Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Boxed lunches try to offer too wide a variety of stuff so you wind up with no decent amount of any of it. Like wow, 1/8 cup of macaroni salad? An Oreo? Two whole carrot sticks?! A lone 100mL juice box, fuckin sign my rear end up I guess, daddy wants to be hungry again by the time the bus leaves the parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i havent had a boxed lunch since i got back in, but when i was in around 2010, boxed lunches were made by the mess and just included a sandwich/wrap some veggies and a prepackaged snack

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My Spirit Otter posted:

i havent had a boxed lunch since i got back in, but when i was in around 2010, boxed lunches were made by the mess and just included a sandwich/wrap some veggies and a prepackaged snack

I think I remember seeing a switch around then to lunches prepared by local contractors. Which was a real shame, because food that comes out of a proper CF mess is usually pretty great as opposed to a log of salami on a bun excreted by a processing plant in Bathurst.

OIFY
Jun 1, 2020

im crying. we are gonna be poor. oh fuck oh fuck

My Spirit Otter posted:

Boxed lunches of today are definitely not made by the mess. If I had to guess I believe satan is involved.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

OIFY posted:

Boxed lunches of today are definitely not made by the mess. If I had to guess I believe satan is involved.

no, not satan, worse. the lowest bidder.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i think the correct phrasing is military grade

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

OIFY posted:

Boxed lunches of today are definitely not made by the mess.

Aww man. That's why people don't like them anymore. :(

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing

OIFY posted:

Some are, that’s when I get fish in the veg lunch and an angry email from the mess WO saying that’s impossible because of the directives they just emailed me.

A bunch aren’t, and that’s when the listed content isn’t the problem. The bonus mycotoxins, however, have shown up with enough regularity that I pack a lunch as a prophylactic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m going to regret this, but does the CF use meal replacement bars, and if so what are they called?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

I’m going to regret this, but does the CF use meal replacement bars, and if so what are they called?

I remember getting Nutrigrain bars in the meal boxes. And those Nature Valley bars.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

There's no equivalent of HOOAH bars if that's what you're afraid of.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I think I've had Soldier Fuel bars before, or some kind of brand similar to that. They were super gross but I guess were packed with calories and protein?

Jcam fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 26, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jcam posted:

I think I've had Soldier Fuel bars before, or some kind of brand similar to that. They were super gross but I guess were packed with calories and protein?

Soldier Fuel bars can be molded and shaped to resemble a turd, even before they have been eaten. This often causes much confusion and consternation when it is left behind in a public place like a mess tent.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Fearless posted:

Soldier Fuel bars can be molded and shaped to resemble a turd, even before they have been eaten. This often causes much confusion and consternation when it is left behind in a public place like a mess tent.

This gave me a flashback to one time wandering around under the influence of alcohol with friends one night. We came upon an empty mess tent that had a room temperature but untouched chocolate cake in a pan so we were all like hell yeah and took that motherfucker with us and ate it and it was so good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You son of a bitch, I knew it!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 7, 2023

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

What'd you eat on your ftx?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 7, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What the gently caress kinda soft rear end FTX was that? Warm food?

BACK IN MY DAY Y'HAD TO STICK THE IMP BAG BETWEEN YOUR ASSCHEEKS FOR WARMTH

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

If at some point you weren't sitting on a rock gagging down cold omelette with mushroom sauce, were even really training? Truly I say, what was basic for if not to prepare you for the hurricane of cock that is your future?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

truly you have not experienced misery until you've sat on a frozen snowbank having shaved with ice water and eating a half frozen omelette in salsa because the QM forgot to pack more fuel for the coleman stoves.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 7, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lassitude posted:

If at some point you weren't sitting on a rock gagging down cold omelette with mushroom sauce, were even really training? Truly I say, what was basic for if not to prepare you for the hurricane of cock that is your future?

i think they got rid of that one, because when my course was discussing lovely rats, nobody knew the horrors of omelette with mushroom sauce.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cabbage Rolls. Dog shits in a diarrhea sauce. The smell alone was worse than the sum of its parts.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I haven't had an IMP since 2012, which is far enough in history that I now enjoy watching Steve1989MREInfo on youtube for the nostalgia feeling.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

stevobob posted:

I haven't had an IMP since 2012, which is far enough in history that I now enjoy watching Steve1989MREInfo on youtube for the nostalgia feeling.

Nice!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Ah, I see you've got this out onto a tray!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

One time, the mess didn't put any cheese in my quesadilla. So I empathize with you guys. Military food can be unpleasant, for sure.

#RCAFstrong #AdAstra

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

lmao yea, my """""field week"""""" on this course is goint to trenton and staying in the yukon.

however, it may not even happen so gently caress

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fuckin welfare check on the thread, boys

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ministerial requests are up 4000% for Veteran Service Cards according to my friend.

Because they're just pumping out cards at half-staff and no real production capability.

Everyone is simultaneous an edge case and a common request.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Fuckin welfare check on the thread, boys

Keepin' on.

E: wait, no! Living the dream! Nightmares are dreams too!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ministerial requests are up 4000% for Veteran Service Cards according to my friend.

Because they're just pumping out cards at half-staff and no real production capability.

Everyone is simultaneous an edge case and a common request.

That reminds me, I still need to apply for mine. I mean it's not like it'll get us a free meal at applebees or anything to thx u 4 ur service

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MA-Horus posted:

That reminds me, I still need to apply for mine. I mean it's not like it'll get us a free meal at applebees or anything to thx u 4 ur service

Free baggage on Air Canada

Just in time for vacation season!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

I've never really felt comfortable with or taken advantage of most of that "thanks for your service" / discount type stuff, but being posted to the US and getting a Common Access Card and getting to take advantage of the whole 'Active Duty boards airplanes first' is a perk I will sorely miss coming back to Canada. Not that I will get to do it again, between no flights and all international military students here losing the CAC card shortly.

Also that 15% off at MEC was alright, given that everything there is in units of 50 dollars. Anyone know if they still doing that after the purchase?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Also that 15% off at MEC was alright, given that everything there is in units of 50 dollars. Anyone know if they still doing that after the purchase?

MOTHERFUCK THAT'S A THING?

GODDAMN I COULD HAVE SAVED HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, gently caress ME! I spend way too much money at MEC

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And now there's like a year-long wait for new applicants for cards

maybe

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cabela's also has a 5% discount which stacks with sales, so you can get some decent prices on black friday sales or whatever.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I mean, MEC is now in the hands of a private equity firm so gently caress 'em

The discount on Oakley's is still nice though, gives me a cut off my overpriced frames