Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LordMune posted:

It hurts how hyped I am for you all to play the game.

No game is perfect, but this is without a doubt the best PDS release I've worked on (and no the bar isn't low!! Some of Stellaris is good!!!).

I really enjoy Stellaris and think it's quite good, I just never enjoy combat/war in 4X games. The exploration is the best in any 4X game out there.

I'm very excited to play this. I'm now debating between the two start dates. Which one do I choose? :ohdear: Come on and release already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 30, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah drat paradox for sending review copies out to regular passionate nerds, and not just professional speakers and marketers.

Yeah it's pretty cool and not at all shady how publishers are now paying a bunch of biased fanboys to show off their games while actual games coverage outlets who won't shill for them are still locked up behind NDAs.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Guest posted:

Yeah it's pretty cool and not at all shady how publishers are now paying a bunch of biased fanboys to show off their games while actual games coverage outlets who won't shill for them are still locked up behind NDAs.

They sent out review copies and only told some of us we're allowed to review it including people in my own network which makes me feel like a big piece of poo poo. I feel like the reason is because Imperator was blown up before launch. It's not that anyone in particular is a bigger fan boy than the next, and I talk to spiff enough to know he's unbiased in his game opinions. They're just limiting it to people who would lose something by loving up a NDA.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Guest posted:

"Games coverage outlets" received review copies back in May if I'm remembering correctly. PC Gamer, IGN, Rock Paper Shotgun, and GameSpot at least all put out videos (plus some articles) back then. Not sure if that's specifically what you're referring to, but there's some coverage out there that isn't "YouTube influencers".

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Is this definitely going on the xbox game Pass on release day?

I mean, I'm going to buy it eventually anyway so I can buy expansions, but if it is I might wait a few months and play it for "free" in the meantime.

I already pay for game pass so it's effectively free.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Masonity posted:

Is this definitely going on the xbox game Pass on release day?

I mean, I'm going to buy it eventually anyway so I can buy expansions, but if it is I might wait a few months and play it for "free" in the meantime.

I already pay for game pass so it's effectively free.

Yeah it already shows up in the game list you just can't download it

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
This suggests it will absolutely be available on PC Game Pass on the 1st.

edit: also actually checking Game Pass I guess!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

orangelex44 posted:

People complain(ed) about Stellaris, but not until after they dumped 60 hours into it. It's objectively not a bad game, and never was. It's just been hurt because people expected it to having the staying power of CK, EU, or even HOI... but without the twenty years of iteration on the formula the other games had. Making a game be fun for hundreds of hours is super hard, and even when you're starting from a template (PDX grand strategy) that doesn't mean there won't be edges that need smoothing.

stellaris is a pretty bad 4X but there's very few good 4Xs so what can you do

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wonder if the game pass version will have the same thing as flight simulator where you can pretend to be from a pacific island and get it a day early lol

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gamerofthegame posted:

stellaris is a pretty bad 4X but there's very few good 4Xs so what can you do

You might say there are no good 4X cause the whole industry seems stuck trying to modernize Master of Orion 2. Which is remembered fondly partly cause we didn't care about UI and balance and having a race of greedy nosy gnomes one of which is called Zog.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Guest posted:

Having watched most of the early previews from the CK3 youtubers, I can confirm that this must certainly be true. Almost all of them were British cringelords who went full LARP mode wearing crowns and fur mantles and poo poo, and half of them affect an accent that is so insufferably posh that I can only assume they are doing it on purpose to sound as inbred as their ingame character.

It says a lot that the best CK3 youtuber is apparently a guy called "One Proud Bavarian", which is... a distracting name to say the least. Like I spent his whole preview video wondering if he was about to say some horrendous nationalist poo poo, and how much I should be reading into him invading Poland, and it still ended up being a way better viewing experience than any of the other clowns.

Bavaria is like Texas in the sense that it has a very strong national identity separate from Germany/The United States.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Guest posted:

Wut?
The reason for review embargoes are two-fold, so that we can make a splash when most of them are release at the same time, and more importantly, so that reviewers have time to play the game and aren't stressed into writing a review before they have be able to spend enough time with the game.

The idea that paying influencers to make lifestyle video and then pretend that those are reviews is a biiiiit of a stretch.

Edit: Also did you miss the preview we gave to journalists a few months ago? It's not like we're hiding the game :D

cKnoor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 27, 2020

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Guest posted:

It says a lot that the best CK3 youtuber is apparently a guy called "One Proud Bavarian", which is... a distracting name to say the least. Like I spent his whole preview video wondering if he was about to say some horrendous nationalist poo poo, and how much I should be reading into him invading Poland, and it still ended up being a way better viewing experience than any of the other clowns.

you have brain worms

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ilitarist posted:

You might say there are no good 4X cause the whole industry seems stuck trying to modernize Master of Orion 2. Which is remembered fondly partly cause we didn't care about UI and balance and having a race of greedy nosy gnomes one of which is called Zog.

Right

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can understand seeing a really nationalist name in the year 2020 and being like "that could go poorly." But I watched him, and it didn't go poorly, so... chill maybe? I learned a thing about Bavaria from it even.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

fuf posted:

I wonder if the game pass version will have the same thing as flight simulator where you can pretend to be from a pacific island and get it a day early lol

I assume its going to go out at the same time world wide.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Midnight Voyager posted:

I can understand seeing a really nationalist name in the year 2020 and being like "that could go poorly." But I watched him, and it didn't go poorly, so... chill maybe? I learned a thing about Bavaria from it even.

Yeah, that guy actually seems chill and alright.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
still a fuckin terrible name though lmao

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Who knows when he chose that nickname, and how old he was. At some point you're stuck with your terrible name, especially if your internet personality is your job

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bavaria's quite nice to be fair.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I really want to get hyped for this since I missed out on CK2. It looks like it has lots of things I love about games but I think my (broken) brain is having trouble getting into it. It’s a conceptual thing. I think I don’t know what the “goal” is when I play CK2 (and presumably CK3). I know it’s a sandbox and you can make your own goals, but let’s say my goal is to get a ton of land and power - it seems arbitrary to me to pick a small and poor family when I could just play as an emperor.

I know I’m looking at it wrong, it just hasn’t clicked yet. Where does the goal/fun of the game come from for you?

Edit: is it just a matter of this game demands more “role playing” than other games to engage with it as a player?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's literally exactly what the poster said they did

Whorelord posted:

Bavaria's quite nice to be fair.

One of my best friends lives in Saxony-Anhalt and she loathes Bavaria. I trust her more than any goon.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

I really want to get hyped for this since I missed out on CK2. It looks like it has lots of things I love about games but I think my (broken) brain is having trouble getting into it. It’s a conceptual thing. I think I don’t know what the “goal” is when I play CK2 (and presumably CK3). I know it’s a sandbox and you can make your own goals, but let’s say my goal is to get a ton of land and power - it seems arbitrary to me to pick a small and poor family when I could just play as an emperor.

I know I’m looking at it wrong, it just hasn’t clicked yet. Where does the goal/fun of the game come from for you?

Edit: is it just a matter of this game demands more “role playing” than other games to engage with it as a player?

Let's say you want a ton of land and power and you decide to play as an emperor:

Emperors don't control the whole world. Do you want more land and power?

Emperors have varying control over their subordinates. How are you going to put down rebellions? How are you going to prevent rebellions before they start?

Emperors don't live forever (usually). Is your firstborn going to be as capable a leader? If so, will you be able to get more land and more power with them? If not, what are you going to do about it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tenacious J posted:

Yeah basically just roleplay what would be a fun thing to do and pick a start where that engages you. Like I usually don't look at land/power as a goal but more, Oh I want to reunite all the Zoroastrian lands as a Persian, or I want to be the new Cleopatra ruling Egypt, or I want to bring back Hellenism, or I want to crush the Christians. Granted this relies on having knowledge of the time span, characters involved, and location. If I was forced to play in India I feel really out of it because I can't form that narrative in my head because I don't know anything about it.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Both those replies really help, thanks. Basically, the deeper layers of whatever goal I initially have make it way more interesting, and there are fun questions I wasn’t thinking about. Also, reading a little about a regions history would probably make playing them very interesting. It adds some context and weight to the events.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Next part of the dev stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJ5DwnVW2w

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think my favourite example of someone playing CK2 was that Denmark Let's Play from ages back. It started off with a nice simple premise - they were going to only involve themself with Denmark, and Denmark's politics. And for the first few characters they did, but Scandinavia being what it was they were also intimately involved with Norway and Sweden. Which broadened the scope a bit, but it was still a very focused game with simple goals.

You don't need to start wanting to paint the map, or found empires, or crush religions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CK is best played by hitting "random character" and doing whatever your dumb noble's dumbass traits suggest they would try, then building from there, imo.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Ck2 kinda clicked for me as a mainly roleplaying game when I lost some major war and realized that it wasn't a fail state or anything to be upset by but just an interesting turn in my character's story that gave me some grudges to pursue.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I've also never pre-ordered a game before, but took the plunge for CK3 because it just seems so inevitable that I will want to play this, barring a very implausible flop of a launch. Also I've watched more streamers in this week than I have my entire life. And yeah, gotta agree with a lot of folks about the cringe levels - not about the costumes, I get the marketing pitch there - just the sameiness of all their narration style is really glaring. Quill is fine, OPB was far and away the most watchable. Would have been cool if PDS had found a few more non-Brits to take a stab at it, but I assume the grand historical strategy streamer ecosystem is a something of a mono-culture at the moment, so :shrug:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Something to listen to at work Friday at least.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1299105614178783234

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ripped(?) onto youtube for those that don't have access
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhijxBNgReA

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Did they sneak back in The Persian Army? Because that was far and away my fav CK2 track

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Who is everyone planning to start as? Might do good ol' tutorial Ireland to get a feel for the new mechanics and then do a count in the HRE.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Swedish Horror posted:

Who is everyone planning to start as? Might do good ol' tutorial Ireland to get a feel for the new mechanics and then do a count in the HRE.

Someone in Italy or Greece to try and figure out how to go Hellenic.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Swedish Horror posted:

The Khazars are prob going to be an early run for me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Assuming I can even get the drat game because I’m in Australia and our classification board are being their usual pain in the rear end conservative regressive selves, tutorial Ireland to get to grips with the new UI and then I think something right outside my comfort zone like Burma.

Also hopefully a co-op campaign with a friend too where we both start as counts in the Byzantine Empire or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Swedish Horror posted:

Al-Andalus baby yeeaaaaahhh

(Spanish muslim minor)

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Captain Oblivious posted:

Al-Andalus baby yeeaaaaahhh

(Spanish muslim minor)

This or the Isles. My ancestors were minor nobility on Skye (aka glorified peasants) and were probably norse-gaels (officially offshoots of the MacBeths, but this is pretty much a proven lie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Swedish Horror posted:

Gonna dive in as Burma and conquer England