Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

charity rereg posted:

the computer is an i5 3570k that currently isn't using the GPU, you misread all of my posts in a hurry to post this sick own. i was talking about someday moving to a proper server setup in the basement, not an htpc. there are many goons with not-power-efficient home NAS/server setups because they're useful and fun projects. I apologize if this upsets you. I literally posted that if I move to a server setup the next step is a Roku or Shield in the living room

i'm loving this, you're writing fanfiction about some random stranger's TV setup to make yourself feel cooler or superior. i have 1 keyboard, 0 mice, 0 remotes, and 0 swearing, and told you so, but you came in here to what tell me i'm wrong? lying? that i should have bought an NVidia shield and then... still had to set this computer up as a Plex server to serve my family?

like if you want to come out and say that you are too stupid to use this, that's fine, but i guess my wife and i are super geniuses. incredible how in 2020 there are still people coming out of the woodwork to make posts like yours. it's obviously working for me and is not a threat to your incredible setup. Did you forget to add your sig with your PC specs there? I paid $0 for this setup, please, continue to lecture me about how miserable it must be.

Posts in the "The HTPC Thread - Dont buy an HTPC" thread about how cool their old HTPC is.

Gets confused and irrationally angry when goons poke fun at them about it.

Thanks for the free entertainment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ixian posted:

Posts in the "The HTPC Thread - Dont buy an HTPC" thread about how cool their old HTPC is.

Gets confused and irrationally angry when goons poke fun at them about it.

Thanks for the free entertainment!

You must be easily entertained.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Charles posted:

You must be easily entertained.
These days the bar for entertainment has been greatly lowered

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
why should i not buy an htpc? are htpcs dead?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think it comes down to "they use a lot more energy" and that the UI on dedicated devices is easier to use. I have an old computer that I repurposed into an HTPC that runs a theater as well as hosts a Plex server and haven't had any issues or regrets. I guess when it dies I'll look at the shield and a NAS? Though it makes a certain amount of sense to keep outdating my gaming PCs as they age and get a few extra years out of them. Even if they aren't the most energy efficient solution, it keeps all that crap out of a landfill for a few more years.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Because for the cost, electricity usage, time spent tweaking all the bullshit to work together, and potential noise in your living room you’re much better off just buying a drat $200 nvidia shield.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I've had multiple htpcs over the years, but I last used one around 2012 probably. Moving apartments every year I just ended up not setting it up because I'm a moron and never would take notes about how to set the drat things up and I would have to relearn how to do it all. Also yes it was clunky as hell. I used old mac minis though and they were pretty quiet.

I've been using streaming services but they have gotten worse and I want to go back to curating my own media library again.

My use case is I want to have some headless media server in a closet to serve up media to any device in my home or possibly to my laptop/phone outside of my home wifi. Then a torrent (are torrents still the thing people use? Usenet?) box (could be same physical machine as the server, maybe dockerized) running sonarr/whatever to do all the stuff. I would also like to do emulators and roms on a box hooked up to my main tv, doesn't have to be served up by the server. Something neat would be able to do the SteamLink thing I heard about a couple years ago where you stream games to the tv box from your main gaming pc.

My current equipment:
raspberry pi 4 - currently set up with a container running pi-hole dns server (i used this to learn docker)
apple tv4k - currently the box hooked up to my tv. I read somewhere you can sideload (i can get a dev account through work) a bunch of programs onto it so this could possibly work as my frontend for my tv, not sure if it can run emulators and roms.

What I need:
server - Is synology still the NAS people use?
torrent box - could create a container on the rapsberry pi4 to do all that

I'm just musing here, let me know if I'm on the right track or if there are better ways to set something like this up. Tell me about libreElec, kodi, plex, infuse, whatever. point to a website or another thread if that would help

barkbell fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 13, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I re-purposed the mobo/cpu (i7-4790) from my old gaming rig into my home server/plex server/3d printing/workbench PC. I was surprised how little power it actually used.

With 4 mechanical drives and one SSD, I measured 59 watts at idle with a Kill-A-Watt device. Which at my current electricity rates is $4 per month or $48 per year to run 24/7. Not too bad at all! I was expecting 100watts +.

I already had that machine running 24/7 for other server purposes, so putting Plex there only made sense.

Still use a Shield, FireTV, and Rokus for the front end though. HTPC never again; been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 13, 2020

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Anyone use Launchbox on their Shield TV? I’m wondering if you have an external HD with roms in it and import if it saves all the metadata to the internal memory or the hard drive.

N/M, they stopped developing it and pulled the app.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 14, 2020

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Has anyone managed to get Kodi to go to the Shield's home menu using the BACK command? This seems to work in most apps, but I can't find anything besides people saying to use the KeyMapper add-on to change the BACK button to close.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

EC posted:

Has anyone managed to get Kodi to go to the Shield's home menu using the BACK command? This seems to work in most apps, but I can't find anything besides people saying to use the KeyMapper add-on to change the BACK button to close.

I believe what you are looking for is holding the home button.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4677/~/shield-tv%3A-shortcut-buttons-for-shield-remote-%26-controller

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don’t know why I didn’t think about it before, but I just assigned HOME to a button on the Harmony so I don’t have to use the screen anymore.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Do you still have to put everything in the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder to have write access to external drives?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can someone explain a plex issue to me?

I have a Plex server setup for my father-in-law on his laptop. On my server, there's a large collection of tv shows. I don't want to point plex at the entire collection, because the dude doesn't deal well with overstimulation. I do want to add specific tv shows from that collection, though, so I went to the tv show library and added a folder that looks like this

/videos/tv shows/show name/season 01/show name - s01e01.ext

If I point plex to /videos/tv shows/show name, it doesn't scrape correctly. If I point plex to /videos/tv shows/show name/season 01, it scrapes fine.

For the meantime I just added each season folder individually, and it worked out fine. In the future I just don't want to have to do that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Might just be better off making a TV Shows For Dad folder and a library that justs points at that. Yeah you'll duplicate some poo poo but space is cheap.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TheScott2K posted:

Might just be better off making a TV Shows For Dad folder and a library that justs points at that. Yeah you'll duplicate some poo poo but space is cheap.

Why would I do that? Again it works if I point it to the season folder, just not the show folder. I figure it's some weird scraping issue.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EC posted:

Why would I do that? Again it works if I point it to the season folder, just not the show folder. I figure it's some weird scraping issue.

Just seems easier than chasing some scraping gremlin or manually adding things, I guess

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Am I stupid for still leaning on the old K lite codec pack/MPC? Should I just be using VLC as a catch all now? I really hate being bugged about updates for the codec pack

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

codo27 posted:

Am I stupid for still leaning on the old K lite codec pack/MPC? Should I just be using VLC as a catch all now? I really hate being bugged about updates for the codec pack
Windows ships with most codecs that matter and your graphics drivers almost certainly provide the rest.

I personally haven't used a codec pack since Windows 7, I just install whatever the current MPC fork is as my preferred player and then keep a copy of VLC around for any random old poo poo I might still have hanging around, broken files, etc.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

codo27 posted:

Twenty year old grey market DLLs running dubiously sourced media from the internet? What could go wrong?

I don’t think anyone’s actively dropping buffer overflow exploits in s34e15 of friendship-is-linux-iso.torrent but better to avoid the possibility

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I use MPC-HC to play everything on my desktop, at least when I'm not using the Plex app. The codecs it needs are built in and I find the interface preferable to VLC. Codec packs are unnecessary unless you're doing something real odd like trying to watch an MKV via Windows Media Center on an Xbox360.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheScott2K posted:

Codec packs are unnecessary unless you're doing something real odd like trying to watch an MKV via Windows Media Center on an Xbox360.
Hah, that's exactly the reason I last installed any codec packs back in the day. I miss WMC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wolrah posted:

Hah, that's exactly the reason I last installed any codec packs back in the day. I miss WMC.

If Microsoft had stuck with that for the TVTVTV poo poo on Xbone instead of pivoting to OneGuide, focused on OTA instead of that passthru bullshit, and let it DVR shows, they might have had something there.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
In Plex is there no way to download a whole music album at once (the files, not just offline sync)? From what I can tell only the individual songs have download actions.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I need to pull the trigger on a replacement for my Plex server. My budget cap is an absolute $200 limit. I already have a USB HDD for storage. Is an Nvidia Shield still the best bet? While looking on Amazon I'm seeing a bunch of TV boxes that say they have more memory and half the price, but I'm wary of their unpronounceable names. I don't do a lot of remote streaming, just mostly on my LAN, and maybe three simultaneous plays at most.
Also, what else would a Shield (or other device) allow me to do? They seem to push gaming on it a bit, how is the game scene there? Will it have a way for me to set up my VPN and a torrent client, or will I have to use a separate PC (which I don't have) for that? Can I get away with getting the non-pro version of the shield (seems like it would lack the requisite USB slots for storage)?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sounds like you might want to do a non pro for a front end and maybe do a RPI to be your server with radarr/sonarr/VPN/Plex just for ease (I'm almost positive there is a prebuilt optimized image of all 4 of those services)

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Photex posted:

Sounds like you might want to do a non pro for a front end and maybe do a RPI to be your server with radarr/sonarr/VPN/Plex just for ease (I'm almost positive there is a prebuilt optimized image of all 4 of those services)

Well I've already got frontend devices (two fire sticks and a Chromecast, all ancient 1st Gen devices), so I guess I should just skip over the shield and look at some RPI devices. Is there a prebuilt solution that this thread would recommend? I usually don't need transcoding but sometimes I get a file that plays fine on a fire stick and doesn't play on Chromecast, so it would be nice in those situations, but not critical.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I use my Sheild as my server, it's not very fast but I think that's more owing to the old piece of junk Buffalo Nas everything runs off. Really been meaning to replace that to see if it improves at all. IMO tv episodes should begin to play just about instantly from a box sitting 5 feet away, everything hardwired. Even low quality short stuff like Frasier takes (gonna test it now) Holy gently caress 30 seconds or more that's insane. I feel it's usually not that bad

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Organic Lube User posted:

Well I've already got frontend devices (two fire sticks and a Chromecast, all ancient 1st Gen devices)
Honest question: You don't just hate the performance of the anemic Fire Stick enough to want to gave replaced them years ago?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Tapedump posted:

Honest question: You don't just hate the performance of the anemic Fire Stick enough to want to gave replaced them years ago?

I'd love to replace them but it's simply not a priority yet. They still work, so I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. More important is getting a server back up and running.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
With a Plex client, is there a way to start continuous play from a specific episode of a show? If I play the episode, only that one plays. If I choose "Play All" from the show menu, it starts at the first episode.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Well I've already got frontend devices (two fire sticks and a Chromecast, all ancient 1st Gen devices), so I guess I should just skip over the shield and look at some RPI devices. Is there a prebuilt solution that this thread would recommend? I usually don't need transcoding but sometimes I get a file that plays fine on a fire stick and doesn't play on Chromecast, so it would be nice in those situations, but not critical.

Just get a Shield Pro.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Just get a Shield Pro.

With the Shield, can I install a torrent client and VPN?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

With the Shield, can I install a torrent client and VPN?

Yes

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

hooah posted:

With a Plex client, is there a way to start continuous play from a specific episode of a show? If I play the episode, only that one plays. If I choose "Play All" from the show menu, it starts at the first episode.

If you let the episode finish it should pop up a countdown and start the next one after 10 seconds.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Slash posted:

If you let the episode finish it should pop up a countdown and start the next one after 10 seconds.

Hmm, maybe if I choose the episode from the series/season list, rather than whatever you call the screen it opens to initially.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hooah posted:

Hmm, maybe if I choose the episode from the series/season list, rather than whatever you call the screen it opens to initially.

I don't have any issues that I am aware of when starting from the "on deck" tab and it streaming through the remainder of "flagged unwatched" episodes.

I think it will stop if the rest of the episodes are marked as "watched". For that, just navigate to the show and fire it off.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I replaced my giant 12-year old htpc with a shield pro and an external hard drive for Plex. It's the best.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

What's the best way to set up a VPN and then be able to search TPB for torrents and download them on the Shield? I no longer have access to a PC of any sort, and I'm having trouble finding a guide that feels trustworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

What's the best way to set up a VPN and then be able to search TPB for torrents and download them on the Shield? I no longer have access to a PC of any sort, and I'm having trouble finding a guide that feels trustworthy.

Can you install Docker on it? Might be the use case for a VPS or Seedbox! Edit: otherwise a computer might be the ticket. Specifically a Raspberry Pi with transmission and a vpn.