Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ed jeff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

is this jeff's brother or something

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

El Burbo posted:

is this jeff's brother or something

I googled it and apparently not:

facebook post posted:

I get asked all the time, "Is Jeff your brother?". While he's been a friend and colleague since showing up in my weather center in 1999 claiming to be my long lost brother, we are not related. Believe it or not, Piotrowski in Poland is like Smith in America....very common name. Very glad he is OK.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

if this is rural Louisiana then that is likely the before pic

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Niton posted:

I googled it and apparently not:

hello police there is a man in my office screaming at the top of his lungs calling me Jeff and saying I'm his long lost brother

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sincx posted:

some of those houses are surprisingly intact

note a lot of those intact ones are on stilts so they probably only avoided getting flattened by the storm surge, they're still likely unsound as a result of wind damage doing everything but collapsing them.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Where the hell did he get that storm door?!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Thesaurus posted:

Lol the storm door (with wreath!) is fully intact

did you think it was just a funny name

sincx posted:

some of those houses are surprisingly intact

Likely built to stronger codes since Rita did wipe out virtually everything there, and Ike mopped up the rest.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Why don't they just make the whole house out of storm doors!!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

note a lot of those intact ones are on stilts so they probably only avoided getting flattened by the storm surge, they're still likely unsound as a result of wind damage doing everything but collapsing them.

i have always loved the concept of wholesale applying stilts to modern homes. just imagining a mcmansion suspended 20 feet in the air

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
are catastrophic earthquakes under the umbrella of this thread?

if my house gets consumed by a mud lahar will people post in my honor?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

how does plumbing work with houses on stilts?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Homeless Friend posted:

i have always loved the concept of wholesale applying stilts to modern homes. just imagining a mcmansion suspended 20 feet in the air

Just visit the general cape cod region, they are all over the coast, right up on sea walls.

Big ridiculous (vacation) homes on stilts

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SKULL.GIF posted:

The same way it does with houses not on stilts?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

you run the pipes down the side of a stilt

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Homeless Friend posted:

this is literally every beach house built in NC since 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

same as any other house, except it's exposed to the elements underneath. You do something under a beach house for awhile and you gonna hear some flushed toilets gurgle by

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

you run the pipes down the side of a stilt

the andy dufraine method

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pretty well, it's not adding any complications that another story onto the home wouldn't and the crawlspace is a hell of a lot easier to work in.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SKULL.GIF posted:

sewage drips from holes in your floor into the sewage pit, which is occasionally suctioned out by the municipal sewage sucker men

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

theres that one famous photo of the beachline completely destroyed except for one lonely intact house where they paid for every extra hurricane protection except it was still a total writeoff because the windows broke and the inside was totally wrecked

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redleader posted:

sewage drips from holes in your floor into the sewage pit, which is occasionally suctioned out by the municipal sewage sucker men

I belive you'll find that they prefer to go by the name Gong Farmer.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

theres that one famous photo of the beachline completely destroyed except for one lonely intact house where they paid for every extra hurricane protection except it was still a total writeoff because the windows broke and the inside was totally wrecked

thus demonstrating that personal responsibility wrt disaster preparedness is a waste of time

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I wish a hurricane would put my garbage house back together like that

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

the cat appears to be intact and thriving

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Thesaurus posted:

That cat used to be all black.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

the cat seems to be extremely angry that it’s nap spots have been dismantled

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I didn't even notice the cat the first time, drat what a trooper

CODChimera has issued a correction as of 04:58 on Aug 29, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
*cats

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fuuuuuuck. what a great picture

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

cats just enjoy having more places to hide and the new options for pieces of garbage and construction debris to lounge on

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Flunky posted:

cats just enjoy having more places to hide and the new options for pieces of garbage and construction debris to lounge on

They really are the most economical child substitute.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's me

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

it's literally lying down on debris lmao

"I will sleep here now"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Egg Moron posted:

I wish a hurricane would put my garbage house back together like that

i used to rent a better house than that as a brokeass student in the student ghetto working for kinkos, what the gently caress mr weatherman

like i got literally mugged in front of a nicer place than that, that was a block off from a liquor store

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

amazing

quote:

The U.S. toll from the Category 4 hurricane stood at 14 deaths, with more than half of those killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from the unsafe operation of generators.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Americans are dumb.