Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fuf posted:

Nah man come on, don't fall for this. These videos were totally different from the from the videos they would have made if they'd just been allowed to stream as normal. None of them said anything good or bad about it at all. They didn't even really talk about mechanics. Instead we got some amateur dramatics vignettes. Which is fine but definitely a very different thing.

Totally different as in more restricted due to the NDA or totally different as in they actually hated it but had to hide it because they were being paid? Because that's the only relevant thing here, if they're paying them produced a false impression of the game then it's shady but otherwise it's fine.

This marketing budget was going to go on something that makes the game look good, might as well be this as long as it's not misleading and I don't see any reason to think that it is.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Anno posted:

Something to listen to at work Friday at least.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1299105614178783234
Thanks for posting this. It sounds more grandiose than CK2, but maybe less "period".

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Guest posted:

Trying to pin down what actually happened with that exploit where he was able to farm money/prestige by constantly divorcing and remarrying. I remember alimony being a thing in CK2. Did they get rid of it or did female rulers never have to pay it?

I think in CK2 pope likes you less each time you ask for things like that?.. Maybe there should be some sort of cool down on divorce. Also maybe you can't marry a person while "divorced me" opinion is on.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in CK2 the marriage event that gave you prestige or gold only happened the first time you got married on a given character. If you divorced and remarried you wouldn't get the event again.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Swedish Horror posted:

Who is everyone planning to start as? Might do good ol' tutorial Ireland to get a feel for the new mechanics and then do a count in the HRE.

Looking at the achievements there's one tied to starting as a certain a female African adventurer, reforming an African faith and spreading it around the continent which looks like a lot of fun. Might go for that at some point early on.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Guest posted:

I'm not talking about the actual preview content Paradox have posted on their channel. What I find shady is sending review copies out to everyone and lifting the NDA a week early for a handpicked selection of amateur content creators who are guaranteed to be positive toward the game. It's been a trend with publishers lately, I believe Sony did something similar with the Last of Us 2. I think CK3 looks really good and I'm not worried that Paradox are trying to hide it or anything. I just find "Paradox is sharing the game with their biggest fans first!" to be a naive and overly generous read of what is essentially a publisher trying to turn games media into a casualised marketing force.

We already gave journalists access months ago?
This thing you're trying to pretend to be a trend is not a trend. Stop straw-manning stuff that ain't happening, if we wanted to be shady about it we wouldn't ask the youtuber involved to mark the content as ads.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Magil Zeal posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in CK2 the marriage event that gave you prestige or gold only happened the first time you got married on a given character. If you divorced and remarried you wouldn't get the event again.

It’s this, I believe. Meneth chimed in on a reddit thread saying that it’s not intended to let you get the choice multiple times and would be fixed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am assuming the numerical scale is a tad different this time

Nope, El Cid has like 26 martial and that's considered godly. 73 diplomacy is nuts.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
The last of the tutorial videos, covering Religion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOo6l6FG1wE

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chalks posted:

Spiff highlighted some of the traits that were like, +2 random stat points per friend and +1 random stat point per child so... I guess if you just stack that poo poo with fertility bonuses you can do some impressive stuff.

Feels like this may need to be nerfed unless those stats give diminishing returns.

The Fecund trait, iirc, gives something ridiculous like +50% fertility, and if you changed your religion to let you have concubines/multiple wives, no adultery, Polyamory, and Carnal Exaltation, you could probably get a ton of kids with pretty much no repercussions. If there's no cap on the number of friends you can have I can see how you might end up with a character like that at age 77. And that character is likely to live long, since there are a bunch of traits there that give health bonuses and he obviously finished the Whole of Body tree.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 28, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
In terms of stat boosts from perks those are the only ones that don't have some kind of restraint on them (the ones based on Fame or Devotion are capped since those stats have max levels, the boost from councillors depends on their stats).

A softcap on friends similar to the one for lovers (keeping too many stresses you out) is probably an answer here but honestly I'm not sure if this really urgently needs nerfing, depending on how strong stat effects even are (and whether their bonuses to stuff like events have broader ranges than they did in CK2). The family tree needs something cool and it's gonna take a lot of work to send it infinite like this.

If nothing else dude's got to die eventually and having that many potential claimants in Byzantium (anywhere really but especially Byzantium) sounds like Fun.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Polyamory seems like it'll do a lot to make the realm more stable since, far as I understand, it means characters no longer accumulate any relationship penalties from cheating. Since cheating is one of the main sources of inter-character animosity, at least in CK2, it should lead to a lot less realm infighting and higher relationship scores in general. I guess your more ambitious and amoral kids might end up literally bathing in the blood of their siblings as they stab their way to primary heir, though.

It's mostly just amusing to me that in CK3 a polyamorous sex-cult is a relatively calm and drama-free choice.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So if Ireland is Insular Christianity instead of normal Catholic and they dont have the Armed Pilgrimages tenet does that mean Ireland doesnt participate in the Crusades?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

So if Ireland is Insular Christianity instead of normal Catholic and they dont have the Armed Pilgrimages tenet does that mean Ireland doesnt participate in the Crusades?

Non-Catholics cannot participate in Catholic crusades as I understand it. Even if they had the Armed Pilgrimage tenet they could only participate in crusades called by their own religious head (if they had one).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Magil Zeal posted:

I'd like to say this is the result of stacked Fertility bonuses (that character no doubt has amazing fertility between Whole of Body + Fecund + possible bonuses from religion/dynasty) and the diplomacy perk Sound Foundations for +1 random skill per child, but it would be weird to get as far as Sound Foundations and not take Patriarch so I dunno. Unless he got Scholar/Whole of Body first and didn't go into Diplomacy lifestyle until later. :iiam: The Family tree has other potentials for crazy stats too, with the Befriend scheme and +2 random skills per friend.

It looks like the mug/horn traits can be leveled up, I wonder if those are the results of holding many feasts/hunts? Since 1 candle is the Quick level 1 congenital trait I'd assume the big stack of candles is Genius.

Bingo

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Horsebanger posted:

those bedroom eyes on his wife

TBF it's an established historical fact that Theodora could get it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

One small touch that might be neat in the future is if your noble is doing different things depending on their focus. Family man is playing with his kid, martial man is training, theology man is praying, etc. I guess it could include traits too, gluttony man is having a feast or whatever.

Probably a lot of work for little benefit but I think it would be cute and would humanize your mans further :)

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
The last Karling is a count in 1066 right? I think that will be my first character.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
My first few games are probably going to be roleplaying random characters until I lose/get bored. Then find a good place to set up a matriarchal religion.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zeron posted:

Then find a good place to set up a matriarchal religion.

Hungary.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

abrosheen posted:

The last Karling is a count in 1066 right? I think that will be my first character.

Yup! You're looking for Count Herbert IV of Vermandois, last living adult Karling in the male line in 1066, though he does have a young son.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kiev is also a good choice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's the advantage to preordering?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hats.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

+10 to Vassal opinion

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You get a clothes DLC called "Garments of the Holy Roman Empire" which includes this stuff.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
One of the videos showed the imperial crown of Hispania and it looked amazing. Really hoping there's loads of variety when it comes to that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The characters really do look so bloody good. Frightening to think they almost went for cartoony graphics instead

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Pretty sure that was the HRE crown. You can basically dress up you and your family in anything you want. Was the character wearing it named "mega chad"?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do think you should have to be of the right rank/culture to wear specific crowns, but I am all for total pretty pretty princess dress up.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Eimi posted:

I do think you should have to be of the right rank/culture to wear specific crowns, but I am all for total pretty pretty princess dress up.

It would be hilarious if you could steal crowns in raids/capturing rulers.

Like sailing down to Rome as the Vikings and just stealing the Pope's clothes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Swedish Horror posted:

jacknicholson.gif

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Swedish Horror posted:

Like sailing down to Rome as the Vikings and just stealing the Pope's clothes.

Careful, it’s a slippery slope from there to Mountain Dew promo digital camouflage breeches

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Imo a #3 Race In Peace, Dale flat brim should be a legitimate piece of DLC headwear because The Intimidator is timeless.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Bets on when the first anime clothing mod shows up on the workshop? I say 2 weeks

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

CommunityEdition posted:

Bets on when the first anime clothing mod shows up on the workshop? I say 2 weeks

I'm dreading the erotic visual novel mods.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Just finished grinding out that sweet Joan of Arc hairdo in the ck2 monarch challenge so it's time to start getting hype for this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Just finished grinding out that sweet Joan of Arc hairdo in the ck2 monarch challenge so it's time to start getting hype for this.

Oh...oh no I just realized the first anime mod is just going to be Fate Go models, hell half of them are probably characters in game. :v:

also is there any way to get a save that has those challenges done so I can get credit if I'm terrible at actually playing for objectives? :ohdear:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I might check out spotify before the game comes out, but I want to say that I really liked the CK2 soundtrack. Pretty much everything from the period / regional pieces, all the way to the metal, was gold.

I'd probably pick most of it up if it was available on a non streaming platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I might check out spotify before the game comes out, but I want to say that I really liked the CK2 soundtrack. Pretty much everything from the period / regional pieces, all the way to the metal, was gold.

I'd probably pick most of it up if it was available on a non streaming platform.

I think up until Holy Fury everything was just an mp3 in the directory. I do love it, it fit so well and has so many epic songs. The CK3 one posted feels more, I want to say ethereal, but since it's supposed to be more context driven than individual song driven it might work better in practice.