Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I finished unlocking hard mode in DKCTF, what a rad loving game. I don’t think I’m going to replay all the levels on Hard mode because I’m not a masochist, but it seriously might be the best 2D platforming game ever. I thought this thread was overhyping it but nope, it really is that good. Wish I had tried it sooner.

Didn't you find the bosses tedious? I'm with you on the regular levels - they were so drat good. Absolute top tier platformer. But I really hated the bosses. They spend loving 30 seconds loving around invincible and doing non-threatening poo poo, and then you can hit them once, repeat. But they have multiple phases and the first time you see a new phase you're likely to get hit simply because you don't know what attack they are spending 30 seconds telegraphing. And you don't have many hits before you are dead and have to restart. And then you get to wait all over again.

In Hollow Knight, you can play the bosses like that. Hang back for ages carefully dodging and then land the occasional hit. But you can also put your skills to the test and dive in there like a mad bastard. So once you've died to a boss a couple of times you'll be able to bash through its first phases much more quickly because you can take advantage of your knowledge and land more hits early.

No such luck in DK. Knowing what's coming and being able to easily dodge it doesn't let you land more hits because the boss is off in the background being invincible anyway. So each attempt is more tedious than the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

American McGay posted:

then I learned that one of their dads is like a rich famous guy
This is true for basically every """successful""" youtuber and it's a big part of why I only bother with the Stop Skeletons From Fightingses and Jeremies Parish of the scene tbh

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 28, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Social Animal posted:

My brain does not compute puyo at all.

Puyo made more sense when I started looking at it like a fighting game, where you have to balance building large combos to deal large amounts of damage versus small, quick chains to mess up your opponent's build. Tetris is much simpler by comparison, where matches more or less come down to who's faster and you don't really need to look at your opponent's playfield. The tutorials in PPT did a good job of making it click for me, and once I got the hang of staircase builds things became much, much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEhK5YsAC88

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Moon freezes whenever I try to exit out of the tower viewer (binoculars) located at the end of the King's Castle. Does this happen with anyone else? Do I need to use it in order to progress the game?
I'm new to the game so I cannot answer about progression, but I have not had this problem

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If the speculeakers are correct, we will have an actual Nintendo Direct in the next 12 hours.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the nintendo direct just dropped in japan, and miyamoto announced that nintendo is no longer a company

rip

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
gently caress, looks like my uncle just lost his job

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they also announced that the metroid prime trilogy will be burger king exclusive

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bulgakov posted:

the nintendo direct just dropped in japan, and miyamoto announced that nintendo is no longer a company

rip
I doubt it dropped at the exact same time that Shinzo Abe announced that he's resigning as PM.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Resetera has had 14 500+ page threads seething in hype for a general direct so I dunno what you're complaining about here. 4chan has 5-6 fake leaks posted a week

Is that how low the bar is

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bulgakov posted:

rip

He also revealed English Mother 3. Then permanently deleted all the source code/files related to the game on camera.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Waltzing Along posted:

Game explain sucks. The only good nintendo reviewer is Scott the Woz.

I don't understand this at all. Guy tries way too hard to seem witty and it all comes off as forced.

And I agree with kingslime in saying that Andre from GameXplain has a bad voice for videos. Seems like a super nice guy, but man, he doesn't even finish his words and tends to jumble them all together.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I was so disappointed with the Crystal Chronicles remake today that I dug out the Wii, four old gbas with links and lights, and played the original instead with some friends that had never heard of it

Crossplay sounded like an acceptable trade-off for no local co-op until I found out that the other players never actually join your game outside of dungeons, they really hosed up the multiplayer in this for no good reason

Jackard fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 28, 2020

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Samurai Sanders posted:

I doubt it dropped at the exact same time that Shinzo Abe announced that he's resigning as PM.

but wouldn't that make all the more sense??

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

also a four swords reboot is coming to switch but this time there are five swords

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

and then I learned that one of their dads is like a rich famous guy

To be clear one of their dads is Rob Paulsen. He was the voice of Yakko, Donatello, and other cartoons you probably know but he's "convention center famous" at best. He's about as rich as you local car dealership owner. Rich, but not like super kids do whatever they want rich. His son Ash is not the founder or in charge.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

To be clear one of their dads is Rob Paulsen. He was the voice of Yakko, Donatello, and other cartoons you probably know but he's "convention center famous" at best. He's about as rich as you local car dealership owner. Rich, but not like super kids do whatever they want rich. His son Ash is not the founder or in charge.

Raphael, at least in the originala cartoon :goonsay:

Anyway, sorry for possibly continuing the derail, but Paulsen has a podcast now about voice acting, and it's great. At one point in each episode, the guest will read a part of a script, but do it in one of their famous but unrelated voices.

This is Goofy as Don Corleone. :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AroizPqj14M

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Hypnospace Outlaw like Papers Please but with an intentionally terrible interface

Edit: oh god I’m having flashbacks to geocities pages

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 28, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Raphael, at least in the originala cartoon :goonsay:

Anyway, sorry for possibly continuing the derail, but Paulsen has a podcast now about voice acting, and it's great. At one point in each episode, the guest will read a part of a script, but do it in one of their famous but unrelated voices.

This is Goofy as Don Corleone. :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AroizPqj14M

Got to see him and Maurice Lamarche (The Brain from Pinky & the Brain, Chief Quimby, Futurama aliens) at the local comic-con last year.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Jimbozig posted:

Didn't you find the bosses tedious? I'm with you on the regular levels - they were so drat good. Absolute top tier platformer. But I really hated the bosses. They spend loving 30 seconds loving around invincible and doing non-threatening poo poo, and then you can hit them once, repeat. But they have multiple phases and the first time you see a new phase you're likely to get hit simply because you don't know what attack they are spending 30 seconds telegraphing. And you don't have many hits before you are dead and have to restart. And then you get to wait all over again.

In Hollow Knight, you can play the bosses like that. Hang back for ages carefully dodging and then land the occasional hit. But you can also put your skills to the test and dive in there like a mad bastard. So once you've died to a boss a couple of times you'll be able to bash through its first phases much more quickly because you can take advantage of your knowledge and land more hits early.

No such luck in DK. Knowing what's coming and being able to easily dodge it doesn't let you land more hits because the boss is off in the background being invincible anyway. So each attempt is more tedious than the last.

Yeah they can be long tedious fights, but on replay I found several opportunities to hit them that I had missed before. So its possible to streamline the fight somewhat, but it's usually riskier.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Yes definitely, the bosses were easily the low point, but mostly because they were so long and repetitive. I kind of forgot about them because I never went back to replay them after finishing the campaign. I focused on replaying levels to get all the KONG letters and finding secret exits, which fortunately did not require me to replay the bosses.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
that being said, I do enjoy the attempt to invent new enemies instead of just re-using the same guys from the previous games. The viking people were great and I loved that one world with the harvesting of fruit to freeze them into giant popsicles

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dktf's bosses are also manageable in that you can make yourself effectively immortal if you come in there with a full stock of barrels, so while they might make for a tedious fight, it's likely one you don't have to repeat over and over again

this doesn't apply to the final boss, bastard that he is

fantastic music for the penultimate one, though!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

bowmore posted:

they also announced that the metroid prime trilogy will be burger king exclusive

Finally there's a reason for there to be 3 Burgers within on square mile of my house!

Also is there a way for me to "git gud" at reflex based games at 29? I'm horrendous at like 90% of 2D platformers/metroidvania type games. I bought the legacy MegaMan collection and I'm getting absolutely stomped even with half cheating with the rewind button.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Finally there's a reason for there to be 3 Burgers within on square mile of my house!

Also is there a way for me to "git gud" at reflex based games at 29? I'm horrendous at like 90% of 2D platformers/metroidvania type games. I bought the legacy MegaMan collection and I'm getting absolutely stomped even with half cheating with the rewind button.

Honestly the best way to get better at those games is not to try to respond on instinct but to learn what is coming up so you have plenty of time to react. The stages are entirely linear and usually extremely predictable so it's less a case of twitch and more understanding what is coming up.This even applies to boss fights.

The other thing is: Don't be afraid to use the tools put into the games to make them easier. Use weapons that enemies are weak to. Spam E-Canisters against enemies you can't beat normally. Don't be ashamed of damage-racing because in a fair number of Mega Man games that's a valid tactic if you have the enemy weakness.

For Metroidvanias it's usually a lot less about twitch and a lot more about levels or equipment. It's fairly easy to break most of those games within the first hour or two.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

I mean, practice?

I can't imagine that being 29 should have anything to do with it unless you are trying to be in the elite 1% of gamers or something

Mega Man is just balls hard

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zurtilik posted:

Just practice man, there isn't really any secret to it unfortunately

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Noooo. Practice? It's learning to draw all over again.

Thanks all.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I gave up on the expansion stuff because you can only do it in NG+ and if you thought it was a slog now just wait oh boy.

From looking at this page of the wiki I figured the content limited to NG+ were the three Penitence. Are you saying everything listed under "New Content" is limited to NG+? I've been waffling between buying Blasphemous or Hyper Light Drifter because they both went on sale yesterday. The Blasphemous chat your comment came from isn't casting the game in a positive light. :(

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

The secret, as with all games where people think reactions matter, is that reactions don't really matter that much.

All of these games are about anticipating based on either knowing the stage or being familiar with the game rather than pure reactions. Also about using the proper tools.

Just like in fighting games reactions are way less important than you think, it's mostly about experience. And everyone is bad when they start!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

Just give me Windjammers 2 on the Switch, that's all I need and then they can call it a year

tbh I feel like Windjammers is already perfect for what it is and any attempt to improve on it would fail and only confuse people who ask "should I play windjammers 1 or 2?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hyper Light Drifter was fan-loving-tastic
hard, but felt fair

I played only the demo of Blasphemous and... I don't have the time for a modern Ghosts and Goblins level "gently caress you" hard game, no matter how nice it looks

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Here is a visual aid for my theory. On the left is regular old Windjammers. On the right is a Windjammers sequel with HD graphics, more arenas, an orchestral soundtrack, season passes, campaign mode, DLC characters, and a new "super parry" system that rewards fast reflexes by filling an "ultimate" bar to unleash a crushing super volley:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Haha weird, I used to know Ash Paulsen in the early 2000s on an AOL Final Fantasy message board. I'd seen Game Explain pop up on my YouTube feed but I had no idea that was him.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/nintendoupd8s/status/1299339431292231680

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Wildtortilla posted:

From looking at this page of the wiki I figured the content limited to NG+ were the three Penitence. Are you saying everything listed under "New Content" is limited to NG+? I've been waffling between buying Blasphemous or Hyper Light Drifter because they both went on sale yesterday. The Blasphemous chat your comment came from isn't casting the game in a positive light. :(

imo Blasphemous is amazing but it's definitely not gonna be everyone's thing, HLD is probably a safer bet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blasphemous isn't even the hardest 2d soulslike i've played, it doesn't come within a hundred miles of ghosts & goblins and that abomination it calls a jump

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Huzzah! posted:

Someone made a thread for it with a nice first post.

Thanks for this. People have been harping about that game an awful lot but nobody explained what it even is, to my knowledge. That OP pushed it from "OK? Meh?" to "Holy poo poo this game sounds exactly my jam!"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Oxxidation posted:

blasphemous isn't even the hardest 2d soulslike i've played, it doesn't come within a hundred miles of ghosts & goblins and that abomination it calls a jump

It's not really hard. Hard is fun. Blasphemous is just...annoying. The bosses, while they seem hard at first, only took me one or two tries and at least on a new game, even the tough combat sections are really not that tough.

all the spikes and pits and the fact that your character never gets faster just suck. to give you an idea of the games philosophy on this, like three of the five "movement" upgrades do lame poo poo like "toxic clouds in very specific locations no longer kill you" or "pitfalls no longer kill you and instead you actually transition to the room below"

That's right, without an end game upgrade, rooms that are connected at the top/bottom will kill you if the transition involves falling into a pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's definitely not designed like a regular metroidvania, again it's closer to 2D Souls, there are sort of movement upgrades but none are required to beat the game, the only thing blocking your main path progress is keys. The upgrades just lead to more items and other non-essential stuff.
I really enjoyed Blasphemous but it's slow paced and not for everyone.