Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I picked up some army painter pure red to have a crack at some blood angels. It's a wonderfully saturated bright red spray primer that's exactly what I wanted. The pure red from a pot however is far more pink and desaturated than the sprayed on colour and really stands out when doing touch ups.

AP claims they match 100%, but even the swatches on the spray and the pot don't match. What the gently caress. Is that normal for them?

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

That's weird, the pure red from the bottle should not seem pink and de-saturated, that almost sounds like the pigment in the bottle isn't mixed fully.

I've used the spray and dropper and they are very close, if not exact.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That's what I thought but the shade out of the bottle matches the swatch on the bottle label. I've shaken it a fair bit by hand, but I need to get some ball bearings.

Bit bummed because the spray is loving awesome, with some flesh tearers contrast for panel lining it looks fantastic.

e:
the damage to the bottle label is from strapping it to a jigsaw to give it a good mechanical shake.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 28, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Well I'm not sure, it's been a few years since I used the spray so maybe they matched less than I thought.

These days I spray the pure red dropper over a zenithal primed undercoat, so it's only brightest at the top parts of the part. The reason I started doing that was with my original blood angels I'd gotten kind of a zenithal effect from the pure red spray over the previous blue plastic, so I tried to approximate that with the airbrush.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I think you're right, I should definitely get an airbrush already. :hmmyes:

That sounds cool and I was thinking of trialling something similar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If it's the same pigment it shouldn't matter spray or bottle (assuming they know what they're doing which they generally do). Might be a job for a ball bearing or returning for another pot?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
To be honest I've just come to accept that spray and pots have a very slightly different finish no matter what and always paint over spray now, even with the "same" colour.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

If it's the same pigment it shouldn't matter spray or bottle (assuming they know what they're doing which they generally do). Might be a job for a ball bearing or returning for another pot?

Yeah I'll get up them about it. I don't think it's a mixing problem given the label matches the final colour pretty well, even going over the spray.

Kitchner posted:

To be honest I've just come to accept that spray and pots have a very slightly different finish no matter what and always paint over spray now, even with the "same" colour.

It kind of blends in small patches, but once you see it you can't unsee it. Touching up a plate with makes it look so out of place to the rest, it just looks wrong.

If it had a similar eye searing saturation to the spray I'd be fine, but I want that, so painting over isn't going to work. A thin coat of blood angels contrast gets it close enough to pass but then it's contrast splotchy. If I put battle damage over that I'd probably never see it again tbh, but drat it they said 100% match not 'eh they're both red i guess'.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Knobb Manwich posted:

It kind of blends in small patches, but once you see it you can't unsee it. Touching up a plate with makes it look so out of place to the rest, it just looks wrong.

So in a GW video tutorial or a Duncan Rhodes one a while back they were like "Spray this colour, now paint it the exact same colour" and before I could say "lol nice one to see more paint GW" they explained they are slightly different tones and therefore if you make a mistake a need to touch up that mistake it will be very slightly obvious.

I repeated these words of wisdom to a friend who went to spray his WW2 tank with Zhandri dust, and suggested he spray it and then give it at least one thin layer with the pot. He ignored me then apologised later when he needed to fix a mistake an you could see it was slightly different.

He also suggested he may cover it up with battle damage.

So now I have just come to accept your should never leave the spray paint colour showing unless you're doing a super quick "gently caress I need these guys battle ready for a tournament tomorrow" job.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I get what you said and why, I'd like to do that, if they were even ball park close. The final colour of the bottle i have sucks rear end and ruins what i love from the spray. I'll be damned before I'll settle for painting my BA in anything less than a red shade of the freshest blood straight from Santa's elves.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

I get what you said and why, I'd like to do that, if they were even ball park close. The final colour of the bottle i have sucks rear end and ruins what i love from the spray. I'll be damned before I'll settle for painting my BA in anything less than a red shade of the freshest blood straight from Santa's elves.

I started painting with a big box of army painter colors and if I was giving advice to a new painter I think I'd try to avoid them and just collect a few colors from somebody else for what you need to paint. The line has some great paints but is really inconsistent and some mix especially poorly and the pigment separated from the medium on quite a few of mine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Knobb Manwich posted:

Do the scale modeller trick and decant the paint from the spraycan. Spray hard into.the lid and you can pour the paint into a bottle.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Z the IVth posted:

Do the scale modeller trick and decant the paint from the spraycan. Spray hard into.the lid and you can pour the paint into a bottle.

:psyboom: Jesus christ you can't just up and stay things like that! I almost had an aneurysm because of how obviously simple of an idea this is, yet I never thought to do that.

Will the paint dry out if this is done in a drip bottle?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:psyboom: Jesus christ you can't just up and stay things like that! I almost had an aneurysm because of how obviously simple of an idea this is, yet I never thought to do that.

If it's airtight you should be good. I used my wife's empty makeup containers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has there been anything new on the WH40K app? I am very ready to subscribe to it, but it seems like GW has already abandoned it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

You’ll need some white spirit or something to clean your brushes if you do this though, water won’t do anything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I said come in! posted:

Has there been anything new on the WH40K app? I am very ready to subscribe to it, but it seems like GW has already abandoned it.

They set up a road map of sorts but the list builder, the part people care about, is still "sometime in the future".

Edit:

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

RagnarokAngel posted:

They set up a road map of sorts but the list builder, the part people care about, is still "sometime in the future".

Edit:

And much more! We have no idea!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I expected the app to be a disaster but so bad it committed several crimes was not on my list.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, I know Battlescribe is bad apparently but they had working list building within 48 hours of the rules dropping.

And (while I'm well aware of professional vs. amateur and I know (better than most) the dangers that organizations face from Not Invented Here): goddamn, GW.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Got an email that the Weirdboy is back in stock. I like the Weirdnob Shaman better at this point but figured I would pas it on.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Knobb Manwich posted:

I do really like the Blood Angels Red contrast paint for really, really deep reds. What I usually do is just paint the figure a lighter shade of red (evil sun's scarlet) and then paint blood angels red over the top.

When my Word Bearers arrive I'd be tempted to spray them all mephiston red spray and then blood angels red all over the top of that, but contrast has the same problem as spray, if you need to touch up a mistake, it's not going to play nice.

So instead I'm thinking mephiston red spray, Word Bearers red as a layer, and then Wazdakka red and evil sunz scarlet highlight. Should create a really dark red.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Like, I know Battlescribe is bad apparently but they had working list building within 48 hours of the rules dropping.

And (while I'm well aware of professional vs. amateur and I know (better than most) the dangers that organizations face from Not Invented Here): goddamn, GW.

Because it's unofficial I see a lot of skepticism around using it but I don't see many more inaccuracies compared to what GW has put out with Azyr and especially launch day of this app. You should always double check of course but I think too much burden is placed on it being "not official".

If nothing else I would love a list builder with a UI that's more friendly to the user. It's baffling that they did so badly with this when Azyr is fine, it's not perfect and a lot could be done, but it gets its job done.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I cannot believe that there's no way to view / sort units by keyword.

That's the intended purpose of keywords, guys.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I will admit I did squint a little when I first saw a video where the guy sprayed into a lid to decant before transferring to an airbrush.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

That's wild, I didn't know about that trick. Are you basically working with an enamel paint at that point?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Edit:

Wait, do the Indomintus models not have stats available yet? Or what physical books are these units listed in?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I said come in! posted:

Wait, do the Indomintus models not have stats available yet? Or what physical books are these units listed in?

They're only listed in the booklet that comes with Indomitus, I believe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

Gotcha! The reason why I didn't know this is because I bought just the Necrons from another goon and they only gave me the assembly instructions.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

That's wild, I didn't know about that trick. Are you basically working with an enamel paint at that point?

It's still acrylic, though like someone else said you'll need to clean your brushes with a proper solvent rather than just water.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

The indomitus stats are in the app under the Edge of silence : Space Marines and Necrons and it's broken up by chapter.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If people are looking for alternate Guard models, the Dreamforge range is making a comeback! :toot:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Honestly not exactly thrilled the More-Explicity-Space-Nazis minis are back but good that guy can keep working, he's got talent even if it's uh, misplaced..

Space Soviets might be cool.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I was tempted to buy some custom word bearer shoulder pad add ons, and someone linked people here who made some. I checked one of them out (can't remember which) and one of their recent projects was making a space marine logo of a Noose.

I noped away from that immediately.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

The indomitus stats are in the app under the Edge of silence : Space Marines and Necrons and it's broken up by chapter.

It sounds like GW is going to improve the app, but until they fix that organizational structure it's still going to suck.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So my FLGS still had an Indomitus box left, and last time we were in the store my wife actually commented on how cool the necron looked. So now I have Indomitus. I've never bought a new edition box before, it's kind of overwhelming.

Just got to finish my 1ksons army. All that's left are vehicles and a daemon prince, but wow there is a lot of stuff in this box.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah indomitus is a really, really good box set and in an expensive hobby any chance to pick up so many model for a relatively low cost was always going to be crazy popular.

I think a lot of people are also now getting multiple smaller armies due to a) crusade and b) a good way to introduce others to the hobby by lending them one of your armies.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Speaking of indomitus, I think I figured out the rough color scheme I'm going to paint the marines from that box

Spanish Manlove posted:

Test space wolf second try. Even lazier paint job than last time but this is all to see if colors work together. Got some vallejo luftwaffe grey for the armor and it's fitting pretty well in my opinion. I washed the blue/green with some gulliman blue glaze (rip) then drybrushed with p3 frostbite white. Edit: I think red eye lenses will look better

So what do you guys think of the colors? Tomorrow I think i'm gonna try this scheme out on a primaris marine from the indomitus box. Lets see if I remember how to apply transfers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

Speaking of indomitus, I think I figured out the rough color scheme I'm going to paint the marines from that box

I wouldn't paint the weapons the same colour as the should pads personally. That blue is really bright and I think less is more.

Personally I really like the squad markings that are "canon" (i.e. Red and black for the intercessors and grey hunters, grey and black for reivers, yellow and black for wolf guard etc). If you're going for that blue instead though I'd leave it as the shoulder markings and just do the weapons in black. If you have a frost sword or something I'd try to paint it so it looks distinct from the frosty shoulder pad look too. Maybe more of a frost white just to differentiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Long shot but does anyone know when AP started using white text for the colour name on their pots? My pure red is black text and I can't even find a matching product picture. Wondering if it's very old or something? If anyone happens to be out and about in plagueworld 2020 I'd really appreciate a side by side picture of the AP pure red pot/primer.

Z the IVth posted:

Nice.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

You’ll need some white spirit or something to clean your brushes if you do this though, water won’t do anything.

Very nice.

Kitchner posted:

I do really like the Blood Angels Red contrast paint for really, really deep reds. What I usually do is just paint the figure a lighter shade of red (evil sun's scarlet) and then paint blood angels red over the top.

When my Word Bearers arrive I'd be tempted to spray them all mephiston red spray and then blood angels red all over the top of that, but contrast has the same problem as spray, if you need to touch up a mistake, it's not going to play nice.

So instead I'm thinking mephiston red spray, Word Bearers red as a layer, and then Wazdakka red and evil sunz scarlet highlight. Should create a really dark red.

There were a lot of complaints about GWs Mephiston Red spray when I was looking. I haven't found anyone complaining of the same issue I'm having so idk. I'd be curious to try two thinner coats of BA contrast over a slight zenithal or pre shaded mini.