Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Keldulas posted:

To be fair the manager has been written to not give a poo poo in that regard.

There's a world of difference between becoming inured to the fact that people will die because they refuse to run away or be ordered to run away, and actually pulling the trigger yourself. I do have to wonder how on earth the company is trundling along with this level of, uh, "turnover" in their employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
How long do Shields last? IIRC it was mentioned somewhere that have a time limit but now I'm not sure if it's bugged or not.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
They last for 15 seconds, which is good information that I should have added to the original post, I'll go edit that in. :v:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Dirk the Average posted:

I do have to wonder how on earth the company is trundling along with this level of, uh, "turnover" in their employees.

Who says Lobcorp isn't churning out mass produced clones with which to staff the inevitable openings that dead clerks cause?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

There's a world of difference between becoming inured to the fact that people will die because they refuse to run away or be ordered to run away, and actually pulling the trigger yourself. I do have to wonder how on earth the company is trundling along with this level of, uh, "turnover" in their employees.

All the peripheral dialogue around it implies that getting to work for a Wing is a major ambition. It probably pays amazingly.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tenebrais posted:

All the peripheral dialogue around it implies that getting to work for a Wing is a major ambition. It probably pays amazingly.

I think its been implied that the world outside is a horrible place to live as well.

So your options are 'die a horrible death' and 'die a horrible death, but you don't have to worry about food and sleep until then'

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TeeQueue posted:

Naturally, I will be putting them off until much later than they'd be available if I beelined for them.

As long as you don't have a certain abnormality then you can get by without them even deep into the midgame.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

BisbyWorl posted:

I think its been implied that the world outside is a horrible place to live as well.

So your options are 'die a horrible death' and 'die a horrible death, but you don't have to worry about food and sleep until then'

This is a post full climate disaster world, so mega hurricanes, massive wildfires, locust plagues, and acidic seas mean that people are p desperate for a job that lets them live in the heart of one of the safe zones

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

eternaldough posted:

How will you justify within your narrative X just actively shooting clerks dead for convenience's sake, though...?

Angela: “Good news, the fully automated execution turrets are now completely functional.”
X: “The what now? Turn them off!”
Angela: “If they could be turned off, they wouldn’t be fully automated, would they?”

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

StillFullyTerrible posted:

This is a post full climate disaster world, so mega hurricanes, massive wildfires, locust plagues, and acidic seas mean that people are p desperate for a job that lets them live in the heart of one of the safe zones

Oh, it's set in 2021 then.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I particuarly like that no one so much as mentions using the Murder death bullets to help fight the abnormalities, we wouldn't want to risk seriously harming them!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Koboje posted:

I particuarly like that no one so much as mentions using the Murder death bullets to help fight the abnormalities, we wouldn't want to risk seriously harming them!

Conventional weaponry not working against Abnormalities is well established. Humans lack such bullet immunity, however.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Theantero posted:

Conventional weaponry not working against Abnormalities is well established. Humans lack such bullet immunity, however.

Why can't we just tape an Ego weapon to the turret?

An interesting question: since our AI have personality, can they use Ego equipment? I say, give Malkuth a gun, release the Forsaken Murderer and let her have fun.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MiiNiPaa posted:

I say, give Malkuth a gun

...We are in thread about using eldritch abomination to generate energy for CAPITALISM! and this is still the worst idea anyone ever had. :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Probably can't tie an E.G.O. weapon to a turret exactly because they lack an ego of their own, yeah. As per why the Sephirot don't engage directly against the Abnormalities, who knows.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
These are AI in a video game, giving them any way to hurt you will come back to bite you very quickly.

I’m actually still wondering which one snaps and tries to kill everyone first. Probably Hod; Angela is too level headed and professional even if we know she does want us dead, Malkuth is too busy trying to help everyone even if her viewpoint on the value of an agent is...low, Yesod actually still cares about his job even if he keeps having horrible hallucinations, Nezatch is too depressed to do anything ever, and the Tiphereth are too much like children (and male Tiphereth is by far the most stable of anyone we’ve seen so far to boot). Hod apparently is just putting on an act and it’s tearing her apart from the inside.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

the Orb of Zot posted:

I’m actually still wondering which one snaps and tries to kill everyone first. Probably Hod; Angela is too level headed and professional even if we know she does want us dead, Malkuth is too busy trying to help everyone even if her viewpoint on the value of an agent is...low, Yesod actually still cares about his job even if he keeps having horrible hallucinations, Nezatch is too depressed to do anything ever, and the Tiphereth are too much like children (and male Tiphereth is by far the most stable of anyone we’ve seen so far to boot). Hod apparently is just putting on an act and it’s tearing her apart from the inside.

People thinking that about Hod is part of the reason why she's been upset (and going to drugs!)...

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

eternaldough posted:

People thinking that about Hod is part of the reason why she's been upset (and going to drugs!)...

Not just any drugs but eldritch-abomination-drugs. Because the energy source Lobotomy Corp extracts from the abominations is also conveniently a highly addictive liquid drug.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Positive Enkephalin is literally pure feelgoods extracted from manifestations of humanity's various mental hiccups. Enkephalin is like if somebody made a drug out of the very concept of drug, that's how drug it is. It's the most drug that ever drugged.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Enkephalin is literally the concept of "wanna get high?" distilled into a substance.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Theantero posted:

As per why the Sephirot don't engage directly against the Abnormalities, who knows.

Since it's a management game with the word 'corporation' in the title and the setting is a horrific post-satire dystopia, it's probably ~50:50 "roles rigidly defined to enforce class hierarchy, no matter how counterproductive" and "employees are interchangeable parts and must be considered the most expendable resource" and maybe a dash of vague mysticism for good measure.

Kitfox88 posted:

gently caress 109.

Inadvisable.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The mysticism is anything but vague. They are very specific with their references. (Trumpets of Apocalypse = oh poo poo sirens, for example)

Dirk the Average posted:

It's kind of amazing just how desensitized you get to Clerks dying when those factors are in play when playing yourself. In my experience, it's remarkably easy to go around execution bullet-ing them. They're going to die anyways.....

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 29, 2020

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game actually does kabbalah themes (almost) right, the mysticism is legitimately well done (for the most part)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

silentsnack posted:

Inadvisable.

:rimshot:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Keldulas posted:

The mysticism is anything but vague. They are very specific with their references. (Trumpets of Apocalypse = oh poo poo sirens, for example)
Yeah you're right that [thing is a reference] is clear, but that doesn't contradict what I wrote because we're referring to two entirely different things. :v:

I mean the references are vague in the "why" department; such as the significance of mapping a structured set of abstract concepts onto game mechanics tied to each department as well as a corresponding group of narrative characters who are clearly something other than literary-placeholder-anthropomorphic-personifications of said concepts.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
this lp has actually made me feel a little bad about my habit of mag dumping execution bullets on clerks right before every meltdown if i have any clerk's rights activists in the facility

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I try not to butcher all of them but when there is a particular member of the squad I do make sure to clear out the department it is in.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Jen X posted:

This game actually does kabbalah themes (almost) right, the mysticism is legitimately well done (for the most part)
Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate on what it gets wrong?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Black Robe posted:

Oh, it's set in 2021 then.

but worse, yes

the post-apocalyptic aspect of LobCorp is easily the most grounded and realistic part of the setting

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

PetraCore posted:

Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate on what it gets wrong?

Not without spoiling a lot of the game!

Ask me again at the end, and I'll happily answer.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 24: Story

Music: Wake up

It seems that an employee who wanted to become intimate with you put it there. If I were to give my personal input, I don’t like cacti much. There could be various reasons for one to grow a plant. However, its vicious thorns are not something worth enduring like those of a rose, as it is not pleasing to the sight. Nor does it produce valuable sap like a maple tree. I’ve also never seen one grow a flower bud.

That possibility is something I’ve never witnessed, as it may be that all cacti I have known spread their roots into barren soil.

>Yes, it might.

Well, if you’re so certain about it, then keep it. This place doesn’t even have sunlight, but who am I to stop you?

---

>No, it probably won't.

Do you think it rude to get rid of something you’ve received as a gift? Be careful, it could prick you when you reach for other things strewn about your disordered desk.

---

Routes Merge Here

In Summary: We have a cactus on our desk that an employee gave us. There is no deeper meaning here, no purpose, no mysterious foreshadowing, and there is nothing more that needs to be considered. We simply own a cactus. Cactus.

Music: Forgotten Entrance Of Memories

If you’re looking for Tiphereth, she’s still at the Middle Layer meeting.

I’m bad at holding conversations. I kinda miss the managers who were more talkative at times like this.

Have you noticed that someone’s memory and emotion bleeds and seeps out of us? As you’ve seen, we act angry, feel happy, want things, and look sad, even though we’re machines. We even have our own weaknesses. Why is that? What’s inside of us?

I tried to find the answer… But I really couldn’t get it. I’m sure you have that answer.

Music: mirror dimensions

Maybe there’s a reason why there has to be imperfection? We’re machines, yet, not machines…

Music: Frozen Moon

Tiphereth, it’s troublesome to have a conversation that’s this fun.

But it can be rebuilt anytime we need, right?

Well, it’s still an asset to the corporation, so I would prefer not to have it go to waste. Tiphereth, perhaps we should explain it to the manager first.

Huh, why?

I’ve told you, Tiphereth, the human mind is a fragile thing. It’s not capable enough to perceive the existence of beings like us in our wholeness.

Humans are susceptible to the unknown. The scene doesn’t always have to be graphic to break the mind.

Ugh… there’s so much to be mindful of… Why can’t they just replace managers with machines? We could simply replace them whenever they try to do something stupid, like how we replace Tiphereth.

Tiphereth, there are things only humans are able to take care of. The founder of Lobotomy Corporation must have had a reason for assigning a human manager.

I know that place.

Tiphereth, what are you talking about? It’s where we always go during work.

I don’t mean that. I remember what happened there last time.

You do? That’s great. Thank you for helping me, like you always do.

In summary: Tiphereth seems to think we know something, and suddenly starts breaking down when he mentions they're machines yet not. Tiphereth shows up, realizes he's broken, and calls Angela so that they can replace him. :ohdear: They'll be doing this somewhere where the filter we've been using is weaker, apparently.

It's a shame about Tiphereth. I'm sure he would have loved to hold winning over your head, for once.

...Get bent, Manager.

Ah. Yeah, I'll get back to work.

Let me make sure I follow: Tiphereth said that somewhere in your memory is the reason why the Sephirot are so weird?

Pretty much. So they know something I don't, and I apparently know-

Something about this company. And you're sure you don't remember anything?

Yeah. I've been feeling those gut instincts getting stronger lately… but that's it.

The ones that let you know what to pick?

Yeah. Sometimes I get ideas of how to deal with things now, too. Not that it helps much, given that…

Mizu exists, yeah. She's gonna get her face chewed off by an Abnormality someday.

Anyways, if you find anything out, let me know.

Will do. Hey, so-

Bishop? Who're you calling?

Later. *click*

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: I accidentally prove that I'm the most badass moron in the facility.

Oh, hi Malkuth. It wasn't anyone important. Just family.

How nice! I'm glad you have so much time to spend on frivolous matters.

Well, that's because you've been taking care of everything.

Of course! My job is the one thing I can take care of perfectly.

Oh, I'm sure that's not true. :rolleyes:

But it is. I had to work incredibly hard to get to where I am right now, you know? I remember long before now, how I'd fumble and fail at everything… Trying my very best, every day...

Hey, boss… are you okay?

Why wouldn't I be, Bishop? I'm clearly fine, can't you see?

You just seem like you've been pushing yourself a little too hard lately.

That's not a problem! The new Manager doesn't have any idea what he's doing, so I have to work hard to make up for his slack. And my agents are all able to meet standards, but when the other departments call them away for this or that I have to take care of things there, too. But it's fine, because I'm a very competent Sephirah. That's what I was made to do. That's why… I'm not an 'even Malkuth'… I'm the best Sephirah in the building at my job… and the Control Team isn't like those other departments...

Hell. If this keeps up, I might not even have two weeks… I'll have to stay on my toes.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 3, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tiphereth is going off for some repairs after feeling bad? I see nothing wrong here :downs:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"Emotions are prohibited 2B Tiphereth"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What's that, Tiphereth? You think you might not be entirely a robot? That's silly, Tiphereth, nothing like that could be possible. Anyway, unrelated, I left something in the trash compactor, could you get it for me? It's right at the back, you'll have to go all the way in.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Here we goooo :unsmigghh:

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

TeeQueue posted:

Yeah. Sometimes I get ideas of how to deal with things now, too. Not that it helps much, given that…

Mizu exists, yeah. She's gonna get her face chewed off by an abnormality someday.

Luckily she has a spare!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The anime-ness of it, I assumed both Tiphereth were female. The weird poofy Victorian dress, couple with the hair? starburst and headband

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
:stare:
1. I am suddenly very convinced that Malkuth is going to be the first one to snap and try to kill us. Apologies to Hod for unnecessary stress on her job.
2. Tiphereth B apparently is defective and needs replacement, and this happens so often that Angela flatout remarked that the replacements last for less and less time before they need replacement themselves. This is probably going to end very poorly, isn’t it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Malkuth needs a hug.

Also come on X, clean your drat desk.