Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I agree that something felt like it was cut out to refocus the story here and there, but overall I enjoyed it. I kinda wish we had a Station cameo there was probably enough wacky poo poo going on already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So if we're still playing by the rules of the first two films, does that mean that hipster/rich/convict Bill and Ted were just putting on an act for the sake of getting them to MP46?

Also, saying "Preston and Logan" made it way too obvious that the daughters would be doing the song, and that was already obvious enough from the trailers! They should have stuck with saying "Bill and Ted" since those qualify as the daughters' nicknames anyway.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

19 o'clock posted:

This was a lot more fun than I anticipated. Genuine laughs at a lot of the character bits and interactions. Dennis was a pleasant surprise.

On Dennis and Bill and Ted: I guess Dennis represents the two things chasing Bill and Ted. He's the insecurity that they're not actually good enough, and they don't have it in them. And he's a cop, representing Ted's dad and thus the threat from the previous movies of having to give up music and each other and their general ethic of the good excellent.

Like a lot in this movie, the character makes just enough sense to fit in with how the movie goes.

zer0spunk posted:

- the dead horse kid cudi joke was cringe but will also date the hell out of this. it's like if the OG movie used some popular hair band in 89 among the historical figures..why? was cudi a producer or something??

Kid Cudi: He's not one of the greats, he just randomly gets deposited in San Dimas because time is collapsing and sticks around because he seems to understand the quantum time stuff. He doesn't have to be one of the greats to participate, and save the world.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 30, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kid Cudi actually is one of the all time greats and this movie is weirdly prescient for being able to identify that.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Given we've known about the basic premise they were going with for years before this came out, I really have to wonder if the trouble wasn't just "they saw a potential turd and didn't wanna be in the smell zone."
More or less Keanu being paired off with someone who hasn't been prominent in front of a camera for over 20 years in a movie that isn't an adaptation of a comic book. I'm shocked they were able to find any money outside of kickstarter to make this.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Bust Rodd posted:

Kid Cudi actually is one of the all time greats and this movie is weirdly prescient for being able to identify that.

I mean he is the Man on the Moon.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Argue posted:

So if we're still playing by the rules of the first two films, does that mean that hipster/rich/convict Bill and Ted were just putting on an act for the sake of getting them to MP46?

Yeah, how did they go from washed up/squatters/convicts to actually having the song? I seem to have missed that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

G-III posted:

More or less Keanu being paired off with someone who hasn't been prominent in front of a camera for over 20 years in a movie that isn't an adaptation of a comic book. I'm shocked they were able to find any money outside of kickstarter to make this.

It sucks that the movie doesn’t get a shot with an actual theatrical release. We don’t really get movies like this anymore if there’s not a chance for them to make a billion globally.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bust Rodd posted:

Plus Bogus Journey had Jim Martin show up which in retrospect is pretty funny since he ended up a pumpkin farmer

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus Bogus Journey had Jim Martin show up which in retrospect is pretty funny since he ended up a pumpkin farmer
And Joan of Arc in the first movie was in The Go-Gos.

EDIT: Oh, and those futuristic council people in Excellent Adventure were real-life musicians, too.
And Primus was in Bogus Journey.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 30, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Mozart, hendrix, Louie Armstrong.. Kid Cudi.

There's 100 other producers I'd choose before him personally, but that's just me (rza, premier, El p, hell even Timbaland before Cudi)

He's fine but "one of the greats" is stretching it and that same joke throughout the movie with him got no love from me. Felt forced

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kid Cudi is one of the best rappers of all time, he basically pioneered “sad rap”, which spawned multiple sub genres and inspired literally hundreds of artists.

It’s wild to refer to him as a “producer”, imo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And Cudi isn’t exactly new at comedy, he’s a known person for that kind of stuff. It amazes me how many people are like ‘I’m nearly 40 how am I supposed to know who this is’ when it’s like, the guy is about our age and became huge in 2009.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EL BROMANCE posted:

And Cudi isn’t exactly new at comedy, he’s a known person for that kind of stuff. It amazes me how many people are like ‘I’m nearly 40 how am I supposed to know who this is’ when it’s like, the guy is about our age and became huge in 2009.
I first got to know him as the replacement band leader for Comedy Bang Bang after Reggie Watts.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

And Joan of Arc in the first movie was in The Go-Gos.

EDIT: Oh, and those futuristic council people in Excellent Adventure were real-life musicians, too.
And Primus was in Bogus Journey.

and Taj Mahal played St. Peter

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm 29 and I don't know who he is.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

Kid Cudi is one of the best rappers of all time, he basically pioneered “sad rap”, which spawned multiple sub genres and inspired literally hundreds of artists.

It’s wild to refer to him as a “producer”, imo

I was gonna say one hit wonder, because the only song I've heard from him was day 'n' night.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Mantis42 posted:

I'm 29 and I don't know who he is.

Lmao listen to more rap

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I'm 31 and I only know him from Day and Night. My wife thought his name was David Cudi because I guess she thought Memories was made by one person. That said, I rolled my eyes when he showed up because I thought he was just there to exist like the bag of flaming hot cheetos but he justified his role pretty well for me and I thought he did a good job

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Kid Cudi isn’t exactly the biggest name ever, but it seems like anyone who even pays a little bit of attention to rap would know who he is. He’s been doing more acting too so he’s not that weird of a choice really.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao listen to more rap

No

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think kid Cudi was any more out of place than the faith no more guy in bogus Journey. Meaning, not at all out of place.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

drat what a self own

I’m 32 and I’ve been listening to Kid Cudi for like 12 years

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also it's not like Kid Cudi is portrayed like he's super important. He gets the quantum stuff but isn't very helpful when Bill and Ted ask if anyone knows where MP24 is. He's just a random funny inclusion.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Codependent Poster posted:

Also it's not like Kid Cudi is portrayed like he's super important. He gets the quantum stuff but isn't very helpful when Bill and Ted ask if anyone knows where MP24 is. He's just a random funny inclusion.
Yeah, I figured it was a joke like the Harlem Globetrotters in Futurama where's they're all actually super-smart astrophysicists.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

His status as a musician literally doesn't matter anyway, b/c like another poster already pointed out, he was just deposited on their doorstep due to time being out of whack. It's not like the girls went to find him for the band lmao and iirc he doesn't even participate in it anyway.

It was a fun joke.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Bust Rodd posted:

drat what a self own

I’m 32 and I’ve been listening to Kid Cudi for like 12 years

drat you seem cool as hell

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cudi shows up on everything, first time I came across him was on Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, which was ten drat years ago (loving hell I’m getting old). In fact I guess the joke is “oh hey of course Cudi’s here, Cudi is always everywhere, no wonder he knows quantum theory like the back of his hand

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I thought the main joke with the daughters' plotline would be that after they met Hendrix, he said no and they decided they needed someone who inspired him, then they'd go back to talk to Louis Armstrong and he'd ALSO say no unless they had someone he was inspired by, etc, etc. So they'd keep going back to just a little bit earlier in musical history over and over. Then there would be a quick montage of them finally grabbing/convincing someone from long long ago and bringing them forward, grabbing the next guy, bringing them forward, and on and on as they went forward through time in reverse order and finally got Hendrix. I did like that they used footage of the future to encourage Louis Armstrong. Seeing how humanity evolves musically is something that I'm sure any musician would be interested to know.

Generally I liked it but didn't love it. I think if this movie came out in a normal year I'd be less forgiving of it, but this pandemic and society really made the nostalgia of the whole thing feel much more welcome. The lows of the film were not so much boring as they were just a bit too cliche, but the highs were pretty high. The part that for me felt the most like old school Bill and Ted is when they were escaping from themselves and had to find a way that the future versions of themselves wouldn't be able to chase them. That was the type of "brilliant stupidity" that the entire series was built on. I also really appreciated the duet between Mozart and Hendrix, it was probably my favorite time travel vignette besides the point where they go into the future in the first movie.

I feel like the end could have hit better if there was a little more of a backstory setup with a focus on the daughters and how they spent time just listening to literally everything music-wise in order to help their fathers. There was a little of that, where after the wedding they were shown to be big fans of their fathers' music and later had a detailed understanding of Death's solo career, but I think they should have leaned on it a bit more and had them just know all there is to know about music. Make Bill and Ted feel guilty that their daughters have spent their entire life engrossed in music from every background and culture in what appeared to be an attempt to support their fathers' destiny, but then as the emotional payoff of the plotline have the daughters explain that this isn't something that was keeping them from being their own selves, but rather who they wanted to be deep down and that they love music. Basically make it so that for Bill and Ted, who used to love music, their destiny became this cloud hanging over them that they had to make the perfect song but for their daughters it was truly a passion and the thing that bonded them.

Then, when the "universe saving song" is cobbled together by musicians from throughout time near the end it can be more of the accomplishment of the entire historical music of humanity, driven and directed by the daughters' love for humanity's musical achievements and how music is a universal constant across cultures of all kinds. I guess that while I felt the sentiment of "humanity's music is what saved us" is nice, it kind of felt rushed and unearned with Bill and Ted somehow giving everyone throughout history instruments all at the same time being a little bit weak of a conclusion.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would have rather it be the timeline collapsing in on itself as the only element that allowed all of humanity to witness the accomplishment and ubiquitousness of music throughout all time periods and cultures rather than the writers feeling like they needed to find an arbitrary way for all of humanity to actively participate.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 31, 2020

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

just realized this film ends with bill & ted implementing their version of the human instrumentality project.

10/10 film

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I still kind of wish Ringo Starr would have stepped in as Rufus' brother or something instead of the daughter. The Shining Time Station continuity for one, and also you could have had a funny scene when they cut to "London, 1967". When I saw that, I totally thought the daughters had come to recruit The Beatles. Hendrix was a welcome surprise. Imagine Ringo stepping out of the phone booth and being like "Was there good music being made in London in 1967?" As far as the ending, I think it would have been easier to have Bill and Ted travel to every era with speakers for a broadcast of the final song - if Rufus' daughter can still use her cell phone to call home from hell, I'm sure that would have been possible. Movie was inoffensive and whoever said it reminded them of the Netflix Pee Wee movie was spot-on.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I loved the poignant little moment when old bill tells current bill he was sorry for all the times he let him down. You never have, bill :unsmith:

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

just realized this film ends with bill & ted implementing their version of the human instrumentality project.

10/10 film

Yeah this movie gets better with subsequent watches. The scene of them meeting themselves in the rest home and finally achieving their destiny gets me misty eyed.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

10/10 film

Play the song Bill & Ted, or 95 year old Bill & Ted will have to play it again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I loved the poignant little moment when old bill tells current bill he was sorry for all the times he let him down. You never have, bill :unsmith:

That whole part managed to be touching and hilarious at the same time.

I liked this flick a lot overall. I also liked how the daughters go further and further back in time to get a musician the last one they saw would respect a lot because you have the dads and the daughters each going to the future and the past respectively to find answers when them together in the present was the answer. :unsmith:

It really did feel like some stuff was cut though, not that I think Bill+Ted needs to be a three hour epic or something but this was definitely a movie made in 2020 where no one's allowed to just, like, exist and hang out for a little bit.

I was so happy to see Death again too. Like Bill and Ted literally confront their old, dying selves, then make their peace with death, then embrace encouraging their daughters, and I liked how the dad was worked into the story too with that. He comes off like an rear end in a top hat at the beginning of the movie, but he turns out to be correct, that Bill+Ted have to get over their own personal obsession with their destiny and be role models for their daughters and guide them, but not in the way he expected. That stuff was handled really well and consistently throughout the movie which makes the nitpicks stand out more I guess.

As for Dennis, I liked the implication from Rufus' daughter and the robot's own insecurities that them making a time travelling killbot is a very unusual thing for them to do. And while his bit did get old after a bit all the short "oh nos" facial reactions and deliveries from him were great throughout. I dug it. The first time he introduces himself in full was good.

There was no way this movie was going to be as good as Bogus Journey but I'm really happy with what we got.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

lol at anyone overanalyzing this or complaining they break the own rules they establish when that's the entire point: It's all incredibly tenuous, and the idea of a couple aging 80s classic rock dads having to come up with a rock song that will unite the world in 2020 is on its face ridiculous.

They probably cast Kid Cudi because he was the one with acting experience who was most willing to do it at the best rate, and he's genuinely got a few funny moments. Whether that will age the movie or not, who cares, enjoy it now and worry about how it's held up in 10 years.

I want to come to this film's defense because I think it's something rare these days: A film that is wholly uncynical, just a pure, joyous romp that takes a cliched "Everyone just needs to come together to save the world" plot and delivers it with the utmost earnestness. It's genuinely funny, the actors are all having a blast, it brings in stuff from the previous films and actually builds on it rather than just being a fan servicey rehash. It's a lovely, quick little romp. I saw it at a Drive-In last night and that itself was just a real pleasure but I can see myself just throwing this on whenever the same way I would with Excellent Adventure or Bogus Journey.

Also, for people sad there was no Station -- Isn't the implication that Kid Cudi is Station? He yells "Station!" at the end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TrixRabbi posted:

Also, for people sad there was no Station -- Isn't the implication that Kid Cudi is Station? He yells "Station!" at the end.

I saw an interview with the director on Collider that was a post-watch one with spoilers, and they bring up that happening but don’t seem to make any allusion to Cudi actually being station, so perhaps just a reference. Altho maybe the writers will be like... no he totally is!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

TrixRabbi posted:

A film that is wholly uncynical, just a pure, joyous romp

:hmmyes:

Agree, movie was fun and wholesome. Good to see movies like this still being made

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The past decade there's been this trend of comedies, particularly reboots, having to be self-aware and show how in on the joke they are. Or let you know that they're cool by rejecting sincerity and infusing ironic detachment. I'm thinking of poo poo like the end of Gore Verbinski's The Lone Ranger, when Armie Hammer does a triumphant "Hi Ho, Silver!" only for a cut to Johnny Depp's Tonto saying "Never do that again." Like, why can't something just be hokey and sincere and fun?

Bill & Ted was always in on the joke, but the joke was never "this is dumb and we're above it." It was "this is dumb and that's beautiful." That's exactly what I got from Face the Music, down to the totally fun and joyous final concert sequence. It's funny and self aware without ever feeling self-conscious about itself or feeling the need to nudge the audience.

And then the little things that could feel fan servicey, like Rufus' hologram showing up actually felt earned. Like it was a sincere tribute to George Carlin and honestly made me a little wistful when it happened. Same at the end of the movie when Bill and Ted realize Preston/Logan refers to their daughters, not them. It's a twist I saw coming from the first 10 minutes of the movie and yet it really delivered on the moment, in all of Bill & Ted's sweet innocence, and again it just was perfectly heartwarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Argue posted:

Also, saying "Preston and Logan" made it way too obvious that the daughters would be doing the song, and that was already obvious enough from the trailers! They should have stuck with saying "Bill and Ted" since those qualify as the daughters' nicknames anyway.

They said a song 'written by' preston and logan. The music was still played by Bill & Ted as part of the band Wyld Stallyns as seen with their triumphant guitar solo at the end. So both are true. Preston and Logan wrote and composed the song and the music of Wyld Stallyns united the world just as Rufus prophesized in the first movie. The daughters didn't 'do' the song so much as they played a part, just like everyone.