Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bye Abe, thanks Abe, see you around Abe :/ Odaijini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:rip: abe, bleeding out his doo doo rear end

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ta ra, Droopy. Kinda funny that now he won’t see the Olympics as PM.

Rumors are Taro Aso as interim PM, that‘ll be fun (/sarcasm). We’ll see if and when the opposition party gets its poo poo back together.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

the opposition party gets its poo poo back together.

not that you're saying they will, it's just their unrelenting ineptness makes me scoff reflexively at the very idea

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I watched Abe's conference tonight. His resignation due to poor health does not please me, because an appealing replacement does not exist.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

I watched Abe's conference tonight. His resignation due to poor health does not please me, because an appealing replacement does not exist.

true, who's gonna push the article 9 reform into the end zone now

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

what about those guys driving around in the black vans blaring music? maybe it's finally their turn

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I don't even believe this is about Abe's health at all. Historically low polling means this is just a play to preserve the LDP as close to what it is as possible despite falling approvals. They'll turn around later after doing exactly what Abe would have done and make a case that whoever is leader had to make the same tough choices.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I don't even believe this is about Abe's health at all. Historically low polling means this is just a play to preserve the LDP as close to what it is as possible despite falling approvals. They'll turn around later after doing exactly what Abe would have done and make a case that whoever is leader had to make the same tough choices.

there is some rumor the Hiroshima campaign finance stuff could embroil him as well, plus Hanami-gate and some push to re-open the right wing elementary school land deal stuff...

almost feels like he's jumping before being pushed.

at least it sounds like Taro Aso won't stand in the leadership contest, so there won't be a Boris or Trump level of embarrassing gaffes.

Mr. Fix It posted:

not that you're saying they will, it's just their unrelenting ineptness makes me scoff reflexively at the very idea

oh yeah they're almost as bad as the DNC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

oh yeah they're almost as bad as the DNC.

Eh. The LDP's been around 64 years and has been in power for 60 of those. Japanese opposition parties are way more inept than the Democrats.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Looking forward to nothing changing!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Looking forward to nothing changing!

Things change, I mean Abe is retiring in part because decisions changing policy specifically toward older Japanese people pissed off a lot of.. older Japanese people. You're probably right that tourism and travel won't be terribly affected, but it's very possible that the next government could be more hostile to more permanent or long-term stays/residence, if that's even possible [exactly because that plays well with older Japanese people].

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 28, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Nah, Japan has it right. Who in their right mind would have kids today.

When I'm old and dying in a nursing home with no offspring to look after me, at least I won't have to worry about the robots running the home stealing from me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

remind me how many kids does Abe and his wife have

Nanigans posted:

Nah, Japan has it right. Who in their right mind would have kids today.

When I'm old and dying in a nursing home with no offspring to look after me, at least I won't have to worry about the robots running the home stealing from me.

"people in their 20s and 30s aren't even looking for partners or sex, how wacky!" articles about the U.S. started popping up recently, further proving that Japan is just even later late-capitalism than elsewhere.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

remind me how many kids does Abe and his wife have

the stories of shinzo and akie being some sort of hotwifing open marriage are some of my favorite unfounded problematic rumors

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shammypants posted:

Things change, I mean Abe is retiring in part because decisions changing policy specifically toward older Japanese people pissed off a lot of.. older Japanese people. You're probably right that tourism and travel won't be terribly affected, but it's very possible that the next government could be more hostile to more permanent or long-term stays/residence, if that's even possible [exactly because that plays well with older Japanese people].

how do you manage to be wrong about every single assertion you make? was i wrong that you're just an ignorant racist and this is some elaborate troll?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Stringent posted:

how do you manage to be wrong about every single assertion you make? was i wrong that you're just an ignorant racist and this is some elaborate troll?

Citation needed

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
*literally easiest visa process in the entire industrialized world*
*ability to apply for permanent residence after 1 year*

loving Japan it's just impossible to live there!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

isn't the permanent residency after 1 year thing only for if youre a "highly qualified migrant" or something? i was there on a marriage visa but i had to reapply every year

it's true that it was definitely a lot easier for me to get a visa in japan than for my wife to get one for holland, holland doesnt even have a real marriage visa, we only got in by using a temporary loophole for japanese immigrants. she did get one for 5 years right away though, i think a lot of the irritation at the japanese immigration system comes from the yearly reapplication stuff

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

it's true that it was definitely a lot easier for me to get a visa in japan than for my wife to get one for holland, holland doesnt even have a real marriage visa, we only got in by using a temporary loophole for japanese immigrants. she did get one for 5 years right away though, i think a lot of the irritation at the japanese immigration system comes from the yearly reapplication stuff

well it's not just "yearly re-application," it's the "make a submission and it's 1-, 3- or 5-years depending on how Tanaka-san at Immigration feels" problem.

I changed my visa type and applied for an extension when I changed jobs about five years ago, and despite living in Japan 4 years, they gave me a 3-year extension on the new visa type. Others who became co-workers and moved to Japan for the job without ever having set foot in the country before were given 5-year visas right away. There's seemingly no rhyme or reason behind it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

isn't the permanent residency after 1 year thing only for if youre a "highly qualified migrant" or something? i was there on a marriage visa but i had to reapply every year

Yeah the 1 year fast track process has some (relatively) high requirements to it, but it exists. It also gives a whole bunch of points to people who have, for example, gone through Japanese schooling, which is good. So if you've been to a Japanese uni to get a bachelors, have N1 (which I drat well hope you have as a student for 4 years in Japan even if you did class in English), went to one of the "Top Global Uni Project" unis designated by MEXT, which is a whole bunch of them, and are under 29 (most uni grads are) you have 60 points right there. As long as you make 4mm JPY a year you then have 70, qualifying for 3 year fast track to PR. If you've got a Masters (20 points instead of 10 for a Bachelors) or make more money (6mm gives you 20 points instead of) you've got 80, which gets you 1 year fast track.

Marriage visas they do also tend to start you with 1 year visas to discourage people who are doing fake marriages or just marrying for the visas - the bar, after all, is really very low if all you need to do is get married and have a full working visa with no limits after the fairly simple application process. If you're married though, once you 1) have been married for 3 years and 2) get a given a 3+ year marriage visa then you can apply for PR right then.

Basically PR in Japan now is really very easy if you know the right methods, and a whooole lot of people can qualify for application very fast. Japan has generally very lenient visa processes. It also does things like have most visas not attached to your company, etc. which gives you freedom to quit a bad job, unlike some other countries.

Where Japan gets a bad rap for visas is from people who don't know the details and hear about 1) Japan taking *extremely* few refugees, which is true and absolutely something they should do more of, 2) people mistakenly thinking you can't get Japanese citizenship, which is absolutely not true as you can, but it's Jus Sanguis and many ignorant Westerners don't realize that virtually unlimited Jus Soli a la the US is actually very rare, and you also need to abdicate other citizenships when applying. This means that people who just wanted a Japanese passport purely for convenience generally don't do so because you have to actually, y'know, actively want to be a citizen. I would personally like it if Japan allowed duals both for later in life application, and cleaned up their very grey laws for those born with other citizenships, but it's not actually a policy that far out of the norm.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shammypants posted:

Citation needed

You're like a markov bot of internet posts about Japan written by people who've never lived in Japan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harperdc posted:

well it's not just "yearly re-application," it's the "make a submission and it's 1-, 3- or 5-years depending on how Tanaka-san at Immigration feels" problem.

I changed my visa type and applied for an extension when I changed jobs about five years ago, and despite living in Japan 4 years, they gave me a 3-year extension on the new visa type. Others who became co-workers and moved to Japan for the job without ever having set foot in the country before were given 5-year visas right away. There's seemingly no rhyme or reason behind it.

yeah thats true i guess, i dunno how it happens exactly. i lucked out pretty hard in this department because my father in law is an immigration solicitor so he always went to the immigration office for me (he used some kind of backdoor process so he could just skip the queue and stuff), but i still got only 1 year every time despite this. i suppose if i ever go back i'll be able to get a longer visa, also because i have an MA now

in holland you can basically only get in if you have money or a very steady, contract based form of employment. if you have money you can buy your way in through an entrepreneur's visa, but everyone else has to be employed on an old fashioned contract (being self employed or on a zero hours contract doesn't work), the contract has to be minimum wage and valid for over a year, which is pretty rare for most regular jobs which use some form or other of "flexible" employment. if my wife is here on the basis of my contract, and i get fired, my wife would just get kicked out. this is basically much harsher than in japan where it's just like "you're married? okay here's your visa". other EU countries make it a bit easier though, but only a bit.

i dunno how this compares to the us or australia or whatever

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'm going to edit this out. If you want to accuse people of being racist for having opinions or stating things that aren't racist Stringent, that's on you. I don't care if you're a regular in a thread or want to gatekeep threads. Keep it to yourself.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 29, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

I'm going to edit this out. If you want to accuse people of being racist for having opinions or stating things that aren't racist Stringent, that's on you. I don't care if you're a regular in a thread or want to gatekeep threads. Keep it to yourself.

Stringent is a famous rear end in a top hat, and I mean *famous*; I know this because I can also be quite the rear end in a top hat and even I think he's an rear end in a top hat. But he's also not wrong in that literally all your posts are really bizarrely misinformed and generally objectively and provably wrong. If it makes you feel better you can talk to me who's elucidated in greater detail why you're objectively wrong, instead of making driveby (presumably drunk) posts about you being dumb a la monsieur Stringent, though I'm beginning to think this all may be a waste of my time.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Go ahead and PM me, I’ll reply, not interested in throwing around insults in a tourism thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

2) people mistakenly thinking you can't get Japanese citizenship, which is absolutely not true as you can, but it's Jus Sanguis and many ignorant Westerners don't realize that virtually unlimited Jus Soli a la the US is actually very rare, and you also need to abdicate other citizenships when applying. This means that people who just wanted a Japanese passport purely for convenience generally don't do so because you have to actually, y'know, actively want to be a citizen. I would personally like it if Japan allowed duals both for later in life application, and cleaned up their very grey laws for those born with other citizenships, but it's not actually a policy that far out of the norm.

I had heard that one of the quirks of Japanese citizenship is that you have to renounce all other citizenships, but you do that renunciation in front of the Japanese government so it’s straightforward to maintain the other ones by simply not doing their renunciation process, as long as the non-Japanese country doesn’t also have an exclusivity thing with its citizenship.

Admittedly that all holds up until something involving a legal system happens and you probably run the risk of losing at least one of your citizenships.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Midjack posted:

I had heard that one of the quirks of Japanese citizenship is that you have to renounce all other citizenships, but you do that renunciation in front of the Japanese government so it’s straightforward to maintain the other ones by simply not doing their renunciation process, as long as the non-Japanese country doesn’t also have an exclusivity thing with its citizenship.

Admittedly that all holds up until something involving a legal system happens and you probably run the risk of losing at least one of your citizenships.

my wife thought of doing this (getting a dutch passport in addition to her japanese one, japanese citizens also need to renounce their citizenship when they get a second nationality) but from what she's read about it online it seems risky. she can simply not tell the japanese government, but it'll still raise questions when she gets back to japan without stamps etc which could land her in trouble. i kind of hope they'll allow it at some point, or at least make some exceptions for if you're married to a foreigners, but fat chance

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

Go ahead and PM me, I’ll reply, not interested in throwing around insults in a tourism thread.

No

Midjack posted:

This is mixing up two different scenarios I think:

1) having other citizenships from birth; the laws as stated are that people who have other citizenships "must make effort to" (努力義務 is the concept, don't feel like checking the specific text at this second) renounce other citizenships once they reach majority, but doesn't specify what qualifies as effort, there's apparently precedence/interpretation that "making effort" is not practicably enforceable, and more importantly the Japanese gov't has apparently never actually (ever, even once) gone after someone who refused to finalize their renunciation of other citizenships (indeed, there are cases such as with I believe Mexico where you literally can't) and stripped them of their Japanese citizenship as punishment. Essentially what happens is that upon majority if the Japanese govt realizes you have multiple citizenships they send you some forms/harassment telling you you need to choose; as long as you say "I choose Japanese citizenship" it basically ends there. Some people don't know the details of this greyness and get scared and choose US, etc. and abdicate their Japanese citizenship when they functionally didn't need to.

2) there's entirely different laws/processes regarding either A) a born Japanese citizen acquiring another citizenship later in life (illegal without renouncing your Japanese citizenship at the same time... if the gov't finds out. No idea how often they actually enforce or find out; I happened to be unfortunate bearer of bad news for a couple of distant acquaintances who literally didn't know this and got other citizenships, though I don't know what came of it), or B) a non-Japanese born person who seeks Japanese citizenship later in life - they generally require more solid documentation of abdication of citizenship, and I've heard of at least one incident of a US citizen who either pulled a fast one, or reapplied for US citizenship and got punished for it. Actually don't know how they deal with cases where someone literally can't abdicate citizenship in this case.

TL;DR is that Japan allows de facto dual citizenship if it's from birth because their ban on it not enforcable in that scenario and they don't even try, but anything happening after majority is basically you're in serious trouble if you're caught, but some do it anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That makes sense that they’d scrutinize naturalized citizens more thoroughly than someone who was born into a dual-cit situation. I only have indirect knowledge of the situation from picking through some old documents that came up in a barely related context.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Many people here have assumed that marriage granted me jp citizenship automatically and I lol. Taxes, health insurance, etc. are the same for non-citizens. I have heard a few stories of pension payments being denied, but there were always complicating factors like multiple international moves, and years/age requirements.

Every time you change visa status, you'll get 1 year. Renewing the same visa status may get you 3 or 5. Unless the clerk dislikes you/your company. I've never heard of anyone with an appropriate, complete, timely visa renewal application get denied… all you got to do is drop some papers at the office once a year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Many people here have assumed that marriage granted me jp citizenship automatically and I lol. Taxes, health insurance, etc. are the same for non-citizens. I have heard a few stories of pension payments being denied, but there were always complicating factors like multiple international moves, and years/age requirements.

Every time you change visa status, you'll get 1 year. Renewing the same visa status may get you 3 or 5. Unless the clerk dislikes you/your company. I've never heard of anyone with an appropriate, complete, timely visa renewal application get denied… all you got to do is drop some papers at the office once a year.

I've had the same questions from other Americans and just drop them the Japan Times' long feature from last year on dual citizenship, y'all may have your quibbles with the JT (and I do too) but it serves as a good enough glimpse for Normie Americans.

also when I changed status and renewed my visa to move on from teaching I got three years, so I'm not sure 1 year is a rule? it honestly just seems arbitrary.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

I've had the same questions from other Americans and just drop them the Japan Times' long feature from last year on dual citizenship, y'all may have your quibbles with the JT (and I do too) but it serves as a good enough glimpse for Normie Americans.

also when I changed status and renewed my visa to move on from teaching I got three years, so I'm not sure 1 year is a rule? it honestly just seems arbitrary.

Thanks, that was a useful read.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

peanut posted:

Every time you change visa status, you'll get 1 year. Renewing the same visa status may get you 3 or 5.

i got 1 year on my renewal, same visa status (marriage), the clerk never saw me

it's possible they're less lenient towards non-american/british westerners?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Several guys I work with are from the EU and they mostly seem to get three or five years. It's a complete black box as far as I can tell.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
;_; I could qualify for the 1 year Highly Skilled Visa (Software Engineer)

- 10 Bachelors
- 20 Years of Experience = 10
- 40 Salary
- 10 Age
- 15 N1
- 15 Patents

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

;_; I could qualify for the 1 year Highly Skilled Visa (Software Engineer)

- 10 Bachelors
- 20 Years of Experience = 10
- 40 Salary
- 10 Age
- 15 N1
- 15 Patents

You could potentially have trouble finding a job in Japan with the same/similar salary but tbh for SE and a good background a foreign company would do it.

The trick about the HSFP visa is not actually get the HSFP visa in case you want to jump ship; you can still use the points to get the 1 year accelerated PR application.

peanut posted:

Every time you change visa status, you'll get 1 year.

You definitely can't say this strictly. Marriage visas seem to usually get 1 year, work etc. can be diff. My first work visa as 5 years off the bat, though it was probably helped by having graduated from Japanese uni.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
B-but how can I get fast tracked if I have no paten-

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080281766A1/en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Looking for Japanese tour guide companies such as this one - https://www.hankyu-travel.com/

Anyone have any other recommendations?