Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blight owns if only for the exchange he has when he demands that Terry tell him who he is. Terry responds that he killed his father . Blight responds with:

Do you have the slightest idea how little that narrows it down?!

Blight is just a pure corporate scumbag through and through and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

TwoPair posted:

Hey, he's just keeping up the time honored Bat-tradition of "well I guess that's technically not killing but goddamn" takedowns

Old Bruce didn’t even pretend to give a gently caress. He won’t use a gun but you can bet he’ll watch you die.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Old Bruce owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t7yiN_Z5eg

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is the new superman movie supposed to be a new animated universe launch or just its own thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kingtheninja posted:

Is the new superman movie supposed to be a new animated universe launch or just its own thing?

I think they've specifically said it's not a new animated universe launch and is it's own thing.

So if it's popular it's absolutely going to be the launch of a new animated universe.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRATvE-gXo

Although being reminded of the Ra's episode just reminds me how DCAU Bruce's life is utter misery. Talia being bodyjacked by Ra's is just one more awful thing to befall a man whose entire life was a parade of awful things.

Blockhouse posted:

The secret of Batman Beyond is that it's basically a Spider-Man cartoon

Hell Shriek is basically what if Shocker looked like an Apple device

A long time ago I was big into comic book nerd poo poo like who could beat who and I made a video compilation of all of Terry's "feats."

There's a scene where he is pinned under this giant object...I forget what it was but he does like a push up and gets it off him. Somebody said this scene was a direct ripoff of Spiderman, mainly due to the object being identical to a scene with Spidey. Can't say how true this is but I wouldn't be surprised.

Spacebump posted:

I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a comic book continuation of a tv show. They always fall flat for me.

When I watched The Batman I heard a lot of good things about its comic.

Gave us more Poison Ivy and I loved The Batman's Poison Ivy. Totally underrated.

Big titted bombshell is all well and good but how about a geeky eco terrorist friend of Batgirl? And then it had Goth Riddler.

To be blunt, I remember The Batman's villains far more fondly than Batman Beyond's with the exception of Inque.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a scene where he is pinned under this giant object...I forget what it was but he does like a push up and gets it off him. Somebody said this scene was a direct ripoff of Spiderman, mainly due to the object being identical to a scene with Spidey. Can't say how true this is but I wouldn't be surprised.

It almost certainly is, but it's more homage than ripoff. Every single person the writers/storyboard artists considered a peer would have recognized it immediately.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
spider-man lifting the rubble is one of the most iconic comic book panels of all time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Considering there was a group of villains that was just the fantastic four it undoubtedly was a homage.
That one panel and sequence of spidey lifting all that poo poo is fantastic, and it was finally referenced in Homecoming

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It almost certainly is, but it's more homage than ripoff. Every single person the writers/storyboard artists considered a peer would have recognized it immediately.

Fair enough. Poor choice of words on my part.

I love BB, wasn't trying to poo poo on it or anything. Return of the Joker is the best Batman film ever.

In fact, all the best Batman films are animated - ROTJ and Under the Red Hood are so great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

drrockso20 posted:

I love Batman Beyond, but I will admit I despise that it's the canon future for the DCAU
Yeah, it's very depressing. The evil corporations have taken over and your heroes have had their brains replaced by a vampire squid. I wonder what that would feel like in real life.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron posted:

Considering there was a group of villains that was just the fantastic four it undoubtedly was a homage.
That one panel and sequence of spidey lifting all that poo poo is fantastic, and it was finally referenced in Homecoming

Referenced but it's tough to really do it justice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRATvE-gXo

Although being reminded of the Ra's episode just reminds me how DCAU Bruce's life is utter misery. Talia being bodyjacked by Ra's is just one more awful thing to befall a man whose entire life was a parade of awful things.

A long time ago I was big into comic book nerd poo poo like who could beat who and I made a video compilation of all of Terry's "feats."

When I watched The Batman I heard a lot of good things about its comic.

Gave us more Poison Ivy and I loved The Batman's Poison Ivy. Totally underrated.

Big titted bombshell is all well and good but how about a geeky eco terrorist friend of Batgirl? And then it had Goth Riddler.

To be blunt, I remember The Batman's villains far more fondly than Batman Beyond's with the exception of Inque.

The Batman is a pretty good show that got a really raw deal for a.) Not being BTAS/more DCAU, and b.) Having some really out there character designs. I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I'd be willing the bet the Venn diagram of "people who call it poo poo" and "people who looked at the Joker design and never actually watched an episode" has a not-insignificant overlap.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe one day I'll give The Batman a good watch. I think one of the issues I had with it was just how after the DCAU had run its course, I was older and not as interested in cartoons at that time. Which is a pretty common thing for successor shows in a franchise. I don't particular remember having much against it aside from the grammar of the title and not liking its version of the Joker, which I feel like Joker in general is overrated sometimes.

It kinda reminds me of how Beware the Batman was really poorly received because of being such a departure from its amazing predecessor show. I was more ready to like it because I was more open then, and I still appreciate how it really shrunk the scale of things.

NikkolasKing posted:

I tend to like stories of heroes who have to deal with a lot of hurdles and troubles, but it often rings hollow when people do it with Batman because even if one story tries to make him hit rock bottom, so much about Batman is an empowerment fantasy. He's always the "ultimate detective" as well as being one of the greatest fighters on the planet and filthy stinkin' rich. He very much lives the life he wants to.

So then Batman Beyond has Terry having to push his limits and try as hard as possible while also managing his normal life like early Spiderman did, while Bruce Wayne is a bitter old man whose body is failing and just hates how the world has passed him by. It's so much more of a dramatic story right off the bat. Bruce Wayne still doesn't have any real regrets aside from the passage of time though (which is why most of the time in comics he's an ageless revenant, his will to live the life he wants overpowering everything else in the world he exists in).

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, it's very depressing. The evil corporations have taken over and your heroes have had their brains replaced by a vampire squid. I wonder what that would feel like in real life.

Welcome to the present.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TwoPair posted:

The Batman is a pretty good show that got a really raw deal for a.) Not being BTAS/more DCAU, and b.) Having some really out there character designs. I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I'd be willing the bet the Venn diagram of "people who call it poo poo" and "people who looked at the Joker design and never actually watched an episode" has a not-insignificant overlap.

Yeah, I really liked The Batman. It was definitely going for its own style, and while I wouldn't want Penguin throwing down normally, it works there. That Joker design was, and sometimes I think might still be, one of my favourites. Of course, I hadn't seen much other Batman stuff at the time, I wasn't allowed to watch BTAS when it was running (my mum had a thing against guns, so it was right out).

I only saw the first episode of Beware the Batman, and it looked interesting but I never got a chance to see anything past that. Don't have cable, I think someone put the episode up on like... dailymotion or something like that and I saw that entirely by chance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beware the Batman was pretty good, all things considered. Making Katana Batman's partner was an interesting choice. And like good interesting, not eyebrow raised over my monocle interesting.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SlothfulCobra posted:

So then Batman Beyond has Terry having to push his limits and try as hard as possible while also managing his normal life like early Spiderman did, while Bruce Wayne is a bitter old man whose body is failing and just hates how the world has passed him by. It's so much more of a dramatic story right off the bat. Bruce Wayne still doesn't have any real regrets aside from the passage of time though (which is why most of the time in comics he's an ageless revenant, his will to live the life he wants overpowering everything else in the world he exists in).

This reminded me about how in the comics Batman invented a Batman Reincarnation Machine that would overwrite the memories of someone with Bruce Wayne memories so that they had the trauma necessary to continue fighting his forever war against crime. I think DCAU did it way better by showing that a Bruce Wayne who's never willing to let go of being Batman or doing things his way is a miserable piece of poo poo. I remember there being one or two scenes where characters call him out on not moving on and in the Talia episode he reminisces about the women who passed through his life (including Barbara ew!)

I actually liked what Beware the Batman was doing, but I think it suffered from being an early CGI show so Gotham felt really empty and the action was kind of floaty. Primo theme song though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's not an "early CGI" thing, Beware the Batman came out like 5 years after Star Wars Clone Wars. That's a "CGI is extremely expensive and requires a very high up-front cost" thing. If you wanna do a smaller budget smaller scale show, or even just do a smaller budget thing up front to see if there's an audience for it, it's gonna wind up with very empty environments.

It did a fun kind of stylization to try to hide it, but that didn't quite work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bruce Wayne still doesn't have any real regrets aside from the passage of time though (which is why most of the time in comics he's an ageless revenant, his will to live the life he wants overpowering everything else in the world he exists in).

He regrets driving his surviving friends and family away, but his relationship with Terry makes him start to mend those fences, which is cute.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The bit about Terry being born from nanoengineered Bruce sperm was pretty stupid, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bruce repairing his relationship with Barbara in Batman Beyond both makes me want to know what happened with Dick Grayson and afraid to find out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Skwirl posted:

Bruce repairing his relationship with Barbara in Batman Beyond both makes me want to know what happened with Dick Grayson and afraid to find out.

If there is ever an animated continuation, I hope it ignores all the comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The bit about Terry being born from nanoengineered Bruce sperm was pretty stupid, though.

I don't consider one drat thing that happened after the show ended to be canon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Skwirl posted:

Welll, I mean, they cover it in the comics and it's not great
Well, Dick and Barbara get back together, then she sleeps with Bruce again and gets pregnant with his batbaby. Dick finds out, goes I hate you both, and yeah....

The comics are bad

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Calaveron posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man referenced it first, I think.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People also thought it might have been a reference when he stops the falling warehouse wall from crushing him and MJ and then throws it off at the end of the Dr. Octopus fight in Spider-Man 2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

People also thought it might have been a reference when he stops the falling warehouse wall from crushing him and MJ and then throws it off at the end of the Dr. Octopus fight in Spider-Man 2.

I mean it very obviously was.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Batman got progressively better as it went on and it was never bad. The later episodes with Robin and then eventually the Justice League are pretty entertaining.

drrockso20 posted:

I love Batman Beyond, but I will admit I despise that it's the canon future for the DCAU

Yeah, this is where I land. I like Batman Beyond a lot, but boy is it a bleak conclusion for that universe. For nearly everyone at that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When they started it they didn't expect the DCAU to be a thing. We can just write it off as a possible future since they say as much in JLU.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

The Batman got progressively better as it went on and it was never bad. The later episodes with Robin and then eventually the Justice League are pretty entertaining.

Yeah, this is where I land. I like Batman Beyond a lot, but boy is it a bleak conclusion for that universe. For nearly everyone at that.

It's not a conclusion because the DCAU kept on going for 5 years after Batman Beyond ended. Generally what happens in these comicbook futures is that they fork off into alternate dimensions anyways. Didn't they also try making that future Justice League cartoon fit in with the DCAU?

Although honestly it's not that bleak of a future. It's fairly light on depressing cyberpunk stuff, and the most depressing part of the setting is Bruce Wayne, after being a reclusive loner not fully committing to relationships for years and years is now a reclusive lonely old man. Depressing, but understandable. It's not as brutal as Spiderman 2099.

Might be neat though to see somebody imagine a happy future for Batman though, where he doesn't mess up and alienate everybody so as his body or mind start to fail with age he gets a whole family to keep him company and continue his work as the seeds he planted bear fruit. That's not the type of story people want to tell for Batman though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's funny that the current DC universe is so close to progressing the characters by promoting the Bruce and Selina wedding and that Bruce might be ready to stop, and then stop before that happens and then kill Alfred.

They already had a replacement Batman with Dick that everyone loved, and the dynamic with him and Damian as Robin was incredible. But of course you gotta stop all character growth and walk all that back so characters never really grow.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not a conclusion because the DCAU kept on going for 5 years after Batman Beyond ended. Generally what happens in these comicbook futures is that they fork off into alternate dimensions anyways. Didn't they also try making that future Justice League cartoon fit in with the DCAU?

Although honestly it's not that bleak of a future. It's fairly light on depressing cyberpunk stuff, and the most depressing part of the setting is Bruce Wayne, after being a reclusive loner not fully committing to relationships for years and years is now a reclusive lonely old man. Depressing, but understandable. It's not as brutal as Spiderman 2099.

Might be neat though to see somebody imagine a happy future for Batman though, where he doesn't mess up and alienate everybody so as his body or mind start to fail with age he gets a whole family to keep him company and continue his work as the seeds he planted bear fruit. That's not the type of story people want to tell for Batman though.

Chronologically it is the conclusion. The most depressing part being Bruce Wayne is my point since the show is called Batman. But to be honest, it's not like Tim, Dick, or Barbara make it out well either. Babs does the best and she's a cop.

Whether or not Beyond is just an "alternate" future or not is sorta irrelevant to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's an episode of The Brave and The Bold where Damian Wayne is Bruce and Selina Kyle's kid. Of course they get murdered in that, but I think they were happy before then, having retired and Dick Grayson taking over the Batman mantle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean a lot of superheroes died.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I mean a lot of superheroes died.

Did they? Just going off the continuity of the tv shows and ignoring the comic books I mean, I'm sure there's a three issue arc explaining in extreme detail how Kyle Rayner and John Stewart were tortured over several days before being disemboweled or whatever, but the show didn't give a lot of details on most of the rest of the superhero community.

Superman was apparently mind controlled by Starro for a chunk of time, but Starro apparently spent most of his time doing normal Superman things so no one could tell, so while it sucks for Superman it didn't really impact the amount of effort Superman put into saving the world.

gently caress, now I want to know what happened to Lois Lane, and am again terrified to find out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alfred's definitely dead, but outside of that, it's ambiguous.

Presumably some are dead because it's a risky job and the passage of time will consume us all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the last couple of episodes of JLU give a pretty good reason why the Justice League would wind down from it's height of having dozens of members to the rather pathetic state it's in by Beyond's time, most of the world's super villains are dead, so I imagine most of the League had retired by the time the Return of The Joker flashback scenes happened, let alone by Bruce's retirement as Batman about a decade or so later(especially since most of the League's funding probably vanished when Bruce quit being a member)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Probably the biggest inconsistency from JLU and Batman Beyond is when Superman says Bruce Wayne was only ever a part timer.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I always just assumed a lotta heroes weren't in Batman's orbit anymore so we never saw them. Like Old Static probably does his own thing in Dakota.

Superman's fate was definitely bleak as hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Probably the biggest inconsistency from JLU and Batman Beyond is when Superman says Bruce Wayne was only ever a part timer.

Batman himself was always claiming that poo poo though whenever he felt like it. Even when the rest of the League was going to turn themselves in for unleashing a orbital laser and killing thousands but thankfully no one died, Batman's like "um actually I'm part time, I don't have to do a thing you say"