frame. Housing of a smart sensor got smashed, so design a new housing to fit. Etc etc.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I made a series of custom adapters to mount my dslr to my microscope so I can also freely rotate it as desired. Given the weird threads involved it would have been quite expensive to do it otherwise.
More recently I made these little pedestals that I could glue beads to to hold their position during channel cutting to get a good even groove in them (customer had a very particular design in mind).

I could have done something in wood as well, but being able to just design and print exactly what I wanted in less than an hour was pretty nice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DIY secret santa maybe?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

Upgrade/tinkering question: I bought some MGN12H linear rails to upgrade my coreXY's X & Y axis from those roller thingies that are so popular nowadays. I was wondering if the axis that the printhead rested on could just be supported by the linear rail itself or do y'all think that the linear rail needs support from the existing 2020 extrusion? The linear rail seems really thick and sturdy but I wanted to get some additional opinions. Also, if someone has done this before do you have a recommendation for an upgrade path from thingiverse? Like which design should I try to assimilate? I see the Voron design is really popular, any other ideas? Thanks!

They're designed to be supported. While the previously linked design shows they don't have to be to have successful prints, people in the comments to talk about how much ghosting the resulting part has. It's an interplay between how much mass the toolhead has, how fast it's accelerating, and how flexible the whole system is.

Unsupported length will also factor into what you can get away with. Conventional wisdom is that printers larger than a prusa need more than the typical 8mm rod. These rails are going to be pretty similar. I just played around with a simulation, and they have flex about half as much in the 8mm dimension, and 1/4 as much in the 12mm dimension. I assumed same material, and estimated the sizes of the grooves.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

I’ve been fascinated by 3D printing for years but never bought one because like you, I had no real use for one. I didn’t want to buy one just to print stuff from thingiverse, or for that occasional time that a battery door on a remote breaks or something.

Late last year, after watching a bunch of videos about making parts in carbon fibre and the like I realised that some project ideas I had for my car would be perfect use cases for 3D printing and related techniques such as photogrammetry in the design and prototyping phase, and I pulled the trigger on a printer.

I think there’s something to be said for not buying something if you really can’t see a practical use for it which will be a motivation to delve in and learn.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Jesus gently caress.

https://all3dp.com/1/peopoly-phenom-xxl-review-3d-printer-specs/

The build volume on the Peopoly Phenom XXL is 527 x 296 x 550 mm. It holds 6+ kg of resin. It weighs 130kg.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mainly for printing miniatures and terrain for tabletop gaming, though I also have started to get interested in printing out little statuettes/busts (some for painting, some for displaying as is) and models like tanks, spaceships, etc., to also paint and display. And I've also found some practical parts here and there to print that came in handy. But, I think a lot of people here forgot the #1 reason we have 3d printers: to print parts and mods for the printer itself. :v:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Not sure what the issue is exactly, but FYI https://twitter.com/Creality3dprint/status/1299196923019108355

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I use mine to for molds, parts and jigs to make myself custom fit cycling shoes

http://imgur.com/a/A5fVFCc

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

simmyb posted:

The filament I just bought had a leaflet in it for a custom 3D printer for shoe insoles complete with foot scanner, which seems like an amazing use for the technology but also a bit niche to be just advertising randomly to people buying the second-cheapest filament on Amazon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

simmyb posted:

I have been wanting to design and make shoes with CAD and CNC tech for a few years - do you have bandwidth to share a project/workflow either here or by PM?

Your shoes are rad as hell!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

simmyb posted:

drat, that is some fine work!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

So what do most folks here use 3d printers for?

I bought mine for terrain and minis at first, now I design and sell a line of Warhammer accessories, bases, etc here - https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/SigmariteBoutique

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Power supplies going up in smoke.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I started off just printing fun little statues and dumb desk toys, but it’s since turned into uhh
- wall mounts for my controllers
- wall mounts for my vr headset
- vr accessories
- dice towers / board game bits
- woodworking jigs
- electronics cases out the rear end
- soldering tools
- a magnetic phone mount for my car
- clamp on cup holders for canoeing
- some misc camping gear
- stands for keyboards
- wall hangers for my ukuleles

And that’s just what I can name off the top of my head. I’ve even started selling stuff at a super small scale.

The learning curve definitely FEELS crazy, when you’re reading about retraction speeds and ghosting and bridges and supports and temperatures and infill etc etc but like, actual basic printing is super straightforward, and you pick up on the finer details as you go. Of course, I’m in the Prusa gang, so that may color my perception a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the answers. Maybe I need to get into tabletop gaming first, and then get a printer.

Do most people getting into this get one printer and roll with it, or start with something basic and then replace or upgrade? And what's the deal with Prusa? I've seen a few of you mention it.