Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's a good point, there are other ways to make money from the successfully marketed adult audience than catering to these adults in the videogames especially since the adults have always been the ones buying the games and the games have always been beatable by spamming the first attack on the first monster you get

anyone wanting a new metroid rushed out must not have played Other M. They can take as long as they want, there is much to atone for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo was pretty unprecedently early and open about Metroid Prime 4's development, with the announcement of nothing but a title and then the complete restart of development, since they're aware the fanbase is vocal and feels neglected. (and the last couple entries have been disappointing) Especially since there's quite a history in recent times of publishers neglecting and abandoning beloved franchises for no apparent reason and/or not meeting wildly unrealistic sales targets or arbitrary metrics of enthusiasm. (see Capcom)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's also one of their weakest franchises from a sales perspective isn't it? still, they sell their consoles in a big way off their reputation and the presumption that this or that beloved franchise will have a new one on it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mr nutz for snes is good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

it's also one of their weakest franchises from a sales perspective isn't it? still, they sell their consoles in a big way off their reputation and the presumption that this or that beloved franchise will have a new one on it.

It is one of their weaker, but more pressingly for Nintendo, in Japan. Back when they made Metroid Prime Games they all cleared a million units sold and the very dumb idea behind Metroid: Other M was "Lets make this really really Japanese appealing because apparently Americans will buy this anyway".

This brilliant strategy resulted in a game on a system with 3-4x the install base of the gamecube at the time selling less than 500,000 copies, and most of them in the United States anyway.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 30, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cost of make videogames has been creeping up a few % to more than that each year for the past 50 years, video game prices have gone down. total addressable market went way up but for nintendo that cant move the needle as easily anymore

microtransactions have fixed the financial part but that doesnt help the increased cost

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

cost of make videogames has been creeping up a few % to more than that each year for the past 50 years, video game prices have gone down. total addressable market went way up but for nintendo that cant move the needle as easily anymore

microtransactions have fixed the financial part but that doesnt help the increased cost

do nintendo games have the same absurd budget of other "AAA" games? nintendo never seems to go for photo-realism, no on is being hired to lovingly render each of marios mustache hairs

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Dark Souls has stiff and bad combat that feels more like I'm following a script than reacting to my enemy. And the story is terribly told. People vilify audio log stories, this is basically that but without the audio.

Bloodborne, meanwhile, which fixes a lot of those issues, isn't out on PC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bloodborne has the worst combat of its ilk and where I gave up on Fromsoft because I realized after hating Dark Souls 2 and 3 that From did not intentionally create Dark Souls as a sequel that fixed what I didn't like about Demon's Souls.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

It is one of their weaker, but more pressingly for Nintendo, in Japan. Back when they made Metroid Prime Games they all cleared a million units sold and the very dumb idea behind Metroid: Other M was "Lets make this really really Japanese appealing because apparently Americans will buy this anyway".

This brilliant strategy resulted in a game on a system with 3-4x the install base of the gamecube at the time selling less than 500,000 copies, and most of them in the United States anyway.

Whenever I read about the business side of game development in Japan it’s the most :psyduck: poo poo. That, Square Enix deciding that stuff like Sleeping Dogs/TR 2013 didn’t meet expectations despite selling a ton of copies, Atlus (everything about it)... it’s often just totally baffling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whenever I read about the business side of game development in Japan it’s the most :psyduck: poo poo. That, Square Enix deciding that stuff like Sleeping Dogs/TR 2013 didn’t meet expectations despite selling a ton of copies, Atlus (everything about it)... it’s often just totally baffling.

Said before there's something of a specific Japanese Game Publisher Disease, terminal cases like Konami leaving the market entirely because they basically just can't be arsed and want to make no-effort cash-ins like EA does and get confused when no one wants them. That and seemingly considering considering copies sold outside Japan, even with properties whose primary appeal is outside Japan, to not count.

Though I think S-E is a particular basket case of its own, especially looking at FF and Dragon Quest's own issues. IIRC in the latter case they rip all the orchestral music out of Western versions because of supposed piracy concerns and refuse to sell the music because they want to sell tickets to concerts?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've exchanged all of like two emails with one of the big Japanese publishers recently and I already fully understand their dysfunctions and where it all comes from because it is deep and also identical to some other businesses Ive worked with outside publishing. Im not saying US businesses are magically exempt, they 100% aren't and do all sorts of extremely stupid poo poo on the regular, just that the way Japanese game businesses do odd things matches with a very general Japan mentality approach to business operations and management.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though I think S-E is a particular basket case of its own, especially looking at FF and Dragon Quest's own issues. IIRC in the latter case they rip all the orchestral music out of Western versions because of supposed piracy concerns and refuse to sell the music because they want to sell tickets to concerts?

This is a little more complex; said composer owns owns the music and is a foundational member of Japans equivalent of the RIAA in addition to beIng a far right nutter with government connections so he kind of has SE over the barrel regarding whatever madness infiltrated his brain this time about the music of Dragon Quest. It is an open secret SE is basically just waiting for him to die so they can hopefully renegotiate over the music rights.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I've exchanged all of like two emails with one of the big Japanese publishers recently and I already fully understand their dysfunctions and where it all comes from because it is deep and also identical to some other businesses Ive worked with outside publishing. Im not saying US businesses are magically exempt, they 100% aren't and do all sorts of extremely stupid poo poo on the regular, just that the way Japanese game businesses do odd things matches with a very general Japan mentality approach to business operations and management.

When US companies do stupid poo poo, it’s usually trying to get some form of short term profits. I can at least see some kind of practical motivation there. With Japanese companies, it’s this weird mix of seniority triumphing over all, with a bit of nationalism thrown in (like when they ignore stuff with appeal, or even actual sales, in overseas markets). It’s typically stuff that shoots them in the foot for no short term gain. Like the higher ups at Atlus/Sega having been there for a million years and not grasping how big streaming is, and blocking people from sharing video from Persona 5.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

There has never been a good pokemon game and they are completely unenjoyable by any mentally healthy person over 12. Any fondness a human being gets from them is from either being a literal child or nostalgia.

Yes, it's a video game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
worse, it's a jrpg

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

there are a couple trains of thought in regards to this, one of them being the idea that japanese publishers heavily weighted hard copy sales. but it could've been a bunch of things, like maybe it did well enough to justify having funded development in the past tense, but too low to justify a sequel based on cost::sales projections; or distributors didn't buy enough physical copies because the west was already widely adopting digital downloads.

also the p5 stream blocking was only everything that happens after the in media res opening sequence to prevent spoilers

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 30, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

also the p5 stream blocking was only everything that happens after the in media res opening sequence to prevent spoilers

95 percent of game companies don’t really care about spoilers, since they know streaming is basically free advertising. Atlus blocking that entirely for the sake of spoilers is definitely not understanding the market at all.

As far as the TR2013 and Sleeping Dogs fiasco, that was S-E setting insane sales goals to try to make up for FFXIV violently making GBS threads the bed at launch, and also apparently the dev nightmare that was FFXV. They have a history of throwing foreign devs under the bus to protect the Japanese dev side of things.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

me at 12: pokemon is lame and for kids, i don't need this poo poo

me as an adult: oh my god team rocket is at it again

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barudak posted:

Amusingly, according to one post-mortem review of the game, both American and Japanese audiences thought it was meant for the other.

Americans: This game is awful. All this lovely gender stuff and making Samus a meek little waifu must have been meant for Japanese gamers.

Japanese: This game is awful. All this lovely action stuff and quick time event over the top action sequences must have been meant for American gamers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shibawanko posted:

me at 12: pokemon is lame and for kids, i don't need this poo poo

me as an adult: oh my god team rocket is at it again

i ordered a pokemon game like two days ago in another language, to practice reading at a simple level in bed

what starter element should I grab

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

food court bailiff posted:

i ordered a pokemon game like two days ago in another language, to practice reading at a simple level in bed

Surprise.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

haha i dunno man sorry i just watch the cartoon, over my wife's shoulder because she uses it for language practice (it's one of the few kids shows on dutch netflix with accurate subtitles that match the dialogues). it's funny and i enjoy it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

haha i dunno man sorry i just watch the cartoon, over my wife's shoulder because she uses it for language practice (it's one of the few kids shows on dutch netflix with accurate subtitles that match the dialogues). it's funny and i enjoy it

Netflix owns for having foreign language tracks and often foreign language subtitles, get with the fuckin program hulu

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

water ones usually coolest, but fire ones tend to be most OP in the end. the green ones are sometimes really rad but usually they do something to make them kind of crappy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it’s 4th gen and I just remembered that there’s like literally two fire Pokémon in the entire game until the postgame if you don’t choose the fire starter so I guess that’s that

4th gen is really really bad lol. but that means that it imports for dirt cheap for my purposes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

well which pokemon game? the starters vary from generation to generation. so depending on it these are my picks:
bulbasaur
cyndaquil
?????? i missed gen 3
the penguin (strategically you should take the monkey because there are no fire types in gen 4 but i like the penguin better)
tsutarja
fennekin
pooplio
bench ur gen 8 starter and pretend yamper is ur starter lol

Shibawanko posted:

i love watching pokemon with subs off, it's great listening practice. look up every word you don't know and get pumped when you heard it correctly. wonder endlessly at whether what you heard meowth say was an actual word or if he was inflecting-nyaa! cheer for the pokemon when it escapes from ash. and then sometimes u will localize things differently in your brain like i know じゃーりボーイ is translated as "twerp" or "brat" but i'm like "brah team rocket calls ash 'Jerry Boy'"

i hate that they took pokemon off japanese netflix so you can't even get j-subs

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 30, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Netflix owns for having foreign language tracks and often foreign language subtitles, get with the fuckin program hulu

The policy has bitten customers in smaller markets in the rear end tho. Their internal rule is that they will only put out something if it at the very least has local subtitles. This means that for instance them releasing the last season of MST3k would be free content since they co-produced but they can't. It's not really viable to subtitle both a movie and riffing at the same time.
There's also more niche stuff like Lucha libre that they don't bother with since the wrestling audience here is so small.
The thing tho is that for instance anyone under 70 here in Norway has at least a basic understanding of spoken English. We don't bloody need subtitles and they don't seem to understand this.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that Maneater is the best game released this year. It's a shame so few people played it since it's Epic exclusive. Being a big dumb shark flopping around on a beach while eating people never ever grows old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCRmiOqUgYQ

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah the netherlands is practically an anglophone country but websites, games and other services insist on subtitling or dubbing stuff into dutch to this day instead of just giving us the english versions. games sound loving ridiculous in dutch so nobody actually wants this

it sucks that the world is ruled by monolingual societies that dont understand that multilingualism has historically been the norm

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the switch’s eShop is garbage and probably the worst part of an otherwise great console but I do like that it lists all the languages any given game supports

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

yeah the netherlands is practically an anglophone country but websites, games and other services insist on subtitling or dubbing stuff into dutch to this day instead of just giving us the english versions. games sound loving ridiculous in dutch so nobody actually wants this

it sucks that the world is ruled by monolingual societies that dont understand that multilingualism has historically been the norm

For a while during the PS3 days Sony mandated that all first party games should have Scandinavan dubs. Now this is obviously great for kid friendly games games like Little Big Planet, but completely pointless for adult stuff. I played through one of the Killzone games in Norwegian and it was hilarious. Especially since the amount of professional voice actors here are rather limited. I'm fairly certain that the bad rear end you played as was voiced by Professor Utonium/Sly Cooper.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

I gotta say I just watched this Norwegian series on Netflix and it was a trip watching a show where characters would just seamlessly switch between Norwegian, English, and Russian depending on where they were and who they were talking to without any kind of fanfare and as an American it blew my mind to see that in a show even though I assume that's normal in functional country.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I gotta say I just watched this Norwegian series on Netflix and it was a trip watching a show where characters would just seamlessly switch between Norwegian, English, and Russian depending on where they were and who they were talking to without any kind of fanfare and as an American it blew my mind to see that in a show even though I assume that's normal in functional country.

was it okkupert? and yeah its fairly normal, at least it's normal when it comes to english and one's native language, more rare when it's 3 or more languages. i read that in ancient times, because there were a lot more local and regional languages and trade and stuff it was common for people to be somewhat fluent in like 5 languages

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yup that’s the show

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

StabMasterArson posted:

The only remaining game shop chain in the UK is literally called GAME and yeah, 90% weird star wars toys and funko pops and 10% WAY overpriced games. I have no idea how they're still in business

Grandmas, christmas and the kind of person who thinks "gamer" is a subcultural identity.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

super robot wars is insanely dumb but in a fun way and I wish there was some way through the licensing hell quagmire to get them released outside of Japan, or I wish it was at least cheaper to import one of the Switch ones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whenever I read about the business side of game development in Japan it’s the most :psyduck: poo poo.

I know people with companies in (actual) industry that refuse to do business with Japanese companies in Japan because the management style in general is anti-success. They might work with Japanese companies if they can just build something somewhere else and ship it, because emails are easier to ignore than dudes coming in on-site and demanding that stuff that works gets hosed up beyond belief because a/the boss wants it that way.

Obviously there are many many other places besides Japan where business is hampered by cultural poo poo. I'm just saying it's not specifically the games industry.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
No one I know enjoys working with Americans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

No one I know enjoys working with Americans

Does America even have companies that make things anymore?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
CK3 releases today. Hopin it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

CK3 releases today. Hopin it's good.

we both know Paradox games are not worth playing until at least 2-3 years worth of expansions