Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

IG-88 posted:

That looks way better than the last Yoda.

Also, Target shipped my Bespin set. Let's gooooooooo

:same:

I have the Razor Crest coming next week as well. Though I am slightly tempted by the 40th Anniversary AT-AT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lego shipped my bespin set this morning!

I hope the razor crest set name change doesn’t slow down the release.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 29, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I found some of my rather old mocs kickin' around the internet so I thought it might be fun to look at some of 'em again! It's a big nostalgia hit for me, anyway.

2003 (14 years old) and earlier:

this one was kinda neat 'cause it had hidden hatches on the top and bottom for more weaponry:

2005 (16 years old):

2006 (17 years old):

[1st dark age here]

2009 (20 years old):

And then in 2010 I started this thread!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
THOROUGHLY unimpressed with Lego Boost

There is little to no explanation what the various «programming blocks» do (i believe the programming methodology it is similar to scratch)
There are multiple blocks we havent been able to get any respnse from, we have no idea how to use them.

Theres a small pause between each step/block so if you e.g tell the robot to move forward using 2 forward-blocks there is a noticeable pause between each step.

My dauhter and i build/play with boost for at most an hour in the evenings, after her brother is asleep. We have done this for maybe 6-7 evenings. In this timespan we have gone through an entire box of AAA batteries (24) and some additional ones and have maybe used the powered on boost for an hour in total. It seems to stay active after you stop using the device and there is no way to turn it off

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Invest in rechargeable batteries.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes, absolutely pick up some Eneloops, they are expensive but it's basically a one-time purchase and they hold a charge so well that I have been using mine for A DECADE and they still retain a significant charge. I swap them in and out of my wireless mouse and they last about 2-3 days, when I get the 10% power notification, I just pop it out, put it in the charger, take the one I had in the charger and put it in the line of charged ones, and take the oldest-charge one from the line and put it in the mouse. I have a box of AA's that are expiring in a couple years because I never need to use them. Eneloops rule and will save you so much money on batteries it's nuts, they even have spacers that let them be used as C and D batteries.

I've had mine so long I didn't realize there's apparently a new "Eneloop Pro" type, that I assume is more efficient.

here's a case that comes with a variety of stuff for a decent price. looks like a lot, but like, you will barely ever need to use regular batteries again, sooooo
https://www.amazon.com/Eneloop-Pana...ctronics&sr=1-5

there's also this one that has a bundle that comes with a shitload of AAA's if that's what you mainly need:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK...ics&sr=1-5&th=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 29, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't even know how long I've had my fuckin eneloops I think my oldest 4 or so are probably like 20 years old?? The oldest ones just go in my remotes and last FOREVER still.

Building the AT-AT right now and it's good as hell. I'm sure I'll be mad when I get to the legs but there's some cool techniques in the body so far, I'm finishing the main paneling and probably the head is next if I had to guess.

I was wrong the legs are next :mad:

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 29, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not that long, they have only been on the market for 15 years but they are absolutely the best and hold a charge forever.

Get a decent charger as well and you are almost set for life. I used them in my camera, RC car, alarm clock, remotes and everything else that needs a battery and they last forever.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Eneloops are great. There used to be some deals on newegg for Fujitsu rechargeables which I feel are just as good but they seem harder to find for a good price these days.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ineptitude posted:

THOROUGHLY unimpressed with Lego Boost

There is little to no explanation what the various «programming blocks» do (i believe the programming methodology it is similar to scratch)
There are multiple blocks we havent been able to get any respnse from, we have no idea how to use them.

Theres a small pause between each step/block so if you e.g tell the robot to move forward using 2 forward-blocks there is a noticeable pause between each step.

My dauhter and i build/play with boost for at most an hour in the evenings, after her brother is asleep. We have done this for maybe 6-7 evenings. In this timespan we have gone through an entire box of AAA batteries (24) and some additional ones and have maybe used the powered on boost for an hour in total. It seems to stay active after you stop using the device and there is no way to turn it off
Oof.

That execute block pause execute block behavior is endemic to Block-Based-Coding stuff. It shows up in the various educational programming apps based on scratch as well. On the upside it really encouraged my kiddo to learn Golang so that her non-lego projects would move smoothly, but it's still disappointing to have it confirmed.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
N’thing Eneloops! The pros are worth the extra cash... I don’t know how they got a NiMH battery to be so good, but they did! Also invest in a legit battery charger, that’ll help them live longer.

Carbohydrates posted:

I found some of my rather old mocs kickin' around the internet so I thought it might be fun to look at some of 'em again! It's a big nostalgia hit for me, anyway.

drat these are good! I especially love the vintage furniture and houses, would 100% buy them as a modular! I also love the telephone pieces as the front forks of the motorcycle and revolvers as handlebars, that’s really clever. I’d love to buy instructions for that vintage truck and car if you ever get around to putting it up on rebrickable... that’s so far away from anything else I’ve seen, I love it!

I think 2003 was when I mostly stopped building with legos... I know my lego magazine subscription ran out maybe a year before that. That WWII fighter plane is fantastic, some of the brick placement looks way ahead of its time :)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks for the eneloop suggestion. I am sure they are great but the point here was how the Boost consumes battery at an absurd pace, to the point where i think something is wrong with the product. How does those 2 small motors and some sort of color/distance sensor use 36 AAA batteries in about an hour?
The batteries have all been fully charged (1,4V) and were depleted (0,7-0,9V) according to my multimeter

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Lego is really stupid about having some huge element like NXT, Duplo train, and Boost but only using AAAs in it.
For the price they should really come with a lithium battery built in but if not they should really be able to take AAs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think the old system’s rechargeable battery box was lithium ion, maybe they’ll do that again eventually

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks for the eneloop suggestion. I am sure they are great but the point here was how the Boost consumes battery at an absurd pace, to the point where i think something is wrong with the product. How does those 2 small motors and some sort of color/distance sensor use 36 AAA batteries in about an hour?
The batteries have all been fully charged (1,4V) and were depleted (0,7-0,9V) according to my multimeter
that seems really odd, is anyone else reporting this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There are now 30 sets in the next Ideas 2020 review period. :stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So are they going to raise the goal to 20k or something. This is a bit excessive.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

That Schitt’s creek set might be the least likeliest set to be produced in the history of Ideas. Some of those ideas are pretty neat, like the windmill, fast food, the bonsai, Hocus pocus, and the pirate sets. I think the bonsai or the doggo will be the most likely to be made.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Man I'd love some Avatar sets but that Appa looks extremely not right. I guess it's cashing in on the series' recent popularity but I'd hope we can do better.

Digging this though:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ideas-sheriffs-safe-with-combination-lock-achieves-10000-supporters/

A working safe

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ideas-the-mountain-windmill-achieves-10000-supporters/

This ghibli windmill also owns and doesn't seem quite as impractically huge as most of the other scene-style sets are

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
For personal reasons, I'd love to see the Discworld made.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Goddamn, a fantasy windmill set isn’t something I knew I needed before now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really like that Doggo set and a couple others, but man it really seems like “giant modular-style building” has got to be the next thing Ideas outlaws for submission. A lot of those submitted look really cool but have basically no chance of being made and they encroach on a subtheme Lego already produces.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Holy poo poo that windmill would be a day 1 buy for me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VaultAggie posted:

That Schitt’s creek set might be the least likeliest set to be produced in the history of Ideas.
Ultimate Collectors Edition Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you don't want to wait for eneloops the ikea lithium batteries are pretty good too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah seconding IKEA rechargeables. I have those and a La Crosse charger, both are a pro choice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like the panasonic charger. It charges batteries individually and gives the status of each one. Unlike another charger I had where batteries had to be charged in pairs (gently caress anything that uses 3 batteries I guess) and just gave a generic countdown until all the batteries were charged.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

For personal reasons, I'd love to see the Discworld made.

Same, I like it, but the Hub seems a little too small, that can be fixed though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Same, I like it, but the Hub seems a little too small, that can be fixed though.

Just a little taller would be nice, but as you say, that can be fixed. They already turned one Discworld down back in... christ, 2013?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Koramei posted:

Man I'd love some Avatar sets but that Appa looks extremely not right. I guess it's cashing in on the series' recent popularity but I'd hope we can do better.

Digging this though:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ideas-sheriffs-safe-with-combination-lock-achieves-10000-supporters/

A working safe

That candle is pretty inspired. It's 546 pieces but I don't know if I'd want to spend more than $30 or $35 for it unless they did more with it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My SEC mecha don’t ever get much traction here but that’s ok... I still post ‘em!

From instructions from some dude what calls himself Messymaru.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Shame they're not yet aggregated anywhere with thumbnails so we can quickly glance at the lot of 'em side-by-side.

So I'll do that!

31 Minutos T.V. Studio

Animal Crossing New Horizons: Nook's Cranny

The Bakery

BMW M1 (E26)

Brickwest Studios

Caribbean Clipper

Community - Greendale Community College

Exploratorium

Fast Food Corner

The Fortress - Imperial Army

Gold Rush Mine Train Roller Coaster

Hocus Pocus - Sanderson Sisters' Cottage

House from Up

LEGO Doggo

Lego HeroQuest

The Mountain Windmill

Night At The Museum

The Ocean House

Portal 2 - GLaDOS vs Chell and Wheatley

Schitt's Creek: The Rosebud Motel

Seagull Bay Lighthouse Imperial Fortress

Seasons In Time: Calendar

Sheriff's Safe with Combination Lock

Southwest 737-800

Temple of Hermit

Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Trabant 601

Vincent van Gogh: The Starry Night

Zen Bonsai

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Shame they're not yet aggregated anywhere with thumbnails so we can quickly glance at the lot of 'em side-by-side.

So I'll do that!

Thanks!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

So I'll do that!

If only I had scrolled a few more posts, lol... thanks!

My top 3 picks:

Calendar
Mountain Windmill
Seagull Bay

.... also Starry Night as my fourth top 3 pick.

I would also hella buy the community set, but it’s kinda lame compared to the rest. I can only imagine how fast Nook’s cranny would fly off the shelves, and probably (re)introduce new people to lego. The schooner is cool too. Portal set could be so much better, not hugely interested in that rendition

I need to maybe start watching schitts creek at season two or something, I couldn’t get past the first few episodes.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 31, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Starry Night looks like a bad time of a build. All those layers of blue don’t look fun at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The trabant is an excellent build, the windshield is kinda janky but that's normal for all the big scale cars.

The 737 is excellent too but who gives a gently caress about southwest? I guess the blue looks nice but I wouldn't want it on my shelf.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Windmill. Then A big gap, then goldrush. Then calendar.

After that there’s a couple almost that someone else will like and jam into their top 3, then there’s a big band of “ok I guess” then finally more than the usual “why waste an ideas set on this?”.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really like the M1 but that clearly encroaches on the creator/speed champions lines.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Just finished the big Mustang. Wow, what a fun build! :allears: Now to figure out this lighting kit for it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I like the Pirates themed ones, but do we really need another Pirates throwback already? Barracuda Bay is not even six months old.

Other than that the Mountain Windmill is awesome but everything else is pretty meh to me.