Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's really annoying that there is no reset trim button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Every time I've used active pause while on autopilot it's gone haywire. At least during altitude change. Now I just go to the menu to pause.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Active pause seems really broken, if you pause while changing your airspeed it will just keep going until you unpause. Ask me about going from cruising speed to a dead-rear end stall because i had to stop my dog from eating a sock.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's some guy on the globe highlighted. I have no idea who that is.

Somebody on your Xbox friend list.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Active pause is a monumentous programming achievement where a very careful selection of management of dynamic and static variables allow you to freeze your plane in place for pictures before very deftly throwing it at the ground because your dynamics were very slightly off and integrated across 5 minutes sums up to a stall.

This is like Big Rigs driving backwards level of unimplemented, why does this bind even exist in its current state.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Charles posted:

Somebody on your Xbox friend list.
I have one random guy on the Xbox friend list because I don't know why, because I don't have an Xbox or needed its services, and he has a different Gamertag than the one in game. Weird.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Because much of MSFS2020 is unfinished :shrug:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's Bill Gates. Even if you have no friends, you can see Bill Gates.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

cmpterjones posted:

Because much of MSFS2020 is unfinished :shrug:

FlightSim Megathread: Much of this is unfinished

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've enjoyed Squirrel's videos quite a bit, but wanted to recommend another set of good beginner tutorial vids. I liked how this guy emphasized your sightline from within the plane to get a sense for getting the correct attitude for level flight. I've found one of the trickiest things for me personally is eyeballing the runway on an approach and knowing where I'm going to actually come down at the current rate of descent. He does a good job of explaining how you can pinpoint the spot in the distance where your plane will come down naturally if you continue at current settings and how to adjust them if that's now where you want to come down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gclgDfMF1aA

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I have basically stuck to bush planes and the cessna's with some fun A5 water landings. I have not even touched the big passenger jets besides a few times of goofing around, but I've basically stayed away from all Autopilot scenarios just because of how bugged they seem to be at this point.

Also, if you're looking for a fun scenic takeoff and fly around go take off at the Alaska Kodiak airport. I did a cessna 152 landing in heavy storms and man sometimes this game is just breathtaking. The storm front slowly moved in as I got closer for landing and right as I hit the tarmac the rain really started coming down. Taxiing the plane as the rain picked up and lightning in the distance over the mountains was just really fun. This game has very special moments.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Holy poo poo this game is awesome. I love the weekly challenges concept. Truly next gen gaming and bringing flight simulators in general into the modern era.

EDIT: Also does anyone know any good tuts for the SDK?

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 27, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yes it’s buggy. Yes it’s my favorite game since battletech

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I'm new to flight sims so I don't know enough to say what is and what isn't buggy but I have to say I'm having a real blast so far. I went on Sagebrush's VOR tutorial last weekend and a few days ago decided to fly from Telluride to Sedona using VOR only to navigate with the 152, with a sidestop passing over the Grand Canyon (Apparently this is not kosher according to the FAA!) and it was a blast. I wish the Citation jets didn't use so much more fuel than they're rated for because they seem like a nice long range option that isn't massive and could take off from smaller airports.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Jolo posted:

I've enjoyed Squirrel's videos quite a bit, but wanted to recommend another set of good beginner tutorial vids. I liked how this guy emphasized your sightline from within the plane to get a sense for getting the correct attitude for level flight. I've found one of the trickiest things for me personally is eyeballing the runway on an approach and knowing where I'm going to actually come down at the current rate of descent. He does a good job of explaining how you can pinpoint the spot in the distance where your plane will come down naturally if you continue at current settings and how to adjust them if that's now where you want to come down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gclgDfMF1aA

Yeah this guys good. Loved his rant about the orbx London pack.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Did anyone happen to record Sagebrush VOR tutorial - otherwise, Sagebrush, I'd chip in a buck for a youtube version of it. Would love to understand the VOR system.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Here's a Reddit thread about a tweak to improve FPS inside planes with a glass clockpit. Basically it lowers the update rate of the 2D panels. Comments look promising. Check it out if you're CPU bound in airliners.

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 27, 2020

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

UnknownTarget posted:

EDIT: Also does anyone know any good tuts for the SDK?

I've been using the ones over on these forums https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/msfs2020.155/ since the MS based documentation is pretty bad.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Spectracide posted:

Here's a Reddit thread about a tweak to improve FPS inside planes with a glass clockpit. Basically it lowers the update rate of the 2D panels. Comments look promising. Check it out if you're CPU bound in airliners.

this doubled my frames in the 747

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Just noticed a 79gb, or so, update waiting in the content manager part of the menu. It's saying to restart the sim for it to update but that's not doing anything yet, so it may not be live yet (or I'm just restarting wrong...). But it does appear there's more than just an update-announcement today.

Also, in spite of all the niggles, I am just loving this thing. Just flying around in the TBM, or the Caravan, during storms in the tropics is amazing. The only thing I really miss is that there's no ding when you turn on the fasten seatbelt button :( drat I miss that ding so much.

And I cannot wait to play this in VR! Even though VR is not perfect for flight simming, and some people seem to actively hate it, but even in X-Plane it gives such a great feeling of being in a cockpit that it gets me all excited to think about what FS2020 would be like! Flying through those storm clouds in VR has to be one hell of an experience, cause even on a flat screen it already intimidates me in that tiny TBM...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement today about a future patch?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Weed Wolf posted:

I've been using the ones over on these forums https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/msfs2020.155/ since the MS based documentation is pretty bad.

Is aircraft creation in yet?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement today about a future patch?

time stamp on the last one is 8 pm est i think so probably another 3 hours

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Steadiman posted:

Just noticed a 79gb, or so, update waiting in the content manager part of the menu. It's saying to restart the sim for it to update but that's not doing anything yet, so it may not be live yet (or I'm just restarting wrong...). But it does appear there's more than just an update-announcement today.

Also, in spite of all the niggles, I am just loving this thing. Just flying around in the TBM, or the Caravan, during storms in the tropics is amazing. The only thing I really miss is that there's no ding when you turn on the fasten seatbelt button :( drat I miss that ding so much.

And I cannot wait to play this in VR! Even though VR is not perfect for flight simming, and some people seem to actively hate it, but even in X-Plane it gives such a great feeling of being in a cockpit that it gets me all excited to think about what FS2020 would be like! Flying through those storm clouds in VR has to be one hell of an experience, cause even on a flat screen it already intimidates me in that tiny TBM...

79gb...!
Somebody is working on patching in the Seatbelt chime a320. They've already made the APU startup more realistic as well as the initialization of some of the navigation systems, different pages in the FMC, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MywqXeeoYos

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
https://www.flightsimulator.com/august-27th-2020-development-update/

Not as much as I was hoping for, but I suppose those are the big bottom-line things.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Nothing about the autopilot?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

skooma512 posted:

Nothing about the autopilot?

Some people still can't install the game, so fixing that first seems like a fair priority.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Yeah, I get the focus and getting this part right, it's disappointing to say the least about the actual experience once you're in, though. They so sparsely update the community on the goings-on, I hate that that has continued from the alpha/beta.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cmpterjones posted:

https://www.flightsimulator.com/august-27th-2020-development-update/

Not as much as I was hoping for, but I suppose those are the big bottom-line things.

Incredibly disappointing patch. These kinds of basic installation and downloader issues are issues that should've been patched and fixed on day one or two. There's no excuse for waiting this long to patch in the basic ability to install and play the game for a sizeable part of the community. And then for that to be all this patch is? Come on.

I'm usually pretty understanding of when bugfixing and patches take time, but this is honestly ridiculous.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rip wind aloft data

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

just blatantly not even putting the screen refresh rate issue or completely missing wind data in the known issues list, we should have known they weren't going to patch it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

wouldn't surprise me if the patch notes were incomplete, but also wouldn't surprise me if that's it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm used to developers having, you know, a sense of urgency in addressing widespread crippling downloader/installation issues. I had assumed they were addressing those behind the scenes, server-side. But lmao, nope, they're really making people wait two whole weeks.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lol incomplete wind data is one thing...but a couple days ago I had 110 knot winds on the ground trying to land when the actual METAR at the time said 6 knots

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
It always struck me as odd that the game was released less than a month after the closed beta launched. I'm really not sure what their development schedule is, but it seems like they've never been good at giving themselves any meaningful chance to respond to end-user feedback.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Here’s hoping maybe their lack of urgency about major poo poo is because its August in France?

Yeah those download issues seem like something that should be a very quick, early patch and they should be working on half the world getting loving real weather.

Really disappointed that their issues tracker has “We fixed the forums being down!” And not major poo poo they need to fix. Like I’ve said, I’m OK if something’s not a one week fix, but I do care if they continue to give the appearance of not knowing or caring about it.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I don't think anyone should be suprised that a modern game was shipped prior to proper testing and fixing bugs. With the ability to patch games post launch, customers are the new testers, it's just the sad truth. I just hope the game gets continued long term support so these other issues are addressed.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

McLarenF1 posted:

I don't think anyone should be suprised that a modern game was shipped prior to proper testing and fixing bugs. With the ability to patch games post launch, customers are the new testers, it's just the sad truth. I just hope the game gets continued long term support so these other issues are addressed.

No, totally agreed. I said if I could play within a day or two of launch without some major hell bug, it would be a “good” launch by today’s standards. My contention is just about their communication. It would go a long way to say “sorry the weathers hosed and we’re looking at it” considering they have an issues tracker.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had issues with ATC giving you landing clearance at the same time as other planes? I was flying in pattern and finally got clearance as shortly afterwards I hear ATC give an inbound AI airliner clearance to land on the opposite end of the runway. Sure enough as I'm coming in to land I see a giant airliner coming right at me. I tell ATC imm going around and I again get clearance to land which I then do safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It always struck me as odd that the game was released less than a month after the closed beta launched. I'm really not sure what their development schedule is, but it seems like they've never been good at giving themselves any meaningful chance to respond to end-user feedback.

My guess is the original plan was for a later (holiday-ish) release, but once the 'rona meant some big ticket games started getting pushed into that window and likely started threatening the release schedule for the next gen Xbox (and launch games), someone decided "meh, close enough" and released it early.

Quite a few of the issues (like the total lack of documentation and half-done checklists) strike me as things that weren't finished (as opposed to "done but buggy"), so hopefully they stick to something like their planned update schedule.