Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Essentially yes but it's unclear who is being scammed. Is it Softbank? Their creditors? Or whoever is dumb enough to underwrite their [imaginary] ipo? Why not all three!
WeWork and Softbank in particular and "tech companies" that don't really do any tech are Trashfuture's biggest fascination, they've done a number of deep dives into their various funding and what exactly the scam is. In most cases, it's the insanely wealthy being literally unable to spend their money on anything real and just propping up useless companies as a way of kind of laundering their credibility and keeping that money in apparently productive motion. Softbank is laundering Saudi money specifically, and their ventures typically combine with some variant on union busting, undermining labour regulations or, in this case, being an unregulated landlord. It's a progression on the same scam as buying up half of London in the form of unoccupied luxury flats.

Darth Walrus posted:

Best take I've seen yet on the government's new initiative:

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1299248051656237056?s=21
A lot of office based companies don't even want their employees back at work, as far as I can tell. It's actually great for them! They can reduce their offices or negotiate lower rent, they can lay off a bunch of support staff like cleaners and security, their employees are bearing electricity costs and sometimes equipment costs themselves, a lot of people are actually working longer hours and being more productive in those hours, you can monitor practically all of your workers' communications, they're more isolated and less likely to organise, and at the same time people are actually happier with their jobs! This is the kind of thing that unions would have rioted over if bosses had tried to push it themselves and unions still had any actual power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sebzilla posted:

External. And yeah the screen could probably be replaced relatively easily I suppose. I've already got a new one though so I don't need to make it work for my own purposes, just want to get the best value back out of it.

It's about 6-7 years old I think.

may I suggest grifting for donations under the guise of charitable support?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Wait. Are you sure this is the case in general?

Pretty sure but it's hard to find reliable numbers. Inflation has averaged 2.4% a year since 2013, I don't think London rents have increased that much in any year in that span. Since 2017 especially London rents have been almost flat.

Still expensive as balls mind you, and it's not like wages have kept up with inflation either.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

big scary monsters posted:

people are actually happier with their jobs! This is the kind of thing that unions would have rioted over if bosses had tried to push it themselves and unions still had any actual power.

Hmmm.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The company that I work for is reopening very cautiously, 'cos we've been doing fine with everyone working from home and they no longer trust the government to take any sort of consistent line on the issue. We'll be at max 30% capacity in the office into 2021.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UK journalism .txt

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/1299261144817901569/photo/1

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You don’t even need to scroll to the picture to know he’s white with a statement like that. (The killer not the victims)

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 28, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the cowards deleted this tweet but its the opening paragraph of the article

what is wrong with these peoples brains

https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1299309212246343681?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
For those that don't understand, imagine if you were poor and like your house is total poo poo, I bet you'd love the chance to escape that by going to work.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

the cowards deleted this tweet but its the opening paragraph of the article

what is wrong with these peoples brains

https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1299309212246343681?s=20

they're basically right but like everything its just that the already horrible aspects of our dying society are being made worse by covid

and since the entire political system's purpose is to prevent positive change the only solution is to send people back to their previous misery only this time with a plague

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Communist Thoughts posted:

they're basically right but like everything its just that the already horrible aspects of our dying society are being made worse by covid

and since the entire political system's purpose is to prevent positive change the only solution is to send people back to their previous misery only this time with a plague

Now abuse victims can be miserable both in and outside the house.

No, we won't provide reliable support for victims to have somewhere else to live, or for the removal of their abusers from their homes.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

For those that don't understand, imagine if you were poor and like your house is total poo poo, I bet you'd love the chance to escape that by going to work.

It's almost as if it should come down to employee choice instead of government/business mandate.

Personally I'll be working from home for as long as possible, to the point of considering changing job to retain work from home.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I suppose one or both parties dying of COVID would effectively solve the domestic abuse issue.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they're so loving poo poo. do they even know what the name of their own party is

https://twitter.com/LucyMPowell/status/1299299332005466113?s=20

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jose posted:

they're so loving poo poo. do they even know what the name of their own party is

https://twitter.com/LucyMPowell/status/1299299332005466113?s=20
coaxing workers back into the hated office with government-supplied nibbles and treats

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CGI Stardust posted:

coaxing workers back into the hated office with government-supplied nibbles and treats

The National Donuts Scheme will reimburse employers for 80% of spend made against donuts, up to 1 donut per day per 5 employees, on Mondays and Sundays only. This will be paid for by cutting fire services and selling Richmond Park.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
today I saw a motorcycle hearse which was a thing I didn't know existed until now

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

sebzilla posted:

Hey computer people.

I've got an old Alienware laptop that has a hosed screen and charger. Am I better off selling it as is, or stripping it down and selling individual components? NB: my technical ability to do the second option is theoretical at best.

Get a quote for the screen and research prices of working laptops on eBay.

edit: if eBay price minus screen cost leaves you a healthy few quid, flog it on eBay, fixed or otherwise.
For reference, I dropped my ideapad 320S and it was £90 to replace the screen.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 28, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

today I saw a motorcycle hearse which was a thing I didn't know existed until now

If you drive it fast enough any vehicle can be a hearse, briefly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Mostly by the time it would count as a hearse it would have ceased to count as a vehicle, surely?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jk-rowling-award-return-trans-kennedy-human-rights-a9693626.html

Rowling to return award.
Sorry can't copy article as on phone at airport.

Awarding body disappointed with her Terfiness.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jk-rowling-award-return-trans-kennedy-human-rights-a9693626.html

Rowling to return award.

jk: go ahead, it only makes my opinions worse

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

stev posted:

Who had "letting the youngs work from home is basically as bad as the holocaust"?

"I'm not suggesting we're living through comparable times, but human nature is repeating itself."

What faux intellectual garbage man, god I hate this country.
WHAT DOES HUMAN NATURE HAVE TO DO WITH THIS.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thrashingteeth posted:

"I'm not suggesting we're living through comparable times, but human nature is repeating itself."

It's Richard Littlecock (thank you Viz as this will forever be his name to me) and the Daily Mail.
I would be surprised when he doesn't make a WW2 reference.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

thrashingteeth posted:

It's ok, we exported him to that bastion of intellectual thought and expression that is Florida

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What happens if human nature stops repeating? Do humans just dissolve?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

What happens if human nature stops repeating? Do humans just dissolve?

Either that or transhumanism, I guess? I'm alright with either tbh.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JK Rowling mishears and immediately begins drafting an open letter.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I went to find more articles he had written on the Daily mail, realised that the Mail Online has a section for women called "Femail" and promptly shut it again.

Too much cursed content for a Friday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Rowling to return award.

I read her full letter so you don't have to.

Summary:

Lots of people wrote me letters and some of them were even trans.

Trans panic. Some people at women's places also have suspect views.

I gave money to gay people charities, so I can't be transphobic. But I'll strongly imply that trans people and women are separate categories (again).

I've got lots of sympathy for the sick trans and hope they find a cure.

Here's a website that sprung up yesterday with a huge donate button and a bunch of doctors whose names only seem to pop up on right wing sites.

They're upset that as soon as you go to a GP now and say you like different toys they put you on irreversible steroids and give you surgery.

Detransitioners.

RFKHR has stated that there is no conflict between the current radical trans rights movement and the rights of women. Thousands of terves disagree with this and told me so.

I'm giving my award back so I can keep being poo poo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The virus is the evil hitler nazis and furthermore weeeeeeee'LlllLLl MeeeEEeeEEEEeeeeeEEEet aaaaaaaAAAgaaaAAaaaAAaaaAAAaaIiiIiiiiIiiiin dooooOooooon't knooooOooooOOOoooOooOow wheeeeeeeEeEEEEeeeeEEEeErreeEeeeEEeE dooooooOOoon't knoOoOoOooOoooOow wheeEEEEEeeeEEEEeEeeeeeEEEEeEEEEEEEen dooo dooo oododoo do dodoo doooo doodododo odod odooooooooooooo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I've always been impressed by the mails shameless transition between 'are values are under attack' in the editorials and 'look which reality star put weight on this week' on the website

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

the sex ghost posted:

I've always been impressed by the mails shameless transition between 'are values are under attack' in the editorials and 'look which reality star put weight on this week' on the website

Look how they announced that Sarah Harding off of Girls Aloud had cancer

https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/1298638382650851329

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

The virus is the evil hitler nazis and furthermore weeeeeeee'LlllLLl MeeeEEeeEEEEeeeeeEEEet aaaaaaaAAAgaaaAAaaaAAaaaAAAaaIiiIiiiiIiiiin dooooOooooon't knooooOooooOOOoooOooOow wheeeeeeeEeEEEEeeeeEEEeErreeEeeeEEeE dooooooOOoon't knoOoOoOooOoooOow wheeEEEEEeeeEEEEeEeeeeeEEEEeEEEEEEEen dooo dooo oododoo do dodoo doooo doodododo odod odooooooooooooo
Daily Mail version:
First they dressed up in very smart uniforms and we said that's what Britain needs too, a bit of iron discipline.
Then they came for the Communists, and we said good, they're a menace and shouldn't be on the streets.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and we said good, they're too powerful and disrupt industry.
Then they came for the Jews, and we said that thousands of stateless Jews were pouring into this country, and someone should do something about that too.
Then a war broke out and the government said that we couldn't keep openly supporting Hitler, which was very unfair.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Daily Mail version:
First they dressed up in very smart uniforms and we said that's what Britain needs too, a bit of iron discipline.
Then they came for the Communists, and we said good, they're a menace and shouldn't be on the streets.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and we said good, they're too powerful and disrupt industry.
Then they came for the Jews, and we said that thousands of stateless Jews were pouring into this country, and someone should do something about that too.
Then a war broke out and the government said that we couldn't keep openly supporting Hitler, which was very unfair.

:golfclap:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Did I see this here yet?

https://twitter.com/rachmackay/status/1298902066967052289?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Chris Grayling has resigned from the intelligence and security committee :yeshaha:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Any particular reason?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'd say humiliation but well, Grayling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That and also he's a poo poo oval office.