Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
FYI - charges against Blake have not been shot. He did have a valid warrant out because he allegedly entered his ex girlfriend's house, sexually assaulted her, and took her car.

He has been uncuffed because he posted bond. As of Friday according to news I just read, his criminal case is still active. I could look it up again, but I trust cnn.

e: I say none of this in a victim blaming manner. The cops beat the poo poo out of him before shooting him 7 times in the back. There is zero excuse for that and that cop should face attempted murder charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ah gently caress, I saw a tweet saying the cuffs were removed and the charges were dropped. But yeah, hard agree on charging the cops with attempted murder charges.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Players reaching out to Obama ≠ Obama jumping in to end the strike. Real loving weird that a majority black league would reach out to the first black president :rolleyes:

Also "practically nothing" in this case was getting the owners to turn arenas into voting centers and spending money to drive turnout among other things.

LeBron's also been putting his money where his mouth is in trying to fix poll worker shortages and polling places getting closed due to "lack of polling workers"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/us/politics/lebron-james-poll-workers.html

Like if you wanna be disappointed with that, go wild, but shouting they got nothing and that Obama shut it down is just stupid and wrong as gently caress.

Fuuuuuuck

im sure voting will stop cops from killing black people

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
everything is pointless, nothing matters, we'll all die slow and painful deaths, and the memories of our existence will quickly fade into nothingness

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Google Butt posted:

"Just vote" is the liberal equivalent of "thoughts and prayers."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

everything is pointless, nothing matters, we'll all die slow and painful deaths, and the memories of our existence will quickly fade into nothingness

An optimist I see

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

Asking this in good faith, what did you realistically expect them to do here?

That's a lot of the problem/discussion - a lot of people are cheering for LEAVE THE BUBBLE KILL THE SEASON without really thinking about the endgame. And a lot of Online Libs are like LOL OF COURSE THEY WENT TO OBAMA and OH OF COURSE MICHAEL JORDAN WAS INVOLVED like those are bad things.

Would that improve the already-slim chance of local government action? Will eyeballs moving from games to decentralized, localized, player-led protests increase voting? Will all the players be united in post-bubble advocacy, or will some just chill at home? Can the non-star players afford it? Is it better to just play out the season, since it's scheduled to end pre-election anyways? What about the players that are politically conservative?

They got a whole bunch of poo poo that they didn't get before - most Community Organizers would say that's grounds for a neighborhood-wide party. The owners weren't going to lend stadiums and money to voter outreach efforts - most sports team owners are conservatives.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Google Butt posted:

Anyone telling you to "just vote" to stop cops from killing black people is an ignorant rear end in a top hat. Anyone telling you that voting is pointless and there's no reason to do so is also an ignorant rear end in a top hat. Hope this helps.

facialimpediment posted:

That's a lot of the problem/discussion - a lot of people are cheering for LEAVE THE BUBBLE KILL THE SEASON without really thinking about the endgame. And a lot of Online Libs are like LOL OF COURSE THEY WENT TO OBAMA and OH OF COURSE MICHAEL JORDAN WAS INVOLVED like those are bad things.

Would that improve the already-slim chance of local government action? Will eyeballs moving from games to decentralized, localized, player-led protests increase voting? Will all the players be united in post-bubble advocacy, or will some just chill at home? Can the non-star players afford it? Is it better to just play out the season, since it's scheduled to end pre-election anyways? What about the players that are politically conservative?

They got a whole bunch of poo poo that they didn't get before - most Community Organizers would say that's grounds for a neighborhood-wide party. The owners weren't going to lend stadiums and money to voter outreach efforts - most sports team owners are conservatives.

This is pretty much where I'm at with it. To boot, seeing that it's mostly white people whining about how players from a majority black sports league approached Obama or that they got nothing is a bit cringey to say the least.

I realize most people here don't like Obama. That's fine and you're not wrong for disliking him for the reasons that get brought up here from time to time, but you're really dumb if you think Obama is PNG'd in the black community because the DSA doesn't like him. Hell even outside the black community, he is still insanely popular. It shouldn't really shock anyone that some people still look to him for any sort of guidance despite how anyone here might feel about him.

EDIT: This was a solid read on the whole thing.
https://newrepublic.com/maz/article/159157/nba-strike-milwaukee-bucks-class-race-politics

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 29, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anyone telling you to "just vote" to stop cops from killing black people is an ignorant rear end in a top hat. Anyone telling you that voting is pointless and there's no reason to do so is also an ignorant rear end in a top hat. Hope this helps.

One thing I forgot - a lot of people are missing the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions. Voting is by no means sufficient, but it's sure necessary - national routes to change are currently blocked by McConnell's Senate and Donnie openly complaining on TV that cops aren't allowed to be rough anymore. Kicking those fucks out or diminishing their power isn't sufficient, but it's necessary, then you can go after the next steps. Can't just jump from Step 1 to Step 69.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This was Lebron having his Mohammad Ali moment and Obama is telling him he could do the most good by joining the draft for Vietnam. gently caress outta here

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

One thing I forgot - a lot of people are missing the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions. Voting is by no means sufficient, but it's sure necessary - national routes to change are currently blocked by McConnell's Senate and Donnie openly complaining on TV that cops aren't allowed to be rough anymore. Kicking those fucks out or diminishing their power isn't sufficient, but it's necessary, then you can go after the next steps. Can't just jump from Step 1 to Step 69.

The Democrats aren't gonna do poo poo to stop police violence whether they're in power or not. They've shown this countless times on this and many other issues over the past 20 years.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1299795322957369345?s=20

Comrade Daou continues to be good

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Vore

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Known Good Guy who just wants to sell some sneakers Michael Jordan

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

facialimpediment posted:

I believe the argument was "But you see the owners are billionaires and can tell the state and local government and PD what to do".

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

It hit a few hours east. We didn't even get any rain in Houston. I think even Beaumont got off relatively lightly.

Cameron and Holly Beach are pretty much gone though, and Lake Charles got really torn up by the wind. Pictures will focus on the worst, of course, but it looks like wood framed houses got shredded en masse. Reminds me of what Andrew did to Miami.

The most active season on record was 2005. That's the year they ran out of alphabet and had to use Greek letters. Katrina hit at the end of August. We just got through the letter M. :thumbsup:

Maybe 2020 will be the year we get a Hurricane Omega.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Discussion Quorum posted:

The most active season on record was 2005. That's the year they ran out of alphabet and had to use Greek letters. Katrina hit at the end of August. We just got through the letter M. :thumbsup:

Nana and Omar are up next.

HE COMIN'

BigDave posted:

Eat Arbys. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 29, 2020

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Fister Roboto posted:

The Democrats aren't gonna do poo poo to stop police violence whether they're in power or not. They've shown this countless times on this and many other issues over the past 20 years.

So who will?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

So who will?

Oh just you wait until the people who stay home from voting and instead post on the internet have their say!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at with it. To boot, seeing that it's mostly white people whining about how players from a majority black sports league approached Obama or that they got nothing is a bit cringey to say the least.

I realize most people here don't like Obama. That's fine and you're not wrong for disliking him for the reasons that get brought up here from time to time, but you're really dumb if you think Obama is PNG'd in the black community because the DSA doesn't like him. Hell even outside the black community, he is still insanely popular. It shouldn't really shock anyone that some people still look to him for any sort of guidance despite how anyone here might feel about him.

You've hared off into an argument about celebrity, not reality. Go outside and see who's whining about what.

Mustang posted:

So who will?

There's a long road ahead of creating political organizations capable of and interested in protecting the lives of working people, but it's work worth doing even if success turns out to be impossible, or at least impossible in our lifetimes.

But hey, sometimes things can change quickly.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Doc Hawkins posted:

You've hared off into an argument about celebrity, not reality. Go outside and see who's whining about what.

The gently caress I did. If you don't want to engage with my argument, no skin off my back, but don't pretend I'm the one who came in and made the initial argument about Obama and LeBron betraying BLM/the movement.

Also funny enough, I've been outside and I've been in downtown DC for some of the protests, spoiler, twitter and the forums ain't real life.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Handsome Ralph posted:

The gently caress I did. If you don't want to engage with my argument, no skin off my back, but don't pretend I'm the one who came in and made the initial argument about Obama and LeBron betraying BLM/the movement.

Also funny enough, I've been outside and I've been in downtown DC for some of the protests, spoiler, twitter and the forums ain't real life.

Yeah, NBA strike has been the only news I ever talked about with liquor store man. I was all " ugh Thanks Obama" and he was all "same".

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hey guys! Want a feel good??? Ya?? Here you go!

quote:

(CNN)Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has asked a judge to dismiss murder charges against him in the death of George Floyd.
In court papers Friday, Chauvin's attorney says there is not probable cause to support charges of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's a... bold strategy.

17 angles of videos is just not enough to convict me, and I should know because I'm an expert on not wanting to go to jail.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Michael McFaul had an interesting comparison between Trump at Putin shortly after the RNC event at the White House. It is in the form of a Twitter thread, so I tried to unroll it here.

quote:

For those of us who study autocracies, including elections in autocracies, there were a lot of familiar messages, symbols, and methods on display this week at the #RNCConvention.
  1. Cult of the Personality. This show was all about Trump. ( 3 years after the death of Stalin, Khrushchev's gave his secret speech in 1956, titled "On the Cult of Personality and Its Consequences." I wonder if a future GOP leader will give a similar speech someday?)

2. Administrative resources. Autocrats and semi-autocrats frequently use government resources for personal electoral gain. We have #HatchAct to prevent such behavior in the U.S. It's obviously not working.

3. Blatant disregard for the law. That Trump's team dared anyone to charge them with violating the #HatchAct is exactly what Putin and others autocrats do all the time. Laws don't apply to the king & his court, only to the subjects.

4. Blatant disregard for facts. As U.S. ambassador to Russia, I found this Putin regime trait most frustrating. We - the U.S. government- were constrained by facts. They were not. Trump obviously was not constrained by facts last night. He usually isn't:
    Donald Trump and His Assault on Truth: The President's Falsehoods, Misleading Claims and Flat-Out Lies

5. Us versus Them populism. "Elites" versus "the people" nationalism. Autocratic populists use polarizing identity politics to divide societies all the time. Many populist leaders actually have little in common with the "masses." (Putin is very rich.)

6. The opposition is the "enemy of the people." Putin & other autocratic populists cast their opponents as radicals & revolutionaries. They don't focus on their own records - often there is little to celebrate - but the horrors that will happen if they lose power. Sound familiar?

There is one difference between Putin and Trump so far. Putin also claims falsely that his political opponents are supported by foreign enemies, the U.S. & the West. Trump has not gone there full-throated yet. But my guess it's coming. "Beijing Biden" is a hint.

7. Law and Order. Autocratic populists all shout about it, even when the opposite is happening on their watch.

8. The good tsar versus the bad boyars. Kings and tsars always blamed bad provincial leaders for national ills. Putin blames the governors all the time... just like Trump.

9. Individual acts of royal kindness. Putin, like the tsars he emulates, does this all the time. Trump offering a pardon or "granting" citizenship (which of course he didnt & doesn't have the power to do) are typical, faux gestures of royal kindness toward his subjects.

10. Homage and fealty. Vassals must signal their complete loyalty and absolute devotion to kings and autocrats. Those that don't are banished from the royal court or the party. (Where were the Bushes last night?)

11. The royal family. In this dimension, Trump acts more like a monarch than even Putin. (but watch Lukashenko and his gun-toting teenage son in Belarus)The many Trump family members who performed this week - even a girlfriend got a slot - went beyond even what Putin does.

12. There's still one big difference. We still don't know who will win the November election. That uncertainty is a crucial difference between electoral democracies & electoral autocracies. Its also a difference that has no guarantee of lasting, depending on the outcome this year

For further reading on populists in comparative perspective, see this report by @AnnaGBusse @FukuyamaFrancis @didikuo1 and me: Global Populisms and Their Challenges

For further reading on electoral autocracies, see this review article: THE ERA OF ELECTORAL AUTHORITARIANISM

It really makes me wonder if there is an upside for having presidential debates this election, like its rasslin' with a pig where showmanship and scoring points overshadows any meaningful discussion of issues. Nobody's mind is going to be changed by that and it's only purpose is another opportunity to gather shameful soundbites. And maybe the world gets a new Ken Bone.

A vice presidential debate might be more subdued and substantial, though.

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1299393438522077190

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I used this analogy earlier elsewhere: Voting is like brushing your teeth. A part of good hygiene when practiced regularly and well. It is not a solution in and of itself. Larger systemic changes need to occur and voting is one of the many simultaneous avenues that must be pursued.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't Ken Bone a total perv

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been to a few protests too, and I don't remember hearing any "vote for the Democrats because they'll definitely fix things" chants.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

M_Gargantua posted:

I used this analogy earlier elsewhere: Voting is like brushing your teeth. A part of good hygiene when practiced regularly and well. It is not a solution in and of itself. Larger systemic changes need to occur and voting is one of the many simultaneous avenues that must be pursued.

Pretty much.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't Ken Bone a total perv

IIRC, he had some weird Reddit posting history on some fetish subs but nothing super gross or hosed up.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Lake of Methane posted:

Michael McFaul had an interesting comparison between Trump at Putin shortly after the RNC event at the White House. It is in the form of a Twitter thread, so I tried to unroll it here.

It really makes me wonder if there is an upside for having presidential debates this election, like its rasslin' with a pig where showmanship and scoring points overshadows any meaningful discussion of issues. Nobody's mind is going to be changed by that and it's only purpose is another opportunity to gather shameful soundbites. And maybe the world gets a new Ken Bone.

A vice presidential debate might be more subdued and substantial, though.

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1299393438522077190
A lot of stuff on that list checks the boxes on Umberto Eco's Ur-Fascism essay, something I point dipshits to every time they try to tell me that "ANTIFA are the real fascists"

I haven't expect anything positive from a debate for a while, given how limply they've been moderated. Why would this time be an exception?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pretty much.

IIRC, he had some weird Reddit posting history on some fetish subs but nothing super gross or hosed up.

Beautiful human submarines iirc

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

But, a new development is that we appear to be exporting our stupid and it's Kinda Not Great.

https://twitter.com/QanonAnonymous/status/1299731517392826368

You thought Russia would work out how to leverage social media to bring out the worst in people in one western democracy and call it a day? (or was it that anti-antifa posting from Krasnoyarsk? I lose track).

e: left out a significant prefix.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 30, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Lake of Methane posted:

It really makes me wonder if there is an upside for having presidential debates this election, like its rasslin' with a pig where showmanship and scoring points overshadows any meaningful discussion of issues. Nobody's mind is going to be changed by that and it's only purpose is another opportunity to gather shameful soundbites.

I both agree and disagree - the debates might not change minds, but it's the rare instance where every single news source has the same event showing. It's very rare that all sides see the same thing, even if the interpretation/perspectives of it is different. Nowadays, there aren't many similar events like that.

Anyways, enjoy this NBA Moment:

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpears/status/1299842292547817472?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm skimming past a full day of cool zone posts because what the gently caress when did Hardees ditch the cinnamon raisin biscuit?!?

Motherfucker I'm here for two things, raisins and bacon grease, and you're telling me you're out of both?

No wonder poo poo's on fire

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

MA-Horus posted:

Beautiful human submarines iirc

...do I want to know

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Was just at a protest and had a pro-Trump counter protestor show up, start a fight, and then put a gun in my face with his finger on the trigger. Thankfully a cop showed up and he was disarmed before shooting anyone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Jesus. I’m glad nothing happened and you’re unharmed. You ok?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

...do I want to know

It’s a direct quote from him. He really likes pregnancy porn.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah I’m ok. Pretty surreal all in all. Angry old white man pointing a gun at me yelling to get on the loving ground when I just saved him from getting his face smashed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I have stopped talking to white people in general.

gently caress em.