Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

newest Plasmo vid is up and its an excellent watch. I don't even really like the idea of modelling planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hXQ-BjhPU
I don't either, but after seeing his Kawasaki Ninja video I'm hooked. His and Luke Towan's videos are incredibly educational and relaxing, in contrast to some modelers who seem to think they're getting paid by the syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I don't post a ton of WIP pics, but this one's got me pretty giddy. I'm pushing myself really hard this time to expand my skillset. I have never done a lot of these techniques before. Lots of brass, lots of scratch building, lots of wiring, figure painting, and...

https://i.imgur.com/4IwoZIo.mp4

Electronics! :D Tough to see, but there are actually two nano chip LEDs there - a warm white for the interior cabin light and a green for the position light on the top of the fuselage. Ultimately, it will have 8-9 lights and a working motor.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 29, 2020

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
That's a WIP GIF. :colbert:

That looks awesome. Way beyond anything I'd feel comfortable doing.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

I don't post a ton of WIP pics, but this one's got me pretty giddy. I'm pushing myself really hard this time to expand my skillset. I have never done a lot of these techniques before. Lots of brass, lots of scratch building, lots of wiring, figure painting, and...

https://i.imgur.com/4IwoZIo.mp4

Electronics! :D Tough to see, but there are actually two nano chip LEDs there - a warm white for the interior cabin light and a green for the position light on the top of the fuselage. Ultimately, it will have 8-9 lights and a working motor.

That is a really awesome idea. I wouldn't be surprised if interior lighting becomes the new standard for model building to show off the cockpits.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks! Electronics are pretty big in starship modeling, but not seen too often in WWII aircraft - at least in my experience. I haven't had an electronics class since high school, but wiring this thing up isn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I've gotten all my electronics from evandesigns.com and they're largely intended for the model railroad market. Turns out they work perfectly here too. The biggest trick I think, is going to be hiding the main positive and negative leads that will run to the battery pack. If all goes to plan, I'm going to run one wire down each main gear strut, shape it like the brake line, pass it through a hole drilled in the baseboard, then run it to the battery pack.

Interestingly, there's a company in Belgium (worth the click for the background image alone) that sells pre-built, plug-n-play electronics kits for a lot of popular 1/32 and some 1/48 kits. I thought about getting their rig for this kit, but ultimately wanted the challenge of doing it myself. The only thing I won't have that their getup does is audio. Theirs comes with a little speaker and a whole program for simulated startup, run-up, and shutdown. Pretty neat.

Anyway, as of this writing, all of the cockpit lights are wired in and working. I have to detail the turret, then I can start painting the interior and figure out how to close everything up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of stuff do y'all use to simulate tubing, wiring, and hoses and whatnot. I see references to wire but is anything in particular recommended?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I have a spool of garden wire that I've been using for years, it works as two different thicknesses depending on if you strip the insulation or not. You can get thin brass rods if you're feeling fancy too.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

One of the best things I've found is solder. It comes in sizes down to .3mm and bends super easy and stays in shape. You don't want to use it for anything load bearing, but for wiring it's great.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Phi230 posted:

What kind of stuff do y'all use to simulate tubing, wiring, and hoses and whatnot. I see references to wire but is anything in particular recommended?

i buy small gauge wire from michaels, anything over 20 gauge is usually small enough

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There are also some companies selling inductively powered LEDs for use in model kits. Costly but good for places where running wires isn’t an option.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I might be able to squeeze some wiring into the 1:16 scale Panzer IV I'm making now. Shame I already glued to turret basket base on, it would have been a good place to stash batteries.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Phi230 posted:

Guitar stings, specifically bass guitar strings are good for hoses and corrugated tubes.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

I might be able to squeeze some wiring into the 1:16 scale Panzer IV I'm making now. Shame I already glued to turret basket base on, it would have been a good place to stash batteries.

Is that the Trumpeter kit?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

I got a set of 1/35 Gacha-Nen capsule Ma.K kits to restart modeling this autumn. Finished painting this SAFS Raptor, though it needs a matte coat and some better photos. I've always been a fan of Maschinen Krieger but never had the guts to attempt one. This was a total joy to paint.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Molentik posted:

Is that the Trumpeter kit?

Yes, the one that's the size of a suitcase

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Scut posted:

I got a set of 1/35 Gacha-Nen capsule Ma.K kits to restart modeling this autumn. Finished painting this SAFS Raptor, though it needs a matte coat and some better photos. I've always been a fan of Maschinen Krieger but never had the guts to attempt one. This was a total joy to paint.

Hell yeah.

Before you give it the matte coat, have you considered a brown oil wash all over the exterior? I feel like MaK kits always look best when they're as filthy as possible.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I thought it was looking pretty grimy already but I will take your suggestion under consideration. Look the model over in the morning.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

WIP of the 1/144 Zero. Nearly finished now.

Painted the wing lights, did a little bit of weathering with a panel line wash. The upper surfaces have also been hit with a coat of matte varnish. Also unmasked the center canopy portion. I still have a few touchups to do on the landing gear doors and bays.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Freehand practice on a 1/72 PSC Sherman.

Ballsed it up on the right-hand side emblem, but for working without so much as a ruler, I'll take it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Symetrique posted:

WIP of the 1/144 Zero. Nearly finished now.

Painted the wing lights, did a little bit of weathering with a panel line wash. The upper surfaces have also been hit with a coat of matte varnish. Also unmasked the center canopy portion. I still have a few touchups to do on the landing gear doors and bays.

You're making me feel bad. :-) That looks really good. I've got a 144 P47 on the desk right now... with a P38, mig15, F15, and F86 on deck.. My BIL said he might make me a shadow box to put all these micro models in.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Looking for recommendations on scifi type models that aren't Star Trek/Wars or BSG if such a thing even exists. I really like a lot of the WH40K designs but $50 for something that's less than 3" tall is a bit much.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vorenus posted:

Looking for recommendations on scifi type models that aren't Star Trek/Wars or BSG if such a thing even exists. I really like a lot of the WH40K designs but $50 for something that's less than 3" tall is a bit much.

There's stuff out there, but nothing cheap. Stuff like Star Wars is cheap because they can make a million kits. Lesser known or custom work is much more expensive because they sell way less copies. Warhammer is expensive mostly because Games Workshop are assholes.

Industria Mechanika
Pegasus Hobbies
CultTVMan
Moebius Models
Maschinen Krieger (Ma.K) (various japanase companies, various models)
Monsters In Motion

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vorenus posted:

There's also Gundams.

I like the gundam models because they're intricate. The Real Grade and Master Grade ones have like internal skeletons with moving parts, which you also have to assemble yourself, and there's a lot of optional labor you can put in to make them look better. The plastic is already the color it's supposed to be, but you can paint or clearcoat it to make it pop. The one I'm working on right now, I've repainted all the yellow parts to be metallic gold, and I'm applying black panel liner to all the panel lines. The next one I have in the pipeline, I'm considering painting all the blue parts metallic blue now that I've seen how good the gold paint marker I have works.

Real Grade models generally run $30-40, and Master Grade are about $60. There's also High Grade, which are less intricate and a little cheaper, but can still look pretty good if you get in there with the panel liner and/or paint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

There's also Gundams.

I like the gundam models because they're intricate. The Real Grade and Master Grade ones have like internal skeletons with moving parts, which you also have to assemble yourself, and there's a lot of optional labor you can put in to make them look better. The plastic is already the color it's supposed to be, but you can paint or clearcoat it to make it pop. The one I'm working on right now, I've repainted all the yellow parts to be metallic gold, and I'm applying black panel liner to all the panel lines. The next one I have in the pipeline, I'm considering painting all the blue parts metallic blue now that I've seen how good the gold paint marker I have works.

Real Grade models generally run $30-40, and Master Grade are about $60. There's also High Grade, which are less intricate and a little cheaper, but can still look pretty good if you get in there with the panel liner and/or paint.

Gunpla is plastic crack and you will fall down a deep, deep, rabbit hole of shame and low-price, high-quality, plastic robots chasing that High-Grade dragon :shepspends:.

There's also the 30 Minute Missions (30MM) line, which are cheap robots with various customization packs. They are insidious things because you will look at them, get an idea, and then be ordering three or four weapon and accessory packs to mount on a single robot together. And then you'll be ordering another robot because you have accessories left over and you can't let those go to waste, but you also picked up another accessory pack or two for this build and there's leftovers from those so now... :shepface:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Bandai has a bunch of small models for the remake of Space Battleship Yamato that can be got for usually less than $15.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

There's also Gundams.
*snip*

I own two real grade models... and.. i'm much less fond of them than the High Grade models I've built. They don't feel as well.. constructed. Things like toe, and heel bits slip off. But they DO do some fun tricks, like there's often linkages to make knees and arm parts move in concert. They're neat!

I am very happy with almost all of the HG Gundam 00 models. The Gundam build divers stuff... I am quite disappointed in. They're floppy and don't hold together well. But the completionist in me has me buying all the models. :-( For variety, the Iron Blooded Orphans stuff really runs the gamut, along with having an internal frame (like the RG and MG kits) they also have a really wide variety of kits to chose from. Some of them are "robot with big weapon" to "these almost transform".

................ So I've spent far to much on these models since the lockdown......

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cthulu Carl posted:

Bandai has a bunch of small models for the remake of Space Battleship Yamato that can be got for usually less than $15.

The "mecha collection" models are very good for the price, easy to assemble and with very sharp detail. I expect they'll take airbrushing very well when I get around to them.

Here's a good list of what's available:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=&state=&sortid=0&searchkey=mecha+collection&Make=Bandai&spage=1&sold=1

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yeah yeah yeah, double post.

So.. this is why I fell down the modeling rabbit hole. I wanted to "understand" how big Gundam were. I'm a bit of a plane nerd, and I have a real grasp of how large airplanes are.

The F-14 is a big plane. And they're not even commonly on display. The last time I touched one was when I was.. 15 or 16 at Forbes Field. So.. a while ago. Now, I have been to Oshkosh a few times, in the last few years. So I built some planes that I was more closely familliar with.

I still need to do a few more decals on that F-14. The F-16 required an upsetting amount of putty.

I built a Mig 21... well I was going to try to justify it. But come on, the silliest mach fighter built? (EG: takes off empty, lands even emptier) This workholding was... something else. Some blue-tac to hold the landing gear in place, and a bag clip to hold the plane.

I'm "ok" with how it turned out. I lost some parts, so the landing gear doors are cut up soda cans.

So... "giant robots fighting" is a thing. I loved macross. Still do, honestly. I was able to find a VF-1s kit...

It turns out, the Valkyerie is a very tiny "giant" robot. And it's even a tiny fighter jet. It's around the same size as an A-4

I'm unreasonably proud of this P-51.

And since I had the A4, and F14, I thought a F4 might fit in.. This was my first time doing camo. I haven't figured out how to properly do the canopy yet.

Finally, what is currently on the desk. A 1:144 scale P-47.

Well.. I don't have any shots of the F-15... so we'll pretend I'm not working on that right now.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

AK Interactive makes hobby supplies. And also,

I don't have a good screencap of the Rwandan Genocide advertisement, but it was much like this.

Their product launch was moved up to account for the sudden torrent of negative press, but when your product is this, maybe it would have been best just to cancel the whole project.

What you're not seeing on the build-a-crime-against-humanity-diorama guidebook page are the preorder options, which included scale models for things like a machete attack victim, or a drowned child.

AK has issued something approaching a public apology, but it boils down to "we're sorry you don't appreciate our genius." They're also deleting negative comments off the article.

Mostly sharing this because I enjoy a good trainwreck as much as the next SA poster, but maybe keep this in mind next time you need to pick up some paint.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
God damnit I use AK all the time

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The "mecha collection" models are very good for the price, easy to assemble and with very sharp detail. I expect they'll take airbrushing very well when I get around to them.

Here's a good list of what's available:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=&state=&sortid=0&searchkey=mecha+collection&Make=Bandai&spage=1&sold=1

Yeah, for tiny models on just a couple sprues with instructions printed on the box, they're really enjoyable. I have a couple A-wings, the Millennium Falcon, an x-wing, a Cosmo Tiger 2, Andromeda, and a Dreadnought two pack in my backlog...

These might be more crack-like than Gunpla...

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A question for anyone who spray paints or airbrushes in an apartment. How well does your spray booth setup work? I'm thinking of getting one of those spray booths you see on eBay that has a fan and exhaust hose designed to exit out a window. If you're in a small apartment is this good enough to get all the fumes out? Mainly I'm concerned about lacquer fumes. I'd hate to have lingering fumes in my living room killing whatever few brain cells I have left.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

grassy gnoll posted:

I don't have a good screencap of the Rwandan Genocide advertisement, but it was much like this.

Their product launch was moved up to account for the sudden torrent of negative press, but when your product is this, maybe it would have been best just to cancel the whole project.

What you're not seeing on the build-a-crime-against-humanity-diorama guidebook page are the preorder options, which included scale models for things like a machete attack victim, or a drowned child.

AK has issued something approaching a public apology, but it boils down to "we're sorry you don't appreciate our genius." They're also deleting negative comments off the article.

Mostly sharing this because I enjoy a good trainwreck as much as the next SA poster, but maybe keep this in mind next time you need to pick up some paint.

Seems about typical force lot of euro modeling companies, which en masse seems to have little tact or respect for anything.

AK/Mig is also the company that felt the need to put some mail order russian bride model with her tits out in the early issues of their weathering magazine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Charliegrs posted:

A question for anyone who spray paints or airbrushes in an apartment. How well does your spray booth setup work? I'm thinking of getting one of those spray booths you see on eBay that has a fan and exhaust hose designed to exit out a window. If you're in a small apartment is this good enough to get all the fumes out? Mainly I'm concerned about lacquer fumes. I'd hate to have lingering fumes in my living room killing whatever few brain cells I have left.

I have a jury rigged booth with two fans sucking out the fumes. Based on the amount of grime building up around/inside the hose it's working. I wear a respirator when I spray just in case. I don't use lacquer though, so YMMV.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's stuff out there, but nothing cheap. Stuff like Star Wars is cheap because they can make a million kits. Lesser known or custom work is much more expensive because they sell way less copies. Warhammer is expensive mostly because Games Workshop are assholes.

Industria Mechanika
Pegasus Hobbies
CultTVMan
Moebius Models
Maschinen Krieger (Ma.K) (various japanase companies, various models)
Monsters In Motion

You're not kidding about the pricing, but some of those kits are incredibly cool and unexpected. I never would have thought to google a machine tank from T2 but now I want it.

deadly_pudding posted:

There's also Gundams.

I probably should have mentioned that I already build and paint those. Mostly MG, but I've seen some people on youtube take a HG and make it into something puts most MG to shame which is inspiring until I try to do scribing and end up with depression.

Charliegrs posted:

I airbrush with acrylic in an apartment. Sometimes I have a fan on aiming towards an open sliding glass door, other times I just use a respirator until about 5 minutes after I finish spraying. This isn't an ideal setup, but since buying the respirator I no longer feel ill after spraying. Then again I spent three years working with various glitters and chemicals for a company that provided nothing more than "Lol don't spill that expensive poo poo" so yeah.

I've read quite a few posts in this thread giving good reviews to some of the models on Amazon of the style you're describing. As long as you're not spraying far from the booth I can't imagine you having any problems.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Charliegrs posted:

I go to the grocery store in the morning when they're restocking and take one of their empty boxes. They don't care, because it's just going to the compactor anyway, but also ask anyway, because it's the nice thing to do. At home, I then break it down into a flat piece of card board, then I take it out to the nearest patch of grass and spray my models on it.

Alternatively when I was in my last, lovely, apartment, I just did it out on the deck and didn't give a poo poo about overspray.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

This seems like a sensitive and nuanced promotional campaign.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I go to the grocery store in the morning when they're restocking and take one of their empty boxes. They don't care, because it's just going to the compactor anyway, but also ask anyway, because it's the nice thing to do. At home, I then break it down into a flat piece of card board, then I take it out to the nearest patch of grass and spray my models on it.

Alternatively when I was in my last, lovely, apartment, I just did it out on the deck and didn't give a poo poo about overspray.

Painting outside on my patio has been the way I've been doing it but where it live it's basically 110°+ F every day so my paint is literally drying before it hits model and I'm getting awful orange peeling from it. Just once I'd like to paint in a nice temperature controlled environment. I just don't want to be living in lacquer fumes lol

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

grassy gnoll posted:

AK Interactive makes hobby supplies

On a related note, I bought a copy of FAQ2 last month - the end of the bunch has pictures of Mig hanging out with different modelling clubs. The Virginia one features a guy in an SS tshirt. I guess he is just a big fan of history?! Real cool hobby I got myself into!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

boba fetacheese posted:

On a related note, I bought a copy of FAQ2 last month - the end of the bunch has pictures of Mig hanging out with different modelling clubs. The Virginia one features a guy in an SS tshirt. I guess he is just a big fan of history?! Real cool hobby I got myself into!

I think in this guys case he's just a fan of Sugary Snacks.