Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
It feels like if they wanted to let it go they'd quit putting them on the Smash series. Instead it's just a dumb reminder to us about a series just enough people want.

I feel like they could get Harvest Moon, SimCity 2000 and SimEarth if they really wanted to: for example. Idk.

You telling me Blizzard's really holding tight to that Blackthorn claim? Or is that 2 mature 4 kids? Idk.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They already got an EA game on there, they should pony up the license for SimCity

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Did they keep Dr. Wright in the LA remake?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

American McGay posted:

Retro packs suck because they're the exact reason the NES/SNES Online lineups are trash.

Nah, the online lineup is trash because Nintendo is trash. They own hundreds of games and could put them on the service at any time.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
to be fair when you look at the list of SNES games included, the only 'Nintendo' games that are missing are Earthbound and DKC2-3

it's a really solid line-up and while I'm not saying anyone in here is saying this, I do often see people basically saying "okay yeah it's got some okay games like [some greatest games of all time], but when is it going to get Pro Sport Hockey? ? ??"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bees x1000 posted:

Nah, the online lineup is trash because Nintendo is trash. They own hundreds of games and could put them on the service at any time.
Compare it to the lineup from the SNES Mini. It's definitely a 3rd party thing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bleck posted:

to be fair when you look at the list of SNES games included, the only 'Nintendo' games that are missing are Earthbound and DKC2-3

it's a really solid line-up and while I'm not saying anyone in here is saying this, I do often see people basically saying "okay yeah it's got some okay games like [some greatest games of all time], but when is it going to get Pro Sport Hockey? ? ??"

not gonna lie, TMNT IV is my white whale in terms of a retro release

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They could probably put every snes game ever released on the console, but that's a lot of games and it would make it harder to scroll down to play the first level of super Mario world for the hundredth time. And for what? Airbiz? 3 Ninjas Kick Back? Bronkie the Bronchiasaurus?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They already got an EA game on there, they should pony up the license for SimCity

Nah, EA should just do a proper SimCity 2k/3k remake for Switch with touchscreen support.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Mr Phillby posted:

I have a 8bitdo and its great except that I have to pair the drat thing everytime I use it. Even when it technically has a pairing with the console it still won't connect until you open up the 'change grip order' menu. I have no idea why.

I only use it for multiplayer stuff but needing a second controller to pair the 8bitdo everytime you power the console on might be inconvenient for TV singleplayer.

Also gently caress sake at that paper mario article, I liked Origami King just fine but if you're committed to pushing the series away from its RPG roots please make a game that does not feature RPG style turn based battles at all. Its the insistence that they're 'doing something different' while just doing the same thing but basic and flawed that I find very frustrating.

That’s weird, have you updated the firmware? Mine you just press start and it pairs pretty quickly.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://nintendoeverything.com/paper-mario-dev-unsure-if-the-series-will-continue-to-move-away-from-rpg-roots/

Dev for Paper Mario: OK talks about how they moved away from the RPG roots, but that doesn't mean it'll be forever.

LMAO the delusion springs eternal. Paper Mario Cycle is the new Sonic Cycle. Folks need to let it go, TYD was 16 years ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There have been twice as many non-RPG Paper Mario games as there have been RPG ones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
All Paper Mario games are non-RPG. They have RPG elements but they are closer to action adventures than anything else.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

?????

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All games are RPGs you're playing the role of the main character

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

JonathonSpectre posted:

Who gots Windbound? Is it worth $30?

I was really looking towards this and the reviews put me off but I ended up getting it because the sailing looks so good. It's not worth the full price.

It's a survival/crafting game and if you die you have to start from the beginning. It's okay though since I'm not sure if you even can die if you aren't a moron. Instead of a big open world the game is divided into 5 chapters with all of them having the same structure. Each chapter has multiple (randomly generated) islands scattered around and you have to find 3 stone towers, activate them and then find a gate to go to the next chapter.

The combat isn't really good and there's no gyro aiming for slings/bows. For close combat you just press a button to lock to the target, hit with one button and dodge with another and that's it. The sailing is where the game really shines. When you're building your boat you will build it from components instead of just picking a boat from the menu. If you wanna sail on a raft then you can build a raft. If you don't want to row you can build a sail or multiple sails. Or if you build 2 canoes or boats and combine them with a raft you'll get a catamaran. I haven't found any limits to how big/complicated boat you can make. There are other stuff like figureheads and containers you can build as well. The wind direction plays a big part as well since you can't sail directly into the wind and you have to either fasten or loose your sails depending on where you want to go.

There's definitely a good base for a great game there, the music is great and the visuals are amazing and the sailing and shipbuilding is superb. It just falls short in everything else.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

American McGay posted:

Retro packs suck because they're the exact reason the NES/SNES Online lineups are trash.

The Castlevania pack is pretty good though.

I disagree. For $20 a year Nintendo is not going to give publishers enough money for them to put games like Mega Man, Final Fantasy, etc. On the NES/SNES apps. It's collections or nothing.

Nintendo could put out a lot more first party content on them. Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings should be there for starters.

Speaking of this, I just got my 2DS XL yesterday and spent the morning modding it so it now plays NES through DS ROMs. You drove me to this Nintendo.

(I will still buy rereleases on the switch if they ever come, which they won't)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 29, 2020

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Castlevania pack is anemic,
ALSO NOT HYNOSPACE OUTLAW.
FIND ME HYNOCRIME NOW!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I think the SNES lineup is really nice. In the past year, I've beaten Super Mario World (for the first time!) and LttP, and I'm currently finishing up Super Metroid. Those are three of the best games ever made, and they were released right off the bat.

People want stuff like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy and, yeah, those would be great, but they aren't first-party Nintendo games, so Nintendo can't unilaterally decide to re-release them. As for why Square-Enix doesn't release them, either through the SNES app or separately, I have no idea.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
With PanePon out now, pretty much the only domestic Nintendo releases left for SNES Online are Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and DKC 2/3, right?

There’s lots of good SNES stuff left from third parties that would likely not end up in a collection:

Pocky and Rocky (2)
U.N. Squadron
Actraiser
Demon’s Crest
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Harvest Moon

And that’s just off the top of my head. I think we can count out most RPGs, unfortunately, as much as I’d love to see an FF in there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ratjaculation posted:

Any cool games similar to Divinity Original Sin 2 on the Switch (other than DOS2)?

More into the 'tactical combat' rather than Diablo style

If you want tactical combat, XCOM?

repiv posted:

The Pro Controller d-pad is still bad, get an sn30pro+ instead if that's a priority

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

It almost has feature parity with the Pro Controller, but so you know it's missing HD rumble, Amiibo support and the ability to wake the Switch from sleep.

I bought one of these recently and use it on the PC as well. It's real good (and the lack of those 3 features only matters on a Switch).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DorianGravy posted:

People want stuff like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy and, yeah, those would be great, but they aren't first-party Nintendo games, so Nintendo can't unilaterally decide to re-release them. As for why Square-Enix doesn't release them, either through the SNES app or separately, I have no idea.

because 1) they were on the snes classic and 2) the only thing you would get is the lovely remasters with the rpgmaker tilesets that don't loop and the butt ugly super deformed hd spritework anyway

repiv posted:

The Pro Controller d-pad is still bad, get an sn30pro+ instead if that's a priority

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

It almost has feature parity with the Pro Controller, but so you know it's missing HD rumble, Amiibo support and the ability to wake the Switch from sleep.

i use the sf30 because i like the sfc colors, and because i like the ergonomics of the original controller without the handles attached. i want a super nintendo pad not this fuckin play station poo poo!!!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 29, 2020

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chrono trigger wasn't on the snes classic, was a weird omission. it was like Squeenix said "ok you get SMRPG and FF6 but you can't have all 3"

I guess they didn't want it to cut into the sales on mobile or steam where the game retails for like 15 dollars and all the ports save for the DS one are terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Secret of Mana was a better choice because it's a different style RPG and multiplayer

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DorianGravy posted:

I think the SNES lineup is really nice. In the past year, I've beaten Super Mario World (for the first time!) and LttP, and I'm currently finishing up Super Metroid. Those are three of the best games ever made, and they were released right off the bat.

Nintendo should absolutely release Earthbound and they could probably get Super Mario RPG on there without *too* much hassle. Of course they're probably saving those for holidays like how they gave people Breath of Fire II, Crystalis and Star Fox 2 last December.

quote:

Chrono trigger wasn't on the snes classic, was a weird omission. it was like Squeenix said "ok you get SMRPG and FF6 but you can't have all 3"

What the dude above said, there's already 3 Square RPGs on the SNES Classic. Sure Chrono Trigger would've been great but then you'd have someone (me) bitching that FF4 wasn't on it.

Kind of funny that ZERO of the four great RPGs on the SNES Classic are purchaseable or playable on the switch at all!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 29, 2020

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

because 1) they were on the snes classic and 2) the only thing you would get is the lovely remasters with the rpgmaker tilesets that don't loop and the butt ugly super deformed hd spritework anyway

The square Mana and Saga collections are the original games. Maybe a final fantasy collection is next.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tempura Wizard posted:

Demon’s Crest

Isn't that already on the SNES collection?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

xedo posted:

The square Mana and Saga collections are the original games. Maybe a final fantasy collection is next.

ngl i'm still bummed we don't get the SaGa ds ports, those were really cool

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

xedo posted:

A Final Fantasy collection was just announced. Although it's not the Final Fantasy games a lot of people want.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

OhFunny posted:

A Final Fantasy collection was just announced. Although it's not the Final Fantasy games a lot of people want.

That is the SaGa collection.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nintendo will release game boy games this September. Not even game boy color. Enjoy playing alleyway

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Social Animal posted:

Nintendo will release game boy games this September. Not even game boy color. Enjoy playing alleyway

gimme that elevator action

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You joke but I would actually prefer GB games over N64 games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

Same. I would like both though at the same time. Waiting a year for a new platform is dumb.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

American McGay posted:

Yeah the vast majority of N64 games have either had vastly superior followups (F-zero, Mario Kart, Kirby, Paper Mario) or had flat-out handheld remasters that you can already play (The Zeldas, Star Fox 64, Mario 64). And on top of that, some of the best N64 games are gated behind Rareware anyway. Which is why we have never and will never get an N64 classic; a GB classic or virtual collection would be much better.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'd still like an N64flix if only so I can play the good version of Majora's Mask

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfClgUrVTI
I guess it’s a remake after all? I don’t really care for the 2.5D style but I’ll grab it if the framerate is good on Switch since I have every other Wonder Boy/Monster World game on there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
People want an n64 classic because it would mean perfect n64 emulation has been achieved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfClgUrVTI
I guess it’s a remake after all? I don’t really care for the 2.5D style but I’ll grab it if the framerate is good on Switch since I have every other Wonder Boy/Monster World game on there.

That's a bit of a shame, The original game had tons of personality in its sprite work, these 3D renders don't really strike me as better. I would have preferred a whole new game, or at least a remake that does the hand-drawn thing. Still, its a good game at its core, so I'm glad it might reach a new audience.