Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Weka posted:

The historic range of the wisent, extending to... FINLAND!!?!

1 isn't true, Saami aren't fencing reindeer and if you can milk it and use it for carrying things imo it's domesticated.
2. I don't think this works for pigs.
3. You don't need record keeping to eat the aggressive ones and keep the chill ones.

The Saami do indeed practice fencing as they need it for the marking of newborn calves, the taming of the lead reindeer, and keeping the male flock during winter.

Pigs likewise have a hierarchical social structure that humans can take advantage of, it's somewhat matriarchal which might be where your confusion comes from.

You do need record keeping though to do so with the kind of efficiency domestication needs. Remember that domestication in effect requires a lot of incest. If a species breeds too slowly Pop can't tell Junior who sired who so he can "double-up" on those traits. If the breeding cycle is too long it becomes difficult to fit in human memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

euphronius posted:

They could just go down the Red Sea to get to the Indian Ocean tho.

Or the Persian gulf even

Isn't the red sea super full of reefs and hazards and stuff?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

maybe but shipping channels aren't hard to dredge and we've been doing poo poo like that for thousands of years.

The reason the dutch sailed south africa wasn't for expediency. it was because they didn't have access to the red sea or persian gulf.

Romans could certainly have done it, but there would need to be something worthwhile down there. They controlled access to the red sea so why would they need to sail around Africa?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Alhazred posted:

Roman children wasn't named in the order in which they were born, but after the month they was born in. Quinctius didn't get his name because he was the fifth child but because he was born in july.

Yeah Japanese children were named in the way the comic references but not Romans. The author is probably just conflating the two.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CommonShore posted:

the romans sent large trade fleets to india from egypt on a regular basis for a very long time. it's one of those things that's sort of glossed over unless you dig deep enough, but all of the grain from the nile was not the only reason egypt was the most valued province in the empire.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

galagazombie posted:

The Saami do indeed practice fencing as they need it for the marking of newborn calves, the taming of the lead reindeer, and keeping the male flock during winter.

Pigs likewise have a hierarchical social structure that humans can take advantage of, it's somewhat matriarchal which might be where your confusion comes from.

You do need record keeping though to do so with the kind of efficiency domestication needs. Remember that domestication in effect requires a lot of incest. If a species breeds too slowly Pop can't tell Junior who sired who so he can "double-up" on those traits. If the breeding cycle is too long it becomes difficult to fit in human memory.

IIRC domesticated livestock are dumb as rocks and do plenty of incest even if you try to stop them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

galagazombie posted:

The Saami do indeed practice fencing as they need it for the marking of newborn calves

For a second you had me thinking they were marking the calves Zorro style

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah Japanese children were named in the way the comic references but not Romans. The author is probably just conflating the two.

It's a common myth that the romans did it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

galagazombie posted:

I think it’s easy to over emphasize how much of domestication was an active intentional process. Frankly I suspect domestication was much more similar in most species how people in this thread have describe the process for cats. Especially when we talk about dogs, even today most dogs breed uncontrolled and if they even have a master, they do still still have to defend themselves, mate and forage somewhat independently. Of course when we think about dogs today we usually think about, you know pugs and stuff, created in England. We don’t think about all the scraggly hordes village dogs living on the outskirts of town in India or China or Mexico. But when we talk about dog evolution it’s the latter situation that would’ve been more typical throughout the whole breath of history.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

One thing I think worth noting is how many domestic animal still have an instinct to carry themselves away and hide during the process of childbirth. For a stray dog or cat this isn’t just a relic instinct in my opinion. Many cases they are actively taking steps to hide and protect their young from humans. Because they have specifically adapted to protect their young from humans that may try and destroy unwanted puppies or kittens. Don’t assume the animal was purely a passive subject in the process of domestication.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A+ avatar/post combo

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They are also super duper vulnerable for a very long time during childbirth, if you're a cat living on the fringes of human society i would guess that a much bigger existential threat is getting killed while you're giving babies and not humans taking your kittens away.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

IIRC domesticated livestock are dumb as rocks and do plenty of incest even if you try to stop them.

the lizard people have trained us well

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Squalid posted:

One thing I think worth noting is how many domestic animal still have an instinct to carry themselves away and hide during the process of childbirth. For a stray dog or cat this isn’t just a relic instinct in my opinion. Many cases they are actively taking steps to hide and protect their young from humans. Because they have specifically adapted to protect their young from humans that may try and destroy unwanted puppies or kittens. Don’t assume the animal was purely a passive subject in the process of domestication.

I seriously doubt that they are protecting young from humans as much as from predators in general.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

I seriously doubt that they are protecting young from humans as much as from predators in general.

From the viewpoint of a stray cat, Humans are predators. That those weird-rear end looking monsters are sometimes not totally evil must just be confusing for them.

This reminds me of a story a goon shared in one of the cat threads. He one day found the secret place under a tree a cat used to hide her kittens and put food out for the mother. His dumbass neighbors found the same place and decided on a whim that they wanted a kitten. Just one, though!

So they wandered in when the mother was out hunting for food and just snatched one of the kittens. They had no idea how to care for a kitten and it was too young anyway, so it soon died. They apparently even buried the dead kitten in their garden, not that far away from the other kittens, which just makes this even more monstrous.

The mother of course came back to find one kitten mysteriously missing and decided it must just be wandering around somewhere? I don't know, I'm not a catologist, but apparently because no visible predator was there and the other kittens were left unharmed, she must have believed her kitten must still be alive and somewhere near. She spend several nights frantically searching for her missing baby, including very loudly calling for it.

I can't remember what the goon did after that pointless kitten killing, but the core of the story is clear: Humans are dangerous, protect your kittens!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Libluini posted:

From the viewpoint of a stray cat, Humans are predators. That those weird-rear end looking monsters are sometimes not totally evil must just be confusing for them.

That's my point. Cats aren't just concerned about humans, they're wary of ALL predators, of which humans are just a sub-set.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

You do to get past Cape Bojador.

Cape Bojador is actually quite deadly. The winds quite suddenly start to carry you further across the Sahara Coast or outwards into the Atlantic. There is scant water or food to be found in the West Sahara, so ships rounding the cape have no ability to resupply on the long voyage back.

The trick of sailing way into the Central Atlantic and then cutting East at the Azores is not obvious, and it's difficult to imagine a ship crew making such a decision in a crisis. Especially if the Azores are unknown to them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

That's my point. Cats aren't just concerned about humans, they're wary of ALL predators, of which humans are just a sub-set.

Welp, sorry. Completely misinterpreted what you were saying.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I didn't know about Roman naming and months until I just read it.

I assumed it was the first couple of kids get real names and then it's just "another kid? gently caress it you're called 4th, 5th, 6th etc"

Somehow just naming them after the month they were born in seems just as bad.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I know this isn't quite the right thread for this, so sorry.

I'm looking to read more about Arthurian Legend / Matter of Britain.

I'm not so much looking for the stories themselves, but a discussion about how they evolved and branched. Aimed at the lay person, rather than something scholarly.

Any recommendations?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FightingMongoose posted:

I'm not so much looking for the stories themselves, but a discussion about how they evolved and branched. Aimed at the lay person, rather than something scholarly.

Any recommendations?

I don't know about a book, but Arthur was likely based on one of the first people to take charge after Roman abandonment. Camelot may be an anglicization of the Roman Camulodunum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FightingMongoose posted:

Any recommendations?

I got u fam

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881

(I'm doing a similar thread on Robin Hood now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934938 )

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 27, 2020

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
Amazing, thanks.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

very interesting summary of the situation in Britain after the Romans left:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3OUm7FiXIY

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm reading a book called Spartan Women and in it the author is talking about Plutarch who held contradictory views on how he preferred things be done with regards to women, Spartan vs. Roman. Th author claims it was custom to marry girls off in Rome at about 12 so they could be molded into the perfect wife as they grew up. Is this true?

It reminds me of discussions I had way back when I read A Song of Ice and Fire, people online talking about how the idea adult men were loving 13-year-old girls and impregnating them like happened with Dany is idiotic and unrealistic. I mean, the idea this was an institutionalized practice is supposedly idiotic and ahistorical.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm reading a book called Spartan Women and in it the author is talking about Plutarch who held contradictory views on how he preferred things be done with regards to women, Spartan vs. Roman. Th author claims it was custom to marry girls off in Rome at about 12 so they could be molded into the perfect wife as they grew up. Is this true?

It reminds me of discussions I had way back when I read A Song of Ice and Fire, people online talking about how the idea adult men were loving 13-year-old girls and impregnating them like happened with Dany is idiotic and unrealistic. I mean, the idea this was an institutionalized practice is supposedly idiotic and ahistorical.

I'm not sure about Roman custom but anybody who thinks that institutionalized child marriage is implausible doesn't know anything about the issue. In many places today, let alone the past, 13 year olds getting married is completely normal. Yemen for example:

Familes increasingly resort to child marriage as Yemen's war grinds on

quote:

Child marriage has long been a scourge in Yemen, one of the few countries in the region without a legal minimum age of marriage. In a 2013 survey, nearly 32 per cent of women, aged 20 to 24, said they were married before reaching 18, and more than 9 per cent were married younger than 15.

One issue that complicates the matter, and sounds kinda like what you say Plutarch described, is idk what to call it, maybe a custodial marriage? That is if you marry someone that 12 or younger, you still don't have the right to sleep with them. Not until they have come of legal age. That legal age might be something like 13 or whatever. In that way it is almost more equivalent to an engagement.

Of course, in many places such customs are practiced there is no authority to actually enforce age of consent laws. In the remote hills of Afghanistan or Yemen there are no police to check up on a child's welfare, or if they do exist they'd probably refuse to do anything about it, seeing the practice as normal. That obviously creates a lot of unfortunate situations like those described in the link.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There was presumably also a large variety in marriage ages. We have plenty of records of women not marrying until their 20s in societies where marrying before 15 was normal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I think nearly everything we DO know is usually the practices of the upper classes, middle at best, where marriages are often basically a property transaction.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There's a fair amount known about Roman marriages and sex lives for a variety of classes. In particular, girls came of age and were marriageable at 12 and boys at 14, but typically married in their late teens or early 20s. Elites married younger and the girls were expected to be virgins. There were a wide variety of marriage types and divorce was quite possible for both genders, and daughters could apparently legitimately refuse marriage based on the character of the suitor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_ancient_Rome

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_in_ancient_Rome

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://duckofminerva.com/2020/08/we-all-suffer-if-the-field-is-parochial.html

on narrow definitions of the origin of universities posted:

Example 1: When and Where Did Universities Originate?

First, let me start over 20 years ago, when a colleague commented that the University of Bologna was the oldest university in the world, founded in 1088. I responded naively that in 682, the Korean Silla dynasty established the Royal Confucian Academy, with instruction in science, mathematics, Confucian Classics, history, and Chinese literature; in Japan, a Confucian Academy was established around 671, with instruction in the Confucian Classics, calligraphy, law, mathematics, medicine, and Chinese language. Obviously in China the academies were far older than that.

My friend replied, reasonably, that a university is a Western invention and so the Asian examples don’t count. I responded, just as reasonably, that by any definition these were institutions of higher learning that had entrance examinations, institutionalized curricula, extensive libraries, formal academic ranks, and held the sum total of knowledge at the time...

This article brings up...or well, more like articulates from start to finish requiring no further elaboration from me, something that has really bothered me for a while. I'm not sure I have a further point than going yeah! :arghfist: but I wanted to see if anyone else has an opinion. So many definitions for these kinds of institutions/terms seem almost purposefully exclusionary, it's peculiar how widespread they still are.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, the idea this was an institutionalized practice is supposedly idiotic and ahistorical.

It’s not even that far back in the US on my dad’s side my grandmother was married and gave birth to my dad at 14. We are not even 100 years out from that in many places in the US, hell there are places that might not be 50 years away from not uncommon child marriages.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Wasn't marrying minors (either 14 - 15 years old, I can't remember exactly) made illegal in Florida like within the past decade? I'm not sure why it's crazy that people would have done it thousands of years ago.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Visited the Greek theater and surrounding attractions in Siracusa today. Holy moly it’s impressive. Coin collectors would love the museum too. It’s got a great collection of intact hordes of coins displayed together.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sarrisan posted:

Wasn't marrying minors (either 14 - 15 years old, I can't remember exactly) made illegal in Florida like within the past decade? I'm not sure why it's crazy that people would have done it thousands of years ago.

Former two time Alabama Supreme Court Justice and former Senatorial candidate for the Republican party Roy Moore was notoriously known for banging teenagers and in his 30s was banned from the local mall due to his constant trolling for young women. His wife was a teenager when they first started dating, iirc.

Ted Nugent also married a teenager. In many states it is still very legal.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

https://duckofminerva.com/2020/08/we-all-suffer-if-the-field-is-parochial.html

This article brings up...or well, more like articulates from start to finish requiring no further elaboration from me, something that has really bothered me for a while. I'm not sure I have a further point than going yeah! :arghfist: but I wanted to see if anyone else has an opinion. So many definitions for these kinds of institutions/terms seem almost purposefully exclusionary, it's peculiar how widespread they still are.

are you really surprised that anything western is racist?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Miss Broccoli posted:

are you really surprised that anything western is racist?

You could really just replace western with anything.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Former two time Alabama Supreme Court Justice and former Senatorial candidate for the Republican party Roy Moore was notoriously known for banging teenagers and in his 30s was banned from the local mall due to his constant trolling for young women. His wife was a teenager when they first started dating, iirc.

Ted Nugent also married a teenager. In many states it is still very legal.

I mean, 19 year olds are still teenagers.Thats legal pretty much worldwide.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmegin posted:

I mean, 19 year olds are still teenagers.Thats legal pretty much worldwide.

y r u rules lawyering loving teenagers

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Got a question: Is idealizing/fetishizing ancient Rome some kind of alt-right dog-whistle these days?

I am running into people who claim Rome fell because they stopped integrating immigrants/foreigner properly and that it was safer to physically travel from France to Syria during Roman Empire than it was today elsewhere on the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not necessarily, but there are a bunch of white supremacists who idolize Rome, yeah. It's unfortunate. Also loving stupid since Rome was the most inclusive society of the classical world and derived much of its strength through immigration and integration of all comers, but nobody said white supremacists were smart.

There's also a thing where some people who are into the ERE are sometimes really just racist against Turkish people or generally Islamophobic. It sucks, OP.