Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Horizon Zero Dawn: No, the PC port isn't fixed yet.

The skill-tree feels similar to AC Origins in how vestigial it feels. Skills come in two types: stuff that should have been unlocked from the get-go like stealth-takedowns, and stuff too situational to be useful like being able to fire a bow while on a rope.

There are fifteen different inventory upgrades. Your quiver for your war bow can't be used to hold your sharpshot bow. 50 metal vessels can take up the same amount of room as a single ratbone.

I think there's an unneeded level of complication in the two above systems that could be streamlined without harming the overall experience. I"d much rather have a fixed arsenal of equipment that I can slowly upgrade instead of having to shift through identical gear pieces to pick up (See BOTW). In metroids like Hollow Knight there is no skill-tree or inventory management, but every item you pick up does have a value and there is extrinsic character progression. People may give a lot of deserved poo poo to Mass Effect 2 but nobody was bothered that they removed the inventory management.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Mass Effect 2 was the best one

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Spek posted:

Just got around to trying the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and oh my god the camera just will. not. stop. moving. It's headache inducing. During cutscenes it's jittering around like water on a hot pan. Whenever you walk it tumbles about behind you like a helium balloon in a storm. Trying to strafe left or right even makes it needlessly tilt in the direction you're trying to move.

And to make it worse, the game keeps yanking what little control of the camera I have away from me. Like I walk into a set piece location and the camera has to be jerked over to zoom in on a decrepit plane. It's the only thing there game, chill out and give me a sec and I'll look at it on my own, thanks. Or I step too close to a bit of interactable scenery and lose all control of the camera for no reason. It still jitters around as it floats there, of course, but ignores my attempts to control it until I move away from the puzzle piece or whatever. But of course Lara moves relative to the camera so without camera control moving her away from said puzzle piece feels like janky rear end. Similarly, though slightly more excusably, it takes away camera control during the "run out of the collapsing tunnel" sequence, and presumably other later sequences that I'll never get to cuz I cant stand the camera enough to keep playing.

Developers of the world I implore you: just leave the cameras alone. Don't shake them. Don't jerk them around. Don't dampen player induced movement. Don't take control of them away from the player without very good reason. Don't try to infer what the player wants to look at and help them move it there. These things inevitably feel absolutely atrocious, and often cause headaches and motion sickness, in at least some people. Just keep it simple.

Weird. I don't remember camera problems like this in that game. Are you sure your controller isn't boinked? Or maybe your options and sensitivity settings need tweaking?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TR2013 has a jittery handheld-style camera in both gameplay and cutscenes that I imagine could be pretty jarring for some people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Especially early on where it's a pretty guided, linear experience.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Also there are load times everywhere for some reason.

I've seen this complaint, which is a weird one. They're short (not the 15-20 seconds I've heard), and just as common as the original game. You load when encountering events on the road and when entering/exiting dungeons.

Crossposting from RPG thread:

The White Dragon posted:

in the original game's multiplayer mode, you played the entire game together. you start in your home town and P1 selects the stage through the world map. you play through the stage and progress together, and after clearing three stages for the first time, a year passes in-game and more stages open up. you often go to other cities and interact with npcs to buy items, upgrade your equipment, negotiate trading resources and managing money with your friends (all drops, including money, are per-player rather than globally shared or auto-distributed, but by design it's assumed that you all share the same "pool" because normally every player is on the same save file anyway), etc. you also encounter various long-winded events while moving in the world map that say nothing of interest but can give you items as well as give you 1 of a particular resource called Memories.

remember this, because it is secretly insanely important

the remaster uses a lobby system. you play one stage, and the host makes stage clear progress. clients get to increase their stats at the end of a stage, but they get zero story progress themselves. you can only play stages that you've reached on your own file, so if a client wants to play a stage that the host has unlocked, each client in turn needs to become the host, remake the lobby, and everyone has to clear the stage again. nobody gets world map events, and the only Memories you get are the ones from clearing a stage for the first time

the reason any of this happens is--well it's really a laundry list of reasons directly related to the fact that the game was hard-coded to be played locally, in 2003. but i'm sure you don't want to hear them because while they're relevant, they're also both at once insanely :psyduck: and completely uninteresting.

on the surface, this sounds cumbersome but fairly mundane, maybe lazy but whatever at least it works. but in practice, the following things happen:

-problem 1
you have to do each stage up to four times--equal to the number of players. in the beginning, this seems fine because your stats are low, and clearing a stage only gives you 1-2 points in a single stat in the form of a unique treasure item that you can't take duplicates of, so doing them over and over seems like a good idea. it's not.

three years after clearing a stage for the first time, the enemies in the stage power up and it becomes available to be cleared again to progress the year clock--this is called "Cycle 2" and later in the game there's also a Cycle 3. the drop pool changes, but barely: the way the drops work in FFCC is that every stage has six groupings determined by your total score. in the first cycle, you have access to tables 1-4, but in cycle 2, you get tables 2-5.

many stages share treasures in their drop pools. in fact, each stage only introduces 1-3 new items that can't be obtained in previous stages. even in the vanilla game, by the time stages start getting to Cycle 2, you would be doing the stage just one or two times because everyone already has everything. so, if you do every stage four times, you'll find really quickly that you're running out of new items to take and you're just doing the stage with zero actual progression whatsoever.

to put this into modern MMO terms, imagine if every time you did a raid, you had to clear it once per participant, even if all of you got all the drops you wanted, because if you didn't one of you wouldn't be able to participate in new raids in the future. at all.

-problem 2
each player has a family, and in the original game, you could visit with them between stages and this was important to increase their affinity with you. this in turn unlocked new and unique items, and provided you with massive, extremely necessary discounts. ffcc is a game where 50,000gp is an absolutely tremendous amount of money that's considered to be an endgame goal total to be spent on a useless luxury item for bragging rights. the base price of forging the ultimate weapons is between 50,000-65,000gp, but you're SUPPOSED to get an 80% discount on this price by having a good relationship with your blacksmith family.

except, stages are just instances. you don't GET to visit with your family unless you do it on your own time offline. you can ask somoene with a Blacksmith family to have something crafted for you, but then you still have to drop the money, drop the recipe, drop the components, finish the stage, then everyone sits patiently while whoever you gave your money to starts a single-player game and crafts everything, and then restarts a new lobby and throws your poo poo on the ground. i hope you're playing with friends!

why wouldn't everyone be a blacksmith? well, there are two other family jobs that provide amazing bonuses as well; one crafts accessories at the expected discount, and the other is the only source in the world for the recipes to the strongest weapons, armor, and accessories in the game. it's almost like this game was made to be played locally!

-problem [3] [he actually listed something else as 3 but it's about loot and loot is actually instanced so you're not fighting over it with randos]
lets save the best for last. so, Memories.

Memories is a stat that exists solely to gently caress the player. there is no other reason for it to be in the game whatsoever. during the final boss, your Memories drain at the rate of one about every 10 seconds. when a character's Memories reach 0, they die instantly and can't be revived. a party of four players wearing their ultimate equipment with stats at around 70 will take about 5-7 minutes to clear this fight; taking your stats to 99 won't be a substantial reduction because they scale linearly.

you're thinking: well i guess i better have 50-70 memories huh! well, there are only two ways to get Memories: by clearing a stage for the first time, or by viewing events on the world map. there are 13 stages, and they can be cleared "for the first time" three times each (once per unique cycle). if you get the Memory for clearing every stage--EVERYTHING--that leaves you with a deficit of somewhere between 11 and 31 memories.

but wait, there's more!! just before the final boss, some pissjester asks you a series of five random questions about your adventure. these are typically things like, "In Year 7, you went to a number of places. What was the second stage you cleared for the first time in that year?" could you have answered this off the top of your head? probably not. if you get it wrong, you lose a bunch of Memories.

typically, the questions are extremely arcane. things like, "In Year 4, you met a different caravan. What item did they give you?" it'll give you three different options, and they'll all be equally valid and normal, and they'll also all be correct for different events. it's so incredibly easy to get wrong.

but that's not all!!! if this sounds unfair (and it is), the game lets you check the answers ahead of time. you can read your Journal from the world map screen. there's no way to know ahead of time which entries the final boss is going to ask you about, but at least you can review the facts and the entries in fact will tell you everything you need to know to answer any of the questions the game can ask you. so, if it sounds like i'm being a little hyperbolic, well, okay, you got me. i am. you can ALWAYS check the answers, provided you know this is coming up ahead of time.

...wait a second.

there's a certain screen that never appears even once in multipl-- :ohno:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

People may give a lot of deserved poo poo to Mass Effect 2 but nobody was bothered that they removed the inventory management.

It's me, I was bothered. Granted, I have only ever played the PC version of ME1 so the inventory management was simply whatever and not the teeth-pulling agony that it apparently was on consoles. I would've preferred a streamlined version of that than the weird half-steps and workarounds they had to implement in 2.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Aug 28, 2020

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

BiggerBoat posted:

Weird. I don't remember camera problems like this in that game. Are you sure your controller isn't boinked? Or maybe your options and sensitivity settings need tweaking?
Quite sure, for one thing it happens in the cutscenes, for another I'm using a mouse.

John Murdoch posted:

It's me, I was bothered. Granted, I have only ever played the PC version of ME1 so the inventory management was simply whatever and not the teeth-pulling agony that it apparently was on consoles. I would've preferred a streamlined version of that than the weird half-steps and workarounds they had to implement in 2.

Me too. Especially if you include getting rid of the weapon mods as part of the inventory management. The mods made Mass Effect 1 the most fun shooter I've played. 2 sucked for a lot of reasons but removing weapon mods was probably the biggest.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
2 also sucked for adding ammo to the guns, instead of the weird overheating system they had in 1.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Mass Effect 2 basically made a better game by throwing out all the neat, unpolished things from ME1. But it also made a less interesting game by throwing out all the neat, unpolished things from ME1.

It also ditched the awesome synth soundtrack for drab orchestrial stuff, but that's just a bad directorial decision.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bony tony posted:

2 also sucked for adding ammo to the guns, instead of the weird overheating system they had in 1.

I could overlook the ammo thing if not for that fact that the way ammo drops were implemented is dumb as hell. Probably hastily done because the game wasn't actually orginally designed with discrete ammo in mind - it was going to be like the Ghostbusters game and keep the heat system but add in a "reload" where you manually vent the heat.

I think you can outright re-enable the old system in 2 via ini tweaks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cleretic posted:

Mass Effect 2 basically made a better game by throwing out all the neat, unpolished things from ME1. But it also made a less interesting game by throwing out all the neat, unpolished things from ME1.

It also ditched the awesome synth soundtrack for drab orchestrial stuff, but that's just a bad directorial decision.

On the second point I will agree

https://youtu.be/sUKiOcV1SSc

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ME1 may have been a janky mess but ME2 traded that for being maximally generic, and I was bored of it before I got halfway through.

Though I wasn't playing as the class that can apparently teleport around shotgunning fools. So I guess the thing dragging it down was that they let you pick classes other than that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The MAKO somehow handled both like a shopping trolley with one stuck wheel and a bouncy castle in a stiff breeze, but it was heaps better than the drilling drone bullshit they added in 2.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles HD has new postgame dungeons which are just remixes of previous ones and I'll give everyone some advice, DO NOT PLAY THESE DUNGEONS, THEY ARE NOT WELL BALANCED AT ALL.

I went through the remixed Mochet Manor which is called Dinner Party and it took me THIRTY MINUTES and 25 Phoenix Downs to beat Jack Moshet and Maggie, Jack's attacks are the same as before,, ice breath which stuns you for a few seconds, a punch and butt slam which stuns you also, but there's a nasty twist to the new fight.

Previously Jack's wife, Maggie, would join in and cast spells to harass you, a few attacks on her and she retreats until the fight ends, but in the postgame dungeon she doesn't retreat and is invincible now, so now you have to deal with Jack AND his wife who does nothing but spam incredibly powerful magic attacks on you, and the kicker is that Maggie's melee attacks are also very damaging and she and Jack are almost never separated, so you will be combo'd to death over and over again.

So I'll repeat, for the love of god do not do these postgame remix dungeons, they are not worth the hassle.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Triarii posted:

ME1 may have been a janky mess but ME2 traded that for being maximally generic, and I was bored of it before I got halfway through.

Though I wasn't playing as the class that can apparently teleport around shotgunning fools. So I guess the thing dragging it down was that they let you pick classes other than that.

That's probably part of your problem then, because playing on insanity as a Vanguard is some of the most fun I've had in gaming.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah ME2's true weakness is that most classes arent fun to play as. ME3 was superior in that regard, but I still prefer the "building a crew to take on the bad guy" story of 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Hard agree, I loved the exploration in ME1 and it really gave a sense of there being this huge galaxy out there. The jankass weapon customization was fun, too- turning your sniper rifle into a single shot rocket launcher was a blast even if it wasn’t practical.

Andromeda had problems but I really enjoyed driving the Nomad around and exploring again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not a big fan of the scaling system in the AssCreed games. Especially after RDR2 which basically said "feel free to explore the world where your skills and not some arbitrary numbers decides if you survive it."

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah i picked up Origins after not playing an assassins creed game in quite a while and the level scaling makes it seem alot less open world when I can basically see where the game is going to take me based on the level recommendations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Judge Tesla posted:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles HD has new postgame dungeons which are just remixes of previous ones and I'll give everyone some advice, DO NOT PLAY THESE DUNGEONS, THEY ARE NOT WELL BALANCED AT ALL.

I went through the remixed Mochet Manor which is called Dinner Party and it took me THIRTY MINUTES and 25 Phoenix Downs to beat Jack Moshet and Maggie, Jack's attacks are the same as before,, ice breath which stuns you for a few seconds, a punch and butt slam which stuns you also, but there's a nasty twist to the new fight.

Previously Jack's wife, Maggie, would join in and cast spells to harass you, a few attacks on her and she retreats until the fight ends, but in the postgame dungeon she doesn't retreat and is invincible now, so now you have to deal with Jack AND his wife who does nothing but spam incredibly powerful magic attacks on you, and the kicker is that Maggie's melee attacks are also very damaging and she and Jack are almost never separated, so you will be combo'd to death over and over again.

So I'll repeat, for the love of god do not do these postgame remix dungeons, they are not worth the hassle.

Jesus the games been out like three days

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FF:CC is a no-go for me from the jump because it doesn’t have local multiplayer, which was like...the whole point of the original. Like, poo poo, I’ll just keep playing Diablo 3 with my wife I guess. I was looking forward to it until I found out it was online only.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Triarii posted:

Bioware's sequel strategy is to just cut anything that got even the lightest criticism instead of refining them, ending up with games that are dull and soulless, but highly polished.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While the skill-tree and inventory-management may be a bit guff in Horizon: Zero Dawn I do like how it deals with progression. There are only three ranks of any weapon-type, and instead of increasing in flat damage they instead grant extra mod-slots and ammo-types. Same deal with outfits. There are technically only a dozen weapon and outfits each and the numbers on them never go big.

The game has levels but they don't actually mean anything. You only get a smidge extra health on level-up, which doesn't matter much because your foes are giant robots who hit like a truck. The best defence isn't a high armour stat, it's dodging the gently caress out of the way. There are no extra stats or hidden formulas. There is a sense of progression but it's because your arsenal gets wider, not just numerically stronger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

While the skill-tree and inventory-management may be a bit guff in Horizon: Zero Dawn I do like how it deals with progression. There are only three ranks of any weapon-type, and instead of increasing in flat damage they instead grant extra mod-slots and ammo-types. Same deal with outfits. There are technically only a dozen weapon and outfits each and the numbers on them never go big.

The game has levels but they don't actually mean anything. You only get a smidge extra health on level-up, which doesn't matter much because your foes are giant robots who hit like a truck. The best defence isn't a high armour stat, it's dodging the gently caress out of the way. There are no extra stats or hidden formulas. There is a sense of progression but it's because your arsenal gets wider, not just numerically stronger.

There is one bow that adds Hardpoint arrows, which are just straight +damage, but even then where you’re shooting matters way more than the increase to damage/tear from those. It basically just makes hard fights a bit shorter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got around to trying Fall Guys, it's fun but as far as I can tell the game (on PS4) can't reconnect to the network if it's ever been interrupted since the game started - like if the wifi blipped out at some point, or more commonly, when you minimize the game and put the console into rest mode. It doesn't take that long to restart the software, but it's kind of a pain when you have to do it every time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Len posted:

Jesus the games been out like three days

I played it back on the Gamecube so it's not exactly a first time experience. :v:

For reference I'd unlocked the final dungeon on my first day of playing because I already knew everything about the game going in.

Judge Tesla has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Aug 29, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Until you get the armor which is absolutely numerical stronger and can take damage like a motherfucker

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Got around to trying Fall Guys, it's fun but as far as I can tell the game (on PS4) can't reconnect to the network if it's ever been interrupted since the game started - like if the wifi blipped out at some point, or more commonly, when you minimize the game and put the console into rest mode. It doesn't take that long to restart the software, but it's kind of a pain when you have to do it every time.

I haven't had any problems reconnecting after putting the console in rest mode. Could be because I'm on a wired connection.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Because of this the sense of progression you feel really feels like an accomplishment you earned as well. Those giant crocs that scared the poo poo out of you when you first encounter them but now take down easily? That's pretty much all you getting better at the game, because like you said, leveling doesn't mean all that much. Sure, the equipment upgrades help, but you don't rely on them to defeat a new foe. The question never, ever is "is my equipment good enough or am I high level enough to beat this?" because everything can be done with the tools that you have, so it's always about figuring out how to beat something, and learning to do it.

E:
Sorry, thought this was the other thread.

For actual content: when you play with friends in Fall Guys and you qualify or get eliminated, the camera should follow one of the people you grouped with automatically instead of having to cycle through dozens of randoms to watch your friends fail/succeed.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Aug 29, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spikey posted:

I haven't had any problems reconnecting after putting the console in rest mode. Could be because I'm on a wired connection.

I'm on wifi, maybe it's that or maybe I've just been unlucky. It's happened a few times in a row now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The fact other players don't get myrrh drops in the Crystal Chronicles remaster is utterly mind boggling. Even if you were to go with the fact that you would probably rerun a dungeon cause i]everyone[/i] wants the pocket artifacts, having to disband and rehost the party for each player is miserable.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally getting around to Sekiro. I wish it would stop popping me out of stealth when I jump. Maybe as a ninja I'd like to be both stealthy and agile, you know?

Also the Dragonrot mechanic seems incredibly stupid for this kind of game. I'm early on so maybe it improves a bit, but don't design a super hard game with no difficulty sliders and then extra punish me for dying a lot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

Finally getting around to Sekiro. I wish it would stop popping me out of stealth when I jump. Maybe as a ninja I'd like to be both stealthy and agile, you know?

Also the Dragonrot mechanic seems incredibly stupid for this kind of game. I'm early on so maybe it improves a bit, but don't design a super hard game with no difficulty sliders and then extra punish me for dying a lot.

That's how From rolls. [Ask]me about getting black world tendency on 4-1.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dragonrot doesnt really do anything, iirc.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

food court bailiff posted:

Dragonrot doesnt really do anything, iirc.

This is correct, it sounded like they were planning on making it a much bigger deal judging from prerelease interviews but seem to have scaled it back shortly before release (probably because players would avoid it at all costs once they realized what was happening, which sort of defeats the point)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Retro Futurist posted:

It’s a pretty minimal impact overall so don’t worry too much about Dragonrot. There’s cut content that shows it was originally a way nastier system, but what ended up in the final product is totally manageable and maybe even ignorable.

e: drat, beaten, and now I have a nasty cough.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok good. I read an article that made it sound like quest giving NPCs could die from it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok good. I read an article that made it sound like quest giving NPCs could die from it.

It won't kill them, but you won't be able to progress their questlines while they have it. Also using the cure means curing everyone who has it at once, so it's better to wait until a bunch of people have it before doing so.

But yes, it's a very stupid system and the worst part of an otherwise incredible game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hey E Gad how about instead of telling me to be patient and lightning bulb the polterkitty you tell me what mechanic I'm missing to get it off the roof