Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chambers, Jefferson and Orange counties are gonna be hosed. Port Arthur getting a direct hit from a Cat 4/5...you know how much petrochem infrastructure they got there?

I know our boy marxalot took some extra oil work, I don’t know where, but I hope it's more west than east

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

some texan prayed that oil prices would go up and god listened

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Captain Monkey posted:

Houston Food Bank is an excellent charity, and I volunteer there sometimes.

Just want to second this. And add in general if you are looking for local charities to donate to always look for a local food bank, they are generally on the whole not scammy and a small donation goes a long way at a food bank.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Captain Monkey posted:

Wouldn't this be a strike, not a boycott?

Yeah but this is America and the S word is forbidden.

Sir Tonk posted:

seriously though, how can anyone listen to shapiro for more than a few seconds and take him seriously. he sounds like the most insecure nerd ever

So Shapiro does this thing where he basically says the exact amount of words as a normal person would in a given amount of time, but he speaks them really rapidly and then pauses for like loving 2 seconds for dramatic emphasis/because he needs to think/because it sounds punchy/because talk fast man am clearly smart. Now, the trick is if you take him on youtube and turn the player speed down to 0.75x his voice deepens to that of a normal adult, and also he sounds like a complete loving moron.

Because he is a complete loving moron with a basic knowledge of public speaking.

zoux posted:

Chambers, Jefferson and Orange counties are gonna be hosed. Port Arthur getting a direct hit from a Cat 4/5...you know how much petrochem infrastructure they got there?

I know our boy marxalot took some extra oil work, I don’t know where, but I hope it's more west than east

Houston Ship Channel area. I have the next few days off because shift work, and it looks like we won't get more than a little wind so I won't be called in to cover a shift. Still going to be more OT than I know what to do with later given that one of my company's larger branches out in PA probably just got wiped off the map.

Also need to figure out where I can dump all this water and food I have later.

Anyways I just came here to post some levity for those of us with people out east right now :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 27, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Anyways I just came here to post some levity for those of us with people out east right now :v:

This would be the year of that kind of cursed storm. Just fall into it's veiny maw and surrender to despair.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Disnesquick posted:

I'll send my spare dollars that way then. Thanks for the rec, everyone.

It's good that you're sending them actual cash. HFB gets much better deals on food than buying buying the paper bag filled with cans at the grocery store and dropping it in the red bin. They'll take both, but one of those contributes cash to HEB/Krogers/etc. bottom line.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's good that you're sending them actual cash. HFB gets much better deals on food than buying buying the paper bag filled with cans at the grocery store and dropping it in the red bin. They'll take both, but one of those contributes cash to HEB/Krogers/etc. bottom line.

Oh yeah, I encountered that exact same scam back in England. It's really predatory. When I was doing food-bank work back in London, the local supermarket chains went a step further and tried to get us to advertise their lovely donation programs to cash in on goodwill.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Disnesquick posted:

Oh yeah, I encountered that exact same scam back in England. It's really predatory. When I was doing food-bank work back in London, the local supermarket chains went a step further and tried to get us to advertise their lovely donation programs to cash in on goodwill.

The only valid use for it I'm aware of is that it can help instill the spirit of giving into youngish children. When I was 10 or 11, I was always tasked with picking out one can to drop in the red bin when I went grocery shopping. The intent, of course, being to make me ask what I should pick, who is it for and why are we leaving it there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is all second-hand from my mom but apparently SE Texas dodged a bullet. She had an insane neighbor who stayed behind and he was texting around that everyone's gonna need a rake, but no extreme damage. My folks live in the country north of I-10 around Orange, and she's been checking the local news and they say the same thing - most of the storm's fury was in Louisiana.

https://twitter.com/LolaGomezC/status/1298956005490012161

Water damage is going to depend on your relative elevation of course, but compare that to Harvey

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 27, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelsbarajas/status/1298995848315940866

They're already letting people back into Port Arthur

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1299008467005517824
:hmmyes:

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 27, 2020

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

They're already letting people back into Port Arthur

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1299008467005517824

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

goddamn gotta respect the grift

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I doubt Tebow is full qanon I think this tweet
https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1299167950558179329

Is spot on, people start off at the front thinking it's just a child sex trafficking thing, which we all naturally abhor, and then through watching more videos they get deeper down that rabbit hole. Because he's just talking about human trafficking I think ol Timmy is probably just on step one, I hope he and many other well meaning people currently getting suckered into this balk the second they see the weirder, crazier theories behind it.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I doubt Tebow is full qanon I think this tweet is spot on, people start off at the front thinking it's just a child sex trafficking thing, which we all naturally abhor, and then through watching more videos they get deeper down that rabbit hole. Because he's just talking about human trafficking I think ol Timmy is probably just on step one, I hope he and many other well meaning people currently getting suckered into this balk the second they see the weirder, crazier theories behind it.

I hope everyone's ready to see at least a couple famous college football figures go qanon this fall. Even if Tebow's not one of them yet, the sport skews so conservative that odds are some prominent coach or former coach/player is going to start ranting or tweeting about deep state child sex rings at some point. And I can only imagine the lunatic signs that'd be creeping into the background of College Gameday, if, you know, crowds were still a thing that could happen on ESPN.

I'm a bit amazed that Mississippi State has kept a lid on Mike Leach so far, I don't think he's the type to go full Qanon but with all that's going on, his conservative leanings and propensity for saying goofy poo poo, and his higher-profile SEC gig, I'm just waiting for the moment he pops off with some nonsense and winds up in the news again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no doubt, sports are full of conspiracy dudes. We found that out during the initial George Floyd marches when a bunch of athletes like Steven and DeSean Jackson were like "oh hell yeah we believe in a Jewish conspiracy to manipulate and control the world"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just realized i have been missing mike leach's antics for a long time

he's like if Pop did coke

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I was driving through downtown Houston a few days ago and someone painted over the BE SOMEONE with #SAVEOURCHILDREN

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Oh no doubt, sports are full of conspiracy dudes. We found that out during the initial George Floyd marches when a bunch of athletes like Steven and DeSean Jackson were like "oh hell yeah we believe in a Jewish conspiracy to manipulate and control the world"

oh welcome to my jewish texan childhood

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/wesrap/status/1299397800669720577?s=20

I didn't think the storm was that serious but now...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Internecine conflict!

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Is spot on, people start off at the front thinking it's just a child sex trafficking thing, which we all naturally abhor, and then through watching more videos they get deeper down that rabbit hole. Because he's just talking about human trafficking I think ol Timmy is probably just on step one, I hope he and many other well meaning people currently getting suckered into this balk the second they see the weirder, crazier theories behind it.

Initially I was surprised because I used to work with teens in foster care, and some of them either ended up getting trafficked or were trafficking survivors. I thought suddenly folks cared about it. It's an extremely real problem that is totally invisible to most folks, but one that has nothing to do with any of these conspiracy theories. So I feel for anyone doing actual anti-trafficking advocacy work right now.

What I have never understood is how you follow all the Epstein stuff and then assume Trump of all people has nothing to do with them - he was friends with the guy too.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Good to know all bars can now be restaurants and that COVID knows a difference between a 51% establishment and one that isn't. Granted, I am posting this from a brewery that opened because of this rule.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-26-20-tabc-loosens-covid-bar-requirements/

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

What I have never understood is how you follow all the Epstein stuff and then assume Trump of all people has nothing to do with them - he was friends with the guy too.

I don’t understand either but understanding there is a problem while being extremely wrong about the causes or solutions is definitely typical of the right.

E.g. Problem: People can’t get healthcare
The left: The cause is the capitalist system and the solution is universal healthcare.
Libs: There is no problem.
The right: The cause is foreigners and minorities and the solution is facism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump was undercover you see.

These people think JFK Jr is alive and involved with the movement and they even know who the guy is, the guy says that's who he is and they all believe him.

Qanons didn’t reason themselves into this belief you can't ascribe reason or logic to anything they do. Trump himself could go on a 30 minute rant about how wrong they are and what losers they are and it wouldn’t touch their faith. Remember, the original conspiracy, that Mueller was working hand-in-glove with Trump under a sham inquest to expose and expunge the deep state, was obviously completely and now demonstrably false. But Qanon is stronger than ever.

It's about thinking the people you hate the most are doing the most evil things imaginable and you’re somehow involved in stopping it, every thing else is details.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Qanons have been saying that the entire Deep State and Obama Admin are going to be rounded up and put in jail ever since Trump was elected and they seriously think its just ANY DAY NOW

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

zoux posted:

It's weird to see Trump being viewed as stopping pedophilia. Not only is he a known associate of known child peddler Epstein, Trump has bragged about seeing 15-year-old beauty contestants naked. I don't understand the level of ignorance or self-delusion needed to view Trump as a protector of children.

Edit: Oops, someone already pointed this out.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 28, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

small thread here, nothing surprising

https://twitter.com/sportsguyjose/status/1298856192392015872?s=20

https://twitter.com/sportsguyjose/status/1298857157828530177?s=20

"yes, police officers shouldn't be doing mental health checks, but in this instance they totally shoulda"
it would be nice if he'd gone a step further, but i guess a sheriff saying a deputy acted poorly would be a mortal sin or something

https://twitter.com/sportsguyjose/status/1299080596581425159?s=20

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After having 6 months to make a plan for law graduates to be licensed through apprenticeships (and the Deans of every Texas Law School giving them a plan a month ago), the Texas Supreme Court has announced they don't have enough time to make a plan.
https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1449651/deans_letter_082820.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3rwT9W07vxdek8LHaiBTyZWJvNUEcglrH0Yozo3KuRBgHferHrfZkV4jY

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Qanons have been saying that the entire Deep State and Obama Admin are going to be rounded up and put in jail ever since Trump was elected and they seriously think its just ANY DAY NOW

A modern church of the subgenius

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

wolfs posted:

"yes, police officers shouldn't be doing mental health checks, but in this instance they totally shoulda"
it would be nice if he'd gone a step further, but i guess a sheriff saying a deputy acted poorly would be a mortal sin or something

sheriff salazar has been ok so far. hes been getting flak from the deputies cause hes clearing house of the DUI deputies. these people seem to have lost the plot imo.

i have never had an issue with SAPD or BCSO. Olmos Park PD and Alamo Heights PD? Oh yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

of the san antonio burbs, universal city weirds me out the most

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1299475234735755264?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ayyyy a win, though it's just so transparent how committed the GOP is to making voting more difficult. They really don’t believe non-Republican governance is legitimate.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i say swears online posted:

of the san antonio burbs, universal city weirds me out the most

hmmm why does it weird you out?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my grandparents lived there. pretty trees in the hills but got the feeling the cops are called if the squirrels are too loud

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why is my non-alcoholic brewery struggling

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/hemp-farming-texas-cbd/

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i say swears online posted:

the cops are called if the squirrels are too loud

Less so than Selma or Schertz though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1299475234735755264?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ayyyy a win, though it's just so transparent how committed the GOP is to making voting more difficult. They really don’t believe non-Republican governance is legitimate.

How does it compare to what else they're doing?
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/19/texas-democrats-green-party-november/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh no not the Green Party