Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It gives the Denis-verse a bit of dark weirdness. I mean, I'm not expecting him to 'out-weird' Lynch...nor do I want him to because I think Lynch's vision wasn't all that coherent, rather it was aiming for a ghastly supernatural eccentricity which was kind of at odds with how grounded a lot of Dune is. But the weird space mysticism and thematic allusions to old terran lore need to be depicted somehow.

Part of the issue is that Frank wanted the reader to go "...ok this is weird" about every 10 pages in every book, which results in an unimaginable escalation of weirdness. Remember how it's a secret in the first one that the guild navigators (who are, at this point, just ordinary dudes) are addicted to the spice, and by the time Messiah rolls around they're giant fish people floating in spice gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Uh that's a 3rd stage Edrich

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I like how Edric in Messiah was a high-level operator in one of the most central institutions in the imperium, prescient and capable of operating unbelievably complex Holtzman navigation technology and the rest of the conspiracy just clowns on him all the time for how stupid and blockheaded he is compared to them.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

edric more like nerd... ick!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I like how Edric in Messiah was a high-level operator in one of the most central institutions in the imperium, prescient and capable of operating unbelievably complex Holtzman navigation technology and the rest of the conspiracy just clowns on him all the time for how stupid and blockheaded he is compared to them.

I mean I think navigators are just super on the spectrum

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

i just finished a re-read of Messiah like an hour ago and I kept cracking up at how literally everyone clowns on Edric.

Reverend Mother Gaius Mohiam: conspiracy is simple. just need to find a guild navigator.

Edric: what about Edric?

GM: Edric? Man I could not name a more suck-rear end navigator.

Edric: ...

GM: Just downright dogshit of a navigator

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Plantetary ecologist

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

euphronius posted:

Plantetary ecologist

There's a phrase that'll make any actual ecologists' eyes bleed. (Dune was dedicated to dryland ecologists, wasn't it?)
I love the idea that the empire just assumes one single person is sufficient to understand every biome on an entire world. Aaaaall of the species and all their interactions. As opposed to, like, spending eight years measuring the width of sea-snail bite marks to work out how much epiphytic algae they can remove from one species of sea grass in one particular estuary.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s assumed liet kynes has a staff

But I mean capital doesn’t give a poo poo about planetary ecology

That’s why they lose

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WITH OUT LOOKING IT UP

who is Jessica’s mother ?

Don’t look it up

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ok, that makes sense. I mean there's a bunch of "testing stations" everywhere, isn't there?
I guess capital is in the process of turning earth into arrakis, minus the giant worms

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

euphronius posted:

WITH OUT LOOKING IT UP

Don’t look it up

Pain.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The real answer is crazy

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Ok, that makes sense. I mean there's a bunch of "testing stations" everywhere, isn't there?
I guess capital is in the process of turning earth into arrakis, minus the giant worms

We're getting giant worms as well https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938181&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

edric's entire role was to simply hang out next to the actual important people i'm not exactly surprised they shat on him. what was he gonna do? bonk into his tank at them?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

There's a phrase that'll make any actual ecologists' eyes bleed. (Dune was dedicated to dryland ecologists, wasn't it?)
I love the idea that the empire just assumes one single person is sufficient to understand every biome on an entire world. Aaaaall of the species and all their interactions. As opposed to, like, spending eight years measuring the width of sea-snail bite marks to work out how much epiphytic algae they can remove from one species of sea grass in one particular estuary.

In fairness pretty much every character we know has been physically and/or mentally trained to a literally incomprehensible extent (not to mention the eugenics)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Malcolm XML posted:

edric's entire role was to simply hang out next to the actual important people i'm not exactly surprised they shat on him. what was he gonna do? bonk into his tank at them?

Yeah. Edric's real job was probably sometime-pilot and nerdy space math professor. His oracular abilities were all he had to offer the conspiracy. That and if they didn't involve the Guild they couldn't be sure the Guild wouldn't blow the whistle on them

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's all good context for how clandestine and elite that cabal is. In the first book the Atreides dont seem to know what they look like even from hearsay. But then again there are some normal dudes from the guild at the end of the book too. A navigator showing up to something seems like Frank's way of saying this is some big time cloak and dagger stuff kicking off the sequel

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
True that. And in his other books, Frank's actual aliens are usually p trippy too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

euphronius posted:

WITH OUT LOOKING IT UP

Don’t look it up

in the bad books, mohiam

and she makes the baron fat with pussy magic, are you happy now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I think along with people being racist for him being a fish tank mutant people basically consider him a huge nerd with engineer brain

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blue eyes? Motherfucker I have blue EVERYTHING

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Once again I'm forced to ponder the similarity of this image to one of SA fave morbid photoshop targets.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ibad is stored in the balls

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

complete image set (some new ones) https://www.patreon.com/posts/40899449

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
put your FOOT in the box

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

that there is what we on DUNE call ADULT BEEFSWELLING

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Please do not spoil dune i have not seen it tia.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Part of the issue is that Frank wanted the reader to go "...ok this is weird" about every 10 pages in every book, which results in an unimaginable escalation of weirdness. Remember how it's a secret in the first one that the guild navigators (who are, at this point, just ordinary dudes) are addicted to the spice, and by the time Messiah rolls around they're giant fish people floating in spice gas.

I read the original trilogy a while ago, and I like the escalation of weirdness. Last night, I started in on God Emperor and things get cranked up to 11 REAL fast. Like, I've read the discussions about, "I just can't stop killing Duncans!" and I figured that was going to be some big reveal. NOPE! Second chapter. I also like that Herbert goes all in on "I'm really gonna switch up the format" and starts in immediately with some guided tour of history, then there's a traditional chapter, then a journal entry, then spoken dialogue...

I know I'll eventually continue through the rest of the Frank books but here's the thing. In the introduction by Fail-son, he states that God Emperor is a "bridging book" between the first trilogy and a second one composed of Heretics, Chapterhouse, and then he took his father's notes for the 3rd book and created Sandworms and Hunters with KJA. Is it *at all* worth the time to go all the way through Sandworms and Hunters, since at least they were based on Frank's notes, or do things drop so far in quality that it's just not worth it?

Also, side note, a few weeks back I posted that I was starting Foundation with a critical eye towards "Dune was a direct response to this", and I did finish the first book of that in about a week. It *is* very easy to draw connections between the two and I'm wondering if, when the Foundation show debuts on AppleTV, anyone's going to also make connections to DUNC.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm starting chapterhouse now and I'm definitely stopping there. The impression I get from the experts itt is that the "dads notes for book 7" thing is kind of a crock

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
wormsign!

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1299362065933627394

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1299363883489153027

D U N C

that is a toothy worm

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm starting chapterhouse now and I'm definitely stopping there. The impression I get from the experts itt is that the "dads notes for book 7" thing is kind of a crock
There are 6 Dune books, OP, and they were written by Frank Herbert.
There is also a canon Dune Encyclopedia.
That is all. No other books exist, or ever will exist.
Or, put succinctly by Frank Herbert himself:
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ooh wee that iris-worm is really swelling my beef. Bizarre and terrifying

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Like baleen on a lamprey. Love it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i like how they just throw duncan in with the fremen

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Got some mask compliance in front of shai hulud as well for the people worried about that

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Got some mask compliance in front of shai hulud as well for the people worried about that

Haha! Yes! Water discipline!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

https://youtu.be/jR0vRuZkxdw