Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Can't see this ending well...

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1299914423117778944?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So looks like an activist was just shot and killed in Portland. More info pending, but, real sad news

e;
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1299924635643854849?s=20

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 30, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

M_Gargantua posted:

So looks like an activist was just shot and killed in Portland. More info pending, but, real sad news

https://twitter.com/pdxalerts/status/1299922444866580480

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess this was always inevitable and it was just a matter of when and where exactly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

well it happened two days ago

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fallom posted:

well it happened two days ago

Look at this guy postin from 31st of August!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Civil war, starring the civilians this time

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

NYT says

quote:

The man who was shot and killed was wearing a hat with the insignia of Patriot Prayer, a far-right group based in Portland that has clashed with protesters in the past.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I don't really want to post the video, but there's pretty solid video of the incident, though not great. It seems like there was a hissing noise right before the two shots were fired, like Chuddy McDead might've been trying to mace/pepper-spray the shooter. It was a split-second before the shots were fired though, so it could also be nothing.

Chuddy McDead definitely had some tacticool gear on, so if he was going for pepper spray or some poo poo, shooter could've panicked and went for a gun.

Again, all of the above is near-speculation - poo poo's real weird right now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Photo I saw: cw for dead guy legs I guess, nothing gory though

https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/status/1299946554435010560?s=20

His dropleg mag pouch has a thin blue line patch in that tweet

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/zerosum24/status/1299938822915006464

vid of the dude aggressively walking towards white sweatshirt guy, starts spraying mace and then takes 2 in the chest.

this is the guy who got killed:

https://twitter.com/HodgepodgePDX/status/1299902740898824193?s=20

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Well poo poo. Glad you weren't the one, Mr Nice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress around and found out.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
These motherfuckers act like Weather Underground never happened.

I will not cheer for open season against chuds. But these dumb fucks asked for this.

For loving decades, Conservatives high off of Limbaughs emasculation of Liberals and Reagan tall tales, walked around with their chest poked out, swinging their dick around thinking they were the toughest Tony's on the Block. Thinking that the entirety of Left Wing politics was Ineffectual Hippies and Spineless Career Shills like Pelosi, Clinton(s), Biden, Schumer. Armed with a idiotic voting base of at least 30% of Americans and the power to use the Cops, Military, and their love of guns to project fear, they thought no one WOULD ever challenge them and in turn they refused to compromise or even listen to outside perspectives.

Well this is what loving happens when you never listened, used violence, fear and intimidation to put down unrest and let the middle class die, to spite minorities.

A new generation has the internet. They see Liberalism is ineffectual. They feel they have nothing to live for, but the fight for inequality. They will not back down to the threatening and Fascist behavior of Conservative Politics, but will meet that poo poo with equal force.

TO paraphrase young thug "they kill forreal"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
They're straight-up war-wagoning this poo poo, Jesus Christ. Macing and pepperballing crowds from the beds of pick-up trucks. The only way this would be more ironic is if they were riding in Toyotas.

https://twitter.com/Kansacrats/status/1299972573996908546

What even was the cause for this dumb "Trump motorcade"? Chud counter-protest or something?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dickwaving. They wanted to scare the durn commie red LIEberals into submission.

Turns out that the side that actually has empathy for their fellow humans has had enough.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Knives Amilli posted:

I will not cheer for open season against chuds. But these dumb fucks asked for this.

the narratives we dream and believe do have a tendency to become reality given the chance, for we often live our lives as if they were true, and well, outside the realm of the impossible we can and do reap what we sow

the soviets, after all, long believed their state on the path towards falling apart. in many ways it was, but for a while, that was but a dream; it wasn't something anyone could actualize; it was ludicrous to believe that could be reality

i do wonder what we americans have been dreaming sometimes, it seems not quite the same. the soviets at least mostly joked about their demise--it was all that was allowed, the serious official narrative was at just boring. we don't have an official narrative per se, but for many we do have a de facto official narrative, and it is neither boring nor joking

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Patriot Prayer is the same group that set up a sniping position in downtown Portland a few years ago during some anti-fascist protests. Their members are serious and this is something that won’t go unanswered.

The trend has been there for a long time, but I feel like in the past few weeks, the country has taken the on ramp to a highway that leads to a place we don’t want to go, and I don’t see any way that we’re going to collectively make the decision to exit. The violent right is going to poo poo itself if Biden gets elected and probably stage more “defensive” rallies; if Trump wins then they’ll probably start hunting leftists because they think they’ll have impunity.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Patriot Prayer is the group that gets demonstrations in Boston a couple times a year. Each one is some kind of "protect the flag" or "1st amendment" rally and it seems they just show up for people to doxx counter protestors / try to get counterprotestors to get in trouble. They also were behind the group / pushing money into the "Straight Pride Parade" in Boston last year.

Important to mention that for each of these events thousands and thousands of dollars of police overtime is paid out by the taxpayers.

E: Also, really glad you are OK Mr. Nice!

I can't believe that guy waved his gun at the cops and got to just walk away.

That Works fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 30, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pulled up the booking report. He was not arrested........

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That sucks, man. Could there be some lag in the system to reflect that this happened over the weekend? Did the cops tell you he would be charged with aggravated assault?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That sucks, man. Could there be some lag in the system to reflect that this happened over the weekend? Did the cops tell you he would be charged with aggravated assault?

No there is no lagging. I'm looking at the attorney system that I would need to use as a defense attorney for first appearance this morning. I'm not looking at public information.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stay safe, man. Keep you and yours close and do whatever you need to.

We're here for you. Everyone on these forums.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pulled up the booking report. He was not arrested........

Is there any way you can press charges or something that would force the issue? Would it be worth the effort at all?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Throw up the video on Facebook. Police departments page, city hall page, mayor's page, tv stations.

Pigs won't do poo poo unless they are forced to.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

not caring here posted:

Throw up the video on Facebook. Police departments page, city hall page, mayor's page, tv stations.

Pigs won't do poo poo unless they are forced to.

run their faces in it

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kazinsal posted:

Dickwaving. They wanted to scare the durn commie red LIEberals into submission.

Turns out that the side that actually has empathy for their fellow humans has had enough.

I've read enough poo poo from arfcom, free republic, Zyklon Ben, and other far right nuts over the last decade (thanks to SA). They have been told for decades that a Democratic government is an existential threat to liberty via FEMA death camps and New World Order UN stormtroopers, but the average Democratic voter is a limp-wristed soy boy who will literally shake and piss himself at the sight of a manly man with a gun. So with a Republican manly man controlling the government, they feel free to strap on their arsenals and wander into left wing protests because there won't be a real threat and if anyone throws a bottle it's open season. They've been fantasizing about going into cities and having open season on hippies and "urban ferals" for decades and they think it's their chance now. The Kenosha Kid was explicitly doing this and assumed that the cops would be on his side. We'll see if the jury is. They are probably right that the cops and might be right that the juries will support them. They didn't count on left wing protesters being armed and using the same reasoning about shooting first. After Kyle Rittenhouse's actions, armed left wing protesters are going to be a lot more jumpy and shoot a lot faster rather than risk being gunned down by militia nuts.

It's gonna escalate.

Remember: "Boogaloo bois" ultimately refers to a second civil war (or, as their fathers would have called it, RaHoWa) so these people are going to want to escalate it.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Yeah, this is a real bad pattern. I have a hard time seeing Patriot Prayer not responding, and that means we’re probably going to jump into the death squads part of the script. Things are escalating a lot faster than people thought they would, and the DC foreign assistance/stabilization crew that I know are universally freaked out. If this was happening in Kenya we’d be pushing for elite intervention already.

No joke, it’s time to start planning for how to keep safe and keep things calm in your community.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Notahippie posted:

No joke, it’s time to start planning for how to keep safe and keep things calm in your community.
This. If the country keeps going down this path, it's really important to remember just how well-armed right-wing assholes are. I know some posters on SA are into accelerationism and believe the militia nuts are all cowards, but that just means they'll aim to pull the trigger on soft targets.

The accelerationists are having fantasies of us-vs-them, head-on urban combat, but poo poo's going to devolve first into pop-up pogroms and terrorist attacks if we don't find an offramp.

We must try to find that off-ramp, but it would need cooperation from the GOP and right-wing media and I'm worried that just won't be forthcoming.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's fine, none of us grow food, so we'll likely succumb to starvation first.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, if I'm gonna be a cowardly chud piece of poo poo with a bunch of guns, I'm now gonna avoid going head to head, and I'm gonna go for softer and softer targets. And I'm gonna stay more mobile and slightly more armored in my lifted silverado because unless it's less than 62 degrees out my fat diabetic rear end turns into protected wetlands, so I need that air conditioning and mountain dew ready.

It's also harder to throw my face up on twitter when I'm doing a drive by on a bunch of unarmed people with t shirt slogans that make me fear for my life.

Why no, I don't think I'm a terrorist, why do you ask.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
My mom was a prepper he whole life until she died a few years ago. The whole time my dad tolerated and made fun of it, and told-you-so'd her every time what she was worried about didn't happen. He's now fully onboard the "oh poo poo, Civil War 2 inbound" train is and prepping himself. He's a borderline chud though, and seems to think it's going to be some sort of coastal cities vs the countryside thing. I'm having having a hard time convincing him that it would be less "US Civil War 2.0" and more Balkans war, complete with roving death squads from both sides.

I think a lot of people on the right have some sort of fantasy in their heads where a US civil war these days would be contained to shooting mostly unarmed black people and "antifa" in cities. They think there will be clear battle lines, and anyone who doesn't want to be involved won't be dragged into it. I worry that seeing one side seeing it as something fun and easily won will make them rush into it, ironically the same way the South rushed to war the first time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have an old uncle from Ireland who was constantly posting leftist memes and liking my posts til about a year ago. Wonder if this is why

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh I bet he'd really like the one where the dog puts on a balaclava

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Arven posted:

They think there will be clear battle lines, and anyone who doesn't want to be involved won't be dragged into it.

Even if this remains a statistically rare occurrence that’s the part that is just tragic for the every-person.

It can happen anywhere, for no great reason, and put bystanders in the ground. And that kind of fear and anxiety doesn’t tend to lead to the best reaponse. (See: school shooting responses and active shooters)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All of the videos are spreading around on facebook and other social media. I also have my former firebrand defense attorney boss working with civil rights attorneys because I'm not the only one who has been victimized at protests and ignored by police. I'm making a big loving deal about this and pursuing justice. I will most likely have to file for a restraining order against him to get his weapons taken away.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Good luck man!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mr. Nice! posted:

All of the videos are spreading around on facebook and other social media. I also have my former firebrand defense attorney boss working with civil rights attorneys because I'm not the only one who has been victimized at protests and ignored by police. I'm making a big loving deal about this and pursuing justice. I will most likely have to file for a restraining order against him to get his weapons taken away.

Username/post combo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Handsome Ralph posted:

The gently caress I did. If you don't want to engage with my argument, no skin off my back, but don't pretend I'm the one who came in and made the initial argument about Obama and LeBron betraying BLM/the movement.

Also funny enough, I've been outside and I've been in downtown DC for some of the protests, spoiler, twitter and the forums ain't real life.

The argument you made was that cross-racial solidarity makes you feel bad, and that Obama makes black people feel good. This was your response to others saying that voting booths won't help stop white supremacist violence. You're consistently talking about feelings, presentation, marketing, approval ratings...in short, celebrity. Things you can appreciate but accept as being out of your hands, except that you can argue over their interpretation. You're living in a world of dreams and punching at shadows while people are being starved, evicted, and killed.

Even if I granted the ludicrous premise that voting is the proper and primary way of building power, something worth trading away the most high-profile strike in our lifetime for a miniscule boost to, anyone in this thread could, in a week of volunteering, net more votes for the candidates of their choice in November than they've ever placed personally in their life. It isn't hard, even when you're as dumb as I am. Your individual vote is nothing to waste time being proud of, other people's individual vote is nothing to waste time badgering them over.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Arven posted:

My mom was a prepper he whole life until she died a few years ago. The whole time my dad tolerated and made fun of it, and told-you-so'd her every time what she was worried about didn't happen. He's now fully onboard the "oh poo poo, Civil War 2 inbound" train is and prepping himself. He's a borderline chud though, and seems to think it's going to be some sort of coastal cities vs the countryside thing. I'm having having a hard time convincing him that it would be less "US Civil War 2.0" and more Balkans war, complete with roving death squads from both sides.

I think a lot of people on the right have some sort of fantasy in their heads where a US civil war these days would be contained to shooting mostly unarmed black people and "antifa" in cities. They think there will be clear battle lines, and anyone who doesn't want to be involved won't be dragged into it. I worry that seeing one side seeing it as something fun and easily won will make them rush into it, ironically the same way the South rushed to war the first time.

I think that they're correct that only one side is armed and organized. I'd go further and say, it's also the only side with political representation.

My dad was in Chile in and around their 9/11, and is convinced that's the road we're going down: unarmed leftists found dead in the street as a warning, armed leftists getting an industrial military response they have no way of standing in the face of.