Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

Of course, but he could've demanded concessions from Biden. Executive order to legalize weed, etc. and then when they refused, the true state of the system would've been more apparent. Instead, he's endorsing Biden, demanding nothing.

Doing that would mean burning down his cozy spot as whatever the gently caress he is now. Not doing it means it was never a real revolution. Lots of people die in revolutions.

I don't think any sane person thinks true revolution happens via national elections in a two party system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I’ve seen him filibuster and I’m fairly certain he has more stamina than your goony rear end

I don't think you understand just how much forums poster doverhog has done to pull the US political system to the left. Especially when compared to some johnny come lately like Bernie Sanders, who just got into politics for this election and has never before done anything that might have inconvenienced him or made his life harder in service of left wing ideals.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

doverhog posted:

Bernie Sanders is too old and too weak. He was always the wrong champion. This is evidenced, for example, by him not threatening to run as 3rd party after he got hosed and made to kneel. Just an old man who got propped up by a revolution he never truly believed in or understood, and did not follow through on when it mattered.

If you want to get poo poo done people have to be afraid of you. Mutually assured destruction. It saved us from nuclear war, it is the foundation of most human interactions.

He would have been laughed out of Washington if he had tried to do that. Third parties can't win, and everyone knows it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I knew that would get a reaction. Do guys think they did Bernie dirty so many times over and over again because they knew he would never hit back? And was that a main weakness of his?

Vandar posted:

He would have been laughed out of Washington if he had tried to do that. Third parties can't win, and everyone knows it.

The threat would be to rob votes from Biden and extort concessions under that threat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think he meant that Bernie had a chance of winning, just that he could've threatened to gently caress them over by splitting the vote and gotten them to make some concessions.

Like I said, that would be pointless because the Democrats don't care about losing. They're fine with winning, but they're also fine with becoming a vestigial opposition party under fascism.

Dover, they would literally just let him tank his career and say they would make concessions and then not actually follow through with them. They are shameless.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Then after that, he could actually run for third party to gently caress with them. You are either taken lightly or not, and the DNC took Bernie lightly, and they were right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Even if Bernie somehow won absolutely nothing he was campaigning with would have actually gotten done.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Even if Bernie somehow won absolutely nothing he was campaigning with would have actually gotten done.

Most people understand this but the point is to get it on the table. It's the only way to even get incremental change done. But most dems seem to think coming to the negotiation with an already compromised position is the way to roll.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most people understand this but the point is to get it on the table. It's the only way to even get incremental change done. But most dems seem to think coming to the negotiation with an already compromised position is the way to roll.

Trump yells, shits on the table, dares you to say anything. Wins election.

Bernie wants medicare for all, supported by majority of voters. Is kinda timid, afraid to call his opponents corporate whores. Loses.

The morale is be more aggressive and violent.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Thank goodness we have the tireless poster doverhog while Bernie sits on his couch meekly requesting Medicare.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Bernie had actual power. Had, he gave it up.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
And he got that power by...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

He build the power up over a long time, but at the end, it didn't even matter.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

donald trump will be reelected

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

And he got that power by...

Grayskull?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

donald trump will be reelected

That's not an opinion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dik Hz posted:

Words are an agreed upon social construct. If you go and change the definitions on the fly, please do inform the people you're arguing with that you're not using the conventional definitions of the words.
I was using a conventional definition, as evidenced by the fact that literally the first dictionary I picked up had it as the first definition listed. Is it defined as such in every dictionary? Apparently not. But unless you're going to argue that your preferred dictionary is the one true arbiter of language, you're going to have to accept that different people have slightly different ideas about the precise definitions of common words.

Dik Hz posted:

Your stance essentially is "I don't care if bad things happen to people who I perceive as having their positions due to luck or privilege." Right?
No.

Let's say a person ends up with an extra thousand dollars in their bank account by mistake. Then, when the mistake is discovered, it's taken away from them. If they try to argue that it shouldn't be because they "don't deserve to have $1000 taken from them" then the likely response will be "that may be true, but it's not relevant because you didn't deserve to have that money given to you either".

Now apply that to being a movie star. The movie star didn't get the job because they deserved it. If they lose that job, whether they deserve to or not is not relevant. It's an invalid argument.

If prestigious positions were only given to the most deserving then it would be fair to ask whether they deserved to lose them. But they aren't so it isn't.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tiggum posted:

I was using a conventional definition, as evidenced by the fact that literally the first dictionary I picked up had it as the first definition listed. Is it defined as such in every dictionary? Apparently not. But unless you're going to argue that your preferred dictionary is the one true arbiter of language, you're going to have to accept that different people have slightly different ideas about the precise definitions of common words.
con·de·scend·ing
/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/
adjective
adjective: condescending

having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

Tiggum posted:

No.

Let's say a person ends up with an extra thousand dollars in their bank account by mistake. Then, when the mistake is discovered, it's taken away from them. If they try to argue that it shouldn't be because they "don't deserve to have $1000 taken from them" then the likely response will be "that may be true, but it's not relevant because you didn't deserve to have that money given to you either".

Now apply that to being a movie star. The movie star didn't get the job because they deserved it. If they lose that job, whether they deserve to or not is not relevant. It's an invalid argument.

If prestigious positions were only given to the most deserving then it would be fair to ask whether they deserved to lose them. But they aren't so it isn't.
Are you making the argument that having a bank error reverted and losing your job and future livelihood due to false allegations are the same thing? Because it really seems like you are here. If that's the analogy you're going to use, your equivalent position would be, "Nobody deserves to have $1000 in their bank account."

Also, are you also making the argument that movie stars possess no finely honed skills that they worked hard at? That movie stars are randomly chosen based on factors outside their control?

Dik Hz has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Aug 25, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dik Hz posted:

Also, are you also making the argument that movie stars possess no finely honed skills that they worked hard at?
I've answered this specific question at least twice now, so I'm done. If you want the answer, check my post history.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

It was a really weird day when I woke up to a knock on the door and the 49ers were asking why I wasn’t at practice, I will say, but at least they noticed the error and sent me home.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tiggum posted:

I've answered this specific question at least twice now, so I'm done. If you want the answer, check my post history.
You have over 700 posts in this thread. Can you at least link the one you're referring to? I'd rather not read your posts, tbh.

Dik Hz has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Aug 25, 2020

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have an innate dislike for twitch streamers who set their streams on sub-only. Like, I totally get why and it's a great way to monetize your poo poo (so I can't deny the reasoning for it), but that inner part of my brain that kvetches about wanting Free Stuff is louder than I'd like.

(It's worse when both the streamer and the subs are being entirely munted about what to do, and I - I of all people - seemingly know what to do.)

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Aug 26, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

How do you end up trying to watch a streamer that is sub only? You used to go there but they changed?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
every successful band should get a movie. And I don't mean a documentary or a concert film, I mean a full narrative movie, like Spice World or Yellow Submarine. I want to see a sci fi comedy about BTS fighting aliens. I want a stoner roadtrip movie about 100 gecs being wrongfully accused of a crime and having to clear their name

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

doverhog posted:

How do you end up trying to watch a streamer that is sub only? You used to go there but they changed?

it's the chat that is sub only

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wait so you want to talk in twitch chat?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

wait so you want to talk in twitch chat?

I'm lucky that the twitch streams I listen to are pretty decent in terms of people not being assholes; if anything (like I said in the post, reading being a skill and all) it's when I know what to, the streamer doesn't, and everyone else is just as confused and/or being unclear.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Twitch chat is fine if you stick to channels not aimed at teenagers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nutella is clearly an utterly disgusting substance. amsterdam is now full of "nutella shops" where they sell horrible waffles and churros smothered in that poo poo to tourists but i can't understand that these are popular. eating nutella is as barbaric as littering

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

nutella is clearly an utterly disgusting substance. amsterdam is now full of "nutella shops" where they sell horrible waffles and churros smothered in that poo poo to tourists but i can't understand that these are popular. eating nutella is as barbaric as littering

In barbarian countries they put Nutella on bread and eat it for... breakfast :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nutella is pretty good but the Nutella cafes are weird and it was also weird that it became some kind of white girl cultural signifier in the early 2010s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Nutella is sweet to the point it’s nauseating to me. I can see why some people like it but as someone that doesn’t like desserts or most candy it’s :barf:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Nutella doesn't even taste like hazelnuts.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
A peanut butter and Nutella sandwich is where it's at.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

A peanut butter and Nutella sandwich is where it's at.

This is far from unpopular.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PB and mayo sandwich is :discourse:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

those are all bad

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
You can have my Nutella with Kongee when you pry it from my cold dead hands

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
People here think Nutella is healthier than chocolate/peanutbutter/whatever. It has 11g of sugar in a teaspoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

peanut butter made of 100% peanuts is good but anything with added sugar is bad