Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GimpInBlack posted:

I look forward to reading it in the new year when they finally put out the pdf version.

Maybe they’ll release it early because of Covid!

...yeah, that won’t happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is this the last FFG-made book?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Is this the last FFG-made book?

The Lion book scheduled for early 2021 is the last FFG one

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Oh I thought that was the first under the new company

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Napoleon Nelson posted:

So they're doing clan books again?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dawgstar posted:

So they're doing clan books again?

Not really, all the books are more broad then that and usually focus on a major clan and introduces a minor clan as a playable option. This one is about warfare in general and has a spotlight on the lion clan because its a premiere example to use.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 25, 2020

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, for comparison, the Shadowlands book was considered the 'Crab' book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, I actually really like it because they give each clan a new school and they features clan gets two or three. They have been good so far, and giving people a reason to pick them up is smart.

As a long time Lion player, I am really hoping the pdf gets released in a month or so. Sooner would be better!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not really, all the books are more broad then that and usually focus on a major clan and introduces a minor clan as a playable option. This one is about warfare in general and has a spotlight on the lion clan because its a premiere example to use.

Thanks for the extra detail, I should've been more clear. I tend to find the extra detail on the clans the most interesting part, so that's how I think of the books.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I actually really like it because they give each clan a new school and they features clan gets two or three. They have been good so far, and giving people a reason to pick them up is smart.

As a long time Lion player, I am really hoping the pdf gets released in a month or so. Sooner would be better!

The new book is Phoenix, Lion isn't until 2021.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Tsilkani posted:

The new book is Phoenix, Lion isn't until 2021.

Dang, you are right. Oh well, Phoenix are my number 2 so no harm done.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I finally ordered the corebook and I'd love to get to play the new edition to get a feel for it.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And the last fiction of the current cycle is out.

Akodo Toturi is now just Toturi, once again.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/c1/c0/c1c0280e-662b-470a-a219-529e85a27d6c/12_the_last_leaf_falls-compressed.pdf

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've only recently got into reading the background lore and I have a question. As I understand it, they rebooted the story back to just before the Scorpion Clan Coup happened in the AEG timeline. Reading the Imperial Histories books, there's a lot of stuff that happened hundreds of years ago in the setting, have they retconned any of that stuff or is that all canon?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Neither really.... It's all uncharted territory as they haven't really mentioned it... They tend to stay out of history in the fiction and the books.. other than a few things (like the battle of the cresting wave being the Genesis of the carpenter wall.

So Its really a case of schrodinger's box. It's not canon.. it's not retconned. It's nebulous

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like the conceit of the Imperial History books that a lot of the bad history just isn't recorded. The famine stuff was so good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SirFozzie posted:

Neither really.... It's all uncharted territory as they haven't really mentioned it... They tend to stay out of history in the fiction and the books.. other than a few things (like the battle of the cresting wave being the Genesis of the carpenter wall.

So Its really a case of schrodinger's box. It's not canon.. it's not retconned. It's nebulous

Which really doesn't change much from the history was treated in prior editions. 'The true secret history of The Battle of White Stag' has changed 3-4 times over the course of the game.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The current FFG history is both more and less nebulous than you might think. There is textual evidence to support the cruel reign of Hantei XVI and his fortune-of-torture punishment, there having been a famine and peasant rebellion, and a couple of other bits and bobs to indicate that the general shape of the history is still there, though specific characters, roles, and events may be different from what had been written down in AEG history.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I wonder if we'll get a Toturi's Army Stronghold. Does seem like something FFG would do but who knows.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PaybackJack posted:

I wonder if we'll get a Toturi's Army Stronghold. Does seem like something FFG would do but who knows.

Probably not, assuming Toturi is going to be neutral. Neutral strongholds just don't work well with the rules. There's a "neutral" stronghold in the draft decks, but that's an awkward workaround that gets a clan affiliation immediately.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kaza42 posted:

Probably not, assuming Toturi is going to be neutral. Neutral strongholds just don't work well with the rules. There's a "neutral" stronghold in the draft decks, but that's an awkward workaround that gets a clan affiliation immediately.

Netrunner had those mini-factions. Star Wars had the "split affiliation" cards. Conquest added it's later factions with the deluxe sets so I don't know if that counts. I guess Game of Thrones never did although some of the plots sort of emphasized a more neutral theme.

If the drat role cards weren't so restrictive there could have been some interesting options available there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Bumping this dead-rear end (???) thread to say "thanks" to all the people who helped my group figure out which RPG to play. We ended up going with 4E, because half my friends are 35 y/o dudes with crunchbrain who've only ever played D&D and are resistant to change, but it's going great.

The game is set against the backdrop of a Dragon magistrate's sumo stable, where sinister things are afoot and someone is poisoning - or tainting - people. It's kind of a cross between a murder mystery and an excuse for the GM to show off his extensive love for IRL sumo wrestling, and we're having a lot of fun even though things are moving at a languid pace and we're still learning both the mechanics and the social norms of Rokugan. My character is an Ikoma Shadow, posing as a dumbass playboy and failson omoidasu who would rather write science fiction and erotic poems than record Imperial history; not even his father knows that this is a cover, a gregarious and goofy persona he uses to engage in spycraft on behalf of the Lion. The rest of my group are a wealthy Akodo bushi who's the opposite of my character (an esteemed, socially climbing traditionalist who's privately just a shady dick), a Kuni shugenja who wants to understand and learn from (and wrestle) non-humans rather than murdering them all, and a pragmatic Bayushi duelist who's a model Scorpion.

So far, none of us have been killed or maimed, but I think we've narrowed down our suspects and are careening toward a showdown with a maho cult, so...

Anyway, I'm an L5R fan now. I'm voraciously consuming sourcebooks and stuff to learn more about the setting and lore; I made my character's mom a member of the Kaeru family so I have an excuse to know how to beat the poo poo out of people with a smoking pipe (however impractical), my favorite weird place is Big Stink and its goblins living a parody of samurai life, and my favorite dumb bit of lore is how somebody burned down the Shosuro castle and the fumes killed the whole army because they camped downwind.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 26, 2020

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Welcome. Legend of the Five Rings is cool and you're cooler for knowing it.

I'm still out there playing the card game, hoping it somehow survives COVID because I enjoy it as much as I ever have and dearly wish it could have a new lease on life.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/11/2/an-impossible-task-4/

There's a cool Choose Your Own Adventure story out for l5r, and you can submit your results as a vote on what happens in canon

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Welcome. Legend of the Five Rings is cool and you're cooler for knowing it.

I'm still out there playing the card game, hoping it somehow survives COVID because I enjoy it as much as I ever have and dearly wish it could have a new lease on life.

My playgroup is still chugging along. We just got the 5th and 6th packs last week. Hard to believe the next cycle is already starting this month. The dire keyword seems kind of interesting though as usual with FFG keywords I wish they'd use more of the keywords they already have. New disguised characters would be great, and some other interesting options for rally cards.

I do really like Sudden Tempest as that feels like a great meta card for honor/dishonor without losing tempo. A Season of War does a decent job at being able to clear annoying holdings but it's frustrating when they just flip them again. Sudden Tempest feels like it might actually buy you a turn against Honor or Dishonor.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My favorite bit of lore is 4th wall breaking - the travel times between cities in older versions was really, really wrong. Thing is, it was also penned by an Emperor. Rather than correct it, instead you will arrive way later than what the map says, but you are excused by saying you prayed at every shrine along the way, or some other equally acceptable reason.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the dire keyword and maho spells mechanic are both fascinating and good manipulations of the game's core concepts. I am excited for the new cycle. But as is ever the case I play so infrequently and informally I have no idea what meta decks look like or play like. I've never seen an honor win deck worth its salt for example but I guess those exist now?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah I think the dire keyword and maho spells mechanic are both fascinating and good manipulations of the game's core concepts. I am excited for the new cycle. But as is ever the case I play so infrequently and informally I have no idea what meta decks look like or play like. I've never seen an honor win deck worth its salt for example but I guess those exist now?

I don't know how Crane honor is with the new box but Lion honor has been a hell of a deck since their third Stronghold. Starting with 13 and getting to do shenanigans like resolving the air ring 6 times in a conflict is very helpful for getting that number up. Restricting their attachment and Tsuranuri slowed the deck down a bit but it's still very good.

I'm not sure what's at the top of the meta right now because the clan war fan stuff is hard to parse in small pieces and people seem to place different stuff all the time. I think Nyxnyxnyx is in that so if he pops his head in he can probably weigh in on what is best now.

Scorpion are very good with their new toys of Stoke Insurrection and Kachiko2.

Phoenix has a pretty hot tower, glory based deck that's fun as hell to play.

Crab just got Rebuild back as a conflict character but I don't know if that's made Crabbits a thing again or not. The nerf to Butcher was kind of brutal.

Unicorn scouted terrain decks are extremely fast but I don't know if anyone is really playing them competitively as you need to dodge a lot of event cancels to get that card off and the Phoenix deck I mentioned earlier ran 9, albeit three were Defend Your Honor so only 6 could stop ST. The Scorpion splash I ran with Unicorn could only fit 4 counter-event cancels so need a bit of luck there. I guess people still mostly using HMT in competitive play which I don't know if it has gotten any significant boosts from new cards.

Dragon don't seem very good but I also don't know if the new SH has improved them or not.

Crane seem like their have a pretty annoying deck with their new Gift, and Phoenix splash for Pacifism and Peacemakers blade but how you win beyond that I'm not really sure. You can definitely lock the game down though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, it's been out for a while now; how is Celestial Realms? Anyone get their hands on it yet? I'm curious about a lot of things in it, like how they did the Moshi and the new schools and stuff; I hear that Ishiken aren't connected to a specific clan anymore, for example, and that a lot of the new schools, including the Moshi one, are bushi/shugenja, and I'm wondering how all this was handled.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Celestial Realms has definitely got some power creep in the school designs, with the Shosuro Shadowweaver being the most ridiculous offender. Essentially full access to kata, invocations, and shuji* (technically not full access but with a little planning you can get basically as many as you'd want or need), plus a full suite of ninjutsu, plus the ability to at-will make clouds of darkness you can dump on enemies, plus you get bonus dice if the target are attacking is in darkness. The capstone is thematically super cool, but the rest is just ridiculous. I kinda tuned out on the schools after that.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
It's kinda sad that the Scorps horde all the overpowered schools.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Designer favoritism afflicts many games and a franchise that encourages people to become attached to particular factions like L5R is very prone to it. I sometimes wonder looking at the Scorpion Clan's near-perpetual perch at the top of the LCG power rankings and some of the sweet cards the clan gets if someone on the L5R creative team is a Bayushi Bro. I'm Scorpion forever so it could be worse but I wonder.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dick Burglar posted:

Celestial Realms has definitely got some power creep in the school designs, with the Shosuro Shadowweaver being the most ridiculous offender. Essentially full access to kata, invocations, and shuji* (technically not full access but with a little planning you can get basically as many as you'd want or need), plus a full suite of ninjutsu, plus the ability to at-will make clouds of darkness you can dump on enemies, plus you get bonus dice if the target are attacking is in darkness. The capstone is thematically super cool, but the rest is just ridiculous. I kinda tuned out on the schools after that.

Jeez, that's pretty ridiculous. It definitely sounds like they went overboard there.

I've heard conflicting things about how they did the Moshi, meanwhile. On the one hand, Bushi/Shugenja with full kata access and they can heal with fire invocations, but on the other, apparently they only get fire invocations (despite text previously stating that they're skilled with Air as well?) and they literally cannot deal damage to humans who aren't tainted with their fire stuff either, or something. It sounds... Different, to say the least.

Also, ishiken get some whole new system or something, I'm not sure what's going on there. They're shugenja, but not really because they don't get any invocations, only their new Void stuff.

Those are the two I've heard the most about so far, not that I've heard much. Was interested in what people more familiar with the book and system thought and stuff.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The Ishiken get regular invocations as well, although it's limited until you hit 5th rank.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, so they're in their "curriculum" rather than something they just get normal access to, then, or something like that? I believe that's how the Moshi are too; they don't have invocations in their available techniques, but they have fire invocations available in each rank of their school.

...Does that mean that, once they reach rank 6, they can't learn invocations anymore? I can't remember if you're still allowed to buy things from lower ranks that you wouldn't have access to otherwise, or if ranking up past them removes that opportunity if you didn't take it at the time. That seems like a potential issue if there's not something I'm missing or forgetting.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Once you leave a rank, you lose access to the privileged access that rank provided. So yeah, once they reach rank 6 they can't learn invocations anymore. Quality design, huh.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Once you leave a rank, you lose access to the privileged access that rank provided. So yeah, once they reach rank 6 they can't learn invocations anymore. Quality design, huh.

Reach rank 6? What the hell kinda campaigns are you guys playing?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Reach rank 6? What the hell kinda campaigns are you guys playing?

World spanning epics where my players get to be important people who make real changes to the world and /or universe.

My previous campaign, which I'm running a sequel to now, had pc thunders, resulted in entire concepts being permanently killed, and was generally a loving awesome riot. The campaign summary I wrote for the start of the sequel was basically novella length.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 6, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

World spanning epics where my players get to be important people who make real changes to the world and /or universe.

My previous campaign, which I'm running a sequel to now, had pc thunders, resulted in entire concepts being permanently killed, and was generally a loving awesome riot. The campaign summary I wrote for the start of the sequel was basically novella length.

That sounds pretty rad, but I think it is pretty safe to say that you have gone way beyond the need for rules after a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The nice thing is, with the advent of titles and bonds and I think some other mechanic I'm completely forgetting, even after reaching rank 6, there's always something to work toward.