Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

LOTR is way better but I think the first three Dragonlance books would have made better movies. LOTR is unfilmable without major compromises to the setting and story.

The first book actually did. Full length animated movie came out in 2008. It's every bit as mediocre as the OP complains the series is.

e:f,b

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I had to stop reading the Foundation series because I couldn't get the mental image of a whole civilization of psychologists communicating via a means that resembled a seizure.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

the earthsea adaptations are criminal

The Sci-Fi channel adaptation put me off the series. Still haven't read it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

super sweet best pal posted:

The Sci-Fi channel adaptation put me off the series. Still haven't read it.

the series is good, you should give at least the first book a chance. it shares only the names of the characters with the scifi thing, nothing else

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Galewolf posted:

Also, Samovar: Very cool Corto Maltese avatar.

Why, thank you. Someone in the daily comics thread was nice enough to give it to me.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember Acorna but never read beyond the first one. And wasn't there a whole series about the ships being alive and being in love with their commanders or something?

I think so, and maybe the ship minds had actually been humans at one point who had their consciousness transplanted into ships? I feel like whatever the actual story was has to be at least twice as bonkers as what I'm remembering.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ChubbyChecker posted:

the earthsea adaptations are criminal

Yea, Dom Noble really hit that in his vids
https://youtu.be/DCyyzpsg6V0
https://youtu.be/_mfnVK9RdZk

I tried reading the first Wheel of Time book, but it was like if the party scene in Fellowship Of The Ring lasted the entire book. Also it has what is probably the WORST MAP of a fanstasy world in a book

wtf is that garbage? DId Jordan realize he needed a map for the book and drew it while on his way to the publisher? It's not even just uninteresting but no landmas would look like that and boarders are worst than what the Entant did to the middle east after WW1.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

twistedmentat posted:

I tried reading the first Wheel of Time book, but it was like if the party scene in Fellowship Of The Ring lasted the entire book. Also it has what is probably the WORST MAP of a fanstasy world in a book

wtf is that garbage? DId Jordan realize he needed a map for the book and drew it while on his way to the publisher? It's not even just uninteresting but no landmas would look like that and boarders are worst than what the Entant did to the middle east after WW1.

your choice of not reading it further was a good one

lol yeah that map is about as good as the gor map:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ChubbyChecker posted:

That literally looks like a map from a Nintendo Power for some Zelda clone.

Something like Midkemia is much better

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I read a lot of Xanth when I was young and I didn't really clue in to just how creepy the books could be.

But then young me was like, well maybe I'll read other stuff by the same author.

And that's when I read Isle of Woman and gently caress was that a mistake

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

twistedmentat posted:

That literally looks like a map from a Nintendo Power for some Zelda clone.

Something like Midkemia is much better

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

*squints*

Oh yes I see Absalom riiiiight there

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ah, but you see in Midkemia, the Asians are below the Arabs. The east is more like early modern Germany or Italy, a bunch of small states. But the point still stands.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

twistedmentat posted:

:hmmyes: but I counter with

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

DrPossum posted:

I'm the coffee stain on the south-east.

-Hey John, your got coffee spilled on the 4th Edition FR map!
-Oh, poo poo I don't have a kitchen towel nearby. gently caress it, let's leave it like that and and call it...THE RIFT!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrPossum posted:

Yea Farun is a solid map. I had the 2nd edition box set that had a HUGE map that had basically every single location ever mentioned in FR materials at the time.

BTW here is Xanth

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 29, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have the annotated hardcover version of the Dragonlance novels. I never read them as a kid tho. I made it through the first book a few years back and it was basically a young adult book and I never went back to it because it really felt like it was written for 5th graders. Someone mentioned it was based around their own D&D campaign and you gotta make that poo poo for kids otherwise your party will go off track and do poo poo that just makes the DM want to murder everyone, so it makes sense.

I've read about 13 or so of the Drizzt books and found them all pretty great. It's not on the level of stuff like Dune, but it's leagues above Dragonlance. They're about the level of decent 40k books. You burn through them because the stupid is low, and the action is high.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 29, 2020

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I had to stop reading the Foundation series because I couldn't get the mental image of a whole civilization of psychologists communicating via a means that resembled a seizure.

I read the Foundation trilogy as a kid because as a sci-fi nerd it was basically an obligation back then. I thought it was boring as fuuuuuuuuck, and it took me years to actually admit that.

Come at me.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I read the Foundation trilogy as a kid because as a sci-fi nerd it was basically an obligation back then. I thought it was boring as fuuuuuuuuck, and it took me years to actually admit that.

Come at me.

your opinion is the correct one

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Agreed, asimov's work in general hasn't really aged well.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Oh hey, I remember reading and enjoying Poul Anderson’s The High Crusade way back when, but given the subject matter I dread to think what it might be like if I read it today.

Give me your hot takes, thread.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I that the one where Christians converted aliens or some poo poo? I vaugly remember something like that when I was randomly reading books in bookshops.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
This thread brought back memories of a very peculiar scifi/fantasy novel I read when I was in my early teens. I used to get armfuls of scifi books from my local library, of all kinds of quality, some good, some not so good, and this one was... surprising, to say the least.

The premise was that it was post-apocalyptic times and humanity had divided into two different societies according to sex. The males lived in a technological enclave of some sort and only interacted with women in order to use them for breeding. The women... well this is where it got weird.

The women didn't need the men to procreate in their own society because they had been genetically altered so they could somehow clone themselves. However in order to initiate the cloning process they had to use... horse semen. And, well, not to go into detail but let's just say they didn't use artificial insemination methods.

Suffice to say this was somewhat surprising in literature that had just come from a local library and presented as just another scifi/fantasy novel, the last thing I expected was, well, that. Thinking about it many years later it seemed so unlikely that I even wondered if somehow I'd imagined it and it never really happened.

Upon reading this thread I thought I'd try searching to see if I could find any record of such a book. As you can imagine I had to choose my search terms pretty drat carefully so as not to end up on some kind of a watchlist, but eventually I found it. The book was real.

"Motherlines", by Suzy McKee Charnas. From the first GoodReads review:

"These Riding Women take her into their community and nurse her so that her child is born healthy. They are the descendants of women who were genetically engineered to have a double set of DNA in their ova, for reasons that don't entirely make sense, but possibly were intended to create a set of well understood experimental subjects with little genetic drift. The scientists who worked on their development ensured that they can conceive - parthenogenesis, found in nature in species such as the aphid - by their ova being triggered into dividing and eventually becoming clones of themselves. Implausibly, those scientists ensured this could be done only in the presence of horse semen".

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/517322.Motherlines

Xanth and Pern are awful, surely. But this must surely rank amongst the worst for including actual horse loving in its feminist dystopia.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao creative fiction writers are freaks

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I still like the Wheel of Time. I have a particular kind of broken brain that needs the kind of completeness it offers in terms of describing every nation and organization. It scratches the same itch as Tolkien lore. Very few series can scratch that itch.

Basically I am this guy: https://www.theonion.com/grown-man-refers-to-map-at-beginning-of-novel-to-find-o-1819576422

I am holding out a slim hope the TV adaptation will work out while hopefully taking out Jordan's weird spanking fetish and obsession with ritual female nudity.

I also like what Sanderson did at the end. The characters grew out of a lot of their gender weirdness as he wrote and he made it work pretty organically.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

lmao it's a bdsm rape slavery transit map

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Xenocides posted:

I still like the Wheel of Time. I have a particular kind of broken brain that needs the kind of completeness it offers in terms of describing every nation and organization. It scratches the same itch as Tolkien lore. Very few series can scratch that itch.

Basically I am this guy: https://www.theonion.com/grown-man-refers-to-map-at-beginning-of-novel-to-find-o-1819576422

I am holding out a slim hope the TV adaptation will work out while hopefully taking out Jordan's weird spanking fetish and obsession with ritual female nudity.

I also like what Sanderson did at the end. The characters grew out of a lot of their gender weirdness as he wrote and he made it work pretty organically.
Perhaps I'll give it a shot. I bailed on the series after Crossroads at somethingorother. No sunk-cost fallacy could save my interest in how the series ended.

I guess I could read a wiki article.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Come at me.

I read the first one about a year ago and what blew my mind is that he thought of all of this in the 1940s. Today everything has copied a lot of it, so it really wasn't anything new. But back then it had to be like.. holy fuckballs crazy awesome. It was a bit boring, so I never made it to the second or third. I guess I can appreciate the ground work Asimov laid with it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

stinky ox posted:

This thread brought back memories of a very peculiar scifi/fantasy novel I read when I was in my early teens. I used to get armfuls of scifi books from my local library, of all kinds of quality, some good, some not so good, and this one was... surprising, to say the least.

The premise was that it was post-apocalyptic times and humanity had divided into two different societies according to sex. The males lived in a technological enclave of some sort and only interacted with women in order to use them for breeding. The women... well this is where it got weird.

The women didn't need the men to procreate in their own society because they had been genetically altered so they could somehow clone themselves. However in order to initiate the cloning process they had to use... horse semen. And, well, not to go into detail but let's just say they didn't use artificial insemination methods.

Suffice to say this was somewhat surprising in literature that had just come from a local library and presented as just another scifi/fantasy novel, the last thing I expected was, well, that. Thinking about it many years later it seemed so unlikely that I even wondered if somehow I'd imagined it and it never really happened.

Upon reading this thread I thought I'd try searching to see if I could find any record of such a book. As you can imagine I had to choose my search terms pretty drat carefully so as not to end up on some kind of a watchlist, but eventually I found it. The book was real.

"Motherlines", by Suzy McKee Charnas. From the first GoodReads review:

"These Riding Women take her into their community and nurse her so that her child is born healthy. They are the descendants of women who were genetically engineered to have a double set of DNA in their ova, for reasons that don't entirely make sense, but possibly were intended to create a set of well understood experimental subjects with little genetic drift. The scientists who worked on their development ensured that they can conceive - parthenogenesis, found in nature in species such as the aphid - by their ova being triggered into dividing and eventually becoming clones of themselves. Implausibly, those scientists ensured this could be done only in the presence of horse semen".

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/517322.Motherlines

Xanth and Pern are awful, surely. But this must surely rank amongst the worst for including actual horse loving in its feminist dystopia.

You know, imagine, being armed with the knowledge of fanfics we have now, going back to the 70's or 80's, and submitting that poo poo for publication. We could make bank.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bismuth posted:

They knew about the thread within months of landing and instead of leaving they told their supercomputer to find a solution, then a volcano buried the computer in ash and they just...didnt dig it out.

lol. Okay I guess my brain tried to correct it to make more sense in the intervening 20 years. Wow that's dumb.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Galewolf posted:

Not in Netherlands, he is not (apparently)

I might be wrong but he was, uh, brown? I remember something like people in Gont being "olive skinned" or "dark brown".

He was red-brown, yeah. Le Guin was pretty upset about the Sci Fi Earthsea adaptation and wrote a lot about how people kept lightening her characters' skin colors for some reason.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's been so long since I read these that I can't remember or find the books by the name. It could have just been one book with multiple stories? I'll give my best to tber the stories here

1: an elf is fleeing from a dragon, and the story is entirely from the dragons point of view. The elf infiltrated it's lair and is now fleeing. It ends with the dragon realizing it was being led into a trap and dies admitting it got tricked by a skilled dragon Slayer.

2. A bunch of dragonborn lizard guys are building a bridge. It's mostly a comedy story but it covered how each type would either explode, turn the stone and catch the weapon inside them, or ??? something else upon dying. It was mostly a comedy chapter

3. Literally a story about the first chromatic and metallic dragons and how they first emerged and fought against etc

Does anyone have any idea what this book was, I swear it was one book

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I will happily poo poo on Piers Anthony all day long - it feels cathartic to me as I resent how much of his poo poo I read as a dumb kid.

McCaffrey's Pern I thought started off okay but nose-dived really quick once the whole spaceship/time travel poo poo started up. I think I read maybe 3 or 4 before she jumped the shark with it (I was reading them as they came out).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is Terry Brooks' "Wordcount of Shannara" series. I know I read at least one of those things, but don't remember anything more than it was really long and generally boring.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Brooks' stuff is at the very least inoffensive and that gives it (sadly) a big boost among a lot of other writers.

...He did write the Star Wars: Episode One novelization, though, so that is a negative mark against him.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is Terry Brooks' "Wordcount of Shannara" series. I know I read at least one of those things, but don't remember anything more than it was really long and generally boring.

I used to live in West Seattle, where Terry Brooks lives (or lived at least), and every time I saw a really nice car or limo I’d shake my fist at it on the off chance it was him.

Then one afternoon I was in a Barnes and Noble, and by complete coincidence he was there doing a reading, and he was the nicest guy. So now I can’t be mad at him anymore.

And... scene.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

McCaffrey's Pern I thought started off okay but nose-dived really quick once the whole spaceship/time travel poo poo started up. I think I read maybe 3 or 4 before she jumped the shark with it (I was reading them as they came out).

I read the original trilogy back when that and the harper hall series was all there was. As I remember it, the series read as somewhat unconventional fantasy until the end of the third book when they found the spaceship, and that exploded my baby 12 year old brain.

Just read Weyr Search, the novella that started it all- I defy you to find any evidence that was intended to kick off a sci-fi series.

None of this is an endorsement.

SpaceJam on BluRay
Jan 9, 2017
so i have a contribution.... From my childhood

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

The loving Zybourne Clock map is better than the Gor map!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

SpaceJam on BluRay posted:

so i have a contribution.... From my childhood

that looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I read the original trilogy back when that and the harper hall series was all there was. As I remember it, the series read as somewhat unconventional fantasy until the end of the third book when they found the spaceship, and that exploded my baby 12 year old brain.

Just read Weyr Search, the novella that started it all- I defy you to find any evidence that was intended to kick off a sci-fi series.

None of this is an endorsement.

Isn't there a sci-fi series that at the end they find out they're inside an artificial environment even if its a standard fantasy world and the end of it is the wizards and knights walking through a space station?