Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Double Doink has utterly destroyed Matt Nagy. To think there was that season he looked like a good coach.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1298706487758524417?s=20

This is one of the most hilarious coaching decisions I’ve seen in a long time and I root for a team coached by Adam Gase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Double Doink has utterly destroyed Matt Nagy. To think there was that season he looked like a good coach.

Do we have specific instances for other coaches where we can point to exactly where their brains are stuck?

I can think of lots of things that certain guys won't stop harping about, but individual plays making you do incredibly dumb poo poo the rest of your career seem pretty rare.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Some teams have done that before, having one guy for kickoffs and long FGs and one guy for regular FGs.

It’s dumb now tho with current kickoff rules

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

pmchem posted:

Some teams have done that before, having one guy for kickoffs and long FGs and one guy for regular FGs.

I believe the Vikings used to have Mitch Berger, the punter, attempt really long kicks when Gary Anderson was getting old and didn't have his full leg anymore.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Goddamn Tannehill, just added a lifetime fan.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wait, is this Tampa team the best roster Arians has ever had as a head coach? Somehow that didn't click until now

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Gonz posted:

Aren't there, like, a zillion kickers to choose from in the UDFA pool every year? How hard can it be to find a moderately okay placekicker?

As a Bucs fan, really loving hard. Then again you did say UDFA, we usually trade up and draft them highly.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait, is this Tampa team the best roster Arians has ever had as a head coach? Somehow that didn't click until now

If Brady has another decent year in him their offense looks scary good

But he could be like Peyton Manning 2015

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

If Brady has another decent year in him their offense looks scary good

But he could be like Peyton Manning 2015

Peyton was much more physically hosed up than Brady is, who's biggest injury is just Being Old

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Does anyone remember the video game Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka? My friend owned a sega saturn and had the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4QEEA1hBS8

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Idk, they had a year of legitimate MVP threat carson palmer and then he got hurt. it's hard comparing a what-if team with a what-is-going-to-be.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

soggybagel posted:

Does anyone remember the video game Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka? My friend owned a sega saturn and had the game.

I had never heard of this (didn't have Sega consoles and was a little too young for the FMV dad), but reading about the company that made it led me to this movie made using cobbled-together footage from their games:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z7QoO_UXNQ4

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Over_(2003_film)

It looks great

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

soggybagel posted:

My buddy had this game when we were kids. It was weird as hell. But I just found out they released it on iPhone and Android so I'm for sure buying it. I wish someone would make a QB simulator today

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

pmchem posted:

The Ravens had Dave Zastudil and Matt Stover if I'm remembering right

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Man, this is a remarkable statement to come from a major sports franchise. It's so specific. I'd really be interested to know how it came to be. Practice ended around noon, after which there was a meeting to discuss it all and this was published at 6:30.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Had no idea about that game but i'm going to now try to find a copy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Grittybeard posted:

Do we have specific instances for other coaches where we can point to exactly where their brains are stuck?

I can think of lots of things that certain guys won't stop harping about, but individual plays making you do incredibly dumb poo poo the rest of your career seem pretty rare.

Not a coach, but if you ignore plays with career-ending injuries, I can think of a certain quarterback whose entire career changed with one play.

Gonz posted:

Aren't there, like, a zillion kickers to choose from in the UDFA pool every year? How hard can it be to find a moderately okay placekicker?

As a Titans fan, really loving hard.

We were so desperate we had Double Doink himself kicking for several games.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Lions have been feces diarrhea for my nearly 4 decades on this Earth, but for whatever reason, they’ve been really lucky with kickers. After Jason Hanson retired, there was a minor hiccup, and then they signed Matt Prater and he’s been great to excellent ever since.

Of course, the Lions are always having to settle for field goals, so logic would dictate that they focus on having a steady kicking game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gonz posted:

Ahahaha

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

sharknado slashfic posted:

The Ravens had Dave Zastudil and Matt Stover if I'm remembering right

We tried using some guy named Danny Kight in 2001 for long kickoffs. He wasn't around long though and didn't do very well. Then later on we used Wade Richey for the long kickoffs and long FGs. Zastudil might have kicked once or twice but I don't remember him being a consistent option there.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Kawalimus posted:

We tried Zastudil

Sounds like an anti anxiety med

I would like the patriots to find the next guy who will lead the league in accuracy for 10 seasons or whatever

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
All of the poo poo the Bears do with their kickers seems like the most self fufilling prophesy in sports.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

He's right.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

We tried using some guy named Danny Kight in 2001 for long kickoffs. He wasn't around long though and didn't do very well. Then later on we used Wade Richey for the long kickoffs and long FGs. Zastudil might have kicked once or twice but I don't remember him being a consistent option there.

I might have been thinking of Richey actually

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Phobeste posted:

I would like the patriots to find the next guy who will lead the league in accuracy for 10 seasons or whatever

It will still be Justin Tucker for the next 10 years :smugbird:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1299361037909659655

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1299360491874267136

Antonio ain’t gonna play another down.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Antonio clown plays no down in clown town

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gonz posted:

You're completely right but NFL teams and the people they employ are astoundingly bad at their jobs. Outrageously bad.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
ask the ravens if they care about justice if it means they are going to stop bringing ray lewis around

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Maybe Nagy is trying a big brain play here and keeping two kickers in case one gets corona and can't play

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Box Logan Paul you coward

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

Maybe Nagy is trying a big brain play here and keeping two kickers in case one gets corona and can't play

My theory is that he watched The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon and thought "well that team had two kickers, one for kickoffs, and one for field goals and they won big" and decided to go with that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To be fair to Nagy, the kicker is going to be the team's best offensive weapon regardless of how bad they are.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The bears traded up a slot to grab trubisky and traded for foles. Just some Friday fun facts.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Between those two quarterbacks they have an elite dick and set of lips!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mega64 posted:

Between those two quarterbacks they have an elite dick and set of lips!

I don’t know why but the thought of an elite dick as a measurable QB stat is highly hilarious.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

I don’t know why but the thought of an elite dick as a measurable QB stat is highly hilarious.

Phil rivers finally has a case for the hof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

really queer Christmas posted:

Phil rivers finally has a case for the hof

How many kids does Rivers have? That’s how many times he’s had sex.