Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

HelixFox posted:

For what it's worth, IO explicitly said the deal with Epic is what helped them self-publish this one:

Source: https://www.essentiallysports.com/hitman-3-to-be-an-epic-games-store-exclusive-for-a-year-esports-news/

That's interesting - are PC sales that much of a deal for Hitman? I always assumed that console editions dwarfed them for pretty much any major title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HelixFox posted:

For what it's worth, IO explicitly said the deal with Epic is what helped them self-publish this one:

Source: https://www.essentiallysports.com/hitman-3-to-be-an-epic-games-store-exclusive-for-a-year-esports-news/

Yes, they certainly have said that. If I was taking a very lucrative deal with a pretty unpopular company I'd want to paint it in a good light too.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm intrigued as to what the ideal way to do the Sapienza escalation with the gardener is. I did it, but it was a joyous clusterfuck.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm intrigued as to what the ideal way to do the Sapienza escalation with the gardener is. I did it, but it was a joyous clusterfuck.

Is that the one with the really tight time limit between kills that ends with mines all over the place? I recorded my run and yeah, that's about what it adds up to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7WPKgybJvY

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dabir posted:

Is that the one with the really tight time limit between kills that ends with mines all over the place? I recorded my run and yeah, that's about what it adds up to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7WPKgybJvY

Awesome. That was so tight in the middle there!

Can using a more convenient escape potentially gently caress things up as well?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

after that many runs I didn't want to take the loving chance

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dabir posted:

after that many runs I didn't want to take the loving chance

Haha, fair enough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Why don't y'all rage against Origin or uPlay I don't get it...

For the record I have never successfully bought a single thing on uPlay. It crashed every time.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think I ended up sniping them all from the roof of the Observatory.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I always find the electrophone handy for the 'countdown timer between kills' escalations. If you get it to one of your targets at the start then you'll always have a 'oh poo poo' button you can press to effectively extend the timer. Providing you do it with 5 seconds to spare or so.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
i will never use the "cheater's telephone"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dabir posted:

Yes, they certainly have said that. If I was taking a very lucrative deal with a pretty unpopular company I'd want to paint it in a good light too.

lmao

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My thanks to all the goons who helped me knock out those Ghost mode kills- I am free and clear under the wire! Now to wait a year and have the plot and content of H3 pretty thoroughly ruined for me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dabir posted:

"My business was bad, so I had to get a loan from the bank" is not painting that transaction in a good light. It's just a statement of fact. You have got some pretty heavy baggage about this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All I'm saying is that just because someone says something, that doesn't mean it's the full truth, or even partly the truth. IOI not slagging off the people who just gave them a lot of money to do something that'll upset some of their customers doesn't mean anything.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

HelixFox posted:

i will never use the "cheater's telephone"

Don't loadout-shame me.

I mean, absolutely do, it's very overpowered. I think a good substitute for it would be one that didn't flag as an accident kill.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dabir posted:

All I'm saying is that just because someone says something, that doesn't mean it's the full truth, or even partly the truth. IOI not slagging off the people who just gave them a lot of money to do something that'll upset some of their customers doesn't mean anything.
It's genuinely entertaining to see people trying to wise old sage the concept of money being exchanged for goods and services. If a game developer got paid for an exclusivity deal, it's not exactly outlandish to believe them when they say "we spent that money on game development" :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wonder if the phone would be a 'better' tool if it was a suspicious item. As in once placed on the ground it behaves as it does now, but having it equiped and/or placing it on the ground raises suspicion? Doesn't make a lick of sense but it would make the risk/reward balance a bit less skewed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dabir posted:

Of course just because someone says something doesn't mean its the truth :v: but what does that actually mean in this scenario?

Nobody has yet to suggest a single thing Epic has done that's actually bad. Someone previously laughed at me for suggesting that they "financed" the game, but you're admitting here that Epic did give lots of money to IOI, money they needed. So... they are financing the game. You're saying that isn't the full truth, but what could the full truth even be that would be bad? What is even the possibility? Not only has nothing been proven, nothing has even been suggested! I have yet to get an explanation for why this is a bad thing.

So the whole high-road argument that Epic is somehow doing something dastardly seems to fall apart. Isn't it a good thing that IOI can get some of that cash Epic is burning to compete with Valve? Its not like Valve is way better.

It all seems to be circular logic that Epic is bad because Epic is bad and games who go to Epic are bad because gamers don't like Epic. Why don't gamers like Epic? Because its bad!
If I'm missing something please do explain, I just haven't heard anything yet other than people calling me names and acting like OF COURSE Epic is bad, it doesn't need to be explained why! Lol and then I get called an Epic fanboy.

Pilchenstein posted:

It's genuinely entertaining to see people trying to wise old sage the concept of money being exchanged for goods and services. If a game developer got paid for an exclusivity deal, it's not exactly outlandish to believe them when they say "we spent that money on game development" :v:

The idea that people ITT know IOI's business better than IOI just blows my mind. They're the ones who make these games. They know better than all of us. They're good games :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 28, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't see any reason not to trust IOI's statements here unless you already want to paint EGS in a worse light.

It's not a good storefront, but I'm still gonna buy the game because I enjoy Hitman.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I decided to check if there's any migration working between the EGS and Steam versions of the first Hitman. There is not.

I have the Epic and Steam versions linked to my IOI account and own Patient Zero on Steam, but it does not get activated in the EGS version.

It probably won't happen until Hitman 3, and possibly only for that game.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

double nine posted:

I wonder if the phone would be a 'better' tool if it was a suspicious item. As in once placed on the ground it behaves as it does now, but having it equiped and/or placing it on the ground raises suspicion? Doesn't make a lick of sense but it would make the risk/reward balance a bit less skewed.
The electric phone is completely fine, just don't use it if it is an affront to your precious e-honour lol

Like, the entire point of the game is to repeat the levels hundreds of times in as many wacky ways as you can think of, it's mystifying why everyone is so completely hung up on a single item just because it lets speedrunners simplify a single target per run :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Anyone want to run through the sniper missions in multi just once each? I don't care about the progression tracks but it'll bother me if I wind up with three unattainable achievements.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm legit amazed that no one has brought up the Epic stealing your steam info thing yet. Is it like the guy in Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet says and people just forget about big companies loving up after a few weeks? This was such a big thing like a year ago and now it's just gone. To clarify, I kind of didn't pay attention because I disliked Epic already (and Origin and Valve and a bunch of other platforms) for other reasons, it was just another reason for me to not use Epic but this whole conversation just ignoring it is weird to me. Was it resolved and I missed it?

Zaphod42 posted:

Why don't y'all rage against Origin or uPlay I don't get it...
Because they're not as big and nobody cares and this is the Hitman thread and they haven't bought out Hitman. How is this even a question? I can also name several games Epic has bought the exclusive from a few months before release but literally none Origin or uPlay has but that's still irrelevant because we're badmouthing Epic in this case because they bought out Hitman and this is the Hitman thread. If you name a AAA game Origin has done this to I can badmouth them too, it's cool.

Your assumption that people are fanboying over steam just because we dislike epic is also a weird leap imo.

GOG 4 lyfe

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

Your assumption that people are fanboying over steam just because we dislike epic is also a weird leap imo.

I did not actually say that, or anything like that, but someone accused me of fanboying over EGS :ironicat:

What I did was ask for someone to explain any good reason to have such hate for them and nobody has.

I haven't heard about that steam info thing so I'll look into that. You're the first person who has even tried to explain your feelings at all.

Man with Hat posted:

Because they're not as big and nobody cares and this is the Hitman thread and they haven't bought out Hitman.

I'm pretty sure EA is bigger than Epic, no? Either way its not like they're indies.

The point was that other publishers buy exclusives but people generally accept that, but for some reason EGS gets this major hate and I haven't seen anything other than that one kickstarter project (which even offered refunds) that would explain why people would be so against it. They act like its destroying the video game industry but if anything Valve's monopoly is just as dangerous if not far far worse.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Red Oktober posted:

Don't loadout-shame me.

I mean, absolutely do, it's very overpowered. I think a good substitute for it would be one that didn't flag as an accident kill.
That's called the Exploding Phone. Or a duck. Or a Breaching Charge in a briefcase.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oh gooood let’s talk about 47’s uhhhmazing director wig,is that the first time he’s used one in any game?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Revenge of the gardener escalations! The Bangkok one seems real bad.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh gooood let’s talk about 47’s uhhhmazing director wig,is that the first time he’s used one in any game?

I legit laughed out loud when I first saw it. I just kind of assumed that the director was Japanese and was wondering how exactly this would work. Then he put the wig on and, er, I guess he might pass for Japanese at a distance? (I don't know if the director actually is Japanese, everyone in Hitman 2016 has a British or American accent).

Edit: apart from 47, lol.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 29, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ITT goons learn pr

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The director's implied to be a real former baseball star.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

I'm legit amazed that no one has brought up the Epic stealing your steam info thing yet. Is it like the guy in Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet says and people just forget about big companies loving up after a few weeks? This was such a big thing like a year ago and now it's just gone. To clarify, I kind of didn't pay attention because I disliked Epic already (and Origin and Valve and a bunch of other platforms) for other reasons, it was just another reason for me to not use Epic but this whole conversation just ignoring it is weird to me. Was it resolved and I missed it?

They were scraping info that Valve already makes available through Steam's API, in a way that gets around the API. It wasn't a big crime so much as just a fantastically petty move.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

ITT goons learn pr

Eveyrbody ITT knows what PR is but the details of what and why matter. Sometimes gamers can be unreasonable.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

Very good post on this here.

In short: The person who originally posted that incendiary thread on the Phoenix Point subreddit didn't really know what they were doing. As was proven repeatedly in the comments in said thread.

There's also a link in there to a Facepunch post that I recall being a good read... but since Garry deleted Facepunch that link is now dead, I can't find it again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Very good post on this here.

In short: The person who originally posted that incendiary thread on the Phoenix Point subreddit didn't really know what they were doing. As was proven repeatedly in the comments in said thread.

There's also a link in there to a Facepunch post that I recall being a good read... but since Garry deleted Facepunch that link is now dead, I can't find it again.

That's a great article.

And FWIW, Blizzard's "Warden" program does all that and much more, and has been doing so for years. And lots of anti-cheat programs end up basically accessing the same.

quote:

Software is extremely complicated. In some cases, that complication means it's easy to misjudge things that you don't quite understand. In others, it means you can't judge things without putting in a ton of effort.

Sage words.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-on-steam-friend-importing-the-user-can-do-with-their-data-as-they-please/

EGS was importing your local Steam files without asking permission and Tim Sweeney was confirming on twitter that it does but pinky promised that it was a "bug" that will be fixed.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-on-steam-friend-importing-the-user-can-do-with-their-data-as-they-please/

EGS was importing your local Steam files without asking permission and Tim Sweeney was confirming on twitter that it does but pinky promised that it was a "bug" that will be fixed.
I'm not happy about the inconvenience of the third game in the series being exclusive to the poo poo storefront that doesn't manage to achieve even the bare minimum of effort that valve put in and I think epic are lovely even by the astonishingly low standards of the industry at large and capitalism in general but holy gently caress you make it hard not to defend them when you're this loving disingenuous lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I missed it earlier but per the IoI site, the deluxe version of the game includes the preorder stuff. Good!

double nine posted:

It'd be appropriately balanced if it were a knockout taser and not a kill; I suspect that was the original plan.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Discendo Vox posted:

It'd be appropriately balanced if it were a knockout taser and not a kill; I suspect that was the original plan.
If by "appropriately balanced" you mean "utterly pointless", sure :v:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Revenge of the gardener escalations! The Bangkok one seems real bad.

I legit laughed out loud when I first saw it. I just kind of assumed that the director was Japanese and was wondering how exactly this would work. Then he put the wig on and, er, I guess he might pass for Japanese at a distance? (I don't know if the director actually is Japanese, everyone in Hitman 2016 has a British or American accent).

Edit: apart from 47, lol.

I didn’t really look at his face but yeah he deffo had an middle class southern english accent.

I’ve read about telling soders who you are before you kill him and i REALLY want to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just get into the hospital in your suit and run up to the foot of his bed, the prompt appears. Doing it silent assassin would be a huge pain, probably need you to take out most of the hospital.