Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Any one in the EU roast at home? I just moved to Denmark and have no idea what the best places to source green beans are, hoping to pick up a new roaster by the spring. Being 30 minutes away from Sweet Maria's will be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Macy's website currently has the OXO burr grinder on sale for $55. Probably the best electric grinder you'll get at the under $100 price right now. They also have their variable temp gooseneck kettle for $55. I'm grabbing one.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/oxo-conical-burr-coffee-grinder?ID=10337016

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/oxo-adjustable-temperature-gooseneck-tea-kettle?ID=10337017&CategoryID=22672

Make sure click on the "apply the code" button before checkout to get the correct price.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 26, 2020

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Mu Zeta posted:

The Macy's website currently has the OXO burr grinder on sale for $55. Probably the best electric grinder you'll get at the under $100 price right now. They also have their variable temp gooseneck kettle for $55. I'm grabbing one.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/oxo-conical-burr-coffee-grinder?ID=10337016

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/oxo-adjustable-temperature-gooseneck-tea-kettle?ID=10337017&CategoryID=22672

Make sure click on the "apply the code" button before checkout to get the correct price.

So if I was going to buy a grinder, jump on this asap? Or get the $150 one everyone suggests on here?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you have a $150 I'd grab the Baratza Encore, or see if you can get a refurb on their site but it's not mega savings.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How is that kettle? I'm not picky about the variability of temp but I would like one that maintains a steady heat while I'm, say, waiting through a bloom

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I bought it from a goon a while back and haven't had any issues. It's quick to get a lot of water to temp and it keeps it there as long as it's on the base. I haven't used the timer so I can't speak to that feature.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

If you have a $150 I'd grab the Baratza Encore, or see if you can get a refurb on their site but it's not mega savings.

I'm tempted to grab one but my last Macy order just didn't show. Shipped with no tracking number and could never get ahold of anyone to figure out what happened. Phone call support didn't exist and emails were never returned. Had to do a chargeback

Gunder
May 22, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

Anybody try the Cafec roast specific filters? Sprometheus made a video review of them that almost looks too good to be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIKSvEtBfyw

Just got mine today. Used a light roast paper with the last of my Mooleh Manay Natural from India. It's a single estate coffee and pretty unusual, lots of cherry and plum notes. These papers run a little fast, so I'm told, so I reduced the grind size down a couple of notches and let it go through the normal Hoffmann V60 method. I ended up grinding slightly too fine, as the brew finished about 20 seconds too slow, so I was expecting over-extracted bitterness, but there's none at all. Instead the coffee tastes more or less perfect, maybe I'd even brew a little hotter next time and see what happens. I just wish the coffee was a little fresher, instead of the last of the beans. Unfortunately, I'm out of filter coffee now too, so I can't brew a second cup, but when my new stuff finishes resting I'll definitely be keen to give it another go.

It is pretty surprising that there was zero bitterness from the long extraction. It was maybe one of the smoothest tasting coffees I've ever had, in fact. My standard Hario papers would definitely have gotten pretty bitter with that brew time.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gunder posted:

Just got mine today. Used a light roast paper with the last of my Mooleh Manay Natural from India. It's a single estate coffee and pretty unusual, lots of cherry and plum notes. These papers run a little fast, so I'm told, so I reduced the grind size down a couple of notches and let it go through the normal Hoffmann V60 method. I ended up grinding slightly too fine, as the brew finished about 20 seconds too slow, so I was expecting over-extracted bitterness, but there's none at all. Instead the coffee tastes more or less perfect, maybe I'd even brew a little hotter next time and see what happens. I just wish the coffee was a little fresher, instead of the last of the beans. Unfortunately, I'm out of filter coffee now too, so I can't brew a second cup, but when my new stuff finishes resting I'll definitely be keen to give it another go.

It is pretty surprising that there was zero bitterness from the long extraction. It was maybe one of the smoothest tasting coffees I've ever had, in fact. My standard Hario papers would definitely have gotten pretty bitter with that brew time.

Thanks for the review. Just ordered a pack of light and a pack of medium.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

So I tried this Kona Coffee. It was pretty good, something that I think is better when drinking black. I think the cream brings it down. I知 also getting a burr so I hope that will improve the experience.

The one thing I will say is the price is pretty high, this was $60 including shipping for 8oz. Conversely I could get like a decent bunch of beans from Costco for like $10-15 for 2lbs. So I値l save the Hawaiian stuff for special drink time. My taste/pallet is not so refined that I think I can properly say it was worth the money but it was good.

Also supposedly beans from volcanic regions is supposed to be good but I知 sure that痴 partly marketing hype.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gatts posted:

So I tried this Kona Coffee. It was pretty good, something that I think is better when drinking black. I think the cream brings it down. I知 also getting a burr so I hope that will improve the experience.

The one thing I will say is the price is pretty high, this was $60 including shipping for 8oz. Conversely I could get like a decent bunch of beans from Costco for like $10-15 for 2lbs. So I値l save the Hawaiian stuff for special drink time. My taste/pallet is not so refined that I think I can properly say it was worth the money but it was good.

Also supposedly beans from volcanic regions is supposed to be good but I知 sure that痴 partly marketing hype.

Holy gently caress. That would give me 3.5 pots of coffee out of my techinivorm. $15/pot about.

Fuuuuuck that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gatts posted:

So I tried this Kona Coffee. It was pretty good, something that I think is better when drinking black. I think the cream brings it down. I’m also getting a burr so I hope that will improve the experience.

The one thing I will say is the price is pretty high, this was $60 including shipping for 8oz. Conversely I could get like a decent bunch of beans from Costco for like $10-15 for 2lbs. So I’ll save the Hawaiian stuff for special drink time. My taste/pallet is not so refined that I think I can properly say it was worth the money but it was good.

Also supposedly beans from volcanic regions is supposed to be good but I’m sure that’s partly marketing hype.

$60 on a half pound of coffee with a blade grinder? We have a winner.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Gatts posted:

Generally speaking, most blends and single origin / single estate stuff from third wave coffee roasters runs about 15 to 25 bucks a pound in the US. 60 bucks for a half pound must make that coffee pretty exceptional!

Some of the observations you put in (drinking better black, grind type etc) do mean you probably have a pretty good coffee, so I'm curious to hear back when you pick up a new grinder if your opinion has changed for the better/worse.

Bean properties can be influenced by their environment as well as roast profile and grind / prep method, so there could be a lot of factors there. The only time I've personally had Kona coffee was as a marketing gimmick, so I think it is mostly hype (I hear Kona is a lovely place) but also there may be some critical tasting notes surrounding it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gatts posted:

Different soils, especially volcanic indeed have big effects on the taste of the coffee, which is why coffees from different regions all taste different. The coffee plant itself is pretty much the same species everywhere.

Also, don稚 save it too long. Coffee tastes best 2 or so days after roasting and goes down from there.

And you paid way too much money holy poo poo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the feedback!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you want to buy expensive novelty coffee I'd try to get the stuff grown in unusual places like California.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Gesha is what you want to be buying for expensive coffee or the experimental stuff but Jesus Christ don't do that unless you have nailed down all the other variables of making good coffee.

1. Water
2. Grind
3. Technique

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with trying fancy beans even if all the other stuff doesn't quite line up, but figuring out why you like it (cost bias aside) will help in identifying and exploring more beans, often in places you might be surprised you like. For example, beans that tend to come from the Americas tend to have a certain style versus beans that come from Southeast Asia and Africa. With the current climate, it's a bit difficult to really try a lot of coffees at once, but you could consider for the price of a USD $60 bag a coffee subscription.

There are places out there like Angel's Cup which targets specifically tasting and increasing exposure to different coffees, which I liked when I tried them a few years ago. They'll send three beans with only numeric codes to them, and you prepare and taste each one and then using their app or whatnot you can reveal what you actually tasted. This way, you can remove some regional bias ("Kona? I thought that's what I tasted!") and zero in on the flavors and roasts you do like.

Of course, a normal coffee subscription like Trade will also get you similar results, but the quantities are usually one 12 to 16oz bag at a time, but it's all freshly roasted. You can get it preground too (they grind at the roaster) for your preparation method type, which isn't ideal, but will help resolve that bit in the short term.

How do you prepare your coffee usually now? You mention cream and such, but do you use an automated drip machine, pourover setup, French press, etc.?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Munkaboo posted:

Gesha is what you want to be buying for expensive coffee or the experimental stuff but Jesus Christ don't do that unless you have nailed down all the other variables of making good coffee.

1. Water
2. Grind
3. Technique

I accidentally bought Geisha beans today. $30 NZD for 250g. They are delicious though so it痴 not all bad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Red_Fred posted:

I accidentally bought Geisha beans today. $30 NZD for 250g. They are delicious though so it’s not all bad.

Which roaster are they from?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

I accidentally bought Geisha beans today. $30 NZD for 250g. They are delicious though so it’s not all bad.

Happy accidents

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Red_Fred posted:

I did the same with my first espresso machine

Was very surprised by them, especially considering I didn't know what gesha was and was all like

"Are these extracting right? What's this flavour?"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the subject of very different espressos - I bought a bag of Dragonfly Leam Hammer (https://dragonflycoffeeroasters.com/products/emmas-jo-the-leam-hammer-blend-12-oz-whole-bean) and its the most floral thing I've ever tasted / smelled. Super cool to pull out when friends are over, but not as a daily thing.

I thought the Dragonfly Crema Dolce was pretty overrated for the hype it has on HB, but I thought the Red Bird Blue Jaguar that gets so much love lived up to it in terms of being drinkable as a daily latte. Also, Red Bird comes in pound bags unlike basically everything else that is 3/4lb for the same price.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 29, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery, completely unrelated, do you grind your aeropress and french press coffee with your ROK grinder? What setting do you use?

I'm using 11-13 for aeropress.
For french press, the manual suggests something in the 20s, but that is vastly finer than what other people and I used with the Hario; what we used there looked more like a 33 or 35 on the ROK.

(It's not that my coffee tastes bad right now, but when I switch beans and I wanna get the most out of them I'd like to know whether I'm on the finer or coarser end of the range)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

Jestery, completely unrelated, do you grind your aeropress and french press coffee with your ROK grinder? What setting do you use?

I'm using 11-13 for aeropress.
For french press, the manual suggests something in the 20s, but that is vastly finer than what other people and I used with the Hario; what we used there looked more like a 33 or 35 on the ROK.

(It's not that my coffee tastes bad right now, but when I switch beans and I wanna get the most out of them I'd like to know whether I'm on the finer or coarser end of the range)

Not at the moment

Best laid plans , and routine momentum have buggered my earlier plan

I keep my aeropress at work and have a seperate grinder for it there

I have a hario skerton next to my French press as it is just a less fiddly , and more practiced process when I just wake up

And my ROK grinder and ROK presso both hang out on the counter top. I'm still learning how to dial in so I don't want to dick about with the setting too much.

My grinder doesn't have numbers on it so I have no idea about where the setting is, if it did I would probably feel more confident playing with it

https://i.imgur.com/qJwnXc8.jpg

Long story short, individual grinder for each process

https://i.imgur.com/xlvPlK7.jpg

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

Not at the moment

Best laid plans , and routine momentum have buggered my earlier plan

I keep my aeropress at work and have a seperate grinder for it there

I have a hario skerton next to my French press as it is just a less fiddly , and more practiced process when I just wake up

And my ROK grinder and ROK presso both hang out on the counter top. I'm still learning how to dial in so I don't want to dick about with the setting too much.

My grinder doesn't have numbers on it so I have no idea about where the setting is, if it did I would probably feel more confident playing with it

https://i.imgur.com/qJwnXc8.jpg

Long story short, individual grinder for each process

https://i.imgur.com/xlvPlK7.jpg

Ah I see.

They stopped putting numbers on the wheel so yours and mine are both unnumbered. Only way to measure coarseness is to tighten the wheel all the way in, and then count the notches while you're rotating out.

It's still a more straightforward process than on the Skeleton (Plus) that I have.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ah I see.

It's still a more straightforward process than on the Skeleton (Plus) that I have.

Very true, not having an indexing point for 0 means it's a very intuitive, implicit style of adjustment "more coarse , more fine"

It is nice to just click it onces of twice to the left and have a significant increase in quality, even If I don't know what it is set to

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I feel like I notice the subtler flavor of a 22 dollar coffee compared to a 16 dollar coffee from the same roaster, but maybe I'm deluding myself

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's probably just the coffee varietal that tastes different.

That's why I prefer blends. I want my coffee to taste the same every day. I want it to taste like coffee flavored ice cream.

:geno:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Used to pass by a roaster on the way into work and would routinely buy fancy beans to have in my morning coffee

When I started doing this I started think

"Huh tastes a bit like cherry pits"

And the penny dropped and I realised that this sort of tasting is super why some people get into coffee

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I just end up trying to chase the most fruit-forward natural process coffees possible. I keep a bag of that and a bag of something closer to the chocolate end of the spectrum so that I have my major bases covered. I haven't liked many of the more floral or tea-like beans I've tried.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Whereas I'm super into the tea-like, floral stuff I get from African coffees. Coffee is great.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Speaking of naturals just bought 3lbs of this and am pumped

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dry-process-sidama-hamasho-6594.html

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The Coffee Thread: Big Naturals

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

RichterIX posted:

The Coffee Thread: Big Naturals

winner right here

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gunder posted:

Just made a cup with the light roast filter and a Huehuetenango Guatemala that is about 3.5 weeks old. Ground about two notches finer on my Lido E, finished dead nuts on 3:30. I noticed the same things you did, very low bitterness, but a bit more astringency. This coffee is generally very well balanced with chocolate/nuts and acidic fruitiness, and this filter definitely made it a lot fruitier than the regular V60 filters. It might work better with the Medium roast filter so I値l try that next.

Also interesting that the light roast filters are incredibly thin. The 100 count package of light roast filters is literally half the size as the 100 count package of medium roast filters.

Overall a big improvement and I don稚 think I値l be going back to Hario filters.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Any consensus on cheaper/more affordable espresso distribution tools? Namely, this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082MKVYFV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AS3CFYMJLW7FE&psc=1

There aren't enough reviews for me to know if it's worth it--I'm mainly using hand/paperclip techniques to break up the clumps and uneven distribution from my Rancilio Rocky.

SCG only has one tool on their site and it's $150 so suffice to say I'd rather look for cheaper alternatives.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Abner Assington posted:

Any consensus on cheaper/more affordable espresso distribution tools? Namely, this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082MKVYFV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AS3CFYMJLW7FE&psc=1

There aren't enough reviews for me to know if it's worth it--I'm mainly using hand/paperclip techniques to break up the clumps and uneven distribution from my Rancilio Rocky.

SCG only has one tool on their site and it's $150 so suffice to say I'd rather look for cheaper alternatives.

I use it for grooming only and tamping is with another doohickey I have. It works fine and has a decent level of adjustment, I got the version that fits 51mm baskets. Take care to clean the rim of the groomer after use since grounds get stuck there, I just use a brush before reuse.

I am still very new at espresso but I find it helps to use before tamping so I can press down on a mostly even coffee bed. I can't say conclusively I pulled better shots using it, but anecdotally I feel it helped.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, I have a separate tamper I'd use that I bought with my Silvia, not realizing that Rancilio upgraded the tamper they pack with it since most sites still showed the plastic piece of poo poo one.

I'm also considering jumping to a Rocket Appartamento now and selling my Silvia.

Home coffee is getting expensive over here, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you're willing to forego the warranty you can get a much nicer dual boiler shipped to the us from italy for us appartamento price, or you could watch the chris coffee sales page for a floor model of something you're interested in popping up. I bought a vetrano 2b evo floor model from them a few months ago and have been very happy for the price ($2300 shipped)