Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Karloff posted:

When the 2014 film came out a friend of mine came up to me knowing I was very fond of Godzilla and asked me what I thought. I said I liked it, but he didn't feel the same way and said it wasn't a "proper Godzilla film", I asked how so, and he said "Since when has Godzilla been able to shoot poo poo out of his mouth". To which I responded "Since forever". It was very odd, I think maybe he was confusing it with other things, or maybe getting the 98 film wrapped up in his head. The Godzilla films were less ubiquitous on UK televisions than I gather they were in America, so there's a good chance most UK viewers of the legendary Godzilla films will have never seen any of the Toho films.

I saw the 2014 zilla in the theater with someone who didn't know Godzilla could do that. She was shocked.

edit: SNYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

KoTM's breath seems so much different than 14's. 14's is a bit more liquidy and KoTM is a straight up beam.

I recently rewatched KoTM and I warmed up to it a bit but it does feel like it's a bit too long and the monster fights are pretty good but I still prefer 14's style.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chiasaur11 posted:

Titan Shifters aren't monsters, really. They're flesh-mechs, working for the Not!Germans against their enemies. It's one group of humans against another, with Titans merely acting as the medium.

honestly, I'd be inclined to say that if the "flesh-mech" is you, and not something you're inside, you're a kaiju, not a mech. Ultraman is typically regarded as a kaiju thing, not a mech thing, and the titan shifters are just really gross, fleshy Ultramen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly, I'd be inclined to say that if the "flesh-mech" is you, and not something you're inside, you're a kaiju, not a mech. Ultraman is typically regarded as a kaiju thing, not a mech thing, and the titan shifters are just really gross, fleshy Ultramen.

I'm very far behind on Attack on Titan, but as I recall the titan's original human body is present inside the Titan body. It's in the back of the neck, that's why that area is the titan's weak spot. At one point they cut the guy out of his titan body. Whereas with Ultraman when the guy is transformed into Ultraman, the human form is in some weird dark limbo area, the physicality of which is not clear.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 29, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

And that whole "Ultraman's host is in a pocket dimension" thing is a pretty recent Heisei creation.

Interesting: tonight's Zett episode isn't numbered; next week's is Episode 11.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I don’t remember if I knew that G’14 had fire breath, but holy poo poo when it started charging up the first time. An unbelievable and exciting moment that lit my theater up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm very far behind on Attack on Titan, but as I recall the titan's original human body is present inside the Titan body. It's in the back of the neck, that's why that area is the titan's weak spot. At one point they cut the guy out of his titan body. Whereas with Ultraman when the guy is transformed into Ultraman, the human form is in some weird dark limbo area, the physicality of which is not clear.

Yep.

For non-shifters, it's just a brain and spinal cord, but for shifters, we see the people inside, and they can poke themselves out, even if they're hooked up to a bunch of nerves.

Season 4 is even going to have

Someone remote controlling a titan from a comparatively safe location outside of the body.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

I don’t remember if I knew that G’14 had fire breath, but holy poo poo when it started charging up the first time. An unbelievable and exciting moment that lit my theater up.

It’s probably the single biggest nerd moment I’ve had at the movies. To me all the teases and cutaways were worth it just for that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That moment is pure masterclass film making. Sound, visuals, atmosphere, everything comes together - it's perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99jjRk0oxo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Whomp...whomp whomp whomp whomp WHOMPWHOMPWHOMPWHOMP

So good

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I particularly love the score, especially the moment when it rises just as he is about to do it, which is oddly absent from the album version.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

So say I'm going for a complete Godzilla collection on Blu-ray.

I can just skip Godzilla '98, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You're going for a complete Godzilla collection, so why are you asking about a Zilla movie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It belongs in the Varan Ghetto of lesser kaiju movies related to Godzilla.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Just go into it expecting a less racist bizarro-King Kong and I don't see a reason to get too hung up on it. It's a weird diversion from type and probably a very bad movie (I don't trust my 9-year-old-self's memories), but if those things made Godzilla films illegal there wouldn't be nearly as many of them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't say i've watched it once since it came out. I really should see it with "new eyes". It can't be any worse than Godzilla vs Gigan or All Monsters Attack.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I rewatched it last year and tbh i think the hate is overblown. Its not a good movie by any means but its not like the shittiest thing ever.

Honestly its weirder to me not because of godzilla being kind of flaccid but because emmerichs schtick of characters laughing it up as they accidently bomb buildings and stuff is just...insane to see post 9-11

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Toho sure does

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Godzilla 1998 is a perfectly ok kaiju movie. It’s just a remake of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (the American film that inspired Gojira), and not a Godzilla film proper.

Because it’s about a precursor to Godzilla, it’s best understood as a Godzilla prequel. Like if they made an entire movie about his doofy bug-eyed form in Shin Godzilla.

It’s also good to keep in mind that 98’s a satire of stupid American blockbusters, and Godzilla herself(?) is basically the protagonist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Godzilla 1998 is a perfectly ok kaiju movie. It’s just a remake of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (the American film that inspired Gojira), and not a Godzilla film proper.

Because it’s about a precursor to Godzilla, it’s best understood as a Godzilla prequel. Like if they made an entire movie about his doofy bug-eyed form in Shin Godzilla.

It’s also good to keep in mind that 98’s a satire of stupid American blockbusters, and Godzilla herself(?) is basically the protagonist.

Himself. The characters, at the least, gender Godzilla as a he, just a he that can have children.

And it mostly functions as a satire because the people behind it thought the whole idea was stupid and didn't want to make it to begin with, so they just did whatever goofy bullshit they could. It is possibly the most painfully Pre 9/11 films ever in that regard.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

...Like if they made an entire movie about his doofy bug-eyed form in Shin Godzilla.

I mean...

I'd watch that.

My biggest issue with 98 isn't that it was bad so much as it feels like no one involved in writing or directing it had seen any Godzilla movies and only had a general understanding of the very first movie.

I really didn't like the latest American one, but there was enough in there that I could tell that someone involved was a fan at the very least. A device that controls/interacts with Kaiju is right out of the Showa Era, and although they made the story needlessly complex, there's still something in there. 98 just felt like someone went, "Godzilla? That movie where the dinosaur stomps on poo poo? Yeah, I can write this."

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The film just wants to be Jurassic Park on steroids, even down to borrowing aesthetics and twisting the narrative into pretzels to justify its own version of the Velociraptor sequence. It fails at this and it is not even attempting to be a version of Godzilla.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's very successful at being a dumber Jurassic Park

Hell it's smarter than KotM

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The major problem with G98 is that it feels like a rough draft- there's a lot of flab that could be excised, jokes or scenes that go for a beat too long, and the fake-out with Godzilla's "death" from the submarines also works to the third act's detriment. I'm normally not interested in all the samizdat fan edits of Star Wars or The Hobbit that go around the internet but I feel like there's a good, tight thriller you could carve out of this one.

It is nicely shot and I like the weird goofy tone, with the heroes mostly being a bunch of misfit dorks. More than anything else I just love the monster- "proper" Godzilla or no it's a beauty of a design, that I don't think has been done justice elsewhere.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We talking about Zilla again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

Violator
May 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

And it mostly functions as a satire because the people behind it thought the whole idea was stupid and didn't want to make it to begin with, so they just did whatever goofy bullshit they could. It is possibly the most painfully Pre 9/11 films ever in that regard.

Any more on this? I would have thought that after ID4 that team could have made whatever in the world they wanted.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Godzilla '98 is a bad movie (like most of Emmerich's stuff), but I wouldn't even call it the worst Godzilla film of the 1990s.

Violator posted:

Any more on this? I would have thought that after ID4 that team could have made whatever in the world they wanted.

Of the two producers, Dean Devlin claims (at least nowadays) that he was always a fan of the Godzilla franchise and wanted to do it justice, but Emmerich had pretty open contempt for the old Japanese movies.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 31, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I mean...

I'd watch that.

My biggest issue with 98 isn't that it was bad so much as it feels like no one involved in writing or directing it had seen any Godzilla movies and only had a general understanding of the very first movie. [...]

98 just felt like someone went, "Godzilla? That movie where the dinosaur stomps on poo poo? Yeah, I can write this."

It’s because it’s an attempt at a re-adaptation rather than a straight remake. Gojira 1954 was famously a mix of Beast From 20,000 Fathoms and King Kong - and Zilla is even more heavily inspired by those two films. That’s why the film ends with Zilla shot dead by planes atop a New York landmark - and why the actual threat to mankind is not the monster itself, but a type of plague. (The idea of Godzilla spreading a disease in the form of smaller creatures that he sheds was also briefly used in Gojira 1984.)

Remove the Godzilla branding, and the same re-adaptation gives you Cloverfield - which literally contains subliminal images of Kong, Gojira, and the ‘Rhedosaurus’ from Beast.

So there’s a lot more cross-pollination than cultural purists are willing to admit. Zilla is simply an American Godzilla instead of Japanese. The movie’s based primarily on American Kaiju films, there’s not much nuclear stuff, and Zilla is effectively characterized as an immigrant to New York (from French Polynesia!). The story is about the legacy of colonialism more than anything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Violator posted:

Several directors had pitched Godzilla films (I want to say Renny Darlin and Jan DeBont?), but their proposals would have put the budget at around 100 million dollars, which, in '98, the studio balked at. Emmerich and Devlin were known for turning in heavy effects laden films for somewhat more reasonable costs. So they were approached about doing Godzilla, because hey, aliens and a giant lizard destroying cities are the same thing, right?

But E & D turned them down, several times, because they weren't interested in Godzilla. It wasn't until the studio said that they could do whatever they wanted that E & D finally agreed to make the film, which it how we got the '98 version. I remember E & D complaining that Toho was unreasonable to work with, because Toho said that Godzilla had to have three rows of spines on his back.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ah, thanks for the info guys. Makes sense.

Now that you mention it I remember reading the script for the IIRC Jan DeBont version. Godzilla awoke in some polar ice if I remember right, shades of KK v Godzilla, and there was a giant Griffin type monster.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
When you look at what the ‘98 crew were interested in, then you get a song they commissioned from Rage Against The Machine about how the monsters in reactionary Kaiju films are used to distract from the systemic problems that caused them (e.g. the Kaiju in Pacific Rim who appear because of climate change, and are triumphantly killed without the unresolved climate change issue ever coming up again).

Zilla is created and then killed because humans are just so loving stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 31, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

Zilla is created and then killed because humans are just so loving stupid.

Wasn't all of the damage actually caused by the US military flailing around trying to kill Zilla? I don't think he destroyed any buildings, he slithered around them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Violator posted:

Wasn't all of the damage actually caused by the US military flailing around trying to kill Zilla? I don't think he destroyed any buildings, he slithered around them.

He destroyed some stuff but it was very, very little.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gently caress Zilla, not for what he did but for the inevitable military backlash.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

the Kaiju in Pacific Rim who appear because of climate change

Is that in the comics or something?

Violator posted:

Didn't he hollow out a building to hide in?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Gripweed posted:

Is that in the comics or something?

one of the scientists says 'we've been terraforming the planet for them' in reference to industrialisation and co2 levels. it's just in the movie

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Didn't he hollow out a building to hide in?

That sounds right, I guess it’d be better to say he didn’t do any rampaging and the destruction was generally defensive or by accident.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/1300599986153906176?s=20

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

huh, that's...unexpected. I thought the scuttlebut was that the current Japanese rights-holders were not fans of MST3K's Gamera episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Arrow just did that huge Gamera set, so maybe the licensing relaxed a bit.