Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

bobjr posted:

I remember the after show interviews where one of the 2 guys said "The Reach doesn't actually have an army, their power is in their resources and crops"

THEN WHO THE gently caress WAS IT THAT TOOK DOWN STANNIS BARATHEON'S ARMY AT THE GATES OF KING'S LANDING?! TYWIN'S FORCE ALONE, AFTER MARCHING FROM THE RIVERLANDS?! God, this poo poo should not get me as angry as it does. D&D are hack frauds, but some things are unforgivable. Yes, The Reach was lightly defended. This makes sense, because when you have fertile land, crops on it, and amassed wealth. ... you just.... I guess never have to defend that? Ever? Or you tell your outlying regions to send any plaintiff raiders to meet Ser Loras Tyrell in single combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He's also such a sulky prick in the show. Isn't Book Loras basically the knightliest knight who ever knighted? (apart from the occasional dirty trick with horny horses)

Sort of, but he's also kind of an arrogant douchebag and Sansa notes that his "chivalry" is basically empty posing, and Jaime thinks he's a like carbon copy of his younger self.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Apoplexy posted:

THEN WHO THE gently caress WAS IT THAT TOOK DOWN STANNIS BARATHEON'S ARMY AT THE GATES OF KING'S LANDING?! TYWIN'S FORCE ALONE, AFTER MARCHING FROM THE RIVERLANDS?! God, this poo poo should not get me as angry as it does. D&D are hack frauds, but some things are unforgivable. Yes, The Reach was lightly defended. This makes sense, because when you have fertile land, crops on it, and amassed wealth. ... you just.... I guess never have to defend that? Ever? Or you tell your outlying regions to send any plaintiff raiders to meet Ser Loras Tyrell in single combat?

The worst part about that is a few seasons prior you had Tywin tell Cersei that the Tyrells were holding up their army because their money and power were running out, something speculated in the books but never confirmed, only to go back on it and have the Lannisters just roll up and take them over without a fight.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

See Loras was supposed to be the new hotness; a version of Jaime Lannister who never had to taste public shame and got to enjoy the prime of his life in absolute arrogance. He was one of the top tier fighters in the books, up there with Brienne and two handed Jaime.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That was in the books, though. In the show I always thought of Loras as just kind of a pretty boy dilettante -- able to win a setpiece joust with tournament rules, but with no real capability for actual warfare. I don't think they ever showed him as martially competent outside the tournaments (and even then, he still nearly got Mountained to death).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought he got horribly mangled in one of the new books, but I can't remember which one. Feast maybe? He got really badly burned or something attacking Dragonstone, maybe?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

See Loras was supposed to be the new hotness; a version of Jaime Lannister who never had to taste public shame and got to enjoy the prime of his life in absolute arrogance. He was one of the top tier fighters in the books, up there with Brienne and two handed Jaime.

In Olenna's last show scene she comments that fighting 'was never our thing' despite the Reach being a region famous for its knights.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vichan posted:

In Olenna's last show scene she comments that fighting 'was never our thing' despite the Reach being a region famous for its knights.

yeah like real talk none of the seven kingdoms got to be "the seven kingdoms" without being good at fighting

Phenotype posted:

That was in the books, though. In the show I always thought of Loras as just kind of a pretty boy dilettante -- able to win a setpiece joust with tournament rules, but with no real capability for actual warfare. I don't think they ever showed him as martially competent outside the tournaments (and even then, he still nearly got Mountained to death).

the closest they show him doing anything real is that he's the first person in the throne room as Cersei is about to poison herself and Tommen

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Phenotype posted:

It's almost as if the show was badly written or something.

The whole point of Loras and Margaery Tyrell is that they are the non-incestuous, superficially less problematic and media-friendly version of Cersei and Jaime. Their presence serves to underline how incredibly toxic Cersei and Jaime are, and how much of their problems are of their own design; Cersei could have been as beloved of the common people as Margaery if she'd put in a little effort, and Jaime could have been the rising star Loras was if he hadn't killed that loving king. The only way the thematic counterpoint works, though, is if Loras and Margaery are as skilled in their spheres of influence as Cersei and Jaime are, which the show fucks up.

But themes are for book reports, I guess.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought he got horribly mangled in one of the new books, but I can't remember which one. Feast maybe? He got really badly burned or something attacking Dragonstone, maybe?

Yup. He supposedly took boiling oil to the face. But none of the point of view characters have actually seen him since it happened so I’ve always kinda expected it to be some kind of ruse.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's almost as if the show was badly written or something.

The whole point of Loras and Margaery Tyrell is that they are the non-incestuous, superficially less problematic and media-friendly version of Cersei and Jaime. Their presence serves to underline how incredibly toxic Cersei and Jaime are, and how much of their problems are of their own design; Cersei could have been as beloved of the common people as Margaery if she'd put in a little effort, and Jaime could have been the rising star Loras was if he hadn't killed that loving king. The only way the thematic counterpoint works, though, is if Loras and Margaery are as skilled in their spheres of influence as Cersei and Jaime are, which the show fucks up.

But themes are for book reports, I guess.

Killing the king was literally the one thing Jaime should have been proud of though. Although the series fucks that up to with the whole gently caress the people line of his at the end. And I was also pretty sure that most other kings guard looked down on Jaime anyway since he only got put in the guard because of daddy.

I could be wrong though, the end of the series has done the same thing for the got books that Rowling's terfy tweets did to Harry Potter. Can't even read them for nostalgia now.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

An insane mind posted:

I could be wrong though, the end of the series has done the same thing for the got books that Rowling's terfy tweets did to Harry Potter. Can't even read them for nostalgia now.

I remain hopeful that the ending of the books will be different enough that it'll fade the stain of the show from my mind

I'll find out in 2047 presumably

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I've never read the books but in the series, wasn't Tywin actually pissed at Jaime for joining the Kingsguard? I vaguely remember something about how it meant he can never get married and bear Tywin legitimate heirs, and so he couldn't eventually be manipulated onto the throne somehow, and he had to marry his daughter off to Robert instead (and being ignorant of/ignoring the fact that his son was producing children...just not with a woman that wasn't related to him).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've never read the books but in the series, wasn't Tywin actually pissed at Jaime for joining the Kingsguard? I vaguely remember something about how it meant he can never get married and bear Tywin legitimate heirs, and so he couldn't eventually be manipulated onto the throne somehow, and he had to marry his daughter off to Robert instead (and being ignorant of/ignoring the fact that his son was producing children...just not with a woman that wasn't related to him).

Tywin planned to marry Jaime off to Lysa Tully, and Cersei convinced Jaime to join the Kingsguard, making him unavailable for betrothal, so that they could continue their relationship in secret. Tywin was pretty heckin' mad.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Bleck posted:

Tywin planned to marry Jaime off to Lysa Tully, and Cersei convinced Jaime to join the Kingsguard, making him unavailable for betrothal, so that they could continue their relationship in secret. Tywin was pretty heckin' mad.

Ooooh yeah. Why did I think the mad king was the one who made Jaime kg mostly to keep Tywin in check because he basically kept Jaime around as a hostage.

I think I've gone loopy.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

An insane mind posted:

Ooooh yeah. Why did I think the mad king was the one who made Jaime kg mostly to keep Tywin in check because he basically kept Jaime around as a hostage.

I think it's implied that that's what Tywin believes, because Cersei kept her machinations secret from him.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

An insane mind posted:

I think I've gone loopy.

Yeah, you're right. When the mad king ruled, Tywin was his hand and everybody said that Tywin was the true ruler which pissed the king off. As a gently caress you to Tywin, Jaime was allowed to join the Kingsguard.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

An insane mind posted:

I think I've gone loopy.

It was a happy coincidence as far as Aerys was concerned. He got to spit in the eye of the only man in Westeros who could pose a threat to him (again, after all his insults to Tywin's wife), picked up a nice piece of leverage that he could dangle/threaten as needed, and pulled the rug out from under the Southron Alliance scheming (if you believe that particular theory to have any merit). Only thing he couldn't have predicted is Jamie killing him when the stakes were high.

More than anything it shows how selfish and myopic Cersei has always been, undermining her intelligence, and how stupid Jamie is. If either of them had thought through it for five minutes they'd have understood why it was a bad idea for them and for the Lannisters generally.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Do we know if Cersei actually even played a role in Jamie's appointment? I know she asks him about it prior to him getting his white cloak, but I thought that was just Cersei being delusional and wildly overestimating what she could actually get done. It was just a coincidence that he actually ended up joining not long after. I suppose that seems a little convenient timing wise, but realistically what could she have done to influence Aeres decision with who to put on his kings guard? I thought he just did it to spite Tywin and rob him of his heir while gaining a valuable hostage.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bleck posted:

I remain hopeful that the ending of the books will be different enough that it'll fade the stain of the show from my mind

I'll find out in 2047 presumably

Is someone going to finish the series 26 years after gurrm dies?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is someone going to finish the series 26 years after gurrm dies?

It's going to be that Sanderson guy who finished the other series and finishes three books of his own a year as an extra gently caress you. Brandon Sanderson?

Like as soon as grrm croaks it's going to be finished in 2 months.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mat Cauthon posted:

It was a happy coincidence as far as Aerys was concerned. He got to spit in the eye of the only man in Westeros who could pose a threat to him (again, after all his insults to Tywin's wife), picked up a nice piece of leverage that he could dangle/threaten as needed, and pulled the rug out from under the Southron Alliance scheming (if you believe that particular theory to have any merit). Only thing he couldn't have predicted is Jamie killing him when the stakes were high.

More than anything it shows how selfish and myopic Cersei has always been, undermining her intelligence, and how stupid Jamie is. If either of them had thought through it for five minutes they'd have understood why it was a bad idea for them and for the Lannisters generally.

One thing in their favpur here was i think Jaime was 15 at the time as was Cersei, so dumb teenagers fits in here.

See also: Robb Stark, the deconstruction of the youthful warrior king. Never lost a battle, lost the war because he was a dumb teenager.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Everyone in GoT being made an adult was good for TV due to all the underage sex going on. But man does it make a lot of characters seem way more immature when you forget in the books they're literal teens.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Bee posted:

Everyone in GoT being made an adult was good for TV due to all the underage sex going on. But man does it make a lot of characters seem way more immature when you forget in the books they're literal teens.

Remake the show on The WB network. You can keep everyone young and dumb and only imply the underage sex without having to show it. Joshua (Pacey) Jackson can play Stannis.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Random question, what was the name of that youtube guy that did episode by episode reviews and had absolutely batshit crazy theories?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PJakes aka Preston Jacobs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Peace be upon him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am rewatching this poo poo and people really thought that the foreign conqueror who has a moment of triumph be crucifying literally hundreds of people while standing under a red and black banner framed by storm clouds and the agonizing screams of said crucified people was a good person?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Peace be upon him.

Yeah, he's fun. His fixes were interesting too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeAN6DkrH9Q

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Calaveron posted:

I am rewatching this poo poo and people really thought that the foreign conqueror who has a moment of triumph be crucifying literally hundreds of people while standing under a red and black banner framed by storm clouds and the agonizing screams of said crucified people was a good person?

no, that is not anyone's major complaint. enough.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It seems almost pointless to talk about how sound the ending is in theory or on paper, because we have the case in practice and it clearly did not work.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

It seems almost pointless to talk about how sound the ending is in theory or on paper, because we have the case in practice and it clearly did not work.

It's pretty weird they'd cut out fake Aegon not only knowing they were going to do the same ending as the books but also that HBO would've given them as many season as they needed.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

no, that is not anyone's major complaint. enough.

Um. I argued that same point earlier in the thread, and people were very much making that complaint. Go back and read some of the responses to my saying that it was obvious from early on.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The problem with Dany's heel turn was that it didn't make any goddamn sense, not that it wasn't foreshadowed. A bad plot point doesn't become good by virtue of being hinted at beforehand.

Her doing horrible things in the name of the greater good makes sense when the audience ifs given at least enough POV to understand the internal logic of how her conception of the greater good works. But when the bells rang Dany had won, doing a genocide wasn't logical for any reason other than insanity.

Hell even the mad king its established that he was going to burn the city because he was losing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She was just really grumpy about, what's her face....Slave Boobs, getting killed. So then killed everyone but the person she needed/planned to kill. Even though she could have just flown up there and blasted fire into the entire tower, but that's neither here nor there.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah, there's a massive characterisation gap between executing your political enemies to slaughtering civillians en masse for no reason that the show made no attempt to bridge.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 31, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Grey Worm and Missandei

I CARED SO MUCH

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like it when Dany asks if he's missing the pillar or the stones even though I'm pretty sure they showed her their stumps when she bought (lol) them.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Solice Kirsk posted:

She was just really grumpy about, what's her face....Slave Boobs, getting killed. So then killed everyone but the person she needed/planned to kill. Even though she could have just flown up there and blasted fire into the entire tower, but that's neither here nor there.

This could actually work if, say, Arya was there, Jon and Sansa get pissed about their sister dying, Dany has absolutely no remorse, and tensions escalate to the point that Jon kills her to save his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
The treatment of two characters annoyed me in the TV show.

Roose Bolton turned into an idiot when he let Ramsey kill him. Book Roose would never have allowed such a thing to happen.

Areo Hotah was totally ineffectual.