Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's actually funny reading long old books like The Count of Monte Cristo and realising these were originally published per chapter in newspapers back in the day, and probably attracted almost the exact same kind of following, with endless speculation, arguments, shipping wars and fan fiction. Sherlock Holmes certainly had plenty, and that was pretty much episodic.

Yes. They were paid by word and/or chapter, so poo poo got padded hard.

And yes, you had authors get accosted in the streets by turbofans, as well as people writing their own fanfiction.

Just another bit of "Nothing ever changes in human nature". You still had stalker nerds 150 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Durf posted:

thank god. maybe we won't have Atriedes Funko Pops

https://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/funko-coming-soon-pop-movies-dune-classic/

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The big question the movie raises to me is: is it going to make fans smarter and more desirous of better fare? Or will fans just take the surface and the memorable lines and interpret it as just another story about a knight killing a dragon?

Because that's all SW and HP are. Same old story.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

phasmid posted:

The big question the movie raises to me is: is it going to make fans smarter and more desirous of better fare? Or will fans just take the surface and the memorable lines and interpret it as just another story about a knight killing a dragon?

I think you already know the answer to this.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think it depends on how much the movie(s) comment on the dangers of great man/chosen one/monomyth. The book ends with the coronation of a monster that is soon to unleash a nightmare upon humanity that he cant stop or control. Villeneuve has said Paul is like Michael Corleone which isnt a terrible comparison so he seems to get it. I just don't know how far they are willing to go with it in a major movie

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

What is a relatively DMCA proof host (asking for a friend)?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Behold: literally my first introduction to DUNE

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

let's try this, don't click if you don't want to see it, etc.: https://streamable.com/qr2avv

100% potato quality but at least I synced the audio

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

let's try this, don't click if you don't want to see it, etc.: https://streamable.com/qr2avv

Dear god let this movie be good. My beefswelling needs relief. Trailer is about as encouraging as I could hope for

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Anne Frank Funk posted:

is there even a phone that records video like this in 2020? Did someone sneak a Nokia 7650 in the theater?

this is all on purpose isn't it?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Look on the bright side, this doesn't have the blown out highlights like the leaked frames, and as I said, the audio used to be out of sync.

Yes, this is all on purpose.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Look on the bright side, this doesn't have the blown out highlights like the leaked frames, and as I said, the audio used to be out of sync.

Yes, this is all on purpose.

Don"t get me wrong. This potato-filmed teaser got me HYPED AS gently caress

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

preparing 72p version with monaural audio (left channel only)

art house cinema

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think it depends on how much the movie(s) comment on the dangers of great man/chosen one/monomyth. The book ends with the coronation of a monster that is soon to unleash a nightmare upon humanity that he cant stop or control. Villeneuve has said Paul is like Michael Corleone which isnt a terrible comparison so he seems to get it. I just don't know how far they are willing to go with it in a major movie

What's funny is that the Godfather came out at about the same time as Dune and they were both works of such craft that it's really unlikely the two authors were sharing anything major to osmose so quickly (before their books were out, that is). Emergent consciousness, some might say. There were SO MANY similarities in those two books that I had a hard time believing Puzo didn't redraft his book after reading Dune. Hah. However the comparison between the characters, I can see.

As for how "far"... it's an ambitious movie with an obviously ambitious group of people behind it. I don't see any reason to shy away from the heavier stuff. That's part of the story anyway.

I'm not worried. The motifs the director is using indicate to me that he's plenty comfortable without the sappiness of other sci-fi fantasy.

e. Elaboration

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think you already know the answer to this.

I shall not fear.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 29, 2020

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yeah, I gotta say, this is the first time in a while a trailer has really had my attention. lol

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I love that the ornithopter's wings seem not to flap but to vibrate. Very clever way to make it look like advanced tech and not like some kind of steampunk tech

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Godfather also has people doing a bad reading of the first one thinking the protagonist is a good guy with a sequel designed to beat you over the head that he's evil. poo poo, I guess that makes Children of Dune Godfather Part III

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Disappointed they stopped Godfather at 3 tbh

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The ending should feel more rosemarys baby (anxiety and revelation) and midsommar (internally for paul) than star wars medal ceremony. Or put differently it's the medal ceremony but even more like triumph of the will. It should be horrific and Lynch couldnt get there

skasion posted:

Disappointed they stopped Godfather at 3 tbh

Al Pacino's face on the end of a gigantic 3500 year old cannoli

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

phasmid posted:

Did Bladerunner 2049? Or Arrival?

Reception will probably be similar and I'd be fine with that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Neither really had a huge cultural impact, like plenty of people went to see them but it wasn't a Huge Deal

Also afaict that leak is just a short teaser for a full trailer in September?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Ingmar terdman posted:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Neither really had a huge cultural impact, like plenty of people went to see them but it wasn't a Huge Deal

Also afaict that leak is just a short teaser for a full trailer in September?

Yes, teaser on 31st, trailer a week later

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sofia Coppola @godfatherdirector

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

"It means Luca Brassi sleeps with the Fish Speakers"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Harkonnen's a pimp. He could never have outfought Duncan. But I never knew until this day it was the Padishah all along.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The person coming out of the liquid, is that our first look at Vladimir Harkonnen?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

The person coming out of the liquid, is that our first look at Vladimir Harkonnen?

that's him all right, the lovable scamp.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Don't ask me about my business, Irulan.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That's my family, Chani. That's not me.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
IN MY CAVE WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS

Where my Duncans go to train with their toys

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Just realized I couldve said "no-room where my hwi sleeps."

This is worse than missing the sunny derail. :( Chani McDuncan :D

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

"Leave the knife, take the water."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That poo poo looks incredible.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes. They were paid by word and/or chapter, so poo poo got padded hard.

Dumas even hired collaborators to help him write his gargantuan books because, if you're being paid by the word, then it can become profitable to pay people to write more words than you can put out by yourself!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I love The Count of Monte Christo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

score reminds me of babylon 5 theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w560Q8ELOg

not a bad thing

Adbot