Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

So can those soldiers understand her or not? Sword guy speaks English at the end, but everyone else is speaking <>. Can't blame them for not surrendering if they don't know that's what you are offering.

Pretty much every non-american understand english to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Phy posted:

Oh hey I thought I recognized that art style. Livio Ramondelli has an... idiosyncratic way with his lineart, but I always liked his coloring.

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #34

So, status quo has reasserted itself? Or is that not Megatron?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hulk Smash! posted:

To be fair, according to the Marvel handbook, every non-powered person in the Marvel universe is listed as Olympic-level athlete, expert hand to hand combatant, and/or having 3 PhD's.
I think that's an exaggeration.

I mean, Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau, I'll grant you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So, status quo has reasserted itself? Or is that not Megatron?

Robots in Disguise was part of IDW's old TF continuity, although that is Galvatron (who was distinct from Megatron in that series).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CzarChasm posted:

So can those soldiers understand her or not? Sword guy speaks English at the end, but everyone else is speaking <>. Can't blame them for not surrendering if they don't know that's what you are offering.

Kitty can speak fluent Russian because (iirc) Xavier instantaneously psychics the language into her brain when young, pre-demon-abduction Illyana is living at the mansion. He does it so that Kitty can look after Illyana, because she's just a little kid who can only speak Russian at the time.

I'm not sure if Xavier ever does that again? Being able to instantly, permanently teach someone a foreign language would be insanely useful.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Wait, is that the same sword? Because I am loving the overall outfit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's intended to be the same sword. Pirate Kate is the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Kitty can speak fluent Russian because (iirc) Xavier instantaneously psychics the language into her brain when young, pre-demon-abduction Illyana is living at the mansion. He does it so that Kitty can look after Illyana, because she's just a little kid who can only speak Russian at the time.

I'm not sure if Xavier ever does that again? Being able to instantly, permanently teach someone a foreign language would be insanely useful.

They do it with the Krakoan language for sure

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Professor Xavier's 5-minute language course for the ultra-rich is how he could fund that school.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Dave Mazucchelli will absolutely draw Kingpin putting somebody's face on backwards.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

habeasdorkus posted:

Wait, is that the same sword? Because I am loving the overall outfit.

this slaps extremely slappily

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everyone should be reading Marauders it owns.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Red Bones posted:

He teaches Cyclops Chinese in Morrison's run, but they reference the fact that it slowly wears off

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dawgstar posted:

Man, Dave Mazucchelli will absolutely draw Kingpin putting somebody's face on backwards.

Such a good page.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Red Bones posted:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to psychic English into Illyana’s brain so she can talk to everyone there?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Retro Futurist posted:

He teaches Cyclops Chinese in Morrison's run, but they reference the fact that it slowly wears off

I mean that's an actual property of languages in the real world. Like, anyone who's learned a foreign language will tell you that disuse destroys fluency faster than anything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to psychic English into Illyana’s brain so she can talk to everyone there?

that would immediately remove the uniqueness of her only speaking russian and turn her into just another of the students, although yes it would :airquote: make more sense :airquote:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Flesh Forge posted:

that would immediately remove the uniqueness of her only speaking russian and turn her into just another of the students, although yes it would :airquote: make more sense :airquote:

I didn't realise this until I read the old claremont stuff earlier this year but at that point in the story Kitty is literally the only student in the entire mansion. Illyana isn't even a student, she's just being babysat iirc. It's just Kitty and the (entirely adult) team of X-men. For ages there's no students at all, then there's Kitty, and then a while after that the new mutants show up and the school has a grand total of about eight children studying there. I stopped reading before the story hit the big student body of mutants status quo that they have in the movies, so I have no idea when that actually shows up.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Every week Xavier changes the language spoken throughout the entire school to amuse himself. Nobody has noticed yet. Right now they're all speaking Flemish.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rhaka posted:

Every week Xavier changes the language spoken throughout the entire school to amuse himself. Nobody has noticed yet. Right now they're all speaking Flemish.

Don’t be absurd! Nobody speaks Flemish, it’s just an ongoing practical joke on the French

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhaka posted:

That would actually be a good way to keep people's psychic language engrams up.

It is a little funny how the school angle just totally disappears. I think before they get Kitty on board, the youngest X-Man is Piotr? And while he was, what, 16? 17? he was always presented as an X-Man(tm, c) full fledged, not the junior sidekick... helped of course that he was the size of a horse.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I didn't realise this until I read the old claremont stuff earlier this year but at that point in the story Kitty is literally the only student in the entire mansion. Illyana isn't even a student, she's just being babysat iirc. It's just Kitty and the (entirely adult) team of X-men. For ages there's no students at all, then there's Kitty, and then a while after that the new mutants show up and the school has a grand total of about eight children studying there. I stopped reading before the story hit the big student body of mutants status quo that they have in the movies, so I have no idea when that actually shows up.

Huh, I guess I am mixing it up with my memory of early New Mutants, I do remember when Illyana was introduced and you're right there weren't a bunch of other young characters around :confused:

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

Don’t be absurd! Nobody speaks Flemish, it’s just an ongoing practical joke on the French

As a native Dutch speaker, agreed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He does that eventually, after her trip to Belasco's lair and the subsequent age-up. I remember there's a Claremont/Cockrum issue at some point where she's having lunch with Xavier and says, "So, weird thing, I speak English now?" and he says he beamed it into her brain while she was asleep.

Before she spent all that time in Limbo, Illyana was a really little kid, so that might have had something to do with it.

No joke, Xavier's psychic instant-expert language courses are one of the major super-powers I would absolutely want to have.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Emma Frost was language-dumping into everyone's brains a few times - I want to say once was one of the African adventures versus Doctor Crocodile or whatever that dictator's name was.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I seem to recall that in Giant Size X-men #1, when we first assemble the new team, one of the narration boxes was "After a 5 minute crash course in English". Maybe that's short hand for getting Russian, German, English, and whatever language Storm spoke working together through mind whammy.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

If we'd like to get some good old Sapir-Whorf hypothesis up in this, how badly are the psychics messing up people with their language implants?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They're psychics, you should always assume they're messing up people whenever they do anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CzarChasm posted:

I seem to recall that in Giant Size X-men #1, when we first assemble the new team, one of the narration boxes was "After a 5 minute crash course in English". Maybe that's short hand for getting Russian, German, English, and whatever language Storm spoke working together through mind whammy.
Wasn't Storm born in New York?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Storm born in New York?

She was specifically raised in Egypt I believe, at least for most of her time in the comics. Maybe they changed it at some point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

seaborgium posted:

She was specifically raised in Egypt I believe, at least for most of her time in the comics. Maybe they changed it at some point.

Storm's history's always been basically 'born in New York, raised in Egypt' if it helps. I think her dad was American and her mom Kenyan.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dawgstar posted:

Storm's history's always been basically 'born in New York, raised in Egypt' if it helps. I think her dad was American and her mom Kenyan.

Wow so reverse Obama.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Dawgstar posted:

Ahh, ok. All I ever remembered was that she was a street urchin in Cairo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

seaborgium posted:

Ahh, ok. All I ever remembered was that she was a street urchin in Cairo.

Understandable. That's what gets the most play, aside from the 'worshiped as a goddess' thing (which gets a lot less now).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only time I remember seeing the whole American part of her heritage played up was back in the XMEN Evolution cartoon in the early 2000s. She had a half sister who had a mutant kid who was the cool skateboarding dude invented for the show.

Spyke never really took off though and got written out after a few seasons to become a Morlock.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Reginald Hudlin also introduced her paternal grandparents and cousin, who I don't think have appeared at all outside of his Black Panther. Her grandparents are actually kinda cool; they're introduced beating the poo poo out of a HYDRA goon squad with a frying pan and rifle.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

iirc her backstory in the Claremont run is that her parents moved the family to Egypt when she was a baby, and then they got killed in the Suez Crisis when their apartment got hit by a missile or had a plane crash into it or something. I think it was the Suez Crisis, at least.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That would be about right for the early run.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I read a bunch of it earlier this year and the way you could really tell the period it was made in was really entertaining. The first time they fight Proteus he's possessing his own father, so the entire fight is with this middle aged guy with big 70's hair and a huge cardigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Monstress #3