Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

holy gently caress those look perfect. good job on the plating too.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

We had a cookout yesterday and was just planning to have a few leftover hotdogs for dinner. But today at the beach we kept seeing mussels and that got us in a serious mood for them.

I am so jealous of this whole post. I wish I lived near a beach so bad, I miss it so much ugh :negative:

and mussels are the best, those look beautiful

this preparation looks very good!! i usually cover it in marinara and cheese for eggplant parm and call it a day because eggplant texture -even when properly dried and fried- is iffy for me. yes i like baba ganoush but that's different. i will try this next time i see good eggplants around. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Reubens (Homemade quick rye bread and sauerkraut.) slaw, and zucchini dill pickle.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

excellent bird guy posted:

Here's some of the Sweet Potato soup I'm trying to make except with rice sticks and mushrooms. I tried to fry the rice sticks as the box recommended first but it wasn't working, but I got them nice and spicy and just poured it all into my sweet potato pot of water. I may or may not drink the water, I remember that too much fat is not suggested and I see the oil.
(edit: I just thought, I wonder what would happen if I put coconut flour in it! I have no idea, I might find out.)
(update: This was so good! Coconut flour soaked up the spare oil and the taste was, I was very happy with it)

I know this looks bad but it was pretty interesting, 5 eggs in again coconut oil/milk with the last bits of sweet indian pickles for seasoning. They were so filling, I couldn't eat them all. Tumeric gives it a great yellow color

Just sharing that I love your posts. Step by step pics with your thought process mixed in would be amazing.

Here's a lentil coconut curry I made and very much enjoyed recently.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
(extremely poorly lit) shrimp taco night!

sauce is greek yogurt, garlic cloves sauteed in butter, half an avocado, juice from half a lime, salt, and pepper thrown together and stick blended

served with tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and cilantro microgreens!

e: and also thanks for the kind words on the eggplant! was the wife's idea, first time trying it and will definitely make again

kumba fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 25, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Teriyaki pork chop, grilled zucchini, rice.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

kumba posted:

(extremely poorly lit) shrimp taco night!

sauce is greek yogurt, garlic cloves sauteed in butter, half an avocado, juice from half a lime, salt, and pepper thrown together and stick blended

served with tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and cilantro microgreens!

e: and also thanks for the kind words on the eggplant! was the wife's idea, first time trying it and will definitely make again

Tortillas could have used a min more on each side on a hot pan, they look barely warmed through... or turn them directly over the fire a few times.

Tortilla de harina sin comalear no es de Dios.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 25, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

toplitzin posted:

Extremely nice.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fuuuuck!

i bought a pound of "Mexican street corn" off the cob from my local grocery store because I thought it'd be a decent approximation and holy hell was i so, so wrong.

always make your own or buy em from someone who knows goddamed elote.

e: i was going to take a picture of that mess but i threw it away last night. worst $6 ive spent all year. never trust a new england grocery store to do elote properly. im pretty sure it included green bell pepper and hominy

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
A lot of good food posted recently. I could crush that rueben or pork chop right now.

Over the weekend, I did lots of cooking and drinking. Still slightly hungover and full.

Panzanella

Honey siracha chicken wings, cumin potatoes with extra onions, and sichuan-ish green beans

Shakshuka

I also cooked a ribeye and beef chow fun, but they did not photograph well, even by my standards.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Professor Wayne posted:

A lot of good food posted recently. I could crush that rueben or pork chop right now.

Over the weekend, I did lots of cooking and drinking. Still slightly hungover and full.

Panzanella

Honey siracha chicken wings, cumin potatoes with extra onions, and sichuan-ish green beans

Shakshuka

I also cooked a ribeye and beef chow fun, but they did not photograph well, even by my standards.

loving hell that's a plate! Bravo or brava!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Looks great. Grilled zucchini is so good, and I’m upset it took me years to find this out because I was used to the flavorless mush of childhood steamed zucchini.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

Looks great. Grilled zucchini is so good, and I’m upset it took me years to find this out because I was used to the flavorless mush of childhood steamed zucchini.

The real secret?

Grilled brined zucchini.
10% salt by water weight, brine an hour before grilling.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gimme some recipes for smoked kippers, I bought a package of dry-smoked kippers as quarantine food and they are WAY stronger than the tinned kippers I'm used to.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Here’s a nice aglio e olio.

Sauté garlic, chopped anchovies, red pepper flakes, lemon. Toss in cooked spaghetti and parsley. Done.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
ONIONS

BUTTER

Browned Onions

The powder moz cheese didn't play very well with the heat. It clumped up rather than melting evenly. The onions were so rich, just a tiny bit made you full. I couldn't eat it all. This is supposed to lend flavor to a greater recipe but I didn't really have anything else around. Toast would've been nice.
If you just want to have a nice meal of onions this would be a good and enjoyable way to enjoy that.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Arglebargle III posted:

Gimme some recipes for smoked kippers, I bought a package of dry-smoked kippers as quarantine food and they are WAY stronger than the tinned kippers I'm used to.

I love kippers, I used to watch Red Dwarf, one of the main characters catch phrase was "smoke me a kipper!" So I also enjoy a smoked kipper. It goes good in fried or scrambled eggs. In general ginger will cut a fishy flavor.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ONIONS

BUTTER

Browned Onions

The powder moz cheese didn't play very well with the heat. It clumped up rather than melting evenly. The onions were so rich, just a tiny bit made you full. I couldn't eat it all. This is supposed to lend flavor to a greater recipe but I didn't really have anything else around. Toast would've been nice.
If you just want to have a nice meal of onions this would be a good and enjoyable way to enjoy that.

What is this an entire stick of butter?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Did you use 2 different skillets? So you just straight up ate onions? You said browned onions but those have very little color on them did you mean caramelized? Wtf is powdered mozzarella.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what is the, uh, what is the grey stuff?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
hang on is this a tiny toad staring at me over that onion? :stare:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Arglebargle III posted:

Kippers on buttered toast with a little Sriracha.

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

ONIONS

BUTTER

Browned Onions

I'm not sure what to be more concerned about, the amount of butter, the apparent mud (?)/rust in that cast iron pan, how undercooked the onions are or whatever the gently caress mozzarella powder is, or that you are basically an entire onion and a stick of butter.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Bird is the gurf of meals

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
even worse gimmick than nooner

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Cross posting from YLLS, but I really want to see your 4 chicken thigh dinner though.

After I eat I lose all motivation to work, read, study, exercise, anything. It's like my brain goes numb. I sucks, even if it's just like 4 chicken thighs I'm through with my intellectual work. I think today since I woke up at 3am I'm going to put off eating until at least 3pm so I can be productive. I don't particularly want to lose weight though.

For content, I made a salmon teriyaki bowl tonight. I need to buy some smaller bowls...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

even worse gimmick than nooner

The thing about gimmick posters is they think they're succeeding when people hate their schtick. It's like walking into a grocery store and making GBS threads on the floor just so you can brag to your friends later about how people reacted.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hallo dinner thread. I made this thing on Monday:

It's spicy miso pasta and it was loving awesome. Only issue was the recipe is good for 3-4 people that don't eat much (I was cooking for 4 mighty hungry folks). I might double it next time to get some leftovers.

Best part of the recipe is that it was quick and used stuff that I already had on hand. Just happened to have some bacon in the freezer.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The thing about gimmick posters is they think they're succeeding when people hate their schtick. It's like walking into a grocery store and making GBS threads on the floor just so you can brag to your friends later about how people reacted.

Ok. That's how i literally actually eat and it's not like something i'm making up for fun. fwiw someone in this thread recommended a book to me 'improvisational cook' and i did exactly what it said in the book for caramelized onions. So thanks for that.
I meant parmesan not powdered moz, it was confusion. I'll buy another skillet, I didn't realize how rusty it's become.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I guess i'll make my own thread from now on to post in, really not trying to 'take a poo poo in the grocery aisle' everytime i take a picture of my dinner. thanks

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

I guess i'll make my own thread from now on to post in, really not trying to 'take a poo poo in the grocery aisle' everytime i take a picture of my dinner. thanks

I am entertained by your posts and hope that I get to keep reading them. Your recipes and executions are bizarre but I don't hate you for it. I just wouldn't come to your house for dinner.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I see excellent bird guy has posted my heart lights up. I love the posts a lot.

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

I'll buy another skillet, I didn't realize how rusty it's become.

Maybe a bit harsh, its fine man. The skillet is easy to fix, just wash it out really good with mild soap and water and reseason it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDTCgxvmShc
Cast iron lasts a lifetime easily.

Maybe the book didn't mention, but when making caramelized onions, you need to cook the hell out of them. A video might explain better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bhA0GcoLM
Caramelized onions are not typically a meal, but i mean hey, you do you. They're normally made with something, kind of like a sauce or ingredient. Personal favorites are burgers and pork chops.

Personally, I learn cooking/recipes way better from videos anyways, if you want some good channels I use I'll dump them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wasn't there was someone like 7 years ago in one of the photography threads who would post plates of food on the floor or something?

Bird guy sort of reminds me of that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Should I not put kippers in scrambled eggs then? It seems like the salty flavor would go well with eggs.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
“The Dougies” from my local high end brewery/restaurant.

Crispy tator tots, four cheese Mac, ground beef with local mushroom sauce purée.

Picture doesn’t do it justice, it’s one of my faves.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Arglebargle III posted:

Should I not put kippers in scrambled eggs then? It seems like the salty flavor would go well with eggs.

I saw kippers and eggs at the menu of a few brunch places when I was in Ireland, and looking around it seems like a thing over in that neck of the woods. I didn't try it but I guess it's a popular idea at least?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Shrimp n grits

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Please do make your own thread and I will personally bully anyone who talks poo poo, relentlessly. I will tuck your thread in at night and kiss it on the head. gently caress those guys lol. You may be an
.. unusual.. cook, but it'll be all the more satisfying once you become a good cook. gently caress them. :hai:

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
My partner makes this a lot . It’s called a mess. 5 bean varieties and ground beef

Also made me this for Father’s Day. Meat loaf w cheese triangle!

Mrs. Sexual fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How Wonderful! posted:

When I see excellent bird guy has posted my heart lights up. I love the posts a lot.

I hope excellent bird guy keeps posting, oddly enough. As much as every single thing they cook makes me cringe, I also really want to see some against-all-odds cinderella story come out of this whole thing where they suddenly evolve into a decent cook (after they finally learn to listen to advice).

I mean, there's only so long a human can continue making mistakes over and over without learning from them, right? Progress is inevitable :v:

Edit: and to keep it dinner-relevant, I'm making Kenji's meat loaf for the first time tonight. Unfortunately the supermarket didn't have marmite, but I can probably compensate for it somehow.