Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

toadee posted:

I've been wanting to take the plunge into LF for a while now (I've done/do a lot of 120 developing and printing and it seemed like a fun natural next step), and after having been scared off of Intrepid by this thread, found this listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tachihara-...10AAOSw8RtfFiSM

Which, it certainly looks like a Tachihara to my untrained eyes, and more importantly, seems like a good deal considering the Fujinon 150 5.6 is the lens I was going to get anyway, and the 3 film holders and loupe are a nice toss in as well. I know the default recommendation is Chamonix, but, does this look like a good bet to you all?

Seems like a good deal, if a gamble. The seller being unsure of the model is a bit of a red flag, since it means they may not be able to spot problems with the equipment. Need to worry about light leaks, inaccurate shutter times, etc. Tachihara made good cameras, and that's the version of the fujinon with multi-coatings (you can tell because the "fujinon" text is on the outside of the lens rather than the inside) so it's probably a safe bet? but you should probably be ready to sell it back off if it's a junker, possibly at a loss. I guess worst cast scenario you're out a hundred or so bucks from the camera+lens, and then not need to worry about buying more film holders, a loupe, cable release, or focus hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

CodfishCartographer posted:

Seems like a good deal, if a gamble. The seller being unsure of the model is a bit of a red flag, since it means they may not be able to spot problems with the equipment. Need to worry about light leaks, inaccurate shutter times, etc. Tachihara made good cameras, and that's the version of the fujinon with multi-coatings (you can tell because the "fujinon" text is on the outside of the lens rather than the inside) so it's probably a safe bet? but you should probably be ready to sell it back off if it's a junker, possibly at a loss. I guess worst cast scenario you're out a hundred or so bucks from the camera+lens, and then not need to worry about buying more film holders, a loupe, cable release, or focus hood.

The seller has a decent amount of Ebay history (500+ reviews, 100% positive), and scouring as much as I could through the feedback almost everything they sell is large format. I realize it's still a gamble but my gut says this is someone who owns a small camera shop, knows enough about large format photography to be able to say "yeah, this is a good working large format camera that looks like its a Tachihara field camera", and presumably isn't going to gently caress with their rating to try to scam someone on a leaky pile of trash. But, like you say, worst case is Im out a couple hundred bucks reselling a body in need of repair, and keep the extras.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Are there any 2x3 / 6x9 press camera enthusiasts ITT? I impulse purchased a Busch Pressman today. I'm looking for an Adapt-A-Roll 620 to shoot roll film in it. There are none on ebay currently. Was wondering if there are better places to search. Also Linhof makes a similar product, for way more money, and I was wondering if the additional cost is justified.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I use a Horseman VH, which is a Graflok back. I had a quick look and there's some info about adapting the Pressman to a Graflok which would give you access to the excellent Horseman 6x7 and 6x9 backs. Don't know about other alternatives sorry.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Good to know, thanks! I might look into that if the other solutions don't pan out / are too cumbersome. Your work with the Horseman in this thread was what had me looking at press cameras in the first place. I've been lazily searching for a while, but then this Busch popped up with lens in good shape for <$100 so I just went for it. I don't mind shooting sheet film but no one is making color 2x3 these days and I like shooting in color sometimes.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

rockear posted:

Are there any 2x3 / 6x9 press camera enthusiasts ITT? I impulse purchased a Busch Pressman today. I'm looking for an Adapt-A-Roll 620 to shoot roll film in it. There are none on ebay currently. Was wondering if there are better places to search. Also Linhof makes a similar product, for way more money, and I was wondering if the additional cost is justified.

I have an Ihagee Fotoklapp Duplex which is a 6x9 view camera. I only have film holders for it though, I don't believe there's a rollfilm back for it. I just cut 120 film up in a darkbag with a guillotine and a cardboard blank.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
All of those backs are basically interchangeable, same withthe mamiya rb67 ones. Theres a site with a lot of info about graflok backs and what does and doesn’t work - mercury camera i believe.

I can’t speak about the camera you have but it is possible to make an adaptor to take the correct back. I’m in the middle of this project on a mini speed graphic (abandoned for the most part)

As for 2x3, instax mini is also exactly the right sized. Generally people will buy an old broken instax on ebay just to get a working film transport, and they will load film holders with instax (backwards is the correct direction, then re-load the exposed instax into the original cartridge and load that into the instax to eject and start the processing

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

All of those backs are basically interchangeable, same withthe mamiya rb67 ones. Theres a site with a lot of info about graflok backs and what does and doesn’t work - mercury camera i believe.

I can’t speak about the camera you have but it is possible to make an adaptor to take the correct back. I’m in the middle of this project on a mini speed graphic (abandoned for the most part)

As for 2x3, instax mini is also exactly the right sized. Generally people will buy an old broken instax on ebay just to get a working film transport, and they will load film holders with instax (backwards is the correct direction, then re-load the exposed instax into the original cartridge and load that into the instax to eject and start the processing

This is my camera.

The focusing glass and the film holders slide into slots on the back.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wild EEPROM posted:

Here is that Mercury Camera page: http://mercurycamera.com/backs/complete-guide-to-graflok-23-backs-graflex-mamiya-rb67-horseman-and-mercury/

Also found this video showing the Instax process you're talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fxkUpnMfGk

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This is probably a dumb question but until I get the roll film thing figured out... Will 9x12 sheet film cut in half fit 2x3 film holders? 50 sheets of 9x12 Fomapan are the same price as 50 sheets of 2x3 Arista. Seems like you could get double for your money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
e: nvm, but no, probably not

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I tried googling it and nobody seems to be doing it, so you're probably right. These oddball film sizes are kind of confusing.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it's because fomapan loving sucks

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I know a lot of people hate it here. It seems to be the only option for 2x3 cut film at the moment though. Until next year when HP5 and FP4 become available, or Adox in October. I figure for experimenting with an old camera it's fine.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

So far MF sucks major balls. I've been trying to buy an RZ67 for a few weeks now. All the accessories are here, only the body is missing. The first body I bought was obviously not as the seller had described, so I immediately sent it back. The order for the second body was cancelled by the seller. I just placed an order for a third body.

I think this experience is a training/preview of the slower work flow compared to digital, so at least I am learning something.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The lesson is hold on to whatever you end up with that works because there’s an ever-diminishing supply of stuff that’s still in good condition.

I was thinking about selling my spare Pentax 6x7 body that has a very slight shutter bounce or drag that’s visible at 1/1000, but the process of getting a hold of a good Pentax 67 was such a crapshoot that I’m holding on to it because I’d rather pay to get it fixed than go to the increasingly lovely market for another replacement.

Also why I bought a Baby Crown Graphic; extremely simple, robust, and easy to repair, and there are way more good press camera lenses & shutters still out there.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The lesson is hold on to whatever you end up with that works because there’s an ever-diminishing supply of stuff that’s still in good condition.

I was thinking about selling my spare Pentax 6x7 body that has a very slight shutter bounce or drag that’s visible at 1/1000, but the process of getting a hold of a good Pentax 67 was such a crapshoot that I’m holding on to it because I’d rather pay to get it fixed than go to the increasingly lovely market for another replacement.

Also why I bought a Baby Crown Graphic; extremely simple, robust, and easy to repair, and there are way more good press camera lenses & shutters still out there.

Good Kermit: Maybe you should not have bought into MF.
Evil Kermit: Buy a backup body.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Welp I found an Adapt-A-Roll on Etsy that the seller was willing to separate from the Century Graphic she was selling, so assuming it's functional I won't be fuckin' with sheet film and its accoutrements until / if I decide to go to a true LF camera. Thanks everyone who gave input.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
E: oops

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Follow up to that Ebay listing question, it arrived today and it seems to be in pretty drat good shape

I will light test the bellows tonight but it shows no signs of wear visually so Im pretty confident in it.

Thanks again for convincing me not to get an Intrepid!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Really dig this one

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've been meaning to get into medium format for a while now and just recently pulled the trigger on baby's first 120 camera, the Fuji GS645S rangefinder. Pretty compact but apparently this series is delicate, my version has a crash bar surrounding the lens. I can wiggle the lens a bit which freaks me out and which means I can never just offhandedly toss this in a bag which is unfortunate. The rangefinder is slow (a common problem with these cameras) and the patch is super dim too but those are fixable.

Still, lens is super sharp and overall I can only see myself shooting more MF in the future with a more capable camera. And goddamn, color film is a whole new bag compared to 35mm.

I think I would enjoy shooting 6x6 but my options there are easily more than double or triple what I paid for the GS645S (rangefinders suit me best so I've been pining over the Mamiya 6, Fuji GF670 and Makina 67, which does not shoot 6x6). I like the idea of a Hasselblad but am pretty sure I would hate lugging that around all day if I went travelling in the post-pandemic future.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 1, 2020

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The GF670 does also shoot 6x6.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

I think I would enjoy shooting 6x6 but my options there are easily more than double or triple what I paid for the GS645S (rangefinders suit me best so I've been pining over the Mamiya 6, Fuji GF670 and Makina 67, which does not shoot 6x6). I like the idea of a Hasselblad but am pretty sure I would hate lugging that around all day if I went travelling in the post-pandemic future.

Look at the Arax 88 if 6x6 Hasselblad-style cameras sound like your jam. They are new cameras with warranties. I have one and I love it, a couple of other goons here have one too. I also have a Kiev 60 which is a gihugeous 6x6 SLR. It's not a rangefinder but its more 'regular camera format' than the 88. Arax sell those new too, in both 6x45 or 6x6 flavours.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I want to buy a medium format rangefinder

HOW ABOUT A KNOCK OFF HASSELBLAD OR A FAKE PENTACON INSTEAD

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If portability is king then don't sleep on TLRs, otherwise you've got a wishlist of the most well regarded 6x6/7 rangefinders on the market there.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
reject modernity

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

rockear posted:

reject modernity

If you rack in the bellows, can you use the dark slide to slice the pineapple?

Edit: Dark slice :dadjoke:

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 2, 2020

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Megabound posted:

If portability is king then don't sleep on TLRs, otherwise you've got a wishlist of the most well regarded 6x6/7 rangefinders on the market there.

This is true, my experience handling a TLR is very limited and I've never shot with one so I don't know how they compare in terms of weight, functionality or people gawking at you. I know enough that the Yashica is a good starter model but I'd probably aim for something better.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I hadn't shot one until I got my Minolta Autocord and now I'm completely sold on them. One of the most desired TLRs is the Mamiya C330, but what you gain in interchangeable lenses you lose in weight and size which goes against purpose for me. I wouldn't call Yashica a starter brand, their Mat 124 G is real nice. It's really all down to lens quality, and each major brand has a TLR with a fantastic lens in.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Autocords just seem to have nice colors for the age of their lenses. I know it’s ultimately malleable with color negative film scans but on the whole I see a lot of very vivid images coming from Autocords. It’s like Minolta figured out how to coat their lenses for a warm and saturated, but not too contrasty, look back in the 60s when a lot of their competitors still had lenses that shifted a little more to the cool side. They’re one of my favorite vintage TLRs, just based on what I’ve seen from other people. (I don’t have one)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Megabound posted:

I hadn't shot one until I got my Minolta Autocord and now I'm completely sold on them. One of the most desired TLRs is the Mamiya C330, but what you gain in interchangeable lenses you lose in weight and size which goes against purpose for me. I wouldn't call Yashica a starter brand, their Mat 124 G is real nice. It's really all down to lens quality, and each major brand has a TLR with a fantastic lens in.

Buy the Mat 124 instead of 124 G. It's the exact same camera and lens but with silver details instead of black. For some reason, this raises the price by 100+.

Also if you want a project, I have a C220 that I got from a late relative with 180 f/4.5 and 135 f/4.5 lenses. Both lenses are fogged to hell, maybe with fungus? The camera needs new light seals and i haven't tested any of the shutter speeds or anything. I've been holding onto it with the vague plans to fix it up, but I'm already happy with my Yashica and :effort:. If you're interested make me an offer, I'd be willing to part with it for dirt cheap mostly to get rid of it

e: oops I misread and thought you said it was one of your most desired TLRs. Well, if anyone else is interested, lemme know

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Buy the Mat 124 instead of 124 G. It's the exact same camera and lens but with silver details instead of black. For some reason, this raises the price by 100+.

Also if you want a project, I have a C220 that I got from a late relative with 180 f/4.5 and 135 f/4.5 lenses. Both lenses are fogged to hell, maybe with fungus? The camera needs new light seals and i haven't tested any of the shutter speeds or anything. I've been holding onto it with the vague plans to fix it up, but I'm already happy with my Yashica and :effort:. If you're interested make me an offer, I'd be willing to part with it for dirt cheap mostly to get rid of it

e: oops I misread and thought you said it was one of your most desired TLRs. Well, if anyone else is interested, lemme know

Ooh. I've been looking for a MF camera.

Just sent you a PM.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

So this arrived yesterday, and it still has a roll of film inside with at least one exposure remaining. I think I'm gonna shoot until it's spent and try to develop. Any advice on what speed I should meter for, since I won't know what it is until I unload? I was thinking 25 or maybe even 12, since the film is likely 50 years expired and garage-kept. Maybe I should go even lower...

Also the camera itself came and seems to be largely functional but there are some pinhole light leaks in the bellows. Opinions differ on whether it's worthwhile to attempt repair or just suck it up and replace. I was thinking of buying some of the goop they are selling here (toward the bottom of the page) as it's relatively cheap and I've found a few positive testimonials. Curious if anyone has thoughts.

http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/large.htm

rockear fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 4, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I used regular-rear end hardware store ‘liquid electrical tape’ to patch a pinhole light leak in a cloth shutter curtain before with no ill effects, would that not be sufficient to patch light leaks in a bellows? I guess maybe it wouldn’t tolerate repetitive stretching and folding?

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah a lot of people are recommending the liquid electrical tape on various LF forums. I think any patching solution is pretty temporary, since even if the patch holds forever, more holes will develop as you work the bellows to focus and use movements. If that stuff from Equinox wasn't so cheap I'd probably just go with a hardware store solution.

There's also this ebay seller that has new ones relatively cheap, but still considerably more than I paid for the camera, so I'm trying to avoid that for a while if possible. Also they don't specifically have bellows for this camera, but I suspect they might make them if asked.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Made-Bellows-For-Busch-Pressman-Model-D-4x5-Large-Format-Camera-/282654259791

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I used regular-rear end hardware store ‘liquid electrical tape’ to patch a pinhole light leak in a cloth shutter curtain before with no ill effects, would that not be sufficient to patch light leaks in a bellows? I guess maybe it wouldn’t tolerate repetitive stretching and folding?

I used liquid electric tape to fix a leak the bellows of my Fuji GS645 folder and its held up opening and closing for several years. I sadly haven’t used it recently.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Autocords just seem to have nice colors for the age of their lenses. I know it’s ultimately malleable with color negative film scans but on the whole I see a lot of very vivid images coming from Autocords. It’s like Minolta figured out how to coat their lenses for a warm and saturated, but not too contrasty, look back in the 60s when a lot of their competitors still had lenses that shifted a little more to the cool side. They’re one of my favorite vintage TLRs, just based on what I’ve seen from other people. (I don’t have one)

Welp I just pulled the trigger on an Autocord. Pretty much everything I've read about them has been glowing with the very major exception of the fragile focusing lever so here's hoping I can keep from breaking it!