Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, there's a non-zero chance that all the actors who played the princesses specifically refused to come back since they're practically walk-on roles that are barely there. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they loved the parts and would've loved to do more but the princesses are really underwritten and I could see actors just going "nah" if they had other things going on, or if they wanted more money.

There's a video interview they did; they seem pretty excited to see the movie, all things considered. They said that at one point they were considered to be brought back to reprise their roles, but it didn't happen. Also the daughter of one of them actually auditioned to play their daughter, which would have been cute, (although I know nothing about the daughter's acting skill).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It definitely feels like there was some cut content like with the princess stuff. Also there's the whole thing where after Bill and Ted get done talking to the oldest version of themselves the phone booth is gone, which never gets addressed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie was hilarious and exceeded my expectations. I needed a good laugh so it was much appreciated.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

muscles like this! posted:

It definitely feels like there was some cut content like with the princess stuff. Also there's the whole thing where after Bill and Ted get done talking to the oldest version of themselves the phone booth is gone, which never gets addressed.

That's where the older princesses got their phone booth from. Bill and Ted get back to the present time through Hell.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It does get addressed. The phone booth was taken by the elderly princesses. They're returning in it with the present day princesses when Bill and Ted get vaporized by Dennis.

The real hanging thread the movie leaves unexplored is there are now two copies of Ted's dad in the present, because the one at MP46 is from 2022.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I always wonder how much people actually pay attention when they watch movies when I read stuff like this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This was a pretty bogus movie all around my dudes. It felt like a bad fan film, was overly concerned with callbacks and explaining the plot, had subplots that didn't make sense or go anywhere (ie the princesses in the time machine) was aesthetically ugly and just not very funny. I didn't hate it because it still seemed like an honest labor of love and the leads are still likeable (really, the cast in general), but the execution left something to be desired. The best scene was the bit where Bill and Ted say goodbye to their elderly selves on their deathbeds, speaking to them as if they're different people, which got a good laugh out of me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the Princess Wives definitely get underwritten, in that I kept waiting for a payoff or a scene or anything that never came. Maybe just having Bill & Ted be divorced at the start of the film was too much of a bummer?

There were 2-3 points in the movie where I felt deep brain poisoning, in that I was expecting things to get darker or weirder or here a swear word, but the film stayed true to form and never really teetered.

Also the central conceit of the therapy scene has a completely unearned payoff at the end of the movie and that bothered me more than basically anything else (besides Kristen Schaal)

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Look out the window of the nursing home.

I'm still convinced they weren't really the old princesses in the original script. Especially the weird way they waved at them outside the therapist's office.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Definitely a waste of talent all around, Kristin Schaal, Jayma Mays, Anthony Carrigan, Samara Weaving all underutilized. I'm not familiar with the other princess wife but probably the same.

Bill and Ted and Bill and Ted's scenes with Bill and Ted were all good. I love buff prison B&T that was the one part that I felt came closest to the absurdity of the second film I wish they could have kept that energy going. I guess that overall we just needed more Bill and Ted less everything else.

Also another thing I wanna add is that despite Alex Winters putting acting on the backburner for umpteen plus years he didn't come off as such, he was great. I actually thought he was overall less wooden and more natural than Keanu.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was listening to the Bogus Journey commentary with Alex Winter the other night, and the subject of the princesses being recast for Bogus came up and apparently nobody knows why it happened. So not due to availability or wanting a different set of people for a particular reason, but possibly someone casting who simply didn’t realize those were returning roles. There’s another commentary tho, maybe it comes up in that with a more solid reason.

Also just because I don’t remember seeing it mentioned here (but I have a terrible memory so it probably has) there’s a post credit scene that’s quite fun and worth watching if you liked the film.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Also another thing I wanna add is that despite Alex Winters putting acting on the backburner for umpteen plus years he didn't come off as such, he was great. I actually thought he was overall less wooden and more natural than Keanu.

I also thought Alex Winter was noticeably better than Keanu at bringing the character back. Keanu seemed like he was on autopilot and I think all the years of John Wick have made his face unable to smile. He wasn’t really bringing the Ted energy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
TIL the Bill and Ted cartoon had Winters and Keanu do the voices for season 1 but recast and had the actors that played Bill and Ted in a live action series do the voices for season 2. I can't believe they'd recast when they had the movie actors.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They even had George Carlin and recast him. That should be a crime!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

I also thought Alex Winter was noticeably better than Keanu at bringing the character back. Keanu seemed like he was on autopilot and I think all the years of John Wick have made his face unable to smile. He wasn’t really bringing the Ted energy.

The movie sort of makes it clear that Ted is a bit more depressed with his lot in life and resentful of having never reached their prophesized destiny while Bill was still wanting to plug away. It's not really until toward the end of the movie and after meeting his near dying self and finally getting the recognition and support of his father, something he wanted his whole life that he seems a bit more energetic. The series always portrayed Ted as having the rougher end of the duo due to his authoritarian dad who just wanted to get rid of Ted via sending him off to a military academy.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 29, 2020

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

G-III posted:

The movie sort of makes it clear that Ted is a bit more depressed with his lot in life and resentful of having never reached their prophesized destiny while Bill was still wanting to plug away. It's not really until toward the end of the movie and after meeting his near dying self and finally getting the recognition and support of his father, something he wanted his whole life that he seems a bit more energetic. The series always portrayed Ted as having the rougher end of the duo due to his authoritarian dad who just wanted to get rid of Ted via sending him off to a military academy.

now that you bring up Ted's dad, does it actually make sense for him to still not believe they traveled through time after the events of the first two movies?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I agree with the criticisms. It had a few good moments, but not enough to make up for the bad everything else.

JazzFlight posted:

"Millenial Whoop, the Song"

Perfect description. I knew it was never going to be a good song, I was just thinking a generation too far.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Breadallelogram posted:

now that you bring up Ted's dad, does it actually make sense for him to still not believe they traveled through time after the events of the first two movies?

Eh, the bit at the end of Bogus Journey could just mean his son was good at stagecraft. The movie does make it clear after Ted's dad goes to hell that his son was undeniably telling the truth.

The more I think about this movie the more I like it to be honest. We have to remember this movie had to struggle to get made even at the quality it was able to achieve. The fact that it was made at all and wasn't a total embarrassment is an achievement in of itself so I'm starting to come around on its obvious lack of fit/finish compared to previous installments.

I'm also starting to come around on the importance of the daughters. The series is quite clear that Bill & Ted had the ambition, eventually they did learn how to play, but they couldn't write or compose because well... they're kinda dummies. But by being positive and being supportive of their children, their kids developed the skills they needed through their encyclopedic knowledge of music to fill the gap. In essence, Bill & Ted's lives and effort did have meaning and they did manage to save the world because without them and them being examples to their kids (which Ted's father accuses them of not being) the ending couldn't have been achieved. Anyone who thinks this ending is a cop out is really missing the forest for the trees.

G-III fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 29, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
'Be excellent to each other and party on dudes' was always the heart of Bill and Ted's message, so I like that read.

Edit like, being a good and kind dude should always trump ambition and achievement

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

G-III posted:

I guess I can see that, I just wanted a bit more of the Ted we knew. Thinking about it more he actually seemed to be having a lot of fun in the bits where he played the future versions of Ted.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The moral of the story was that, in the end, Bill & Ted's symbiotic level of codependency was correct, after all, because their platonic love and support for each other allowed them to be loving and supportive in their serious emotional relationships with their wives and daughters.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Agreed with goons who think the Princesses may have had more time in a previous cut/should have had more time. The little moments that did exist with them were some of the funniest gags imho, like in the therapy scene where they start explaining that no, actually they ARE princesses and were born in 1408 (lol but she was born in 1410 the old hag) and poo poo like that. They're just so loving earnest and Jayma Mays' incredibly weird accent is hilarious.

The movie was already balancing too many things going on at once tho so their storyline behind more in the background was for the best. If they had any more time the movie would be way too long or we'd cut too much into the daughters' time, probably, and they needed more than we got imo

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I enjoyed this and had some truly laugh out loud moments (buckethead), but it should have been called Bill & Ted Face The Green Screen.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Bust Rodd posted:

I also lol’d extra hard at the idea of Ted vs Ted+2 years fighting, because while they are portrayed as aging hipster surf rockers, a Keanu vs Keanu fist fight would be objectively insane to watch unfold. He’s like one of the only people on Earth that really knows gunkata, and he has been trained and mastered multiple martial arts and defense techniques.

I don't agree with this at all, it almost looks like Keanu can barely move in this film, he sort of stiffly lurches about like he's 70 and has joint problems. Alex Winter was great but Keanu looked old, tired and stiff, so much so it felt a bit sad to watch this decrepit older guy acting like a teenager (although that's sort of the point).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

G-III posted:

We have to remember this movie had to struggle to get made even at the quality it was able to achieve.

I mean, I see people bring this up, but I have to kind of wonder if it's not a chicken-egg thing. Like, the fact that Bill and Ted 3 was almost impossible to get funding for just kind of doesn't make sense; the first two movies were pretty big hits that have maintained a pretty huge following even up to now, Keanu has had the clout to get movies made for easily two decades if not longer, and it's not a movie that necessitates a budget over maybe 30mil (hell, they made it for 25mil as it stands). You'd think execs would see the pitch and think "hey, free money" and greenlight it without a second thought.

Given we've known about the basic premise they were going with for years before this came out, I really have to wonder if the trouble wasn't just "they saw a potential turd and didn't wanna be in the smell zone."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This movie certainly is one of the first times I've been made very aware of Keanu's age tbh, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or if it's finally just catching up to him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno he looks really fluid in the John Wick films and he is actively filming the matrix right now and also he's only 55 years old and is great shape, so I have to assume this was a directorial decision or a character acting choice and not a Harrison Ford situation.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thought it was weird that Death said he couldn’t help them because he didn’t have as much pull down there after taking them back last time.

1) They challenged him and beat him. Four times! He was only doing his job by bringing them back.

2) He then proceeds to bring everyone back without issue.

Why even have that line in there?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUylHbwTzE

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thought it was weird that Death said he couldn’t help them because he didn’t have as much pull down there after taking them back last time.

1) They challenged him and beat him. Four times! He was only doing his job by bringing them back.

2) He then proceeds to bring everyone back without issue.

Why even have that line in there?

Good point on your second point, that was bizarre. On your first point, I always thought that he was never supposed to let anyone win, just give them the false hope of being able to defeat death, and by losing he hosed up big time. Which is why he was so desperate to not let them win and kept adding games.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

On the second point, I think the idea was not that he no longer had the ability to take people up top, but that if he was caught doing it again he'd be demoted even lower/fired.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

esperterra posted:

On the second point, I think the idea was not that he no longer had the ability to take people up top, but that if he was caught doing it again he'd be demoted even lower/fired.

Yeah I read the post shortly before getting to that point again and while I can see it could be read as him no longer being able to do that, he doesn’t explicitly say that. Just that he got in trouble for sending friends back up.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
This was a lot more fun than I anticipated. Genuine laughs at a lot of the character bits and interactions. Dennis was a pleasant surprise.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

19 o'clock posted:

This was a lot more fun than I anticipated. Genuine laughs at a lot of the character bits and interactions. Dennis was a pleasant surprise.

I loved Dennis aka "Not-Freeza" messing up everything. His "oh no!" reaction after killing Bill and Ted's family was hilarious. Although I think his character needed closure, he just goes away to the future and that's it.

Anyways, movie starts slow, then gets better, some jokes didn't land but at the end I was smiling and feeling better after being distracted from the knowledge that we live in hellworld in real life. It's need a bit more "oomph" but overall as okay.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway, a nice enough and upbeat story about two guys dealing with the fact that their promised greatness never came. They address this first by trying to find the success they believed is their entitlement but, failing that, make peace with death (literally) and support the next generation in saving the world. This is the happiest, most upbeat movie about global warming you'll find.

Read this the other night but wanted to come back and say :yeah: great take

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I read the post shortly before getting to that point again and while I can see it could be read as him no longer being able to do that, he doesn’t explicitly say that. Just that he got in trouble for sending friends back up.

Not only did he bring people up, he stayed up there with them and won the Indianapolis 500

I imagine Satan was quite annoyed with his appointed Reaper running around in a rock band and winning NASCAR races instead of ferrying the dead to the afterlife

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In fairness, he didn’t know he could run that fast.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Desperado Bones posted:

Anyways, movie starts slow, then gets better, some jokes didn't land but at the end I was smiling and feeling better after being distracted from the knowledge that we live in hellworld in real life. It's need a bit more "oomph" but overall as okay.

100% this. I started it as a second-screener and by the end was totally hooked.

EL BROMANCE posted:

In fairness, he didn’t know he could run that fast.

The Death scenes were great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Perfect description. I knew it was never going to be a good song, I was just thinking a generation too far.

They specifically say that in the end the song didn't matter so much as everyone playing it together. They knew the song itself was never going to be the great thing it's set up as, so they built in an out for anyone who doesn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Having chewed on it for a day, the one thing that bothers me is when anyone dies, they go directly to Hell. In Bogus Journey, they were ghosts first, then Death came for them, then they fled, then they were sent to Hell in a seance. It's a silly thing to get hung up on, but I just feel like if you're going to revisit hell, you should do something more interesting with it than, well, nothing. It was visually boring and basically of no consequence and served only to reunite them with Death. It's a bummer considering how excellent the Hell sequences in Bogus Journey are.