Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I have my first work trip in four months tomorrow. Driving up to NYC from DC though, not prepared to risk the train or flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Waroduce posted:

we opened up 3 weeks ago to 30 people (VP and above) and we got 8 positives after the first week and shut it all back down so LOL just LOL

South Florida

I work for a really big conservative as heck engineering firm (though I repeat myself) and all the top brass have been banging the drum for everyone (EVERYONE) to get back to the office. D-Day was supposed to be this previous Monday but they got enough pushback to delay for a while longer.

Naturally, our current financials are crushing it and they're getting more work out of me and most everyone else than they ever have before but like, if you can't look over someone's shoulder and wear sportcoats and gladhand, are you really managing effectively?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Barry posted:

I work for a really big conservative as heck engineering firm (though I repeat myself) and all the top brass have been banging the drum for everyone (EVERYONE) to get back to the office. D-Day was supposed to be this previous Monday but they got enough pushback to delay for a while longer.

Naturally, our current financials are crushing it and they're getting more work out of me and most everyone else than they ever have before but like, if you can't look over someone's shoulder and wear sportcoats and gladhand, are you really managing effectively?

If anything good comes out of all this horseshit, I hope it includes killing this management style.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I haven't been a frequent traveler since 2017 and just lurk here anymore but seemed appropriate for this thread.

https://twitter.com/wogoat/status/1291600228974354432?s=20

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
first time in ATL since march and had a long layover- the giant food court in concourse E was closed. foot traffic was way down, but activity was still very high at B and C. there were tons of non-business travelers and the remaining restaurants were packed. they were seating people at tables with beer residue all over them, so they were clearly not wiping things down.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I was thinking that at least after COVID Airport Food Courts will no longer be unkept, gross and disgusting.

Guess I was wrong :smith:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Everyone is coming to Miami cause we dont care about anything

The amount of tourists on tinder and bumble and poo poo is loving ridic. Significantly more than pre pandemic

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Isn't the Summer and Fall the low end for Florida tourism? And aren't bars and clubs closed?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Gabriel S. posted:

Isn't the Summer and Fall the low end for Florida tourism? And aren't bars and clubs closed?

Not when Florida is a goddamn free-for-all and many residents of our fine country are morons.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Thoguh posted:

I haven't been a frequent traveler since 2017 and just lurk here anymore but seemed appropriate for this thread.

https://twitter.com/wogoat/status/1291600228974354432?s=20

poo poo, try states. Covered under essential thing for the most part but the customers still want to see recent negative test results before letting me work.

i think of demons posted:

first time in ATL since march and had a long layover- the giant food court in concourse E was closed. foot traffic was way down, but activity was still very high at B and C. there were tons of non-business travelers and the remaining restaurants were packed. they were seating people at tables with beer residue all over them, so they were clearly not wiping things down.

Stone Arch in MSP seemed to be doing at least a half decent job of cleaning up, last decent place to eat since they closed Axel's. : (

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 11, 2020

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

i think of demons posted:

I was in ATL in late June and it was a total shitshow then as well.

Gonna be in SFO next week, for only my second trip since this poo poo started, interested to see how it compares.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Gabriel S. posted:

I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and tried to go to a Dennys. It was slammed, wall to wall with obese, maskless, idiots. I don't know if the bars are closed in Florida but you can certainly get yourself a grand-slamwhich with extra syrup and a side of permanent lung damage.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and tried to go to a Dennys. It was slammed, wall to wall with obese, maskless, idiots. I don't know if the bars are closed in Florida but you can certainly get yourself a grand-slamwhich with extra syrup and a side of permanent lung damage.

Why?! Why would you do that to yourself?

I live in Orlando and while bars are pretty much closed unless they serve food, there’s plenty of places to eat or order from that aren’t Denny’s.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

Why?! Why would you do that to yourself?

I live in Orlando and while bars are pretty much closed unless they serve food, there’s plenty of places to eat or order from that aren’t Denny’s.

Denny's is just one of those places you end up at sometimes whether you think it's a good idea or not.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I know where I end up after Denny's

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

KodiakRS posted:

Lol @ you being part of those obese maskless idiots yet acting like you’re above it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Goober Peas posted:

I know where I end up after Denny's

It's the shitter, isn't it?

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
I would love to be the adult man screaming his lungs out making war chant noises at a Hampton Inn pool in BFE on a weeknight during an epidemic.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KodiakRS posted:

One of my favorite genres of posts right now is people posting about how they went to go do a thing and the place was full of idiots who already were doing that thing and apparently don't realize that means that they are also one of those idiots doing that thing.

But I"m gonna be honest, it's usually stuff like going to a popular park that turns out to be super crowded or poo poo like that. It being about going to Denny's is probably the absolute peak of that type of post.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I for one am going to miss buffets. In reality, they were a gross concept that needed to go away.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Headed home following my first work trip since the Rona. I’m in the AEC industry and my major project started construction in earnest this summer, continuing through 2023. I’m in a senior leadership position and it seems likely that I will resume some sort of limited travel for the remainder of the year, with an upswing starting next spring when construction kicks into high gear.

My boss is supportive of us staying home if we are uncomfortable traveling, but my job is made or broken in the field. Honestly, being back on the road after months of relative isolation in my home feels like some semblance of normalcy.

Anyone else navigating a similar situation?

PS traveling still reminds me that I hate everyone

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Anza Borrego posted:

Headed home following my first work trip since the Rona. I’m in the AEC industry and my major project started construction in earnest this summer, continuing through 2023. I’m in a senior leadership position and it seems likely that I will resume some sort of limited travel for the remainder of the year, with an upswing starting next spring when construction kicks into high gear.

My boss is supportive of us staying home if we are uncomfortable traveling, but my job is made or broken in the field. Honestly, being back on the road after months of relative isolation in my home feels like some semblance of normalcy.

Anyone else navigating a similar situation?

PS traveling still reminds me that I hate everyone

You're hosed :) Seriously though two of the people I know personally who have had the 'Rona are in construction/architecture and were traveling to job sites when they got it and that's just in the last 8-ish weeks.

On the positive side, they've both recovered and neither were hospitalized, though they both said it was the worst flu they ever had. Also everyone treated them like they had Ebola and kind of still do even though they've had several multiple negative tests in a row now.

On the flip side I've been to Atlanta and San Francisco both this summer (I'm in Texas) and not even a sniffle so who the gently caress knows. It's weird out there man. Airports are eerie.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I am going to utah, but I do not want to go to utah.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Ixian posted:

You're hosed :) Seriously though two of the people I know personally who have had the 'Rona are in construction/architecture and were traveling to job sites when they got it and that's just in the last 8-ish weeks.

On the positive side, they've both recovered and neither were hospitalized, though they both said it was the worst flu they ever had. Also everyone treated them like they had Ebola and kind of still do even though they've had several multiple negative tests in a row now.

On the flip side I've been to Atlanta and San Francisco both this summer (I'm in Texas) and not even a sniffle so who the gently caress knows. It's weird out there man. Airports are eerie.

Yeah, the job site just had a confirmed case about three weeks ago and the contractor realized that they needed to tighten up operations. A lot of it is going to be field some with some meetings.

The sheer number of people who don’t understand the mask covers your nose is pretty frustrating TBH

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Anza Borrego posted:

Yeah, the job site just had a confirmed case about three weeks ago and the contractor realized that they needed to tighten up operations. A lot of it is going to be field some with some meetings.

The sheer number of people who don’t understand the mask covers your nose is pretty frustrating TBH

A lot of them I've met who do that do understand. They think the masks are bullshit and wear them that way out of some dipshit sense of protest, because many places will confront you flat out over no mask but a surprising number won't over wearing a mask wrong/badly.

Airports are a great place to observe this behavior, because you will get called out for not wearing a mask at all if you are strolling around the terminal like a dickhead but if you wear it half-assed most people just ignore you or figure you're an idiot to avoid. Like I said, it's weird out there right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ixo posted:

I am going to utah, but I do not want to go to utah.

utah is nice!

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

I have been going to utah 8-12 times a year, every year, since 2015. at least I’m in the cache valley this time and not delta.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my grandparents spent some time near delta

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
Has anyone had luck negotiating annual fees for premium travel cards?

I got a United Club Card in February that a $0 annual fee first year promotion. Used it exactly zero times so far as I haven't been to an airport since then.

Wondering if I will be able to get away with paying no annual fee again.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Buckhead posted:

I got a United Club Card in February that a $0 annual fee first year promotion. Used it exactly zero times so far as I haven't been to an airport since then.

I'm about to call AmEx and see what they can do about my gold card AF. I have something like 200k of their points so need to either downgrade or get that waived, I'm using basically zero of it's perks besides 4x earning at restaurants and some shop small reimbursements.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

United just announced that they’re doing away with all change fees for good. lol they’ll bring them back as soon as they can

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Buckhead posted:

You can try for a retention offer when the AF posts, if you search around you might be able to see if there are data points for this card.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm about to cancel my old Presidential Plus card as well since I'm doing less UA flying (and none recently, obviously). I figure Chase is unlikely to do me any favors since I have the Sapphire Reserve as well.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

United just announced that they’re doing away with all change fees for good. lol they’ll bring them back as soon as they can

My guess is that this is the next iteration of dynamic pricing. It will be interesting to see if the fare offered during a no-fee change is the same as buying a brand new ticket; I can see some margin being baked into their pricing engine in these scenarios.

Ol' Kirby ain't gonna leave revenue on the table; he's not wired for it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mackieman posted:

My guess is that this is the next iteration of dynamic pricing. It will be interesting to see if the fare offered during a no-fee change is the same as buying a brand new ticket; I can see some margin being baked into their pricing engine in these scenarios.

Ol' Kirby ain't gonna leave revenue on the table; he's not wired for it.

I think I found the catch. They're no longer going to issue residual ETCs for fare differences when the fare of the flight you change to is lower than what you originally paid. Somebody did the math and UA comes out ahead with far fewer ETCs on the books as liabilities.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

clever and probably in the end more consumer friendly - at least i would prefer it as most of my tickets are expensed and those residual credits are loving annoying to deal with

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Mackieman posted:

I think I found the catch. They're no longer going to issue residual ETCs for fare differences when the fare of the flight you change to is lower than what you originally paid. Somebody did the math and UA comes out ahead with far fewer ETCs on the books as liabilities.

That's been the policy on a "temporary" basis since at least May. They are just milking extra press now by making it permanent (and distracting from all the layoff press).

At the moment, at least, you can still outright cancel a ticket and receive a full refund with no change fee in the form of an ETC for the full amount, which may be preferable depending on the fare difference. I suspect a lot of people aren't going to know this or bother if it's not a huge amount and, cha-ching, UA gets their fees and wipes ETCs off their books. Their CFO deserves some kind of award for this poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mackieman posted:

ETCs?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Travel credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

So, if I switch to a cheaper flight the airline just eats it?