Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't there a sci-fi series that at the end they find out they're inside an artificial environment even if its a standard fantasy world and the end of it is the wizards and knights walking through a space station?

Unsure about books, but you've basically described most of the Might and Magic RPG games. The Phantasy Star series to a lesser extent too, it's a little more explicitly known about in that setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

stinky ox posted:

However in order to initiate the cloning process they had to use... horse semen. And, well, not to go into detail but let's just say they didn't use artificial insemination methods.

"Motherlines", by Suzy McKee Charnas. From the first GoodReads review:

"These Riding Women take her into their community and nurse her so that her child is born healthy. They are the descendants of women who were genetically engineered to have a double set of DNA in their ova, for reasons that don't entirely make sense, but possibly were intended to create a set of well understood experimental subjects with little genetic drift. The scientists who worked on their development ensured that they can conceive - parthenogenesis, found in nature in species such as the aphid - by their ova being triggered into dividing and eventually becoming clones of themselves. Implausibly, those scientists ensured this could be done only in the presence of horse semen".

SpaceJam on BluRay posted:

so i have a contribution.... From my childhood

The potential for crossover fics is incredible!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bell_ posted:

Perhaps I'll give it a shot. I bailed on the series after Crossroads at somethingorother. No sunk-cost fallacy could save my interest in how the series ended.

I guess I could read a wiki article.

yeah, don't waste your time reading bad books, wikipedia is more than enough for that series

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zeniel posted:

The loving Zybourne Clock map is better than the Gor map!

it's a great one

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's a great one

Slums, well known for being the exact same size as upper class areas

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's been so long since I read these that I can't remember or find the books by the name. It could have just been one book with multiple stories? I'll give my best to tber the stories here

1: an elf is fleeing from a dragon, and the story is entirely from the dragons point of view. The elf infiltrated it's lair and is now fleeing. It ends with the dragon realizing it was being led into a trap and dies admitting it got tricked by a skilled dragon Slayer.

2. A bunch of dragonborn lizard guys are building a bridge. It's mostly a comedy story but it covered how each type would either explode, turn the stone and catch the weapon inside them, or ??? something else upon dying. It was mostly a comedy chapter

3. Literally a story about the first chromatic and metallic dragons and how they first emerged and fought against etc

Does anyone have any idea what this book was, I swear it was one book

this was a dragonlance fanfic anthology where they collected short stories from different authors in the universe and then published them

this one was in Dragons of Krynn specifically I looked it up and the draconians were in "The First Dragonarmy Bridging Company" by Don Perrin

gently caress there was also a short story called "Scourge of the Wicked Kendragon" in Dragons of Krynn and I hate it already

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

this was a dragonlance fanfic anthology where they collected short stories from different authors in the universe and then published them

this one was in Dragons of Krynn specifically I looked it up and the draconians were in "The First Dragonarmy Bridging Company" by Don Perrin

gently caress there was also a short story called "Scourge of the Wicked Kendragon" in Dragons of Krynn and I hate it already

lmao

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bismuth posted:

Slums, well known for being the exact same size as upper class areas

And right next door too!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Do you think there's still a market for bad sci-fi/fantasy pulp? Not that I'd sell well because I prefer to keep my sex fantasies separate from my regular work.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

super sweet best pal posted:

Do you think there's still a market for bad sci-fi/fantasy pulp? Not that I'd sell well because I prefer to keep my sex fantasies separate from my regular work.

Idk, nowadays I think people just publish their weird fetishes on fanfic sites.

I really wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these started out as weird fanfics and since there was no internet in the 70s their only way to share their kinks with the world was to publish them

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't remember what it was called, but there was this one fantasy series whose author openly admitted that he came up with it while tripping his balls off. it was about a civilization where people could take physical attributes from each other, and the one who was taken from would be permanently disabled as long as both parties were alive. each person could only contribute one physical attribute, and each would cause a different disability. the taker had to essentially run hospices for the dozens or more of people who were empowering them. also, all of this poo poo stacked. so the main conflict was between some invading king who had taken so many stats that he had essentially become an invincible living god and a prince who tried to catch up by taking as many as he could get his hands on.

it wasn't really all that good, but dang if it wasn't weird.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, the treatment for leprosy predates thomas covenant by a few years. so even the central premise of the series was always bullshit.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's a great one

I was more thinking of the other one that had a place called Book World.
EDIT:
This one!

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 30, 2020

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, the treatment for leprosy predates thomas covenant by a few years. so even the central premise of the series was always bullshit.

poo poo, I was thinking that but kept forgetting to look up when leprosy was cured vs the books age

Maybe its biblical leprosy, where they just called any gross skin disease leprosy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is definitely a derail, but who wants to know what actually happened to lepers in actual medieval Europe??

quote:

Before the leper is committed to the enclosure, his isolation is sanctified by a special church ritual. The unfortunate victim is brought to the tribunal of the diocesan official and examined by surgeons. The “separation” is pronounced the following Sunday. The unhappy man, dressed in a shroud, is carried to the church on a litter by four priests singing the psalm, “Libera me.” Inside the church the litter is set down at a safe distance from the congregation. The service of the dead is read. Then, again singing the psalm, the clergy carry the leper out of the church, through the streets, out of town, to the leper colony. He is given a pair of castanets, a pair of gloves, and a bread basket. After the singing of the “De profundis” the priest intones, “Sis mortuus mundo, vivens iterum Deo” (Be thou dead to this world, living again to God), concluding, “I forbid you ever to enter a church or a monastery, a mill, a bakery, a market, or any place where there is an assemblage of people. I forbid you to quit your house without your leper’s costume and castanets. I forbid you to bathe yourself or your possessions in stream or fountain or spring. I forbid you to have commerce with any woman except her whom you have married in the Holy Church. I forbid you if anyone speaks to you on the road to answer till you have placed yourself below the wind.” Then everyone leaves the poor victim condemned to a living death.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Let me introduce you to the millions of gigs of space taken up on Amazon's servers under the aegis of self publishing

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does it predate the publishing date or when the author started writing it.

Cause if I'd written a book hinging on a disease that got cured while I was writing it, I'd probably just go "oh this was before the cure".

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

A Sometimes Food posted:

Does it predate the publishing date or when the author started writing it.

Cause if I'd written a book hinging on a disease that got cured while I was writing it, I'd probably just go "oh this was before the cure".

Finally just googled it: there was effective treatment by the 1940s, the author was born in 1947, so yes there was a cure before the books were written

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bismuth posted:

Finally just googled it: there was effective treatment by the 1940s, the author was born in 1947, so yes there was a cure before the books were written

I'm pretty sure he worked or lived outside the US at a leaper colony, and experienced first hand how people were treated, which is the reason he wanted to try and make a fantasy hero based on one. I think it was in the author's forward.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Comstar posted:

I'm pretty sure he worked or lived outside the US at a leaper colony, and experienced first hand how people were treated, which is the reason he wanted to try and make a fantasy hero based on one. I think it was in the author's forward.

"Fantasy hero" that rapes and then spends several books suffering more and more outlandish and contrived consequences for that rape

e: not that there shouldnt be consequences, but maybe more normal/solid ones than the uh...weird poo poo that happens in the books

Also that
vvvv

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 30, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe he shouldn't have made his hero into an american white dude who would have had access to a cure, then.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is Terry Brooks' "Wordcount of Shannara" series. I know I read at least one of those things, but don't remember anything more than it was really long and generally boring.

I read at least one and I remember only that one of the main characters was named Alanon, which I found really distracting. My Dragonlance buddy really liked those, too.

I have a vague memory that this is addressed in text... there's some hand-wave like cell phones not working in horror movies?

ok, I looked it up: he just didn't discover it right away, and when he got diagnosed his wife wigged out and fled with their kid. it was cured, but not before he lost two fingers.

someone recommended those books to me and I could not get past that scene. or rather, the next scene, where her mother symbolically stabs the earth, since she can't kill the chosen one, even though she really wants to and the law allows it

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bismuth posted:

To be clear, in the books he has been treated for leprosy, so he isn't completely an invalid or anything, but he lost a lot of the sensation in his extremities and it didn't come back. He's a bitter man though, and he blames the leprosy for his marriage falling apart and some of the locals inexplicably torment him over it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Philthy posted:

I read the first one about a year ago and what blew my mind is that he thought of all of this in the 1940s. Today everything has copied a lot of it, so it really wasn't anything new. But back then it had to be like.. holy fuckballs crazy awesome. It was a bit boring, so I never made it to the second or third. I guess I can appreciate the ground work Asimov laid with it.

His Robot series was more insightful, almost on par with Arthur C Clarke. Then when you find it crossing over with Foundation books, whoo boy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zeniel posted:

The loving Zybourne Clock map is better than the Gor map!

The Gor map looks like a map of a circuit

E:

I was watching some thing on ytube and apparently theres an immensely influential self publishing hub in Japan thats responsible for 90 percent of fantasy anime adoptions.

Learn some Kanji people

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 30, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zeniel posted:

Unsure about books, but you've basically described most of the Might and Magic RPG games. The Phantasy Star series to a lesser extent too, it's a little more explicitly known about in that setting.

Nope that's exactly it. It was the game, not a book.

Does Empress Theresa count for this thread?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Has anyone read the Coldfire Trilogy? It wasn't amazing, but it did have some things I did like. The planet the series takes place* in has some quirk where a person's mental state/thoughts affect the outcome of things, so things like firearms are super risky to use because even thinking about the possibility of a misfire can make one happen. In one of the books, the main character comes across a group of people so indoctrinated by a church to believe that their god protects them, that they can fire guns because they have absolute faith that nothing wrong will happen.

You didn’t mention the anti-hero protagonist being an anime nobleman vampire

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

stinky ox posted:

This thread brought back memories of a very peculiar scifi/fantasy novel I read when I was in my early teens. I used to get armfuls of scifi books from my local library, of all kinds of quality, some good, some not so good, and this one was... surprising, to say the least.

The premise was that it was post-apocalyptic times and humanity had divided into two different societies according to sex. The males lived in a technological enclave of some sort and only interacted with women in order to use them for breeding. The women... well this is where it got weird.

The women didn't need the men to procreate in their own society because they had been genetically altered so they could somehow clone themselves. However in order to initiate the cloning process they had to use... horse semen. And, well, not to go into detail but let's just say they didn't use artificial insemination methods.

Suffice to say this was somewhat surprising in literature that had just come from a local library and presented as just another scifi/fantasy novel, the last thing I expected was, well, that. Thinking about it many years later it seemed so unlikely that I even wondered if somehow I'd imagined it and it never really happened.

Upon reading this thread I thought I'd try searching to see if I could find any record of such a book. As you can imagine I had to choose my search terms pretty drat carefully so as not to end up on some kind of a watchlist, but eventually I found it. The book was real.

"Motherlines", by Suzy McKee Charnas. From the first GoodReads review:

"These Riding Women take her into their community and nurse her so that her child is born healthy. They are the descendants of women who were genetically engineered to have a double set of DNA in their ova, for reasons that don't entirely make sense, but possibly were intended to create a set of well understood experimental subjects with little genetic drift. The scientists who worked on their development ensured that they can conceive - parthenogenesis, found in nature in species such as the aphid - by their ova being triggered into dividing and eventually becoming clones of themselves. Implausibly, those scientists ensured this could be done only in the presence of horse semen".

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/517322.Motherlines

Xanth and Pern are awful, surely. But this must surely rank amongst the worst for including actual horse loving in its feminist dystopia.

That sounds like quite a book.

This quote from one of the longer reviews seems pretty informative:

quote:

If cannabalism and sex with horses is how to save the human race, maybe it's better to let humans die. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed.... and to think that the author of this book thinks she's a feminist...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Are horses oppressing anyone in this wild scenario?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Colonel Cancer posted:

Are horses oppressing anyone in this wild scenario?

Oppressing this rear end

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I think so, and maybe the ship minds had actually been humans at one point who had their consciousness transplanted into ships? I feel like whatever the actual story was has to be at least twice as bonkers as what I'm remembering.
They're super physically disabled humans that were put in life support balls as children and trained to operate machines through the connection, then once they were adults and the training were done they had decades of indenture servitude to work off the cost of all the life support and training. Most of them were born physically disabled to the point the justification is they'd have a low quality of life otherwise, at least one was paralyzed as a child due to exposure to an unknown pathogen brought in from an alien environment by her xenoarcheologist parents, and I think it's mentioned the transition was especially rough for her bc she was old enough to remember before that. I think she eventually saves up enough money after paying off her debts to have a surrogate body made that her mind can uplink to but that transmit feeling back to her? But the body can't leave her ship body or it runs out of power.

I'm going to admit I sort of liked the premise but because it's hosed up, like, these kids get put into balls and trained to operate ships from the age where they're too young to enter into any sort of contract, if this is the best treatment they have for their conditions it should be covered under that, and then as adults they should be, idk, taking work contracts but not have it be indentured servitude at any point, just 'if you want a super cool ship body you're going to have to do an actual job that goes along with that'. The story of the books themselves ranged from mediocre to batshit insane gross, sometimes in the same book.

EDIT: Like the one I remember most is about a shipmind named Simon who really liked playing battlefield strategy sims and who discovered a scrawny orphan stowed away in him that he adopts, which is cute and unironically not at all weird. He runs a space station? But then the book goes into, okay, so the space station is attacked by brutal transhuman warriors from a colony that started as a prison colony on an almost uninhabitable hellworld who take over the space station and rape people, and Simon has to use ~~strategy~~ to deal with them while being limited in what he can do because he is the station but he doesn't exactly have like, internal guns. It was just a lot of weird sexualized violence and also a feeling of, so why did this happen in the first place? Who decided it was a good idea to dump people on a hellworld as punishment? Doesn't that just punish their innocent children? Yes, yes it does.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 31, 2020

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Piers Anthony would often put extremely self-aware afterwords in many of his books, where he would openly call himself and his readers pervs. He wanted Xanth to be four books long. By like, book 12 he was wroting things like "imagine you find an aging circus lion amd you nurse it back to health, only to discover that it would only eat puns, and so you're stuck at a typewriter writing puns non-stop to feed this lion that you just can't let die because then you killed this weak lion that needs you to survive"

Another was a recounting of a letter from a fam telling him how her young daughter was hit by a drunk driver and paraplegized. To bring life to her, she would read her the Xanth books. He eventually wrote her into the novels to do something nice for the child, but his first response on reading the letter was "Oh my GOD...people are reading my books to kids!?!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

yeah, sure. it's called litrpg/gamelit. sell them through KU and you can make an absolute killing, providing you're willing to write... well, browse some of the sample chapters on amazon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Inverted Icon posted:

Piers Anthony would often put extremely self-aware afterwords in many of his books, where he would openly call himself and his readers pervs. He wanted Xanth to be four books long. By like, book 12 he was wroting things like "imagine you find an aging circus lion amd you nurse it back to health, only to discover that it would only eat puns, and so you're stuck at a typewriter writing puns non-stop to feed this lion that you just can't let die because then you killed this weak lion that needs you to survive"

Another was a recounting of a letter from a fam telling him how her young daughter was hit by a drunk driver and paraplegized. To bring life to her, she would read her the Xanth books. He eventually wrote her into the novels to do something nice for the child, but his first response on reading the letter was "Oh my GOD...people are reading my books to kids!?!

That's how Jenny the Elf was created wasn't it?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Imagine being that teenager that ran away from home in order to go live with Piers Anthony. That has got to be the most embarrassing poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inverted Icon posted:

"imagine you find an aging circus lion amd you nurse it back to health, only to discover that it would only eat puns, and so you're stuck at a typewriter writing puns non-stop to feed this lion that you just can't let die because then you killed this weak lion that needs you to survive"

...that's literally the plot of a Xanth book, isn't it?

Also I feel like all the stuff with Piers Anthony and kids gets real goddamn unfortunate when you read some of his non-Xanth stuff and put together that he's at the bare minimum a hardcore apologist for pedophiles, if not straight-up a pedophile himself

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Also I feel like all the stuff with Piers Anthony and kids gets real goddamn unfortunate when you read some of his non-Xanth stuff and put together that he's at the bare minimum a hardcore apologist for pedophiles, if not straight-up a pedophile himself
Right, like, I feel like at best he explored stuff through fiction he knew better than to touch irl, which makes it really unfortunate that the Xanth books were pretty attractive to me as a young teen bc of all the dumb bullshit puns.

I liked the one where the dude goes into the magic tapestry and explores a historical snapshot, but there was a tiny spider on the tapestry, so it's a huge spider in the virtual world, and he's friends with the huge spider.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PetraCore posted:

Right, like, I feel like at best he explored stuff through fiction he knew better than to touch irl, which makes it really unfortunate that the Xanth books were pretty attractive to me as a young teen bc of all the dumb bullshit puns.

I liked the one where the dude goes into the magic tapestry and explores a historical snapshot, but there was a tiny spider on the tapestry, so it's a huge spider in the virtual world, and he's friends with the huge spider.

Iirc in the Let's Read thread in the book barn, that's like... the only book that had a positive response .

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The word "Pern" makes me feel super uncomfortable, and I don't know why. Like the sound itself is really unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I see you've read The Isle of Women too.