Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Zesty posted:

How do you use :v: ? It's always felt like punctuation for saying really obvious thing. Not necessarily :haw: which is more punctuation for telling a stupid joke.

Usually I use :v: to say I'm not being serious, or that the words I'm saying aren't that big of a deal, like when pointing out an obvious but largely inconsequential mistake or oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Zesty posted:

How do you use :v: ? It's always felt like punctuation for saying really obvious thing. Not necessarily :haw: which is more punctuation for telling a stupid joke.

:haw: is dad jokes, :v: is pretending to be stupid/terrible.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I always saw it as like this

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

:amen:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

:dadjoke: :confused:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I always think :dadjoke: is Jared the Subway pedo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, I always pictured it as more of a stupid grin, 'soyface' is the slack-jawed expression of obviously fake excitement almost always surrounded by a pubey beard.

still kind of amazed that channers decided to make smiling a bad thing and it stuck

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Always use :v: when quoting Crow T. Robot.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
"You know you want me, Baby!" :v:

Huh, it works.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What's up with all the retro scifi avatars?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Kennel posted:

What's up with all the retro scifi avatars?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It's from sold old pulp art that one of the CSPAM mods, Squizzle, found and uploaded and gave a ton of people cool pulp art avatar. There's a ton of them aroudn.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wasn't :v: the original :awesome:? In which case the original usage was everywhere in place of punctuation always, up until you got banned or it was replaced with :awesome:

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

zedprime posted:

Wasn't :v: the original :awesome:? In which case the original usage was everywhere in place of punctuation always, up until you got banned or it was replaced with :awesome:

you're thinking of :razz:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

The original awesome was the emote that is now :imunfunny:. And yeah, it was everywhere, until the admins started loving with it

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It was also changed to :iama[gayslur]: rather than what it is now.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this is gonna sound odd, but i’m not from any of the anglophones, so hear me out.

what on earth does that “showing your whole rear end” thing that people love shouting at each other in QCS these past few months mean? at first I thought it was something like looking like an idiot, like the trousers fell down or something, but then there’s the “whole” bit, which makes me think it’s looking like an idiot on purpose? but this gets thrown around in arguments, so then I get kinda confused

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

ulvir posted:

this is gonna sound odd, but i’m not from any of the anglophones, so hear me out.

what on earth does that “showing your whole rear end” thing that people love shouting at each other in QCS these past few months mean? at first I thought it was something like looking like an idiot, like the trousers fell down or something, but then there’s the “whole” bit, which makes me think it’s looking like an idiot on purpose? but this gets thrown around in arguments, so then I get kinda confused

Not anglophone either, but from context I think your first idea is the most accurate one. The "whole" bit seems to me like it's for emphasis, like saying "you looked like an irredemable idiot back there and there's no way to hide it". But, again, grain of salt and all that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"You unnecessarily insisted on revealing yourself as an idiot."

It has to be a sustained or repeated act, not a one-time thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The “whole rear end” part is also a play on “rear end hole”

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jiru posted:

Not anglophone either, but from context I think your first idea is the most accurate one. The "whole" bit seems to me like it's for emphasis, like saying "you looked like an irredemable idiot back there and there's no way to hide it". But, again, grain of salt and all that.

As a native English speaker this is how I interpret it.

It's an unusual way to phrase things and the use of "whole" makes it both sound awkward and serve as an intensifier for how big of a gently caress up the person was being.

Doc Hawkins posted:

"You unnecessarily insisted on revealing yourself as an idiot."

It has to be a sustained or repeated act, not a one-time thing.

Yeah this too, it's revealing of a long-term but usually hidden character trait

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I never liked “showed your whole rear end” because it sounds too much like mooning, which has a completely different meaning to showing an rear end :butt:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As a native English speaker let me assure the non-native English speakers itt that it's super weird for us too, we're just rolling with it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My guess: whole rear end = complete jackass

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It's not necessarily a new thing, when i was a kid in the 80's my grandfather would yell at me for "showing your (my) rear end" any time i threw a fit or whatever.

Also there was that song a few years back which had the line they can eat my whole rear end / more specifically they can eat my rear end hole

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

titties posted:

It's not necessarily a new thing, when i was a kid in the 80's my grandfather would yell at me for "showing your (my) rear end" any time i threw a fit or whatever.

Also there was that song a few years back which had the line they can eat my whole rear end / more specifically they can eat my rear end hole

It's Kanye and kiss not eat

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well in that case I'm not after the rear end.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I always took it to mean you aren’t hiding whatever version of gently caress up you’re being at the time at all.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Another non-smilie post: I was away from this site for a while and now people use the term "calm hitler" a lot, often as a verb. what's that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ty friend!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ulvir posted:

this question's partly been answered, but I wanted to include an image of "showing your partial rear end" as a counterpoint to just having your pants fall entirely down:

you can see how it would be just a little embarrassing vs. a lot embarrassing

(sadly em-bare-rear end-ing is not the actual etymology for embarrassing)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m going to have to start using “showing your partial rear end” as a warning to people on the brink of shaming themselves

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Warning: rear end visibility levels approaching critical!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Len posted:

It's Kanye and kiss not eat

Well it's better my way

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, the classic construction worker's cleavage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowy posted:

I’m going to have to start using “showing your partial rear end” as a warning to people on the brink of shaming themselves

Danger! Partial buttcrack in progress!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ah, the classic construction worker's cleavage.

https://youtu.be/8TX_wUhvH5M

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What is the origin of the :rip: smiley? I mean the meaning is obvious but where does the art come from? Some old game?

edit: searched better and found it

Pastry of the Year posted:

Wizardry for the Apple II.

my kinda ape has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Sep 19, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, huh. I always picture it as some Oregon Trail or other. :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"peperony and chease" serves the same purpose as "F" for memers of a certain age