Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Oh no not the Green Party

This was gonna be their year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

I don’t understand either but understanding there is a problem while being extremely wrong about the causes or solutions is definitely typical of the right.

E.g. Problem: People can’t get healthcare
The left: The cause is the capitalist system and the solution is universal healthcare.
Libs: There is no problem.
The right: The cause is foreigners and minorities and the solution is facism.

The right description is fair, but I don't know anyone liberal who thinks our healthcare system is in good shape.

It feels weird existing in Texas politics where Medicaid expansion makes you a radical at txlege...the fact it even got a hearing last session was astounding. We have our AG suing to end the ACA. We can't even get Republican lawmakers to accept the idea that new mothers shouldn't die in childbirth, or that low-income children losing Medicaid isn't a good thing. But then on the other end, your friends argue that if a Democrat proposes a public option within a universal health care structure (even as a transition step to Medicare-for-all), then they are a centrist shill who hates the poor and thus both parties are equally bad. I definitely see huge flaws in having any private system, but there's just a huge disconnect between the political reality of Texas and my Facebook feed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there are actually people in this very thread who are fine with a profit-based, employer-based health insurance system

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

i say swears online posted:

there are actually people in this very thread who are fine with a profit-based, employer-based health insurance system

Yeah, this is a D&D thread, not C-SPAM.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I really dont see how anyone who watched so much of the country lose their jobs, and thus health insurance, in the middle of a pandemic could be happy with employer based insurance. We're literally looking at its weakness crippling the country in a worst case scenario right now.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Out the employer based posters.

That is the biggest and most glaring flaw with the healthcare system. Lose your job? gently caress you, you're at higher risk of death now.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
A huge chunk of the country is convinced that the way things work in America is the best way because America is the best and that’s why it works that way here. No it doesn’t matter what the subject at hand is, things cannot possibly be better somewhere else.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

as a member of the permanent barnacle underclass i've never lost health insurance from being unemployed because i've never had a job with a health plan :smugdon:

edit to go personal a bit, i joined the army explicitly for healthcare in 2008, got signed up for supposed world-standard tricare, and left the army 5 digits in debt because my doctor had an incentive to not inform me that a lot of stuff wasn't covered

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 29, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/dwayne_bohac/status/1299069450948358147?s=21

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is why we'll never get rid of voter suppression in this country, because even though it's used against them, Democrats still want to keep it around to use against others.

FoolyCharged posted:

I really dont see how anyone who watched so much of the country lose their jobs, and thus health insurance, in the middle of a pandemic could be happy with employer based insurance. We're literally looking at its weakness crippling the country in a worst case scenario right now.

Because it makes health insurance into a status marker, if you have it you're better than people who don't.

If everyone gets it you're not special anymore.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jewelshepard/status/1299479698167091200?s=20

:thunk:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

This is why we'll never get rid of voter suppression in this country, because even though it's used against them, Democrats still want to keep it around to use against others.

approach a party-line democrat in a deep-red state about a proportional-representation system and watch them recoil in horror. pelosi is just as evil as mcconnell in keeping alternative views out of the mainstream

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Voter fraud but not like you think

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

approach a party-line democrat in a deep-red state about a proportional-representation system and watch them recoil in horror. pelosi is just as evil as mcconnell in keeping alternative views out of the mainstream

Yeah it's great, everyone complains about the two party system and how much it sucks to always have to choose between two evils, but let someone offer a good alternative and they scream for it to be banned because we need to protect the two evil parties we have

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

angrymaking response tweet aside, this is Very Good.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

for sure if it wasn't for Nancy Pelosi keeping them down the Greens would be on their way to the white house

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

angrymaking response tweet aside, this is Very Good.

it'll get appealed and struck down lol, don't get your hopes up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

for sure if it wasn't for Nancy Pelosi keeping them down the Greens would be on their way to the white house

executive systems aside, you cannot deny that the texas house switching to a PR system would benefit good-faith discourse, at the very least, in the most liberal sense

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

executive systems aside, you cannot deny that the texas house switching to a PR system would benefit good-faith discourse, at the very least, in the most liberal sense

it would but what happened was the dems kicking the green party off the ballot for a statewide position, not tom perez personally putting a stake through texas' nascent proportional representation system

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

it would but what happened was the dems kicking the green party off the ballot for a statewide position, not tom perez personally putting a stake through texas' nascent proportional representation system

you don't think these individual actions have continually reinforcing effects? they're now institutional and are that much harder to change

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Liberals who could turn leftist but don't generally suffer from a terminal case of a lack of imagination. They can't conceive of a better world and thus think that even the most modest proposition from their left is utopian thinking doomed to fail. This is only one of their problems.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

this doesn't seem to be a serious objection, and reads more like trolling and trying to provoke people

you could make the same argument for say, Republicans banning Democrats from running for statewide positions, since they won't win anyway, yet I bet you wouldn't be ok with that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

this doesn't seem to be a serious objection, and reads more like trolling and trying to provoke people

you could make the same argument for say, Republicans banning Democrats from running for statewide positions, since they won't win anyway, yet I bet you wouldn't be ok with that

*pritzker donates $50m to Make Ballots Blue PAC*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Third parties, outside of a handful of unusual cases, are not viable in plurality-voting societies. The green party does not exist to provide a meaningful alternative to voting for Democrats. This cycle, third parties are even less of a factor than usual.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Third parties, outside of a handful of unusual cases, are not viable in plurality-voting societies. The green party does not exist to provide a meaningful alternative to voting for Democrats. This cycle, third parties are even less of a factor than usual.

Texas is a one party state, there is no viable alternative to voting for Republicans for statewide office

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's just not.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

that's not the point, the point is how to both move away from a plurality-voting society in our lifetime so the oceans don't boil and simultaneously vote for a party that opposes those goals to stop trump without making our heads explode or die of preventable disease in the meantime

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everything sucks imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

that's not the point, the point is how to move away from a plurality-voting society in our lifetime so the oceans don't boil while simultaneously voting for a party that opposes those goals to stop trump

Well, I don't know how we do that but I do know that one to two percent of righties voting libertarian and one to two percent of lefties voting green party every four years ain't gonna do it. Like we're so far from that right now we can't even see it over the horizon.

everything sucks imo

It's not great

Like we're in here like "hmmm well the relative merits of proportional representation are obvious - yes I agree but the reality is that..." while else where they're like "be the president of Germany somehow and do qanon here Mr Trump" so we're really just debating angels dancing on the head of a pin
https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1299734552085233664

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 29, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

Texas is a one party state, there is no viable alternative to voting for Republicans for statewide office

harris county would strongly disagree with you

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

I have never seen Dwayne Bohac, but I have seen every single person running against him the past several years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Like we're in here like "hmmm well the relative merits of proportional representation are obvious - yes I agree but the reality is that..." while else where they're like "be the president of Germany somehow and do qanon here Mr Trump" so we're really just debating angels dancing on the head of a pin
https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1299734552085233664

is that black white and red flag like a monarchist thing or a Nazi thing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

harris county would strongly disagree with you

yes, harris county is so successful in statewide races that chris bell was governor

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

yes, harris county is so successful in statewide races that chris bell was governor

He did better than Wendy Davis.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ lmao we have such a semi-memorable loser's gallery since 1998

zoux posted:

Well, I don't know how we do that but I do know that one to two percent of righties voting libertarian and one to two percent of lefties voting green party every four years ain't gonna do it. Like we're so far from that right now we can't even see it over the horizon.

my plan to shift the democrats to the left by voting against lupe valdez has not quite materialized i'll admit

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

That sounds like an argument that individuals shouldn't bother voting for other parties, not an argument that they shouldn't have a right to vote for the party they want

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

That sounds like an argument that individuals shouldn't bother voting for other parties, not an argument that they shouldn't have a right to vote for the party they want

lupe valdez is the most successful democratic candidate since richards and smoked abbott's 2014 landslide numbers because of turnout and population growth

we'll...we'll get an actual left party before houston is evacuated for good, right

right

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
A proportional representation system in Texas would end up with the existing centrist Dems and a parade of increasingly insane right wing parties with more power then ever because they are needed to form a coalition government.

For the last decade, Strauss and Bonnen have kept the truly insane (Dan Patrick) at bay, which is why he keeps running for higher office to try and wrest control.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

A proportional representation system in Texas would end up with the existing centrist Dems and a parade of increasingly insane right wing parties with more power then ever because they are needed to form a coalition government.
when majority leader West refusing to coalition with the Qanon caucus leads to a Democratic confidence-and-supply arrangement with the Red Guards, you'll eat your words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

when majority leader West refusing to coalition with the Qanon caucus leads to a Democratic confidence-and-supply arrangement with the Red Guards, you'll eat your words

Doesn't seem good, everything I know about the Red Guards, which means only posts here, indicate the Red Guards are just all police