Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

It's not awful, but I do think it suffers from a case of too many stars and perhaps also too many stripes. It's like they didn't know when to stop. Now take Liberia ??'s flag, it's like the American flag after a decent (flag) editor's had their say, which makes it superior in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, the Texas and Chile flags are superior, too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It's a little odd that the Army Corps of Engineers has a flag, but it's largely just a flag version of their logo except that they've never built anything like that in their history.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Safety Biscuits posted:

"Clean and jerk off".

KozmoNaut posted:

"Public jerking zone"

I didn't even think of how masturbatory it looks

hell yeah

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a little odd that the Army Corps of Engineers has a flag, but it's largely just a flag version of their logo except that they've never built anything like that in their history.

Yes they did! Sure, it was after they chose the logo, and it's usually like a pumping station or something, but they fuckin' love to build that castle whenever they can.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's apparently based on Pershing Barracks at west point, from when the original version was a pin given to people from there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The U.S. flag is the flag of the East India Company, but, like, changed a little so the teacher wouldn’t notice.

Imagine if a new nation ripped off the BP logo.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 29, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the EIC flag is just the Majapahit standard with a Union Flag slapped in the corner.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. flag is the flag of the East India Company, but, like, changed a little so the teacher wouldn’t notice.

Imagine if a new nation ripped odd the BP logo.

I genuinely didn't know this, so I looked the flag up on wikipedia, and this is really great:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_East_India_Company posted:

The flag of the East India Company is considered to have inspired the 1775 Grand Union Flag, the first flag of the United States, as the two flags were of the same design.[3] This connection is attributed to numerous sources. Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania once gave a speech endorsing the adoption of the Company's flag by the United States as their national flag. He said to George Washington of Virginia, "While the field of your flag must be new in the details of its design, it need not be entirely new in its elements. There is already in use a flag, I refer to the flag of the East India Company."[9] This was a way of symbolising American loyalty to the Crown as well as the United States' aspirations to be self-governing, as was the East India Company. Some colonists also felt that the Company could be a powerful ally in the American War of Independence, as they shared similar aims and grievances against the British government tax policies. Colonists therefore flew the Company's flag, to endorse the Company.[10]

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The United States of America: literally founded on the principle of corporate tax dodging.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

With all this stars and stripes chat I may as well share something I made a while ago.

This is hacked together, nothing is properly centered or aligned

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

The United States of America: literally founded on the principle of corporate tax dodging.

That, and corporate stanning.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Saudi Aramco flag is good for its class.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Count Roland posted:

With all this stars and stripes chat I may as well share something I made a while ago.

I'm all for it but canadians usually tell me they don't want us because we'll shoot everyone and vote away their healthcare

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm all for it but canadians usually tell me they don't want us because we'll shoot everyone and vote away their healthcare

Ingrates.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland posted:

You should've put it in the northeast.

Altho probably do it for one, every province is gonna want to have their own unique symbol. Imagine if Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia started wanting their stars to be different because they're commonwealths.

Although come to think of it, I wonder what a footnote flag for all of the US's nonstate divisions would look like.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Altho probably do it for one, every province is gonna want to have their own unique symbol. Imagine if Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia started wanting their stars to be different because they're commonwealths.

Suddenly you have me imagining what a shitshow it would be if every state got to design its own symbol to replace the star on the US flag... and they had to fight over which state went where. :allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra posted:

Altho probably do it for one, every province is gonna want to have their own unique symbol.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ah, the former canadian flag's seal.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this lovely loving flag:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jehde posted:

Look at this lovely loving flag:

Stolen Valor!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

You should've put it in the northeast.

Although come to think of it, I wonder what a footnote flag for all of the US's nonstate divisions would look like.

I thought the top right may suggest superiority, so I didn't want to put it there.

I considered adding in the territories but I couldn't decide on a symbol to represent them. I justify this by noting the US has territories that don't get stars on its flag.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Morocco knows who to trust

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/Troy_Johnson/status/1301194560215879687?s=19

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Never let Americans design a flag.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm legitimately surprised that they didn't go for the worse of the two options.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I thought for a second the ballot was for new flag/old flag, but luckily even Mississippi knows that it can't trust its own voters to not vote for the most racist option so if it loses it's just back to the drawing board for a new flag to put to voters later on. Maybe they should just keep saying no until something funny comes up

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I mean designing flags is fun, just refuse to approve a design so you can keep designing new ones

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

aphid_licker posted:

I mean designing flags is fun, just refuse to approve a design so you can keep designing new ones
They could always design a war flag. Be ahead of the curve for Civil War 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1301043609756749825

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
one of SA's least favorite people made a front page article about flags

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/flags-matter/

(dated July)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Santa Fe’s seal misspells the city’s name.

misplaced actue accent in “Asís”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Platystemon posted:

Santa Fe’s seal misspells the city’s name.

misplaced actue accent in “Asís”

Took me a minute.

Either that or it was an incomplete Czech diacritic and it's San Francisco de Hashish in which case, sign me up!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most of Argentina's provinces have flags that are just a variant of the national flag, or at least have the national flag's weird shade of off-blue, but I dig Tierra Del Fuego's flag.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I came across this today:

Not the usual thread fare in that its a flag of an office instead of a place, but still interesting. There's the eagle, a standard american symbol. But perched on a globe, which seems odd for an internal US government position. And then there's a slew of stars scattered about everywhere. 13 total: for the 13 colonies? Its odd to see no attempt at symmetry or organization. The one above the eagle's head looks deliberately offset so as to not be centered. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on the symbolism here.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Count Roland posted:

There's the eagle, a standard american symbol. But perched on a globe, which seems odd for an internal US government position. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on the symbolism here.

The eagle (and the pedestal below it) are from the Mace of the United States House of Representatives, which is a ceremonial symbol of office for the Sergeant at Arms of the House and is used as an indicator of whether the House is in session or not. It looks pretty fascist, but fasces and roman stuff wasn't as poisoned back in 1842 when this one was made. That said, the globe is much more pronounced on the flag with the blue oceans than it is on the mace itself.

As for the stars, I have no idea. It's very wierd.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In addition to the globe being weird, the projection is even weirder. It's centered on the Atlantic, and the West coast is basically hidden. It's a Eurocentric projection really, which seems odd when Usan maps are usually centered on the Americas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

In addition to the globe being weird, the projection is even weirder. It's centered on the Atlantic, and the West coast is basically hidden. It's a Eurocentric projection really, which seems odd when Usan maps are usually centered on the Americas.
It’s Atlanticist propaganda.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's probably just the orientation of the globe on the mace, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tsaedje posted:

It's probably just the orientation of the globe on the mace, right?

That would make sense though I can't find an image which clearly shows it. Descriptions of it have the "western hemisphere" or "north america" facing forward, both of which don't completely fit the flag.