Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah seeing their tweet last night bluntly saying no Steam preload, then turns out the Game Pass version does is just... baffling

It's called money dawg. and it speaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MoaM posted:

I feel like apologizing for being a downer, just expected a little more oomph in the thread; we are in a pandemic so it don't matta really.

2 was not a good enough game to justify instant excitement. After it's out and people have slammed against it I'll give it a look. I imagine a lot of folks feel the same way, if not even more negative.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TheTrend posted:

It's called money dawg. and it speaks.

That makes no sense, what am I gonna do, buy Game Pass to preload the game I already bought on Steam?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
5min my bitches

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mulva posted:

2 was not a good enough game to justify instant excitement. After it's out and people have slammed against it I'll give it a look. I imagine a lot of folks feel the same way, if not even more negative.
I would argue it was, as the most negative most people who disliked it were was like the "eh, not my thing, they need to update it" level, which in an era of WORST GAME EVER responses to most bad games is pretty good.

If anything, Microsoft buying InXile should help with the hype, as obviously they had access to resources beyond anything they had before to polish this game. Not to mention learning a fair amount about how to fix things just by the time of the Director's Cut of 2.

Yes I am also a Wasteland Superfan but I am absolutely open to listening to things people disliked.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Game is ready to play

*deep sigh*

Now to spend 1hr finding custom portraits for each character...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mulva posted:

Same. I'll probably check it out if reception is particularly positive.

Also I think a lot of people are kinda fatigued from all the nostalgia RPGs of the 2010s. Some of them were real gems but there was also a lot of mediocrity there and these kinda games are real timesinks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Wasteland 2 was less a bad game in the usual sense and more "we are willfully making a throwback that throws back harder than anything else." It made PoE look shamelessly commercialized by comparison. If it wasn't your thing it REALLY wasn't your thing, though the DC was a bit less rough around the edges.

W3 just looks way more polished and user friendly without losing what endeared it to wierdos like me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

couldn't start the download when it went live because I was streaming to teach a class.

Go faster, install!

Anyone got a guide for custom portraits yet? I've spent days combing the internet for some I like but I'd like to know dimension, format, folder, etc so I don't waste any time farting about.

edit: found an answer to my question: https://www.neoseeker.com/wasteland...(Windows%20PC).

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 28, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I never really got that vibe from it, but I guess I'm 100% the type of person who likes these games. I loved fallout tactics, never played Wasteland 1, but 2 really clicked with me.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

BULBASAUR posted:

Game is ready to play

*deep sigh*

Now to spend 1hr finding custom portraits for each character...

NexusMods has a few filepacks that you can browse through.

For my last playthrough I used the following:

https://www.nexusmods.com/wasteland2/mods/15

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I spent an hour making my characters and then immediately blew one up in the opening mission because I didn’t realize that I was supposed to stay behind the barricade and not move my melee character and that “no friendly fire” doesn’t apply to all friendly fire.

So, uh, don’t do anything except mash end turn in the opening mission, I guess.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I've only finished the tutorial section but if nothing else this makes a *much* better impression than Wasteland 2 did.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sex Machine gives +combat speed instead of +penetration, game literally unplayable

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Any idea on sniper attributes? It looks like getting 12ap might be a stretch, so I'm leaning towards high awareness and crit.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Is there supposed to be what sounds like a cutscene playing in the background during char creation?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Extra pen seems like it might be good on a sniper, or hell, any character. Looking at the weapon attributes +2 pen on all weapons seems pretty good since they range from 0-8

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Looks like the GOG Galaxy version is broken for everyone. The launcher either gives you no option to download the game at all, or gives you an error when you try to install.

I understand that these issues happen and that it's only been an hour or so since the game's launch, but this is the first full price game I've bought in years and getting immediately burnt like this sucks

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Boo. That sucks, friend.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Died to a single stabby dude with a knife as my blind rangers whiffed point blank shots repeatedly

Welcome to the wasteland fuckers

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I normally skip melee characters in my party. Are you saying melee... good???

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I normally skip melee characters in my party. Are you saying melee... good???

So it seems. Each weapon type kind of synergizes in different ways, but Brawling can get nuts.

At least in the beta, many weapons would cost 6 AP to shoot; handguns and I think most melee weapons cost 3. Brawling, however, costs 2. Each time you punch someone, you get a stacking bonus to crit chance and damage. The capstone perk reduces the AP cost for Brawling to 1. It can get as nuts as you think.

Melee also gets a much bigger bonus from strength than ranged damage does from Awareness, as well, so while it may be a bit more stat intensive to make a great brawler with good strength and speed and coordination, it's going to have an absurd payoff.

Bladed and Blunt have different bonuses--Bladed is cheaper AP for more attacks (not as cheap as brawling, but you can spread it around more) while blunt is more penetration and damage. Bladed can cause bleeding while blunt does stun, and Bladed can do bonus damage to burning targets while blunt does bonus damage to frozen targets.

Something I see mentioned repeatedly is that money for ammo is a concern--a single sniper round might be more than a dollar, so you have to balance doing damage against emptying your pocketbook. At least one dev said in an interview that he expects anyone with an expensive weapon skill like Sniper Rifles or Big Guns to also invest in a melee skill.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 28, 2020

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

are non assault rifle guns worth using in this one?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I funded the game years ago and forgot about it until I got the announcement that it was out. They want me to create an account on some website called crowdox and I can't figure out how to get my steam key

e: somehow I got the email telling me to redeem my key opened it and looked at it and then promptly forgot it existed.

rodbeard fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 28, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Playing on Xbox. Glad to see they have continued the patented iXile move of having portraits that don’t match any of the character customization options and vice versa. I have enjoyed my first hour of staring at the character build screen and making choices. Looking forward to maybe getting to the tutorial tomorrow.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Energy weapons were weird in W2. They were supposed to be situationally useful, but then they tossed in one that essentially always did bonus damage and had basically the highest DPS in the game and was obtained before the halfway point of the game. Instead of rebalancing that gun they just destroyed the utility of all energy weapons.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Couple quick questions before I try again tomorrow after my disastrous first attempt:

Can you respec characters at any point in this, or are you hosed if you screw up your starting stats/abilities?
Are there any other skills you have to put on your starting two characters (along the lines of what Eddain posted) or else you miss out on important stuff in the early game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

rodbeard posted:

Energy weapons were weird in W2. They were supposed to be situationally useful, but then they tossed in one that essentially always did bonus damage and had basically the highest DPS in the game and was obtained before the halfway point of the game. Instead of rebalancing that gun they just destroyed the utility of all energy weapons.

Energy weapons are better in W3 in some ways. They basically got split in 2. Every normal weapon type has some energy weapons in it so you can always use them in a pinch and they just flat ignore armor now. So you can find assualt rifles/heavy weapons/pistols that need those skills but use energy cells and do energy damage.

Then you have the Weird Science skill which buffs your energy damage and let's you use more non-standard stuff like Shrink-Rays or freeze guns that have different effects than just another form of damage.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Apart from unique banters with each other, is there anything extra tying the premades into the world or just to each other? I’m assuming this isn’t like D:OS2 or anything?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The game looks and plays awesome but geez, these super long loading times on my rig and huge frame rate issues on a RTX2070. Quickloading shouldn't take 40 secs to a minute.

It looks great but I might wait for a patch to solve those issues.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Custom portraits should be 420x337px as either a JPG or PNG and placed into a self-created folder named: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Wasteland3\Custom Portraits\

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I didn't know Wasteland 3 has a faction that worships Reagan who you can terrorize.....

bought

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

leadership only effects other teammates right? so does having lonewolf on my leadership character work?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So uh, are there npc party members or do I have to use the premades for reactivity?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Aerox posted:

Couple quick questions before I try again tomorrow after my disastrous first attempt:

Can you respec characters at any point in this, or are you hosed if you screw up your starting stats/abilities?
Are there any other skills you have to put on your starting two characters (along the lines of what Eddain posted) or else you miss out on important stuff in the early game?

Well in just the tutorial if you don't have 1 point of animal whisperer you miss a unique pet, and if you don't have at least one point of either hard rear end or kiss rear end, then a companion you can recruit later will be whacked now.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Well in just the tutorial if you don't have 1 point of animal whisperer you miss a unique pet, and if you don't have at least one point of either hard rear end or kiss rear end, then a companion you can recruit later will be whacked now.

Oh well guess that answer my question inadvertently thanks.

Edit: anyone know a non-spoiler list of npc recruits and their skills?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 28, 2020

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

marshmallow creep posted:

You don't need Animal Whisperer for that. Accept the Cigs from Jodie and then give them to Major Tom. He will join you from then on.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

why would you have a dope rear end looking hood+gasmask combo in the splash screen art and not actually have that in the game!!! :argh:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

why would you have a dope rear end looking hood+gasmask combo in the splash screen art and not actually have that in the game!!! :argh:

Also one of the portraits has long loose dreads but no option even gets close to it.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Are you guys enjoying the game? I wanted to so badly to like W2 but hated every aspect of it, especially the voice acting (which has never bothered me in any other game in memory).