Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My gut says the answer is no, but does extra vram benefit VR at all? Ultimately I'm going to want the best non-overkill card that can run MSFS2020 in VR well, just sucks VR mode won't be available for quite a while after the cards launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

My gut says the answer is no, but does extra vram benefit VR at all?
Not really, VR graphics are fairly simple compared to flatgames so they can easily stay at 90+ fps.

quote:

Ultimately I'm going to want the best non-overkill card that can run MSFS2020 in VR well
this doesn't exist. you're going to want the most expensive card of the generation after the next (so like, 2024?) to maybe hit 90fps. currently people report sub-30fps performance on reasonably priced cards with settings cranked up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Isn’t MSFS2020 primarily constrained by CPU and system memory/hard drive speed, with GPU being a distant concern?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't buy a GPU now for future use. Especially for something like MSFS that will be running on an entirely different renderer than the current one, it's impossible to make any reasonable predictions about how anything will work out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm planning to buy a card that targets 1440p@144 regardless, I just don't want to be in a situation where I bought the 10gb 3080 and it struggles vs the 20gb 3080. But also yeah, FS2020 is definitely a case where in 10 years modern cards can finally run it at like 90-120fps and we all laugh at people that dropped 3090 cash back in the day.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Lockback posted:

The better a 3090 sells the more likely a 3090ti is announced a year from now.

This seems like a low probability to me. I don't think there's anything better until Hopper.

I mean, they never really even came that close to meeting the 2080Ti let alone beating it. If anything they purposefully avoided doing that. The 2070S was functionally a 2080, but the 2080S was not functionally a 2080Ti (though it did close the gap).

Beating the 3090 feels like a bad marketing play. Paying a large adopt tax on the top unit means a LOT less if there's something better before the next gen. It would tarnish the long term value prop of such a card and make people less willing to pay top dollar at launch. In my opinion, that's why they would think twice about topping the 2080Ti even if they could have.

Also, every indication we have is that the 3090 pushes the limits of the architecture such that making a tier above that seems like it would be... difficult.

If the 3090 was launching on 8nm and there could be a 7nm super refresh next year, it would have made more sense.

What makes way more sense to me is a 3080Ti that closes the gap between the 3080 and 3090. It's ok for a card to come pretty close to the 3090, but meeting or topping it is when you start to have weird implications for future consumer buying patterns.

Enos Cabell posted:

My gut says the answer is no, but does extra vram benefit VR at all? Ultimately I'm going to want the best non-overkill card that can run MSFS2020 in VR well, just sucks VR mode won't be available for quite a while after the cards launch.

Arguably the last remaining question on the high end Amperes is the specific tech/software that is making the skus more than the sum of their parts- tensor and RT core performance, lightly rumored compression tech, etc. DLSS 2.1, whatever the gently caress else they are tying in. We don't know poo poo about any of these things.

Basically what I'm saying is that we won't know this until the launch on the 1st, most likely. All we know right now is the base physical specs of the cards, but that's really not the full story. There could theoretically be something to take advantage of the RAM, or not.

This is also why it's pointless to speculate about the supposed performance difference between the 3080 and 3090 based on the raw specs we have right now, but that's a different topic.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 29, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Calling it now - the RTX TRI-TAN, which is just two 3090's bolted together, bringing back the old single PCB dual GPU concept from the 690 era. Needs it's own power supply to function and costs slightly less than Moldova.

this is not going to happen

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I know the vram use has been console constrained previously but my 1080ti I don't think has ever come close to the limit even with high res texture packs and whatever settings maxed out. I'm also imagining the fallout that someone previously alluded to where the 10gig cards aren't enough to power games with almost everything turned up and how pissed I'd be paying 1k or whatever for that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

RTX TitanTi

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

DisplayPort 2.0 was finalized in June 2019 with massive bandwidth, even higher than HDMI 2.1, it just needs more time to get implemented

HDMI 2.1 was released in January 2017 and we're only just seeing source devices now with Ampere and the new consoles

Yes, I know DP 2.0 exists now, my point is that VESA is literally multiple years behind HDMI and that’s an eternity in tech especially when all the current panels are limited by the cabling standards and have been for years.

DP 2.0 really should have been finalized in 2017 as well. Or earlier for that matter. Then we could have had 4K144 monitors that can, you know, actually run at 4K144 without workarounds like chroma subsampling or 6-bit color or losing VRR (multi cable).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 29, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm planning to buy a card that targets 1440p@144 regardless, I just don't want to be in a situation where I bought the 10gb 3080 and it struggles vs the 20gb 3080. But also yeah, FS2020 is definitely a case where in 10 years modern cards can finally run it at like 90-120fps and we all laugh at people that dropped 3090 cash back in the day.

You'll be fine with 10GB. The total install base, even with Ampere, that will have 10GB VRAM will still be like <15% of the overall market, so even if some games come out so badly optimized that they use more than 10GB, it'll be a matter of turning a setting or two down to get back in the envelope, else the game would be trash on 85% of systems.

Also keep in mind that the 20GB 3080 has only shown up as "TBA" for I think one AIB maker so far, so there's a very solid chance that it won't be out until considerably after the 10GB model, if ever.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

AirRaid posted:

Calling it now - the RTX TRI-TAN, which is just two 3090's bolted together, bringing back the old single PCB dual GPU concept from the 690 era. Needs it's own power supply to function and costs slightly less than Moldova.

Dual PCB or get the gently caress out

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AirRaid posted:

Nah it'll be an external GPU enclosure with 3x 3090 cards in some frankensteined SLI setup that requires a 240 AIO, its own SFF modular power supply & connects with a proprietary USB-C to micro HDMI adapter

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
using 1600p/60 means this 2080 is still overkill. breaking the x80 upgrade cycle after 6 years is weird, oh well.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

The 3080 is ~33% faster than the 2080Ti.

Oh my. This is great to see as baseline.

Thanks for the link and info!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

RTiX

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They should make the card physically plug into three slots

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

why are protrusions out of the slot at the back of the case a taboo that nobody breaks ?

you can make a card that is so big that it won't fit in all cases but you cannot go through the slot and stick out even though literally nobody pushes their case up against a wall (I mean you physically can't because cables can only bend down so far) and nothing bends down immovably over the slots on the back of the case for any PC I have owned since... the 90s.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That actually seems like it could world pretty well. Heatpipe to fins outside the case.

Getting through the slots is the issue

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Qmass posted:

why are protrusions out of the slot at the back of the case a taboo that nobody breaks ?

you can make a card that is so big that it won't fit in all cases but you cannot go through the slot and stick out even though literally nobody pushes their case up against a wall (I mean you physically can't because cables can only bend down so far) and nothing bends down immovably over the slots on the back of the case for any PC I have owned since... the 90s.

You don't wanna put a part that gets meaningfully hot on the outside of your computer, where you might touch it accidentally when plugging in cables.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's why it comes with a snap on guard you put on after assembly. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Incessant Excess posted:

You don't wanna put a part that gets meaningfully hot on the outside of your computer, where you might touch it accidentally when plugging in cables.

Give it some kind of barrel-shroud looking heat shield. You could make bank by integrating RGB into the shield, I have no doubt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

of barrel-shroud looking heat shield

Bayonet attachment

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Honda Civic Type R(TX)

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Why are WI-FI cards so special... with their fancy antennas ? I want a heat pipe fin extension sticking out the back of my case damnit !

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Qmass posted:

Why are WI-FI cards so special... with their fancy antennas ? I want a heat pipe fin extension sticking out the back of my case damnit !

What the gently caress are you doing where your wi-fi antennas are dispersing 250 watts of heat?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Qmass posted:

A heat pipe directly through the wall to a copper water pipe that's part of my home's plumbing to dump heat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’d love an external heat sink I could put out my window in the winter/a windy day to dump heat.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

You got to think bigger.

Build a water park to cool a whole hidden bitcoin gpu farm.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Why don’t they go the 3dfx route and have an external power adapter? We wouldn’t need 3x 8pins setups.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Rabid Snake posted:

You got to think bigger.

Build a water park to cool a whole hidden bitcoin gpu farm.

only the poors live in a Zotac arcology

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Riflen posted:

Nothing.

repiv posted:

the licensing terms aren't public but "zero dollars" is a pretty safe bet, why would they want to impede adoption of a technology that greatly benefits them and not the competition

if anything nvidia will be spending money to embed devrel engineers in studios to implement it for them

Yeah, that was my understanding too, so I didn’t get why anyone would have to bribe NVIDIA. Must have misunderstood.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Why don’t they go the 3dfx route and have an external power adapter? We wouldn’t need 3x 8pins setups.

Can't wait to install 3-phase 480 volts wiring to connect my new 5090 in 10 years.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

if a PC has an external power supply does it become a console ?

Gyrotica posted:

What the gently caress are you doing where your wi-fi antennas are dispersing 250 watts of heat?
exactly ! They have even less reason and get excused. Surely we can justify shenanigans with these kinds of loads!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Anyway I think Nvidia has something better than the 3090 waiting in the wings. The leakers say there’s a 5376 core board - 3090 has 5248.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

shrike82 posted:

Anyway I think Nvidia has something better than the 3090 waiting in the wings. The leakers say there’s a 5376 core board - 3090 has 5248.

A 2% increase in core counts? I can't see, even at some insane clock speed, that being a worthwhile increase.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's probably a quadro with the fully unlocked chip and 48gb (maybe 96gb?) for a gazillion dollars

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Need to dig up the tweet but think the speculation was that it’d be a Titan/RTX8000 with 48GB of G6 RAM. Maybe they should do HBM?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
What if a GPU had a tower cooler, but instead of placing it all the way back over the PCIe slots, it was all the way up front. Take in cool air through the front panel and have it go straight through the GPU heatsink, leaving room under the GPU for some kind of normal card just in case you want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
What if the GPU had some kind of integral cooling system that takes cool air in and ejects it out the other side, but instead of projecting off the GPU PCB, you just screw the GPU wholly into it, and the rest of the components also fit into it as well. There's also room in this setup for a power supply unit powerful enough to provide power to all of the components.