Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I never learned a lick of Puyo and I was still able to complete all of the 130some story mode challenges. PPT rules but if all you want out of it is pure Puyo you can get Champions and save yourself $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

I never learned a lick of Puyo and I was still able to complete all of the 130some story mode challenges. PPT rules but if all you want out of it is pure Puyo you can get Champions and save yourself $20.

Towards the end of the game I just failed Puyo stages three times as quickly as possible to get past them to something that was actually fun.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Coxswain Balls posted:

Hopefully the sequel will have better matchmaking options for people who are in the mood for just Puyo vs. Puyo.

I've got some good news then:

Gamesradar+ posted:

The original Puyo Puyo Tetris launched in 2014, but found a second wind with its Switch version. In the years since, Sonic Team has learned that some players favoured the modes that offered pure Tetris or unadorned Puyo Puyo, rather than the fusion of the two. To that end, the new sequel will feature a Tetris league, a Puyo Puyo league, and another focused entirely on skill battles, reflecting its splintered audience.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Very nice, although I can't see myself going back to regular 1v1 for Tetris after playing T99. The RPG mode looks cool, and if they fix the hard drop sensitivity it'll be a day one purchase for me.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Coxswain Balls posted:

T99.
the hard drop sensitivity
Fun fact: until like 4 days ago, I didn't realise I had control over it and thought other players were choosing really perfect moments to absolutely gently caress me.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that was a pretty good nintendo direct, tho not the best

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Any cool games similar to Divinity Original Sin 2 on the Switch (other than DOS2)?

More into the 'tactical combat' rather than Diablo style

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ratjaculation posted:

Any cool games similar to Divinity Original Sin 2 on the Switch (other than DOS2)?

More into the 'tactical combat' rather than Diablo style

Baldurs Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment

Edit: also Neverwinter Nights

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 29, 2020

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Sinking city is 80% off. How's the switch port? And more importantly, how is the game?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Spiteski posted:

Sinking city is 80% off. How's the switch port? And more importantly, how is the game?

The Switch port is playable, although the graphics in part suffer from the downgrade from the PS4/Xbox One versions. Not that you can get those versions anyway, since Frogware and their publisher got into an argument of some sort and the publisher pulled the other versions out of the storefronts, leaving the Switch port as the only one available since it was self-published.

As for the game itself, it's engaging and the ambience is compelling, although it does have design choices that makes it feel like a game from the 00s. But if you like sleuthing in a lovecraftian environment, I'd say this pretty much fills the bill, especially with the current price point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

punk rebel ecks posted:

So, Paradise Killer is releasing in a week for PC and Switch, and on Switch it has a 20% pre-order discount.

The game has a demo on Steam and the best way to describe the game is that it is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure meets Hotel Dusk meets Suda 51. The game is a murder mystery adventure game taking place in a open city map and it is in general very enjoyable and intriguing to play. For $16 the price is a steal from what I've played.

loving sold.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I played 4.5 hrs of Blasphemous between last night and this morning. I like it a whole bunch. I dig the exploration and setting a whole bunch. I just want to keep uncovering the map!

The combat started out a bit disappointing but I unlocked the first four abilities and it's much better. I really dig the plunge and dash attacks. I'm not seeing much application for the charge attack, the charge time seems too long for it to be anything but a huge gamble. I also found a rosary item that shortens the recovery time after dashing. That makes things feel much better too.

I turned in Spanish voice acting and it's great.

I am going to see if I can get through this without leaning on any guides. So far it's going well!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh hi. I'm the guy that posted lots of annoying questions about having two Switches and sharing Animal Crossing.

Well I got the new Switch and it's not working. Just wanted to see if I've made a critical error!

1) Deregistered old Switch from my account.

2) Set new Switch as primary. It has nothing on it (except the old SD card which I hoped would keep all the games but NOPE)

3) When I try to play Animal Crossing on the old Switch on my partner's account it checks online then says "this user cannot play this software". She doesn't have a Nintendo account linked. My account obviously can play it.

Is there anything I can do that let's her play Animal Crossing without setting the old Switch as primary? Worst case scenario she'll have to buy the cart.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

So I played 4.5 hrs of Blasphemous between last night and this morning. I like it a whole bunch. I dig the exploration and setting a whole bunch. I just want to keep uncovering the map!

The combat started out a bit disappointing but I unlocked the first four abilities and it's much better. I really dig the plunge and dash attacks. I'm not seeing much application for the charge attack, the charge time seems too long for it to be anything but a huge gamble. I also found a rosary item that shortens the recovery time after dashing. That makes things feel much better too.

I turned in Spanish voice acting and it's great.

I am going to see if I can get through this without leaning on any guides. So far it's going well!

Did you beat the giant baby boss yet?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Did you beat the giant baby boss yet?

Nope.

I did fight an Ent'ish kind of thing that was being cradled by a statue. Then I explored a sewer for a bit, then I went way down into an inverted bell, and now I'm working my way up a snowy mountain.

I'm really digging the map with unlimited markers. It's much nicer to use than Hollow Knight's dumb map.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh hi. I'm the guy that posted lots of annoying questions about having two Switches and sharing Animal Crossing.

Well I got the new Switch and it's not working. Just wanted to see if I've made a critical error!

1) Deregistered old Switch from my account.

2) Set new Switch as primary. It has nothing on it (except the old SD card which I hoped would keep all the games but NOPE)

3) When I try to play Animal Crossing on the old Switch on my partner's account it checks online then says "this user cannot play this software". She doesn't have a Nintendo account linked. My account obviously can play it.

Is there anything I can do that let's her play Animal Crossing without setting the old Switch as primary? Worst case scenario she'll have to buy the cart.

So, if you register a switch as your primary, that means your PARTNER'S account will be able to play all of her games and all of your games on it. To play her own games she will need to be connected to wifi.

On the switch marked as your partners primary, YOU will be able to log into your account and play her games and your own. To play your own you will need to be connected to wifi.

Is this what your trying here?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Morpheus posted:

So, if you register a switch as your primary, that means your PARTNER'S account will be able to play all of her games and all of your games on it. To play her own games she will need to be connected to wifi.

On the switch marked as your partners primary, YOU will be able to log into your account and play her games and your own. To play your own you will need to be connected to wifi.

Is this what your trying here?

This is all literally so she can play Animal Crossing haha. So yeah, she's travelling and all she wants to do is play Animal Crossing, which I bought on my account, on the old Switch, which is no longer anyone's primary. Maybe if she links it to a Nintendo account that will set the old Switch up as her primary, and then it'll work? It's worth a shot.

EDIT: Created a Nintendo account for her and linked it to her profile, set old Switch as her primary (with my account still on it), still doesn't work. Bugger

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 29, 2020

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Who gots Windbound? Is it worth $30?

I'll put in a quick plug for Carrion, game where you play as the Thing and escape containment. It was $20 and I took a risk on it because I love the Thing and want more games like this. It reminds me a lot of Children of Morta, another $20 game I loved. Unique art style, interesting character(s) to play, doesn't go on forever and comes to a satisfying conclusion, IMO. If you like the idea of slithering through tunnels as the Thing and reaching up through holes in the floor to grab people and eat them I don't see how you could go wrong with this game. If there's a part 2 it's a day one purchase for me.

Also thanks for that Curious Expedition heads-up, I'd never heard of it and it looks right up my alley.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

e: nvm

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yea those are fixed internally, just gotta wait for the patch to go through. His vids and Terry's Worm Log were both a bit borked. Avoid those and it should be fine. :)

Glad you're enjoying though!

EDIT: Ok, add the HS_InnerRealm screensaver. Don't download it. :P

For folks who haven't played: There are hundreds of things to download and over 1000 pages to visit in this game, the ones causing crashes here are somewhat off the beaten path. Most people are able to play through the game without issue.

I'm very much looking forward to this one, it looks cool! Nice work.

Also is anyone trying Windbound? Any opinions?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Who gots Windbound? Is it worth $30?

I'll put in a quick plug for Carrion, game where you play as the Thing and escape containment. It was $20 and I took a risk on it because I love the Thing and want more games like this. It reminds me a lot of Children of Morta, another $20 game I loved. Unique art style, interesting character(s) to play, doesn't go on forever and comes to a satisfying conclusion, IMO. If you like the idea of slithering through tunnels as the Thing and reaching up through holes in the floor to grab people and eat them I don't see how you could go wrong with this game. If there's a part 2 it's a day one purchase for me.

Also thanks for that Curious Expedition heads-up, I'd never heard of it and it looks right up my alley.

antidote posted:

I'm very much looking forward to this one, it looks cool! Nice work.

Also is anyone trying Windbound? Any opinions?

I saw this in my recs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMMJS97PbDw

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Nope.

I did fight an Ent'ish kind of thing that was being cradled by a statue. Then I explored a sewer for a bit, then I went way down into an inverted bell, and now I'm working my way up a snowy mountain.

I'm really digging the map with unlimited markers. It's much nicer to use than Hollow Knight's dumb map.

They only added the markers in the patch like last week or whatever it was. The map loving sucked before that.

I 100%ed the game without ever using the charge attack in real combat. Even the ground pound thing was rarely useful. All of the dash upgrades were perma-equipped though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Papercut posted:

They only added the markers in the patch like last week or whatever it was. The map loving sucked before that.

I 100%ed the game without ever using the charge attack in real combat. Even the ground pound thing was rarely useful. All of the dash upgrades were perma-equipped though.

I'm finding utility with the charge attack by charging it up in anticipation of enemies with rush type attacks. Like the floating specters attached to bells and the white statues carrying tombs on their back.

I love the enemy design in this game and I really wish their was a beastiary.

I know this games inspired by Spanish Catholicism, but is all this lore actually from a real religion or is it only inspired by Spanish Catholicism? I'm admittedly under educated about world religions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm finding utility with the charge attack by charging it up in anticipation of enemies with rush type attacks. Like the floating specters attached to bells and the white statues carrying tombs on their back.

I love the enemy design in this game and I really wish their was a beastiary.

I know this games inspired by Spanish Catholicism, but is all this lore actually from a real religion or is it only inspired by Spanish Catholicism? I'm admittedly under educated about world religions.

old-school catholicism is steeped in imagery of suffering and self-flagellation, blasphemous is less of an exaggeration than you might think

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My only Pro Controller just died, my joy cons are drifting, it's long past time I got some new controllers. I don't like the d-pad on the pro controller I have, the way it tends to rock off to one side or the other when you're pressing up. Have they fixed that on more recent models, or should I be looking at third party? Are there any good third party ones? I was considering this thing but they cancelled it. What would you all recommend?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Pro Controller d-pad is still bad, get an sn30pro+ instead if that's a priority

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

It almost has feature parity with the Pro Controller, but so you know it's missing HD rumble, Amiibo support and the ability to wake the Switch from sleep.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dabir posted:

My only Pro Controller just died, my joy cons are drifting, it's long past time I got some new controllers. I don't like the d-pad on the pro controller I have, the way it tends to rock off to one side or the other when you're pressing up. Have they fixed that on more recent models, or should I be looking at third party? Are there any good third party ones? I was considering this thing but they cancelled it. What would you all recommend?

Have Nintendo fix your poo poo. They’ll fix the joycons for free and will probably fix the pro controller for free, if this is your first one with issues.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://nintendoeverything.com/paper-mario-dev-unsure-if-the-series-will-continue-to-move-away-from-rpg-roots/

Dev for Paper Mario: OK talks about how they moved away from the RPG roots, but that doesn't mean it'll be forever.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

repiv posted:

The Pro Controller d-pad is still bad, get an sn30pro+ instead if that's a priority

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

It almost has feature parity with the Pro Controller, but so you know it's missing HD rumble, Amiibo support and the ability to wake the Switch from sleep.

seconding this - I can only think of one time the HD rumble was actually used in a way that mattered to me at all, and it was not something that was worth that awful d-pad or the drifting

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8bitdo controllers are great. I've the SN30 Pro and I love it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

latest rumor is that a Monster Hunter in the RE Engine is coming to Switch, tba September but I'm gonna lump it in with Every Other Rumor for now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The latest rumour being that one dude on twitter who made poo poo up?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Do the 8BitDos connect with the Switch easily or do I have to use additional peripherals? I used their wireless controller dongle for Steam/Gamepass games and it seemed to kind of have issues forgetting my controllers occasionally.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The latest rumour being that one dude on twitter who made poo poo up?

...actually I just realized the source was DuskGolem, the RE 7/8 guy who had a lot of details on their stuff. So who knows now? An HD MonHun on Switch with the quality of life changes World had would probably be their biggest holiday seller.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Zurtilik posted:

Do the 8BitDos connect with the Switch easily or do I have to use additional peripherals? I used their wireless controller dongle for Steam/Gamepass games and it seemed to kind of have issues forgetting my controllers occasionally.

They connect easily. I don't use mine super often but I've never had any issues with it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Maybe I'll give one a swing!

Would be nice for the VC games and the more retro packs like Collection of Mana or the MegaMan Packs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Retro packs suck because they're the exact reason the NES/SNES Online lineups are trash.

The Castlevania pack is pretty good though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I have a 8bitdo and its great except that I have to pair the drat thing everytime I use it. Even when it technically has a pairing with the console it still won't connect until you open up the 'change grip order' menu. I have no idea why.

I only use it for multiplayer stuff but needing a second controller to pair the 8bitdo everytime you power the console on might be inconvenient for TV singleplayer.

Also gently caress sake at that paper mario article, I liked Origami King just fine but if you're committed to pushing the series away from its RPG roots please make a game that does not feature RPG style turn based battles at all. Its the insistence that they're 'doing something different' while just doing the same thing but basic and flawed that I find very frustrating.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

Retro packs suck because they're the exact reason the NES/SNES Online lineups are trash.

I don't entirely disagree. But there are still a ton of games not in those line ups that I feel Nintendo could be offering that they don't. Idk. Maybe I'm a didiot.

Like why isn't Earthbound on there? Isn't that entirely Nintendo's baby? Where's Mario learns Number and Letters?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

American McGay posted:

wish it had Rondo of Blood tbh but it's still pretty good

Zurtilik posted:

Like why isn't Earthbound on there? Isn't that entirely Nintendo's baby?

Nintendo's neglected, abandoned baby