Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Eej posted:

Apologies for the Canadian links but I'm just grabbing links from my Amazon invoice

Badger 105: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002W84GTO/ref=pe_41291580_475835250_TE_dp_1

Compressor with 1/8" hose: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HXN2V5B/ref=pe_41291580_475835250_TE_dp_1

Badger to Iwata (1/8") adapter: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004RM2DIO/ref=pe_41291580_475835250_TE_dp_1

That's all you need (I'm grabbing a quick release adapter cause convenience and I'm pretty sure putting down by airbrush with hose attached still feels like asking for trouble)

The compressor doesn't seem to be on Amazon US, but that adapter looks good; the reviews mention it connects to the Badger 105 brush, and one mentions it working with a Harbor Freight compressor, which is the one I thought about buying. Thanks.

EDIT: I thought about a quick-release adapter, but I think I might wait until I've tried using the airbrush for a while.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Quick release valve with air adjustment and a Badger QD male end are my recommendation. Sets you up cheap to swap if you get a second non-Badger airbrush and gives you some quick air control right at the airbrush.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Skorpekh Lord done! This fellow was a lot of fun, really makes me eager for more necrons.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, I've got to say I really enjoy blocking in my highlights and shading first -- something about that process is really chill and fun, probably because I struggle to identify where my highlights should be when applying them after a base colour. Being able to apply thin coats of colour afterwards while maintaining the highlights and shading already locked in is pretty cool. Not to mention how easy it is to blend colours on the model.

My only problem is I'm still trying to figure out the right ratio of paint to glaze medium -- I've had some attempts that have the paint act more like a wash and make it difficult to control.

One of the little things that most people who make videos about glazing pass over or forget to mention is that you typically want to wick away a majority of the moisture in your brush when glazing. You don't want the brush bone-dry, but you definitely don't want it going all over the place because the relatively high surface tension means it's going to behave like a bad wash, with lots of pooling and splotching.

After you've loaded up your glaze, just lightly tap the tip of your brush to a piece of paper towel and you should be just about perfect. For the really smooth glaze blending, you're basically using coats so thin that there is virtually no visible difference until you've built up several layers - some of the crazy Golden Demon guys do dozens and dozens of glaze layers, but if you just want some easy color modulation with decent enough feathering to look better than the typical layering / wash style, you can use 2-3 passes of a more pigment-heavy glaze.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dreylad posted:

Oh yeah, already done and practicing, it's an important part of underpainting. I just get lost if I add my base layers and lose that highlight and shading, even when I take pictures of some of the models.

One thing I'm excited about with these new models is they're just bigger than the old fantasy models, both in terms of the actual model size and the base. A lot more to paint, but a lot more forgiving on details.

This is me!

Although instead of going the glaze route I'm experimenting more with inks, but I guess at its core it's the same principle.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Painted a pair of plague marines to get my workflow on them down, actually enjoyed painting them which is more than i can say for admech

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

One of the little things that most people who make videos about glazing pass over or forget to mention is that you typically want to wick away a majority of the moisture in your brush when glazing. You don't want the brush bone-dry, but you definitely don't want it going all over the place because the relatively high surface tension means it's going to behave like a bad wash, with lots of pooling and splotching.

After you've loaded up your glaze, just lightly tap the tip of your brush to a piece of paper towel and you should be just about perfect. For the really smooth glaze blending, you're basically using coats so thin that there is virtually no visible difference until you've built up several layers - some of the crazy Golden Demon guys do dozens and dozens of glaze layers, but if you just want some easy color modulation with decent enough feathering to look better than the typical layering / wash style, you can use 2-3 passes of a more pigment-heavy glaze.

That's perfect advice, thanks a lot. I've been following Dana Howl on this (as have a few other people from the looks of it), and she does mention that particular tip, but your description gives me a better idea of what I'm aiming for. Just going to keep putting in some hours and develop a feel for it. I already love the results, even if it is more time consuming than layering/washing. I'm also getting a better feel for which paints need more thinning because of the difference in coverage (blues vs yellows being a pretty obvious example).

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

After a hiatus of nearly 20 years I have recently picked up the brushes and started painting miniatures again. I would like to share the minies I've painted the last few weeks

This is Minsc and Boo wich were included in the D&D starter paint set. It was the first mini i painted after my break and the first time ever doing fancy stuff like washes and highlights. I forgot to remove the mould lines and the wash I used on his skin did not work that well with his skin tone, but other than that I think it turned out ok.

A pair of WizKids mules. Those ropes on the luggage were really annoying to paint. I painted them so I could use them in my D&D campaign, but of course those psycos left their mule to die in the wilderness in the first session it was used :sigh:

I gues this is a Ral Partha from the late 90s. This was quick and fun to paint.

This is a Ral Partha from 1990 that I think is supposed to be bone naga. I'm not super happy about how it turned out and I probably should have used a lighter brown wash for the bones as the black one I used made it hard to highlight the bones without them standing out in a bad way.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yellow is a pain in the rear end to paint, but I'm slowly learning.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufP8ka3KGno
Duncan posted a video with six tips for starting painters. Featuring an in depth look of his first ever model.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

blue collar orc posted:

After a hiatus of nearly 20 years I have recently picked up the brushes and started painting miniatures again. I would like to share the minies I've painted the last few weeks

This is Minsc and Boo wich were included in the D&D starter paint set. It was the first mini i painted after my break and the first time ever doing fancy stuff like washes and highlights. I forgot to remove the mould lines and the wash I used on his skin did not work that well with his skin tone, but other than that I think it turned out ok.

A pair of WizKids mules. Those ropes on the luggage were really annoying to paint. I painted them so I could use them in my D&D campaign, but of course those psycos left their mule to die in the wilderness in the first session it was used :sigh:

I gues this is a Ral Partha from the late 90s. This was quick and fun to paint.

This is a Ral Partha from 1990 that I think is supposed to be bone naga. I'm not super happy about how it turned out and I probably should have used a lighter brown wash for the bones as the black one I used made it hard to highlight the bones without them standing out in a bad way.

These look great!

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Duncan posted a video with six tips for starting painters. Featuring an in depth look of his first ever model.

I've been painting off and on for 20 ish years and still watch every "Tips for Starting Painters" videos.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

My daughter painted her first Space Marine. She didn't get too disappointed in her mistakes, which was great, but I was about to go look for Duncan's first model to show her how even the best painters started off making mistakes. She did have some tricks Duncan didn't back then like contrast paints and metallic base paints, neither of which need much thinning. She's still going to add more details to it this weekend.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I want to see his rhino

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cooked Auto posted:

I relate a lot to this, because I was in the same situation and about the same age. No one told me anything, I just tried to figure it out my own. My high elf spears basically look like that Space Marine.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hot painting tip from me, age 14: Having trouble getting good coverage in a single coat? No problem, just put more paint on your brush and paint using literally a glob of paint drooping off the bristles. :pseudo:

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

That battle damage and rust looks amazing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Der Shovel posted:

Hell yeah sponge weathering!

It's such a good value of effort vs reward.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

blue collar orc posted:

That battle damage and rust looks amazing

As Spanish Manlove says, sponge weathering! Tore up a kitchen sponge into small irregular bits, dip it Dryad Bark and pat away. If I got a bigger spot, I painted some metal on the edge later.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Does anybody have any advice on developing a color scheme for pale blue or pale grey flesh? I'm trying to paint a pair ghouls and I want their skin to be a light, pallid kind of grey-blue or just cold grey. I'm still trying to get a hang of making my own color schemes so any help on this front would be appreciated.

Also does anyone have any good resources on how to use Winsor + Newton Glaze Medium? Its very thick, should I add like water or flow improver to it?

So just to update: I'm trying, for my first attempt, with Vallejo Cold Grey and Dark Grey Blue as a wash, and highlighting pretty much with just mixing in Vallejo Pale Flesh up to the top. Will this, theoretically yield a decent grey flesh tone? Or should I highlight up with lighter greys and not use the flesh tone. Could still use some advice.

Also how do I use WN Glaze medium, should I add water or flow improver/thinner to the mix to actually thin it to a glaze consistency. Does anybody have any experience with this stuff/have a recipe as a guide?

Here's my latest model from the Reaper Layer Up kit:

I have no idea how to highlight metallic paint.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 28, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Phi230 posted:

So just to update: I'm trying, for my first attempt, with Vallejo Cold Grey and Dark Grey Blue as a wash, and highlighting pretty much with just mixing in Vallejo Pale Flesh up to the top. Will this, theoretically yield a decent grey flesh tone? Or should I highlight up with lighter greys and not use the flesh tone. Could still use some advice.

Also how do I use WN Glaze medium, should I add water or flow improver/thinner to the mix to actually thin it to a glaze consistency. Does anybody have any experience with this stuff/have a recipe as a guide?

Here's my latest model from the Reaper Layer Up kit:

I have no idea how to highlight metallic paint.

For metallic paint you can typically wash it, and them bring it back up to brightness with the same metallic you started with, or something even brighter. Some people go with silver on gold for a highlight, but I think this looks very odd personally, and it makes non-silvers look less like non-silver.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

For metallic paint you can typically wash it, and them bring it back up to brightness with the same metallic you started with, or something even brighter. Some people go with silver on gold for a highlight, but I think this looks very odd personally, and it makes non-silvers look less like non-silver.

Yeah I don't like how people highlight gold with silver, it looks weird to me.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Kroxigor!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Those are gorgeous

Anyone know how big the Scale75 busts are? I'm having so much fun with my airbrush I just only want to use that all the time now. Also what do you guys think of the Adolforc bust they have? I think it's funny and making fun of that shitlord but I feel like it's ~too controversial~ in today's climate :ohdear:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Test space wolf second try. Even lazier paint job than last time but this is all to see if colors work together. Got some vallejo luftwaffe grey for the armor and it's fitting pretty well in my opinion. I washed the blue/green with some gulliman blue glaze (rip) then drybrushed with p3 frostbite white.

So what do you guys think of the colors? Tomorrow I think i'm gonna try this scheme out on a primaris marine from the indomitus box. Lets see if I remember how to apply transfers.

edit: I originally planned on using a dark blue for space wolves but instead decided to use that on the tau. Here's what that would have looked like (I used some extra bits to decorate the base of a ghostkeel)

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 29, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Did Citadel revamp their Kroxigors finally or is that some other manufacturer? Last I checked they were still the goofy old sculpts but those look awesome.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Skeleton boss!

... Twins?

Oh.

Skeleton minibosses!

Plus an Umber Hulk I'm extremely happy with (and an old mini for scale)!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Did Citadel revamp their Kroxigors finally or is that some other manufacturer? Last I checked they were still the goofy old sculpts but those look awesome.

Those are Lost Kingdom. They sell them cast in resin or they started a Patreon earlier this year where they've gradually been releasing the STLs for 3D printing of the lizards, some dwarves, and this month had some Tomb King-ish cavalry.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

darnon posted:

Those are Lost Kingdom. They sell them cast in resin or they started a Patreon earlier this year where they've gradually been releasing the STLs for 3D printing of the lizards, some dwarves, and this month had some Tomb King-ish cavalry.

GW's release mentality of "never touch a faction for decades unless we go for a complete revamp of the line, then ignore it again forever" has to be losing them some money.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Dammit. I organised baby sitting. Wife is watching work video's. Great warm sunny weather. Best day in months to put together my OATHMARK army and undercoat it tomorrow.

...and the partially used Games Workshop plastic glue dried up/blocked/stopped up completely after doing the first 10 out of 40 Northstar Elf Archers. With everything in LOCKDOWN here in Melbourne I can't just go walk into Mordor to get more model glue. I've tried superglue but that's not working to get the tiny heads on. It did work wonderfully on getting on my fingers :(. I got their arms on but the heads would just stick to me instead of the model's neck. I feel like I should cry at this point.

Instead I've ordered more plastic figure glue which won't arrive for a week and I'm going to mow the lawn instead. :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Comstar posted:

Dammit. I organised baby sitting. Wife is watching work video's. Great warm sunny weather. Best day in months to put together my OATHMARK army and undercoat it tomorrow.

...and the partially used Games Workshop plastic glue dried up/blocked/stopped up completely after doing the first 10 out of 40 Northstar Elf Archers. With everything in LOCKDOWN here in Melbourne I can't just go walk into Mordor to get more model glue. I've tried superglue but that's not working to get the tiny heads on. It did work wonderfully on getting on my fingers :(. I got their arms on but the heads would just stick to me instead of the model's neck. I feel like I should cry at this point.

Instead I've ordered more plastic figure glue which won't arrive for a week and I'm going to mow the lawn instead. :(
if you have a gas burner, pull the metal applicator out of the bottle and hold it over the flame with tweezers to burn the dried cement out of it. try not to breathe too much maybe

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

jesus WEP posted:

if you have a gas burner, pull the metal applicator out of the bottle and hold it over the flame with tweezers to burn the dried cement out of it. try not to breathe too much maybe

Lighters work too.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the MCP thread:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Some totally loyalist Tempestus Scions

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

richyp posted:

Some totally loyalist Tempestus Scions

drat that OSL is masterful. I'm getting a really strong Helgan from Killzone vibe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m (struggling with) building some Nighthaunt Spirit Hosts and HOLY gently caress are these some of the fiddliest, shittiest designed models I’ve ever had the displeasure of trying to assemble. I’m building a few just because I thought the models look rad as heck when they’re done, but gently caress me are they a nightmare to build. I can’t even imagine building a shitload of them for an actual army. Whoever designed the instructions can get hosed, they’re totally useless.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

KingMob posted:

Cross-posting from the MCP thread:

I love how clean the paintjobs are. Great job!

Started paint again after a hiatus, I'm quit happy how these ended up.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Tidied up the first 2 and finished 3 more (minus a bp)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Indomitus Space Marine Attempt #1

Transfers are a huge pain in the rear end, and IDK how I feel about how the colors are layered on the shoulders. Maybe do the frost effect then put the transfer on? Free handing runes isn't that bad, next time I won't have coffee in the morning as my hands were kinda shaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Furism posted:

Lighters work too.

I'm pretty sure every time I ever sit down to build some minis always starts with me lighting the tip with a clipper until it roars a tiny flame

Surely every corner shop stocks super glue as well?