Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

This. If I look at my Net Worth graphs in the default 3mo span I feel like I'm getting little headway. Then I look at my year and

[Primary Checking vs all unsecured debt]

I sometimes feel like I've not been putting much away month-to-month, which subsequently makes it seem like I'm just treading water, but looking back, being able to take those triple paycheck months (and our year-in-advance tax credit) and socking the entire thing into the hole tells me I'm making headway.

Still hoping I can have this poo poo licked by the end of 2020. That would be real nice. I'm currently throwing at least $450/mo at this thing. That's just insane to me now. I could do so much with that. I mean, gently caress, that's another goddamn grocery bill, or a maxed IRA contribution. Hell, it's fifteen-goddamn-percent of my annual income.

I think more than anything, seeing that number at the top every time I open YNAB, that huge amount of dollars just going towards digging out of past bad decisions, it's like financial tinnitus, only eventually there's a cure.

Even those times where the networth graph looks flat you're still making progress, and the most critical thing of not going backwards. Remember it always seems slow paying off debt at the start but the repayments start accelerating (assuming there are interest charges in there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Credit card debt is now under $10k after hitting a high of $18k in September 2019.

Refinanced house and appraisal came in really high as well. Monthly payments lowered about $150 a month and we'll save about $50k over the course of the mortgage. I had enough equity after putting %10 down 2 years ago that my $20 PMI drops November of 2021.

So all in all we've had a good run and things are looking up. Also built savings account to $10k for the first time since I bought my house.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It has been several weeks since my last takeaway. I'm still a fat fucker but I am a slightly wealthier fat fucker.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
Been a while since my last update.

Last June my employer moved office and created an insane commute for a lot of folks, so I’ve started working from home four days a week. When I had to go in on the fifth day, it was roughly double my old commute, but still overall I’m saving about 60% of fuel and maintenance stuff.

Late fall of last year some shenanigans took place at my day job, but said shenanigans then resulted in my getting a pay bump from $83k to $100k, plus a $2k retention bonus if I stay with the company through at least the end of June.

I’m also working with a therapist for a variety of reasons, but one of which is my emotional problems related to food. Between that progress and the whole pandemic thing going on, I’m doing better at meal planning and may get to a point soon where I can do it reliably instead of once or twice a month before loving up.

Also also, I think since this is a three paycheck month, I’m gonna be able to knock out two credit cards on either this Friday or the next payday two weeks after.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm waiting to open palm slam the payment until June since I'm moving at the end of the month and need to make sure there isn't any security deposit/post-move "cleaning fee" or something like that, but I'm officially in three digits on my last student loan ($991.83) and ready to blast that sucker as soon as I'm fully moved out.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm waiting to open palm slam the payment until June since I'm moving at the end of the month and need to make sure there isn't any security deposit/post-move "cleaning fee" or something like that, but I'm officially in three digits on my last student loan ($991.83) and ready to blast that sucker as soon as I'm fully moved out.

Be ready for the security deposit thing, read your local rules around it and follow them. It likely says you have to ask for various things in writing, set calendar reminders about them. If they screw up, depending on their attitude, offer to settle for 100% or 300% of your security deposit back. Most rules summarize to something not unlike "reasonable fees" and "itemized bill" and "30 days" sorta stuff. A friend of ours managed to get a 300% settlement out of her slumlord because he was being a huge jerk instead of a more reasonable few hundred less than 100% for "professional cleaning service." You don't need to go nuclear up front, but a plainly worded letter hitting the key elements of the law is all it takes, this is a business relationship.

:toot: on the student loans.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
:yotj:
Doubling my comp. :getin:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

leper khan posted:

:yotj: Congrats.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

leper khan posted:

Hell YES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

leper khan posted:

aww yea

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

leper khan posted:

Aww yes! :toot:

It's a good feeling

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bought my first house 6 months ago, and now finally managed this

:toot:

Just a short 12 months now to complete my 10 years of payments under PSLF and I'll have my student loans forgiven too. Feels good man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Way to go. The feeling in 12 months is going to be super.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just paid off my student loan, am officially debt free, and also hit six digit net worth a few months back. The last year has been pretty poo poo but financially, it's been pretty great for me - started a new job in August that was a 100% increase in total comp, paid off my student loan, still comfortably saving for a mortgage, maxing out all my retirement accounts, etc. Here's hoping nothing goes off the rails!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just paid off my student loan, am officially debt free, and also hit six digit net worth a few months back. The last year has been pretty poo poo but financially, it's been pretty great for me - started a new job in August that was a 100% increase in total comp, paid off my student loan, still comfortably saving for a mortgage, maxing out all my retirement accounts, etc. Here's hoping nothing goes off the rails!

:toot: Awesome!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Congrats on the new job and not spending all your raise on funko pops!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

Out-loving-standing!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chaotic Flame posted:

hell yeah brother

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Today I hit what I think is a bit of a milestone. I've reduced my balance enough to have under $100 in interest, $96.91. Since May 2019, I have paid down $7543.09, current average of $538.79/mo.

Yeah most of my gains are "three check" months, and that $1200 of Trumpy Fun Bux certainly didn't hurt, but I was still able to take those windfalls and throw them in the hole. That's a win to me!

Next month I'll have paid off one of the BT cards, and will be throwing another $3500 at another BT offer on the same card. I'm almost certain that by the end of August I'll have cleared all interest-bearing unsecured debt, definitely will by the end of September.

After that, I'll get back to strict Rule 4 implementation (you can see where I toyed with that in early 2020, but decided the extra interest load was too much) and start paying extra on the car note to clear it away. No timeline on that yet, it's a bit far out and I'd like to see how my situation looks in September before setting anything in stone.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 14, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Today I hit what I think is a bit of a milestone. I've reduced my balance enough to have under $100 in interest, $96.91. Since May 2019, I have paid down $7543.09, current average of $538.79/mo.

Yeah most of my gains are "three check" months, and that $1200 of Trumpy Fun Bux certainly didn't hurt, but I was still able to take those windfalls and throw them in the hole. That's a win to me!

Next month I'll have paid off one of the BT cards, and will be throwing another $3500 at another BT offer on the same card. I'm almost certain that by the end of August I'll have cleared all interest-bearing unsecured debt, definitely will by the end of September.

After that, I'll get back to strict Rule 4 implementation (you can see where I toyed with that in early 2020, but decided the extra interest load was too much) and start paying extra on the car note to clear it away. No timeline on that yet, it's a bit far out and I'd like to see how my situation looks in September before setting anything in stone.

:toot: Budgeting for 24 checks and getting 26 checks and being diligent is a great way to knock out debt. Good job sticking to your plan.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Beach Bum posted:

Hell yeah man this is incredible

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Just broke 50k net worth the end of last month!!! I've really been doing so much better the last couple of years. I filled my 3 month emergency fund in cash last month too, I'm contributing 8 percent plus 4 percent match to my 401k (as of July, was 6 percent plus match before that), and 400/month to my IRA. Technically I should have maxed my Roth contribution first but I have great fund options in my 401k and I want to get in the habit of increasing it year on year.

Next move is gonna be to wipe out my student loans. I've been saving the money from what would have been my payments in a savings account during the interest deferral and I'm gonna make a lump sum payment in September/whenever interest deferral stops. The money that was for emergency savings (minus a nominal 50/month that's gonna keep going in to the account) is now going to the student loan.

I also have a sizeable travel/fun savings fund, but once I hit my target on that I'm gonna be deferring those savings to my student loan as well. It's low interest but I want it gone. Should be done by middle of next year, then shooting for 6 months on the emergency fund.

It took me a while to get a real handle on my finances, but everything is clicking really well now. This forum has helped me so much with financial stuff, thanks for all the free advice over the years!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Minor update, but exciting nonetheless: First credit card statement with no interest charges! Not really sure how, as I hadn't paid the card to zero yet, but they certainly weren't there.

5k (was once 13.8k) left to go.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 17, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

Minor update, but exciting nonetheless: First credit card statement with no interest charges! Not really sure how, as I hadn't paid the card to zero yet, but they certainly weren't there.

Well done!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

Usually the interest bearing portion is paid last, but I've had credit card companies make mistakes before with interest. So a win is a win.

There have been some great updates here over the past two months.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Beach Bum posted:

That's a great chunk taken out and you're so close to finishing it off! Congratulations :)

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I now need 2 commas in my "assets" category in mint, and my overall net worth isn't far off from needing an extra comma as well. :feelsgood:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DJCobol posted:

I now need 2 commas in my "assets" category in mint, and my overall net worth isn't far off from needing an extra comma as well. :feelsgood:

:toot: Good problems to have.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

DJCobol posted:

Are you Russ Hanneman?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Yup I am officially in "Pay statement in full" territory with 1000+ left in Checking. Only remaining items with interest are the mortgage (3.75%) and car note (5.84%).

Goddamn, that feels good. Not quite ready to put it on autopay but drat close.

Happy/sad but this will go even faster now that I've canceled my 401k contribution, due to my cash-strapped company canceling 401k match :suicide: [DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EDGE CASE YOU SHOULD ALMOST ALWAYS CONTRIBUTE TO GET FULL MATCH]

Some of this "extra" is probably going to get dumped into funding IT certs for my imminent career shift, but everyone else that's gotten canned in the last few years has gotten a nice severance package, so I'm going to attempt to ride it out. Also finding another 40k job with a mere high school diploma has proven... difficult, to say the least.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 7, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Beach Bum posted:

Yup I am officially in "Pay statement in full" territory with 1000+ left in Checking. Only remaining items with interest are the mortgage (3.75%) and car note (5.84%).

Goddamn, that feels good. Not quite ready to put it on autopay but drat close.

Happy/sad but this will go even faster now that I've canceled my 401k contribution, due to my cash-strapped company canceling 401k match :suicide: [DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EDGE CASE YOU SHOULD ALMOST ALWAYS CONTRIBUTE TO GET FULL MATCH]

Some of this "extra" is probably going to get dumped into funding IT certs for my imminent career shift, but everyone else that's gotten canned in the last few years has gotten a nice severance package, so I'm going to attempt to ride it out. Also finding another 40k job with a mere high school diploma has proven... difficult, to say the least.

Eh, I make a decent chunk of change without a degree. At some point experience matters more.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

freeasinbeer posted:

Eh, I make a decent chunk of change without a degree. At some point experience matters more.

Cool Anecdote.

Here is the data though: https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2019/median-weekly-earnings-606-for-high-school-dropouts-1559-for-advanced-degree-holders.htm

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 10, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Closed on a Refi today. Added about $2700 to my loan but the rate went from 4.75% to 3.125%. It will be like $85000 less in interest over the life of the loan (although doubt it will go that long...). Good times.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Also just signed closing docs on a refi, going from 3.875 to 2.69 on a 30 yr fixed. No points, ~$2500 in non prepaid costs. Brings the monthly down almost $500 and saves $150k over the life the loan. :hellyeah:

These rates are bananas, just last summer when I signed the original mortgage I thought 3.875 was crazy good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Guinness posted:

Also just signed closing docs on a refi, going from 3.875 to 2.69 on a 30 yr fixed. No points, ~$2500 in non prepaid costs. Brings the monthly down almost $500 and saves $150k over the life the loan. :hellyeah:

These rates are bananas, just last summer when I signed the original mortgage I thought 3.875 was crazy good.

Yeah that is awesome.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I know you Americans are all pretty happy with your sub-3% mortgages right now, but I just signed on a mortgage that is 1.3% for 2/3 of the loan, with the remainder at 1.81%. Thirty year mortgage with a ten year fixed rate period. I'll be able to change the rate term to thirty years at the same rates in one year.
The rate mix is due to some regulatory technicality that allows you to borrow just a little bit more if you hit a certain very specific rate/amount combination.

This is in the Netherlands. In Amsterdam, the most bubbly real estate market of the country.

So, yes, rates can get even lower.

And I will definitely fix those rates for the full term next year, because this party can't possibly go on forever

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I want a bank to give me money for taking a loan and buying a house with it. Let's get into negative costs like that tar-grade oil supply issue earlier this year.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Sundae posted:

I want a bank to give me money for taking a loan and buying a house with it. Let's get into negative costs like that tar-grade oil supply issue earlier this year.

Denmark awaits you! -0.5% for a 10 year fixed is a thing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Potrzebie posted:

Denmark awaits you! -0.5% for a 10 year fixed is a thing there.

drat, I'd move there if I hadn't just bought a new apartment.
Free money is a hell of an offer