Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Binged all of good place season 4 last night.

Wow they actually went and made a perfect show

The Good Place is fantastic, and one of the writers was clearly a hardcore pro-wrestling fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The ending of The Good Place was so drat beautiful, I couldn't believe how strongly they nailed it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Binged all of good place season 4 last night.

Wow they actually went and made a perfect show

One of my favorites of all time. The show's podcast hosted by Marc Evan Jackson is really good too if you want to hear people involved with the show talk about it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Tarp put on. The vents were busted so they patched and tarped them for now and eventually gonna replace the roof. It was storming right as they finished so I was able to go inside and saw no more water was getting in. Yesterday my wife said it was coming out by the stove like a faucet when it rained. I'll get the insurance assessor to check the foundation when he comes out.

I live in lake charles which took a direct hit. The city looks like a war zone. 97 percent of the parish school facilities have catastrophic damage. All in all I made out ok. And my family is safe which is most important

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really happy for you Shard, hope the foundation is good and the repairs don't hurt badly, and absolutely yes your family being safe is the most important thing.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the plague that never ends movie list part 9 or 10, or, a forums survey:

Saved By The Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas - this movie is really bad. Zack and Kelly get married at 19 years old. AC Slater is a sexual predator. do we have any people who married early on this forum?

Die Hard - this movie is so cool. Bruce Willis looks like a little kid in this. do you remember when terrorists were multi-ethnic? do we have any New York cops or terrorists on this forum?

M*A*S*H - this movie kinda sucks. all the men in this are gross pigs. they keep sexually harassing a woman for no good reason. i guess it's because war is hell, or something. there is no plot, and the film ends with a 30 minute football game sequence. avoid. do we have any army surgeons on the forum?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - this is a technological masterpiece. the animation in this is great, and was done by that animator who that one goon was obsessed with. old goons know who i'm talking about. as i watched i kept thinking about all the love and care that had to go into making this film, and how something like this will never be made again. now they just use a computer to plop in Jar Jar Binks. this is why western civilization is collapsing: our art is no longer made with love, but with computers. do we have any animators or toons on this forum?

Lost Highway - what the heck is this baloney. i hated this. David Lynch, what the heck. do we have anyone who can defend this film on this forum?

Showgirls - now this, this is a masterpiece. Paul Verhoeven is the real genius, not David Lynch. this movie is visually stunning, full of energy, and is fun to watch. everything looks so pretty. is that the cinematography? i don't know, i only took two film classes in college. everyone who tells you this film is bad is lying to you. do we have any strippers on this forum?

Brotherly Love – Peter O'Toole is an upper class twit who used to have sex with his sister, Susannah York. now his sister is married and they spend their days running a dilapidated dairy farm and being obnoxiously cute around his sister's husband. this is a really weird movie that i had to watch because of the random roulette thing that i do. i had to buy this weird incest movie on dvd, it is not available to stream anywhere, and i couldn't even find a place to pirate it. Mr. O'Toole gives a very good performance as a weird rich guy that never had to work and had weird parents who didn't care that their kids were loving. the brother and sister never kiss or have sex on screen, unfortunately. i'd recommend watching this film for various reasons i won't specify. do we have any upper class twits, dairy farmers, or people who've slept with their siblings on this forum?

Cobra Verde – Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski team up one last time to take on the slave trade. a lot of nice, documentary-like shots in this. i appreciated the army of topless African amazons. Ghana is a really beautiful place, and not just because of all the beautiful, bare-breasted warrior women. the dubbing in this is atrocious, but who cares. do we have anyone from Ghana, or any slave traders in this forum?

Ace in the Hole – this film from 1951 explores how the media amplifies bad news in order to generate more of a profit. i'm glad society learned a lesson from this film, and that the news media is no longer like that. do we have anyone trapped in a cave on this forum?

Jackie Brown – Pam Grier is fine. goddamn. good lord. i basically act like Robert DeNiro's character in real life. Ms. Grier, do you post here on this forum? please send me a private message if you do.

Leviathan – this is an experimental documentary about a fishing vessel off the coast of New England. it is shot like a Nine Inch Nails video. this is on criterion channel until the end of the month. if you like weird visually engaging documentaries about fish processing, you should definitely check this out. do we have any professional fishermen, or atlantic cod on this forum?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Mash is one of my favorites but nothing you said was wrong. Very of its time!

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i'm sorry i said mash sucked

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Until Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, Jackie Brown was my favorite Tarantino film. It marks a real crossroads in his career where his name didn't have to have been synonymous with a very particular type of ultra-violent crassness (though to be fair his dialogue has always been the real selling point of his films for me), the fact he worked off an Elmore Leonard script but avoided a lot of the style you'd expect from Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction really made the film stand out to me, but apparently people really disliked it/wanted the same old thing they'd previous seen so he doubled down on what brought him to the dance for Kill Bill.

Plus it's one of the few times in "modern" (it's over 20 years old now!) film that DeNiro played a loving idiot loser moron, and I loving loved that. I can't think of anything past Mean Streets or Hey Mom! where DeNiro let himself be a loser like that.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Seth Rollins posted:

Jackie Brown – Pam Grier is fine. goddamn. good lord. i basically act like Robert DeNiro's character in real life. Ms. Grier, do you post here on this forum? please send me a private message if you do.

God drat I know it man. I don't always love Tarantino but the way he shot her in that movie was pure admire this loving woman and I agree.

Edit-I really need to give Once Upon A Time in Hollywood another shot. I was really bored by it the first time because it felt like a predictable culmination of his last 10 years. But maybe that's a good thing.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 30, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The "romance" between Forster and Grier in that film is so loving beautiful too, especially their final parting.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Jerusalem posted:

Until Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, Jackie Brown was my favorite Tarantino film. It marks a real crossroads in his career where his name didn't have to have been synonymous with a very particular type of ultra-violent crassness (though to be fair his dialogue has always been the real selling point of his films for me), the fact he worked off an Elmore Leonard script but avoided a lot of the style you'd expect from Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction really made the film stand out to me, but apparently people really disliked it/wanted the same old thing they'd previous seen so he doubled down on what brought him to the dance for Kill Bill.

Plus it's one of the few times in "modern" (it's over 20 years old now!) film that DeNiro played a loving idiot loser moron, and I loving loved that. I can't think of anything past Mean Streets or Hey Mom! where DeNiro let himself be a loser like that.

i found it refreshing that the violence was mostly below frame or far in the distance. the dialogue was great. there were a lot of nice long takes too.

and don't think i'm not reading between the lines with that description of DeNiro's character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seth Rollins posted:

there were a lot of nice long takes too.

The shot of Ordell driving Beaumont away is :kiss:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

deniro's character was actually the full inspiration for "the dude."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1299902692123381770?s=19

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Still gotta watch Jackie Brown, it's one of my biggest blind spots. OUATIH is a favorite tho, it's my current comfort movie.

It's okay to say Mash sucks, it does. I just like it, probably because my dad likes it. Weird how stuff like that happens. Mean Streets is great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It blows my mind that Mean Streets was made so early in Scorcese's career, it's so loving good. I think this Scorcese fellow might have a future in the business!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

mash is good and lost highway is good. gently caress you seth!!! just kidding. thank you for the post you son of a gun

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PiCAd0nHl0

So loving good :hellyeah:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yea ok posted:

mash is good and lost highway is good. gently caress you seth!!! just kidding. thank you for the post you son of a gun

Don't be a dick.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

my apologize.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/fK8mneO8yvU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Apocalypse Now is amazing no matter how many times I watch it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I need to rewatch Jackie Brown. I remember liking it when I watched it the first time a million years ago after being told it wasn't very good. That was probably because of the reasons J-Ru was saying.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i loved mash the series as a teenager and when i first saw the movie I thought it was loving garbage. i've warmed up to it a bit but not much. apparently it's the first major motion picture to use the word gently caress so it's got that going for it

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

i cant get behind tarantino, we need more high cinema with artistic clout, like austin powers: international man of mystery

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

yeah baby

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

wacky clown

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the real first use of the word gently caress in a major motion picture is paramount's Design for Living, if you count "loving."

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don't

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mash potatas

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the line in gone with the wind was originally "frankly my dear, I don't give a gently caress"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I don't remember if I posted about it the first time in this much detail, but I have a condition called BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) which basically means totally at random these crystals that sit in everyone's inner ear can decide to displace themselves in mine, making me prone to bouts of vertigo largely tied to certain head movements. It generally resolves itself in days, sometimes longer, and even if I was still going through an episode, I'd be able to generally go about my business, it just makes me feel sorta gross more than anything. I had my first ever flare-up the weekend of July 4, was diagnosed, then it decided to crop up again yesterday morning (as in like, 1 a.m. Friday). Just keep your fingers crossed for me it goes away like last time y'all, because it's not the worst thing in the world but your body just can't decide how it feels for a while and god it's annoying. There are things you can do to fix it sooner but it basically involves forcibly invoking the reaction for like, 15-20 minutes and I'd really rather not do that if I can help it. Vertigo sucks rear end really bad, but I'm also not like, super sick. At the same time, I feel gross enough that I feel...old? And vulnerable? I think that's the best way to describe it?

I just want it to go away. I hate it. I just want to feel like myself again. Logically I know my body is not irrevocably broken but in the moment I can't help but be afraid that I'll always feel like this. Ugh.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That sounds rough as hell foochs, god drat :smith: is there a prognosis for it? Does it usually get better or worse over time?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I only get vertigo when I'm concussed and it is The Worst™️. I usually just end up crawling around the house because standing will just make me puke. I had a bout that was nearly 2 weeks long when a baseball exploded my forehead, I was about ready to just jump out a window by the time it finally started dying down because gently caress me did it suck. Big props to ya Foochs that's an endurance challenge for sure.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just want it to go away. I hate it. I just want to feel like myself again. Logically I know my body is not irrevocably broken but in the moment I can't help but be afraid that I'll always feel like this. Ugh.
I had a similar experience with thankfully temporary tinnitus which is probably much less scary. But it was really hard to express to people that there was this terror grabbing my chest I would never get better and it would just constantly get worse, which I think is what you're expressing? Like rationally I was fine but my stress levels rocketed to insanity. It took months to get over it completely but later the return to normality made later episodes less and less worrisome. It came and went for much of 2016.

Months later I had an MRI on Christmas Eve for it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

That sounds rough as hell foochs, god drat :smith: is there a prognosis for it? Does it usually get better or worse over time?

BPPV just kinda is what it is. Sometimes people only get it once, sometimes they periodically get it over a year or two, sometimes it's a lifelong thing that periodically crops up. There's no way for me to really know other than what I know. All I know is it's not degenerative and isn't an indicator of any more severe health issues. Some BPPV has a root cause i.e. head trauma, but others are idiopathic, as mine is.

Spiderdrake posted:

I had a similar experience with thankfully temporary tinnitus which is probably much less scary. But it was really hard to express to people that there was this terror grabbing my chest I would never get better and it would just constantly get worse, which I think is what you're expressing? Like rationally I was fine but my stress levels rocketed to insanity. It took months to get over it completely but later the return to normality made later episodes less and less worrisome. It came and went for much of 2016.

Months later I had an MRI on Christmas Eve for it.

That's pretty much exactly it, yes. Same deal. Like, the first time I had the flareup of BPPV, I literally almost puked the first couple of times and it felt like the entire room was spinning, I'd break into a flop sweat, the whole nine. Also I get nasty-rear end nystagmus for say, 15 seconds or so when I get a full on attack (nystagmus is basically your eyes deciding to lose their poo poo; to me it just seems like my vision blurring but according to my mom my eyes move like loving crazy as it's happening and then they stop). Problem is, even when I'm not having a full on attack, my head feels kinda foggy, sometimes my stomach aches a little bit, things like my appetite and sex drive go away i.e. when I'm otherwise ill, etc.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I only get vertigo when I'm concussed and it is The Worst™️. I usually just end up crawling around the house because standing will just make me puke. I had a bout that was nearly 2 weeks long when a baseball exploded my forehead, I was about ready to just jump out a window by the time it finally started dying down because gently caress me did it suck. Big props to ya Foochs that's an endurance challenge for sure.

Mine isn't that severe, but tbh the fact that mine has no root cause and that logically I know it'll get better but I have no real way of knowing when, and for all I know I could periodically deal with it forever is a loving horror show.

There's a thing called the Epley Maneuver that's designed to fix it that could easily be done in 15-20 minutes at home, but as I said, it basically requires forcibly making the thing happen until it stops (because you're moving your head in a way to get the displaced inner ear crystal to settle back how it should), but I really, really don't want to do that unless I have to.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Seth Rollins posted:

the plague that never ends movie list part 9 or 10, or, a forums survey:

Lost Highway - what the heck is this baloney. i hated this. David Lynch, what the heck. do we have anyone who can defend this film on this forum?

Showgirls - now this, this is a masterpiece. Paul Verhoeven is the real genius, not David Lynch. this movie is visually stunning, full of energy, and is fun to watch. everything looks so pretty. is that the cinematography? i don't know, i only took two film classes in college. everyone who tells you this film is bad is lying to you. do we have any strippers on this forum?

how can one man be so wrong one moment and so right the next. it baffles the mind. please do not troll me

and for what its worth imo Lost Highway is Lynch's most "4fun" movie. he just sort of works in a lot of the things he's always interested in but with a bit of a twist. some of it is stuff that ends up coming back refined later in Mulholland Drive, some of it crops up again in Inland Empire, and a TON of it is a bridge between Twin Peaks 1/2/FWWM and The Return. Thematically though it's mostly just connective tissue.

Showgirls is Verhoeven's best movie and Jackie Brown is Tarintino's best movie though and I stand by that. Locked arm in arm with everyone's friend Seth Rollins

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 30, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lost Highway has the scariest single scene in any Lynch work

https://youtu.be/qZowK0NAvig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Lost Highway has the scariest single scene in any Lynch work

https://youtu.be/qZowK0NAvig

I think the Laura Dern shot (you know the one) in Inland edges it out, but this is also pretty scary.