Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

From what I can tell they disappear (or rather, they sit there where you left them, but you can't re-tame them) - also be aware that the mechanical chicken requires Animal Whisperer lvl 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

black.lion posted:

From what I can tell they disappear (or rather, they sit there where you left them, but you can't re-tame them) - also be aware that the mechanical chicken requires Animal Whisperer lvl 4

That's all fine and good - but does the chicken have a HAT?

Because I'm sorry but the cat in the hat is superior to all animals that do not have hats.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So it seems safe to say you can ignore the premade characters and not miss any unique content.

Kind of what I was hoping for, looks I'll be spending a couple hours agonizing over my initial pair tonight!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FileNotFound posted:

That's all fine and good - but does the chicken have a HAT?

Because I'm sorry but the cat in the hat is superior to all animals that do not have hats.

The chickens are a collection quest, you bring them back to your base and they hang out in a coop to unlock a super pet in the end game.

Also Major Tom requires 1 animal skill so dump one point in with someone else and have him follow them. As long as you don't zone out you can tame animals after you dismiss them to move them to a new person.

If you got the special cigarettes in the prologue you don't even need animal skill to have him as a follower.

Personally I've found animals are incredibly good as supplemental DPS/meat shields and have some level of animal skill on 5 of my 6 characters though only 1 is really focusing on it. The biggest issue I've had is you can only have one animal of each type following you, so only 1 cat, 1 dog etc across your whole party. Luckily Major Tom counts as him own thing so you can still have a normal cat.

Chickens are also the most damaging early game animal by far. They hit for about 2.5X what Dogs/Cats/Foxes do and can crit for like 74 damage lol. Its insane.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 28, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Zore posted:

The chickens are a collection quest, you bring them back to your base and they hang out in a coop to unlock a super pet in the end game.

Also Major Tom requires 1 animal skill so dump one point in with someone else and have him follow them. As long as you don't zone out you can tame animals after you dismiss them to move them to a new person.

If you got the special cigarettes in the prologue you don't even need animal skill to have him as a follower.

Personally I've found animals are incredibly good as supplemental DPS/meat shields and have some level of animal skill on 5 of my 6 characters though only 1 is really focusing on it. The biggest issue I've had is you can only have one animal of each type following you, so only 1 cat, 1 dog etc across your whole party. Luckily Major Tom counts as him own thing so you can still have a normal cat.

Chickens are also the most damaging early game animal by far. They hit for about 2.5X what Dogs/Cats/Foxes do and can crit for like 74 damage lol. Its insane.

What? Pets are per character?! Are you saying I Could have 6 chars with 6 pets?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FileNotFound posted:

What? Pets are per character?! Are you saying I Could have 6 chars with 6 pets?

Yep!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

That is by far the most game changing thing I have read about wasteland 3 to date.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

powergamer eye twitches

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
If you really want to powergame there are 2 animal companions that don't require any Animal Whisperer skill to follow you. One is Major Tom in the prologue and the other is bribeable for $200 or 5 Barter later in the game. Using them frees up some points on two of your characters so you only need Animal Whisperer on 4 to have a full party!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

animal companions are dumb, he says smugly, reloading his frozen ferret launcher

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

gently caress thanks. I only had the one guy with AW so I did not know and I AM KEEPING MAJOR TOM! My god nothing better happen to him. I will punch Brian Fargo in the balls if Major Tom dies permanently.

Will add more to the op probably tomorrow but thread has exploded. Initial thoughts: Game is super fun but have had several CTD on XBone. Just be sure to save and prepare yourself. Int is the new semi dump stat. Never would have guessed. Still useful for crits but feel free to leave now. If you pre-ordered be sure to pick up a crate of great newbie weapons, hat and an ex badge. Super nice. Always create custom guys unless you are doing a specific gimmick.

Spoilery hints of things you don't need to invest in with initial guys
Really early companions bring assault rifles, kiss rear end, sneaky poo poo, weapon mods and barter so there is some room at the start. First aid is a great skill to have at least 1 rank in. You don't need animal whisperer to get Major Tom as if you save her Jodie Bell and talk to her she gives you ciggs to get him to be your friend. A cat in a hat who smokes. gently caress Major Tom is awesome. Animal Whisperer does give you some cute dialogue.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
ack - ignore me

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I maxed my coordination on my sniper character from the start, since I wanna shoot mah gunz twice

I also grabbed small arms... and drat, it works better for pistol characters. Being able to shoot a big rear end revolver 3-4 times a turn at stuff is real good

Scoss posted:

I really hate how much inertia the camera has when panning with WASD or rotating, feels super sluggish.

one of my top complaints

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ok turns out you can't just edit the save game file to sneakily respec your characters anymore, so there goes my dream of playing the premade characters and making them actually good.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Can you remove mods from weapons? If not, why the gently caress not? That means I gotta hoard stuff and never use it until I have a REALLY GOOD gun or piece of equipment.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Iymarra posted:

Can you remove mods from weapons? If not, why the gently caress not? That means I gotta hoard stuff and never use it until I have a REALLY GOOD gun or piece of equipment.

Mods and guns are tiered.

There are mods that you need 1 skill to install in your 1 skill to use guns and all that.

So I imagine that by the time I have a high skill gun I'll have high skill mods to use on them - in short I don't see a reason to not put in early game mods in your crappy guns.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that. I just put a bunch of modding 1 upgrades in a gun, then immediately found a vendor with a much superior pistol, which would be even better with said mods in it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

So - is the game more fun that Wasteland 2?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Samovar posted:

I bounced hard off of Wasteland 2 and I'm having a lot of fun with this, so I would say...yes?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Samovar posted:

It feels like a good old Fallout game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SMG + Rifle seems a good combo for assault rifle characters. Flamer + Machine Gun on heavys

Not sure if the pyro perk is worth it yet tho. Lighting your rear end on fire on the hardest difficulty is pretty painful

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
What the guy MacTavish with no nose shouts in prison is the most perfect bit of dialogue. Freeeeedom!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

marshmallow creep posted:

So i recruited Major Tom but found a cyborg chicken. I would like to recruit him too but can't with this other pet. If I dismiss a unique pet, do they hang out at base or do they disappear?

I have Major Tom following me and two cyborg chickens. I only get a stat buff from Tom, but all three participate in battle. I'm not sure if it's bugged or what.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

I have Major Tom following me and two cyborg chickens. I only get a stat buff from Tom, but all three participate in battle. I'm not sure if it's bugged or what.

Cyborg Chickens don't give buffs becaus they're a glorified collectible, lead them back to the coop at your base and they'll automatically dismiss themselves and hang out. If you find and retrieve all of the ones in the game you get a special animal unlocked

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Quite tempted to pick this up and was wondering what to expect from the base building aspect? I really enjoy base building but details seem a bit sparse on what it actually involves.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

truther posted:

Quite tempted to pick this up and was wondering what to expect from the base building aspect? I really enjoy base building but details seem a bit sparse on what it actually involves.

Nothing. You find dudes who return to your base and fix up a room. Sometimes you get to choose between different dudes that do functionally the same thing. There's no meaningful gameplay related to it, unless it's an endgame thing and I haven't reached it yet.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How rare is heavy weapons ammo? I am asking because I am still in the character creation/tweaking loop and I on the latest run, I used up all my heavy ammo in the opening fight, which does not bode well for me because it seems like I am a long way away from being able to restock? Is this one of those situations where you can't actually use the weapon you spec into, or will everything be OK?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

How rare is heavy weapons ammo? I am asking because I am still in the character creation/tweaking loop and I on the latest run, I used up all my heavy ammo in the opening fight, which does not bode well for me because it seems like I am a long way away from being able to restock? Is this one of those situations where you can't actually use the weapon you spec into, or will everything be OK?

I've never had an issue with it myself, I'm at one heavy weapon user, but I also didn't get close to running out in the first fight

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Load times are atrocious on a fast SSD :|

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also important tip, if you have any gear that increases a skill take it off when levelling up so you can invest in the skill more cheaply.

Edit: I just found out Cyborg Chickens don't count against your animal limit. Lol I have 8 combat pets following my dudes right now

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 28, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
game fun, can't stop rerolling, going to solve the problem by cheating myself skillpoints to spend and give a baseline of lockpicking, etc.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So does the game have an interesting story?

What difficulty are you guys playing on?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Note: Luck DOES slightly affect your looting. More specifically, you have a Luck based chance to find extra dollars in containers. You can tell this happened when a horseshoe shines over the opening character and I think a very tiny message pops up in a corner.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Little Vegas spoiler.

I didn't want to make a deal with the boss so he attacked me. I won the fight on the first attempt but got a dead Ranger. Then I realized then when you kill him the fight stops so I reloaded and tried again. This time I didn't lose any Ranger (well I had to revive the squishies a bunch of time) but when he reached 1 HP (where the fight should stop) he was still on fire from the Molotov Cocktail. So that killed him and immediately resumed the fight with all the remaining goons (that I had mostly ignored before in order to focus him). I still won that fight by chain reviving them. Not pretty.

Long story shot, I looted his weapons and one of them is a SMG with 99 penetration.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zore posted:

I've never had an issue with it myself, I'm at one heavy weapon user, but I also didn't get close to running out in the first fight

Heavy Weapon with Serial Killer means you can take A LOT of shots. I nearly killed the robot thing (on Ranger) before the lady got the big gun fixed.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
I played the tutorial twice and both times it spawned the wrong ammo for my weapons, leaving me unable to beat the second fight. Not really a great start to the experience.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I went max glass cannon with my sniper. 10 coordination and death wish with high int, so far he's pretty killy

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I feel grabbing ~4 strength on your early characters is a good way to go, gotta get that bonus HP over time. Then maxing out your main stat

MorphineMike posted:

I played the tutorial twice and both times it spawned the wrong ammo for my weapons, leaving me unable to beat the second fight. Not really a great start to the experience.

Are you on the GOG edition? Seems like there have been a number of issues on that one

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

Are you on the GOG edition? Seems like there have been a number of issues on that one

Nope, Game Pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The upcoming Goon-related project Broken Roads just popped up on Steam and it looks amazing already (not out until "Late 2021" mind).

Australian post-apocalypse, as of course we know all of it should be

And no I have nothing to do with it, other than being excited about it and liking to promote cool things, even in the wake of this other extremely cool thing